Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Loxbourne posted:

Wasn't there a Concierge-only card at some point? I remember the uproar when CIG cack-handedly had it shipped directly to their rich backers who duly got customs declarations saying the card was worth exactly $1 apiece.

I know there was a card you could explicitly buy, and I recall there being a concierge card. Maybe it was when you reached concierge level you had the option to buy the card.

Was concierge $1,000, or $10,000? I know StreetRoller was well under $10g, but he did order and receive a card. Was $10g just for the special in game club, or something? I know there was something at $1g, and something else at $10g, but so much has happened with this project it's hard to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

I just want to post this story, because, really, how could I not post this thing:

http://zimbabwe-today.com/gay-baboon-terrorises-villagers-in-southafrica-rapes-5-men/

Some men will make up the craziest stories to get away with wearing women's clothes :rolleyes:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

XK posted:

I know there was a card you could explicitly buy, and I recall there being a concierge card. Maybe it was when you reached concierge level you had the option to buy the card.

Was concierge $1,000, or $10,000? I know StreetRoller was well under $10g, but he did order and receive a card. Was $10g just for the special in game club, or something? I know there was something at $1g, and something else at $10g, but so much has happened with this project it's hard to remember.
You aren't poo poo if you don't have a Golden Ticket.
:smug:

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Nothing is funnier than a dog in a formal outfit. Look it up on the internets.

XK posted:

Yeah there was a metal-ish silver card I got with the Rear Admiral package from KS days. Had my call sign on it and some other crap. Can't be arsed to find it at the moment. When I got my refund they didn't mention it or deduct from the amount they sent back. So I guess I scammed CIG. Take that CR!! :agesilaus:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66i0j2/this_is_how_ive_felt_about_referrals_since_the/dgimqyn/

People are apparently still working hard to get in the MMHC. $31,680 worth of referrals right here.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

DarkRefreshment posted:

Yeah there was a metal-ish silver card I got with the Rear Admiral package from KS days. Had my call sign on it and some other crap. Can't be arsed to find it at the moment. When I got my refund they didn't mention it or deduct from the amount they sent back. So I guess I scammed CIG. Take that CR!! :agesilaus:

If you still have the packaging it came in, the value of the card is listed as $1.

:D Quite a return on investment there :D

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

MilesK posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/66i0j2/this_is_how_ive_felt_about_referrals_since_the/dgimqyn/

People are apparently still working hard to get in the MMHC. $31,680 worth of referrals right here.
Ya but how many knives have they sold?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

DarkRefreshment posted:

I hope you are back for good, Loiosh. You were a level-headed, non-spaz, non-Toast, CIG defender I actually liked reading an opposing viewpoint from

:same:

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Spectrum FLYING today!

18 posts in the last hour in the general forum. Must be eagerly awaiting the ATV. 1.7 million strong.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Sabreseven posted:

If you still have the packaging it came in, the value of the card is listed as $1.

I remember working up the value of actual metal cards, which I think were originally heavily implied (or explicitly promised, who loving remembers), and it was something like $0.20 a piece. I'm pretty sure anyone only got plastic cards.

Metal cards are dumb, due to bending and what not, but I'm pretty sure I remember metal cards being a thing for at least the higher end buyers.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

thatguy posted:

Ya but how many knives have they sold?

If I ever get into a game I feel compelled to buy ads for, I hope somebody kidnaps me and puts in an anti-brainwashing program.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

It's a shame that Grim Dawn is so low. It is such a good game.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

XK posted:

I remember working up the value of actual metal cards, which I think were originally heavily implied (or explicitly promised, who loving remembers), and it was something like $0.20 a piece. I'm pretty sure anyone only got plastic cards.

Metal cards are dumb, due to bending and what not, but I'm pretty sure I remember metal cards being a thing for at least the higher end buyers.

I think I remember they did a thing where you could upgrade the plastic card to a metal one, for a nominal charge of course, but it didn't run for very long :D

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Even though I don't remember it clearly, the metal card thing must've happened, otherwise I wouldn't have the memory of looking up the prices of having metal cards made.

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Sabreseven posted:

:homebrew: Hell yeah! :homebrew:

I like to think that dollar saved one, possibly two doughnuts from :lesnick:

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

MilesK posted:

Jesus Christ, it really is a literal multilevel marketing scheme, isn't it?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/855162421903863810

*planets not included.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

That wasn't even originally shown as a planetary outpost. Cool to see all this 1-2 year old media reposted as a new feature or possibility.

What type of shitpost are you all hoping to find?

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 20, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

MinorInconvenience posted:

Jesus Christ, it really is a literal multilevel marketing scheme, isn't it?

What you dont call referrals prospects, recruits, and converts depending on if they buy in for initiation?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SCDead2Rights/status/855133421588369408

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
if they really believed in the project they'd get a bar citizen tattoo

patches are weak poo poo, show me your colors cuz

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
this is a good read and prob why CIG has dozens of companies

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/09/how-hollywood-accounting-can-make-a-450-million-movie-unprofitable/245134/

DarkRefreshment
May 5, 2015

Holy hell, that makes a ton of since considering CRs stint of dreams in Hollywood.

I now await our Warlord to show us how this ties to the mafia and CR being the head fluffer for the devil.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"Fully realistic physics model" :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

"Look, the money is all gone. We used backer funds to buy companies that we just made up that were owned in whole by friends and family. In retrospect, it was a bad idea now that CIG is bankrupt but those shell corps really appreciated us buying them for exorbitant amounts of money."

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

hot balls man no homo posted:

"Look, the money is all gone. We used backer funds to buy companies that we just made up that were owned in whole by friends and family. In retrospect, it was a bad idea now that CIG is bankrupt but those shell corps really appreciated us buying them for exorbitant amounts of money."

There are ways to get back transfers made to insiders that leave a company insolvent. It can be tough, but it's possible.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

That's a nice quick explanation, yes.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
wasn't there already speculation or proof of assets and work being transferred between all the shell companies which have Erin, Sandi, Ortwin and Co as heads of companies?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I've seen this and all I can think is that this is exactly what it is like to be a sperm racing down the inside of a penis.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

MinorInconvenience posted:

There are ways to get back transfers made to insiders that leave a company insolvent. It can be tough, but it's possible.

And the backers that have mere hundreds sunk into this mess won't have the drive or resources to chase that money. Maybe some of the whales might but they'll have to get in line behind any shadow investors that get the biggest cuts from liquidated Restoration Hardware furniture and any cash that can be squeezed from the executives.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Loiosh posted:

I thought about it but never refunded. I was disappointed by 2.0 release and have not touched SC since trying out 2.4. I've been enjoying the redesigned ATV show, where they rotate through the studios and have one give a presentation of their work over the last month. I watch that every week and hope for the game to continue to make regular improvements, but the things I want to do are not in. I'll give it another go at 3.0.

Games I've played since SC 2.0:
Night in the Woods - Great
Snake Pass - Okay
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Meh
Rain World - Dark Souls the side-scroller
GTA 5 - Had a lot of fun in MP with this
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Pretty okay
Dishonored 2 - Great
Mad Max - Meh
Else Heart.Break() - Amazing, everyone should play this
For Honor - Meh
Hacknet - Fun
Owlboy - Great
Oxenfree - Great
Seasons after fall - Cute

And lots of books, though I'm reading less now due to work.

Whoa I didn't even say your name three times!

Thanks for setting the record straight. :)

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I've seen this and all I can think is that this is exactly what it is like to be a sperm racing down the inside of a penis.

That is one darn long and oddly shaped penis. :roflolmao:

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

I think we all know it can't be a scam if 300 employees are working on a game.

boootcha posted:

Why would I jump off a money train that was set to revolutionize gaming as we previously knew it?

Because in the process of asking those tough questions, I found a very rotten core of top management that would torpedo development of the product on its own. Redunant reworking on assets that should have been set in stone years ago. Grevious losses of internal development knowledge with the departure of senior key staff. Questionable financial assets AND expenditures overseen by a key executive that was part of THE largest video game industry scam (Gizmondo). Worrying expenses allocated to non-core development (extensive A-list acting talent for SQ42 MoCap at one of the most expensive MoCap facilitators, Imaginarium, when funds had been allocated to serve this same purpose for cheaper).

backer-paid executive vacations to Monaco, the hiring of Franklin Global Security Consulting to harass no less than 3 ex-employees in an attempt to pin the 2015 "leak" on them, and the continued full salary payment of part-time executive staff while they pursue employment in other industries.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sabreseven posted:

That is one darn long and oddly shaped penis. :roflolmao:

please stop i was born this way

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Haaaaa! :D

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Loiosh posted:

I thought about it but never refunded. I was disappointed by 2.0 release and have not touched SC since trying out 2.4. I've been enjoying the redesigned ATV show, where they rotate through the studios and have one give a presentation of their work over the last month. I watch that every week and hope for the game to continue to make regular improvements, but the things I want to do are not in. I'll give it another go at 3.0.

Games I've played since SC 2.0:
Night in the Woods - Great
Snake Pass - Okay
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Meh
Rain World - Dark Souls the side-scroller
GTA 5 - Had a lot of fun in MP with this
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Pretty okay
Dishonored 2 - Great
Mad Max - Meh
Else Heart.Break() - Amazing, everyone should play this
For Honor - Meh
Hacknet - Fun
Owlboy - Great
Oxenfree - Great
Seasons after fall - Cute

And lots of books, though I'm reading less now due to work.

Hacknet is a heap of fun, recommended!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Nuclearmonkee posted:

We were all sperm once. Or as I like to call it, Chris Roberts Alpha 0.1. Just got to go back far enough and at some point we all branch from the same long, throbbing, lightning and goo filled tunnel.

Only the lucky of us got to be Chris Roberts though. The rest of us are just sperm whales for his amusement.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

The Titanic posted:

We were all sperm once. Or as I like to call it, Chris Roberts Alpha 0.1. Just got to go back far enough and at some point we all branch from the same long, throbbing, lightning and goo filled tunnel.

Only the lucky of us got to be Chris Roberts though. The rest of us are just sperm whales for his amusement.

:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Do you want to be a janitor in the BDSSE, pushing a high fidelity mop for 8 hours a day, scrimping and saving for months, dreaming of finally buying your own POS 2nd hand Aurora?