Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks all, for the Nier suggests... I may try to put some more time into it.. and like I said, I enjoy it. It just hasn't like, GRABBED me. (like, I played Flinthook yesterday, and was like, huh, this is weird, kinda hard, and today... it just GRABBED me and I loving love it.)

But if a big part of what makes Nier so great is like, story or delivery-related, maybe I should just read/youtube it. The fighting isn't bad but it's nothing to be excited about. Running around gets a little tedious...

I will give it one more shot and try my best to ignore ANYTHING that looks side-questy.

How long should it take to complete Game A if I ignore sides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

My problem with the super open exploration of BotW is it kind of made everything feel... flat. You're never actually in a canyon; you're a gust, endura shroom, or tedious climb away from the top.

Also, the cooking made the difficulty more "How much do you like pressing the same button combo, over and over and over" than actually skill based. I mean, Zelda games are rarely hard, but they do at least limit your healing. I'd much rather they halved the damage the big guys do, and make it so you can't carry 40+ full heals.

It's a great game, but I wish I understood why people feel it's the best game ever.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Feenix posted:

Thanks all, for the Nier suggests... I may try to put some more time into it.. and like I said, I enjoy it. It just hasn't like, GRABBED me. (like, I played Flinthook yesterday, and was like, huh, this is weird, kinda hard, and today... it just GRABBED me and I loving love it.)

But if a big part of what makes Nier so great is like, story or delivery-related, maybe I should just read/youtube it. The fighting isn't bad but it's nothing to be excited about. Running around gets a little tedious...

I will give it one more shot and try my best to ignore ANYTHING that looks side-questy.

Where you are if you go straight thought probable 4ish more hours? Stuff will happen. Also some of your complaints will...change, keep playing. Im torn to not spoiler you and encourage you.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

If I recall correctly where you said you were, I think you have one more area and then you're at the point of no return end game where things start getting so crazy that it should just cruise by. In hours I'd say you have 2-3 hours left in Game A.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'll do It, chums!!!!

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Oh god I am bad at Bloodborne.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nichol posted:

Nah.

Let us know if you want pointer or need help.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nichol posted:

How many hours did you spend in Central Yharnam? If it's less than 15 then no

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Unreal_One posted:

My problem with the super open exploration of BotW is it kind of made everything feel... flat. You're never actually in a canyon; you're a gust, endura shroom, or tedious climb away from the top.

You have nearly unlimited options to leave the canyon, but there are also many reasons to stay in and explore the canyon. It is not a "canyon" dungeon instance, nor should it ever be.

quote:

Also, the cooking made the difficulty more "How much do you like pressing the same button combo, over and over and over" than actually skill based. I mean, Zelda games are rarely hard, but they do at least limit your healing. I'd much rather they halved the damage the big guys do, and make it so you can't carry 40+ full heals.

It's a great game, but I wish I understood why people feel it's the best game ever.

You could also not cook those things. Cooking certain fruits and vegetables can give you full heals, and you're absolutely choosing to give yourself that power while complaining about how said power makes it too easy. Imagine playing FF6 and power leveling with Vanish-Doom to Level 99. You don't really get the right to complain that "battles became really easy once I became god-like."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nichol posted:

More reason to git gud. :getin:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Something just isn't gelling with me in H:ZD. I was able to tranq and extract entire countries in MGS5, even before getting the easy-mode companion, but in H:ZD, dinobots just seem to materialize out of nowhere, enemies pick me out of tall grass with ease, I dunno. I gave up on one mission after dying trying the stealth and trap route so many times, and just ran in berzerkering with the spear and did way better.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

TheCenturion posted:

Something just isn't gelling with me in H:ZD. I was able to tranq and extract entire countries in MGS5, even before getting the easy-mode companion, but in H:ZD, dinobots just seem to materialize out of nowhere, enemies pick me out of tall grass with ease, I dunno. I gave up on one mission after dying trying the stealth and trap route so many times, and just ran in berzerkering with the spear and did way better.

Some dinos have a radar that can spot you through tall grass, and are also networked with the other dinos, so if you don't take them out first (you can shoot their radars off), stealth won't work in those situations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TheCenturion posted:

If you're playing on Hard or above then just about every pack has the ability to kill you very quickly. It's important to scan the enemies with your focus for weak points and study their vulnerabilities, then apply status effects with your bow/sling. Status effects and elemental resist potions are really strong in this game against machines that use them. Roll is also really good and a dodge when that exclamation point(!) lights up followed by Aloy's R2 is enough to bring down most machines Ravager-sized and under, where you can then use an R1 critical or bombard them with grenades. Be sure to max out the Concentration skill tree for your Bow if you haven't already and stick +handling mods in your Ropecaster.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

New Hot Shots Golf finally has an overseas release date and, surprise, it's coming out before the Japanese version! North America gets it on August 29th, and Europe gets it on the 30th. The name of the game is finally unified globally as it's now Everybody's Golf in all 3 regions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbv5qnspMQg

You can pre-order it now on the PSN. Costs $39.99 USD!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Policenaut posted:

New Hot Shots Golf finally has an overseas release date and, surprise, it's coming out before the Japanese version! North America gets it on August 29th, and Europe gets it on the 30th. The name of the game is finally unified globally as it's now Everybody's Golf in all 3 regions.

Hell yeah, the only golf game better than Mario Golf.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fancy Hat! posted:

Hell yeah, the only golf game better than Mario Golf.

:laffo: You can get Neo "literally the best golf game that has ever or will ever be made" Turf Masters on PS4 for $7.99 (I do love Mario Golf though).

I never thought there'd be another Hot Shots Golf, this is awesome. :D

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Hell yeah!

About time it got its true, rightful name in all regions

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Nichol posted:

Are you still in Central Yarnham?

-Remember after almost* any hit you take, for about a second after that you regain life for hitting enemies, so a lot of times it's good to just go nuts, you'll be surprised how often you'll come out on top from that. The rioting pitchfork dudes/etc. that are plentiful early on actually give you back life when hit during this time even after they're killed so it can be pretty easy to stay full if you play aggressively.

-When you get passed the huge bonfire with the sealed underpass with the hunchback behind it (you'll know). Whether you fight that guy or not instead of going where it seems you're suppose to go up the stairs, on the other side of the area you'll see some boxes and barrels you can break through for a shortcut. Poke around there and you can find another lmap to light for a new checkpoint.

-Do you see how some of the homes have a red light in the window? You can approach those and talk to get more info and do some stuff/get an item in some cases, like with a lot of From's games talk to people repeatedly until they repeat themselves so you don't miss anything.

-Those hunchback giant dudes? Use those to practice parrying with since they have very obvious tells for their attacks.

-When you eventually are on the long narrow bridge that crosses a chunk of the area, there'll be some werewolves lurking on it. These guys are very territorial so don't hesitate to just leave them alone. I think they mentioned it already but if you do fight them, fire does really good damage against beast type enemies like them.

-The areas will seem complex but are pretty coherently connected. So if you see an elevator that can't be activated, you know you can try to work your way to wherever it would go up to to unlock a shortcut you can then take back and forth whenever.

*Doesn't work on some boss attacks later in the game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Bombadilillo posted:

While I agree with all these statements, the majority of my time it was going place to place in a large open world I didn't like going though. The missions where it got linear were amazing and super fun. I wish the whole game was linear honestly. It felt like a chore to get the good parts that were in fact very very good.

I really liked the setting in HZD so I liked exploring it and the world was small enough that I never got tired of it. It does help that it was strikingly beautiful and varied and colorful and while you couldn't "climb" anywhere, you could jump anywhere except a couple areas where they placed invisible walls for story reasons. Zelda was really fun for a while and I liked the exploration mechanics like hang-glider/climbing a ton but it started to eventually get some of the same problems as other open world games where it was huge but full of copy-pasted content like the same goblin encounters, very similar or simple shrines, the same seed puzzles, etc. For me, I think it could have benefited from a more focused world. But this is something I've been complaining about since GTA San Andreas and other people seem to love those games so it might just be my problem.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I started to get bored in HZD but realized I was sidequesting and macguffin hunting too much so I resumed the story and had a blast all the way through, with shorter breaks for loving off. Once I have a gap in gaming I want to start a new game and do story only.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Zelda is a weird game to me, having just finished it. I liked it quite a bit! It's definitely the best Zelda game they've ever made (which probably doesn't count for much coming from me since I've disliked every Zelda since lttp until now). But it still felt wildly overhyped to me and I wouldn't place it above any of the other games I've beaten this year so far.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its very bad at being a zelda game actually.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
The main quest of HZD is the part that makes it a game worthy of praise, the side quests are good enough to not make you hate them but only a couple of them are really super interesting. I think a lot of people might be burning themselves out trying to complete side content, if it doesn't seem fun just keep trucking with the main story. There is a LOT more to it than you probably think, all my friends who played it after me thought they were close to the end when they were only scratching the surface of the main plot and had been doing so many side quests.

IMO it starts to get really going starting from the story mission where you climb the ruins of the FARO office tower and see Elizibet and Teds first discussion (minor spoiler, and is about the midpoint of the game mission wise)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I like Zelda and a lot of the things it does. I love the attention to detail in such a big sprawling game. But I really don't enjoy the shrines, which given that they're such a key part of progression in the game ended up being too much of an obstacle to continue. Other than that it would be close between Zelda and HZD. Beyond the "open world" they're very different games and I think the need to compare only really comes from the proximity of their release and how well received they were.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I actually had a lot of fun exploring and doing all the side stuff in Horizon, to the point where I basically did half the story in one go at the very end after spending 20 hours loving around.

If the combat doesn't feel right to you, you basically have to treat it more like a shooter -- Aloy can really rapid fire the bow and making new arrows is basically like reloading. Tearing off pieces of armor and components should be a priority in fights, it feels really good to rip off an enemy's artillery and then turn it against them for massive damage

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zelda was really cool. It had a really cool sense of exploration that few games nail so well. It also gets really samey after a while and Nintendos hardware just did not pull off the scope they wanted. The pop in and loss off detail was actually pretty damaging to the game imo and I'm not even a graphics whore. I do hope more open world games taken the same approach to discovering things as Zelda because it's way more satisfying than traveling to an icon on a map.

I liked HZD better but it's probably in part that I played it first. I actually 100% Horizon and I never do that.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hzds combat needs to tell you to just buy a purple bow cause i played a long time not realizing

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

Hzds combat needs to tell you to just buy a purple bow cause i played a long time not realizing

I wouldn't have even known about tearblast arrows except someone mentioned them here and I was like "huh I should look into that" and they were so fun. It is a flaw in general about the game that it isn't great about weapon/item progression. You could play most or even all of the game without enjoying some of the most fun and interesting tools available. They should have come up with some more quests that specifically had you use certain weapon for things or even just had NPC's suggest certain things to you at places like the hunting grounds.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

One of the biggest tips for Bloodborne and Dark Souls is that unless you're fighting a boss, you don't have to kill anything.

Like, there's a giant staircase in the Dark Souls 3 DLC with a bunch of Harald knights. I bothered with kiting out two or three, but when three more showed up... gently caress that, they're slow, jumping into the swamp.

The werewolves on the bridge in Bloodborne are notorious for murdering new players. Just run! They can't get into the house!

Obviously you don't want to run everywhere, but there's no reason to beat your head against a wall if you're up against some bullshit encounter. It's not like Bayonetta or something – the only grade you get is alive or dead.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

One of the biggest tips for Bloodborne and Dark Souls is that unless you're fighting a boss, you don't have to kill anything.

Like, there's a giant staircase in the Dark Souls 3 DLC with a bunch of Harald knights. I bothered with kiting out two or three, but when three more showed up... gently caress that, they're slow, jumping into the swamp.

The werewolves on the bridge in Bloodborne are notorious for murdering new players. Just run! They can't get into the house!

Obviously you don't want to run everywhere, but there's no reason to beat your head against a wall if you're up against some bullshit encounter. It's not like Bayonetta or something – the only grade you get is alive or dead.

I feel like it's a pretty natural step for most people to try at least one time but agreed it is a huge tactic for those games. I still remember just being exasperated and saying gently caress it while I mad dashed to the bonfire etc. and being surprised that I made it but also amazed that it worked and I could just do that. Watching a speedrun can show you just how ridiculous it is where you only have to kill the bosses basically and can take virtually no damage and spend the rest of the game just jogging around

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, but speedruns are done by experienced experts. New players should fight basic enemies both to learn how fighting in the game actually works and to earn souls to harden themselves up for the required bosses.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Fighting should absolutely be the default choice. I guess when I hear about people that are spending 15 hours in Central Yharnam, I'm imagining people carefully drawing out 14 peasants in a row, getting killed by the 15th, starting over, again and again. In that case a light jog through an area you already know too well might save a lot of time and frustration.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Fight while you explore. Run past while you boss run as needed.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Sometimes I "noped" out of fights in Bloodborne while exploring but it's when it looked really bad and I don't have a lot of vials. But then sometimes once I'd stealthed past them, it turns out they had a view on me elsewhere and they stab me in the back and I should have killed them.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Why do people in Games do that?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Fighting should absolutely be the default choice. I guess when I hear about people that are spending 15 hours in Central Yharnam, I'm imagining people carefully drawing out 14 peasants in a row, getting killed by the 15th, starting over, again and again. In that case a light jog through an area you already know too well might save a lot of time and frustration.

Yeah that's a good way to sum up how to play any souls game. You should drop every enemy in an area once to find items and hidden paths. After that just run through it and kill anything that is getting in your way which is often nothing. There are very few bosses in the whole series that take more than a minute or 2 to run to if you just ignore the enemies.

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Why do people in Games do that?

do what?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Unreal_One posted:

For me it comes down to how BotW puts player agency front and center and never compromises it for anything. It's astounding that a 40-100 hour game works so well with absolutely no rails after the opening hours. Being able to truly go anywhere and do anything in any order or not at all makes it fundamentally different from other games that are supposedly in the same genre. Your brain is doing completely different things when it's parsing a physical environment on its own and deciding what it wants to explore vs. following checkpoints and collecting icons to push the story forward. The former feels like freedom in an open world and the latter feels like I'm a rat being given pellets in exchange for navigating parts of a maze. There's no other game that comes close to pairing so much freedom with so much fun, which is why a month after beating it I still can't shake the feeling that it's the best game I've ever played in my life.

I finished Nier: Automata a couple days ago and I'm glad I did, but post-Zelda it was hard to find motivation to keep playing. The story is loving cool though, I'd advise anyone with doubts about the gameplay to play it on easy and ignore sidequests and just get through it.

Bought Horizon last night but I'm putting off starting because I still feel spoiled by BotW and I'd like to give it a fair chance to impress me. Gonna keep playing Yakuza 0 until that feeling passes. Nothing could spoil me on enjoying Yakuza.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I made it to (Nier Automata spoiler) escaping the old Factory with the religious bots. A bit more enjoyable but not super hooked-in yet.

I'm guessing I'm close to Ending A. Yeah?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Feenix posted:

So I made it to (Nier Automata spoiler) escaping the old Factory with the religious bots. A bit more enjoyable but not super hooked-in yet.

Nier:A is definitely a slow burn, just keep going and avoid all spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Obsurveyor posted:

Nier:A is definitely a slow burn, just keep going and avoid all spoilers.
More like a slow walk towards a pitch-black abyss but it sure is beautiful. I'm going to finish the last main ending tonight.