Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

ukrainius maximus posted:

Since I still really know nothing about cameras, besides an SD card or two, what type of lens (or 2) should I be looking to get her to pair with this?

Instead of the 35mm lens mentioned before I'd rather get the 40mm f/2.8 macro instead. Pretty close in focal length, amazingly sharp, fantastic walk around lens with the added bonus of being able to get close to subjects if you want to thanks to the macro capability.

And yeh, I also jumped from a D3100 to the D7100 within a matter of months because it just offers so much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Obviously we should all be recommending the A9. It's cheap. :v:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Odette posted:

Obviously we should all be recommending the A9. It's cheap. :v:

if they can get that fps up to 24 then we can just hold the shutter button to make 20mp movies.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
In looking for a first DLSR to start learning with, I found what I thought was a deal on a used Nikon D3000 with AF-S 18-55mm II and 55-200mm Lenses and a shutter count under 7000. Paid under $200. How did I do?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
You did well. $200 for an up-and-running 2-lens setup (I'm assuming you also got the necessary stuff like a battery and charger, and a memory card - or you already had one) is a good price.

The next time somebody wanders in here with a simple question and a tight budget, please re-post your story (just that one line is fine) when one of us illiterate monkeys starts talking about $2000+ setups as the minimum necessary.

Seriously, you did great, as long as you use your camera! Now post some pictures in the threads around here.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hey, I only recommended the 7100 because other guy was selling it for very near his price.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

If you don't sell your car to get the best camera possible then your cat pictures will never win any awards I'm sorry to say.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I have a D3200 but only have the kit lenses at the moment. Can anyone recommend a nice upgraded lens? I mainly shoot short-distance outdoors/cityscape stuff. I would like to upgrade to a better DSLR in the future, so if there is a lens that I can take with me when I upgrade, that would be great.

Price doesn't matter too much.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

succ posted:

I have a D3200 but only have the kit lenses at the moment. Can anyone recommend a nice upgraded lens? I mainly shoot short-distance outdoors/cityscape stuff. I would like to upgrade to a better DSLR in the future, so if there is a lens that I can take with me when I upgrade, that would be great.

Price doesn't matter too much.

I would say a 50mm 1.8f lens is a good next step after the kit lens. You'll learn about prime lenses, what 50mm means, and have a lens that's good for low light.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The 35mm is a better lens for DX imo. But try both focal lengths using your kit lens and see which one works better for you.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

The 35mm is a better lens for DX imo. But try both focal lengths using your kit lens and see which one works better for you.

This, the crop factor for the 3100 is 1.6 which puts a 35mm a bit past 50mm.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Agreed, remember to go *1.5 the focal length for an APS-C sensor if you want the full frame equivalent

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Ok so I swear this is the last question, but I'm still confused about lenses. I appreciate all of the replies but some of it is going over my head.

I don't think the camera I bought comes with a kit lens since it'd body only, so that's out for now.

The three suggestions you all gave me were: 18-55 kit lens, f1.8 35MM prime lens, and one guy said the 40mm f/2.8 macro. Another dude posted that I should be able to get the 18-55 kit lens from B&H for $50-60, but I'm not seeing that.

When I search for these online there's all different flavors and I'm kind of confused. I hope it's not too much to ask, but could anyone help me out with links to what I should be looking for exactly?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ok so I swear this is the last question, but I'm still confused about lenses. I appreciate all of the replies but some of it is going over my head.

I don't think the camera I bought comes with a kit lens since it'd body only, so that's out for now.

The three suggestions you all gave me were: 18-55 kit lens, f1.8 35MM prime lens, and one guy said the 40mm f/2.8 macro. Another dude posted that I should be able to get the 18-55 kit lens from B&H for $50-60, but I'm not seeing that.

When I search for these online there's all different flavors and I'm kind of confused. I hope it's not too much to ask, but could anyone help me out with links to what I should be looking for exactly?
You will want to look for DX-format compatible, which is Nikon's APS-C mount. Lens nomenclature is often confusing so you might need to Google some of the terms. VR means vibration reduction, which helps reduce camera shake when shooting in low shutter speeds. I'm not familiar with the others.

18-55mm AF-P kit lens: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1275038-REG/nikon_20059_af_p_dx_nikkor_18_55mm.html
35mm f/1.8 G prime: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/606792-USA/Nikon_2183_AF_S_Nikkor_35mm_f_1_8G.html
40mm f/2.8 macro: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/810414-USA/Nikon_2200_40_mm_f_2_8G_AF_S.html?sts=pi

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Awesome, thank you my man!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Beaten..
Look around​ and try and find them used somewhere, takes more patience but saves money.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Awesome, thank you my man!
Glad to help.

Actually, if you want a general-purpose zoom, the Tamron 17-50mm non-VC is just $50 more new. Its maximum aperture is fixed at f/2.8 (compared to f/3.5-f/5.6 of the kit zoom), and the image quality is a lot better. The tradeoff is you lose the VR and the autofocus is slower (which may be a dealbreaker if you plan on shooting sports or kids). Personally, kit lenses aren't worth on their own...

Link: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550954-REG/Tamron_AF016NII_700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di_II.html

Lily Catts fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 25, 2017

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I've been looking to put a DSLR on my registry for my honeymoon in August. Will be taking lots of wildlife and landscape shots. I think I've narrowed it down to a Nikon 3300/3400 or a Pentax KS2 based on reviews. The Nikon would be a little cheaper on the body, and have much cheaper lenses. But the Pentax is weather-sealed and my brother & aunt each have Pentaxs (they live in Asia and Europe).

Unfortunately according to Pentax's site there doesn't seem to be anyone in Colorado who has a KS2 for me to hold.

Advice?

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Edit: nvm I completely missed the point.

Lysandus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 11, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got a D3400 and highly recommend it if that's one of your choices.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The $100 difference on bodies and twice that on lenses is hard to beat, but I keep thinking I'd like the weatherproofing.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Isn't the autofocus on Pentax bodies kinda underwhelming?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Speleothing posted:

The $100 difference on bodies and twice that on lenses is hard to beat, but I keep thinking I'd like the weatherproofing.

How often will you be wanting to stand in the rain taking photos?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
You may want to compare the color rendition between those Nikon and Pentax bodies. Search Flickr for wildlife/landscape photos taken using the gear you're looking at. This is quite important because while you could tinker with the colors in Lightroom, it's best to get them right straight out of camera.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'm a big fan of the weathersealing on my Pentax. It's one less thing to worry about - I don't care if it's a bit drizzly or if I put my camera down on wet vegetation (I do this every drat day - I'm working in wetlands this month!). I love having water-resistant electronics - I can wash the dirt off my phone's screen in the sink. I can drop my camera in a snowbank to make an instant tripod.

Hdip posted:

How often will you be wanting to stand in the rain taking photos?
I have no way of answering this question, despite more than 5 years of shooting 95% of my pictures outdoors, year-round. Sometimes? It certainly happens on purpose - rain does lovely and interesting things to landscapes and architecture photos - and it also happens by accident. No worries!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 11, 2017

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I'm leaning hard towards a d3400 to shoot video with because it seems to be the only one under $600 that shoots 1080p @ 60 fps. I also want to take pretty pictures of things.

Would you guys recommend anything else? I'm new at this, and it's kinda overwhelming.

edit: also looking at the Lumix g7

DEAR RICHARD fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 16, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

gx85 and gx8 (if you can find deals for gx8) can do both of those at your price.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I will vouch for the D3400 being excellent though, I love this camera and am taking some amazing shots imo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Can that do more than 30 mins sequential?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Can that do more than 30 mins sequential?

No and the restriction is mostly to do with EU rules rather than tech limitations. Any camera which can record video for more than 30 continuous minutes is a video camera under EU import rules and is subject to different tariffs. That's why most (all?) still cameras with video capabilities are limited to 30 minute captures.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Panasonic either pays the extra tax to make it a video camera or they have EU specific models. If you don't need > 30 mins it's worthless obviously. A lot of panas have mic in too although I'm not sure offhand which.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Just bought the Nikon D3400 with the 2 kit lenses from store. My very first camera. Pull into parking lot in Boston and there's an older guy with a construction shirt on taking pictures of some buildings. Get to talking to him for 10 minutes and come to find out he takes pictures for construction sites when they're doing blasting in the area - takes on average 500 a day. He's been shooting with Nikons for 50 years. Such a weird coincidence I was sitting there with the unopened box on my lap. Totally just got me excited about photography after kind of being like "wow I just spent a lot of money on something I think I'll love but I'm not positive"

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Excellent! Now go and take a lot of desaturated pictures of car parks and lone chairs juxtaposed with industrial plumbing.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I'm considering the D3400 for my first DSLR. Found a good price on Cameta which seems legit enough. And then I read some guys review that said stick with the 3300 because it had more features? Either way I need to stop by a camera shop first and see how they feel.

But that looks like the full starter kit. Body, lens, battery. I've got plenty of SD cards. That should be the bare minimum I need to start shooting.

Ah poo poo just found this cheap 5200 on some site I've never heard of. Seems like this could be in the Too Good to Be True range.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rakuten bought out Play.com in the UK who used to be great, and so they are 'legit' in the fact they're a real company. They sound like an absolute pain in the rear end to deal with from what I've seen on a quick google and claim to be 'middle men' so yeah... sounds like worth avoiding. There are so many scams and shady deals in photography, if the price isn't somewhat close to what you see on Adorama or B&H without a good reason, then be suspicious.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The 5200 is 4 years older than the 3400, which has mostly caught up feature-wise despite being their lowest-tier line, and has some better features. For example it has bluetooth which will let you transfer photos to your phone easily without having to first go home and transfer them off your SD card to your computer. People generally advise to skip the mid-range nikons and go with the 3xxx series if you're just starting out, or the 7xxx series if you can justify the added features or can afford it.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Good to know, thanks.

Now I'm considering a bigger starter kit with the extra zoom lens D3400 $420 since I'm going to want another lens eventually anyways. I've been shooting a lot of landscape, lakes, etc with some occasional wildlife lately.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BrainMeats posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Now I'm considering a bigger starter kit with the extra zoom lens D3400 $420 since I'm going to want another lens eventually anyways. I've been shooting a lot of landscape, lakes, etc with some occasional wildlife lately.

As a D3400 owner I highly recommend that deal!

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Does the D3400 have bracketing? Because as a D3300 that's my biggest complaint-- it's frankly pathetic that my 13-year old D70 has software features that the D3300/D3400 don't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

Excellent! Now go and take a lot of desaturated pictures of car parks and lone chairs juxtaposed with industrial plumbing.

Be sure to use selective color - only the chair should not be black and white.

• Locked thread