Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Clients not understanding poo poo like that gasses me up. We're working on a show with animated titles and they're finishing in 4K, but they decided to do ALL of their titles using the Avid Title Tool, which we told them repeatedly DOES NOT scale up to 4k. Now their titles look like poo poo because they don't want to pay for us to rebuild/rescale them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fox doesn't even finish in 4k yet.

They finish in 2k and hold on to those files somewhere on the lot and only make 1080 available to everyone. So let's say a print vendor wants to use a scene from a trailer in a poster or outdoor art, welp.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Premiere owns. We have to finish in UHD for AT&T for storage since they can't broadcast higher than 1080 yet.

Luckily we make all our graphics in-house and plan for UHD res from the beginning when we hear if AT&T is our client.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

drat avid takes me back. i didn't know it was still a thing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Avid's been the industry standard for like the past 20 years tho?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Wait a minute should i drop premiere and start learning avid... is that what's goin on here!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ruddiger posted:

Avid's been the industry standard for like the past 20 years tho?

i thought everyone used final cut pro and all that poo poo, me and another kid were the only ones we knew using avid years ago (probably close to 20 now that i look back on it). i aint in the industry so...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You should learn all 3 honestly. I mean, if you are serious about being a professional editor.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

kiimo posted:

You should learn all 3 honestly. I mean, if you are serious about being a professional editor.

People still use FCP? I thought it died with X

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

It's super awesome if you're cool that the highest res you can import/export in is 960 x 540.

I am not. I am definitely not.

I mean, I'm not getting involved in a video maker slap fight, but I just did a training video for my team using it. It can work on 4K videos and I briefly thought of exporting it at 4K just to piss everyone off who needed to download it from our team share.

I'm sure it looks like poo poo, but it looked pretty good to me in 1080p.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I'll have 18 years in feature film & television editing rooms come this summer, so I have strong feelings about editing systems. But instead of boring everyone with semantics, :iiaca:

Premiere is mom's Taurus. You can throw your luggage in the trunk and whip down to the cabin whenever you want. Your sister can borrow it to go soccer practice. All you need is a base-class driver's license and off you go. Have fun.

But in scripted film & TV (and unscripted TV to a large extent) we're being asked to take a 16-wheel trailer full of steel to a port in another city. Hook your mom's Taurus up to that trailer and you're in a world of poo poo. You need a semi truck (Avid Media Composer), and you need to know how to use it. Some of the parts are a bit clunky and it's not as intuitive, but it's going to deal with the load and get you where you need to go, on time and on budget.

Final Cut is your little brother's kick scooter.

iMovie is grandma's wheelchair.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

iMovie's more like them kick-rear end hoverboards all the kids have nowadays.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

You should learn Avid because after that you'll be able to figure out Premiere and whatever else in like five minutes, as they're mostly simpler (both in ease of use and capability) versions of the same interface concepts.

What mode of transportations is the editor feature that DaVinci bolted on to Resolve in recent years?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Somebody show me how to import and export in iMovie 9.0.8 in a decent resolution and I'll buy you a custom title or something because every time I add a burn in on some trailer and export it it artifacts and looks like poo poo.

It also looks like poo poo in the timeline so it must be the import process which I've read they changed in the recent version to intentionally force you to upgrade to Final Cut. Because gently caress them in the eyesocket.

But hey if you know how to magically get around this I'm all ears.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bugblatter posted:

You should learn Avid because after that you'll be able to figure out Premiere and whatever else in like five minutes, as they're mostly simpler (both in ease of use and capability) versions of the same interface concepts.

What mode of transportations is the editor feature that DaVinci bolted on to Resolve in recent years?

DaVinci Resolve fans are convinced you will be story editing on the platform very soon, but I don't see it happening. It's amazing for conform/D.I. and colour timing but it's a no go for scripted editing. Cutting in a timeline is only half the battle. If you don't have organizing months of footage down pat in the U.I, and a powerful bulit-in sound / VFX package, it's not going to be used for offline.

Now if Blackmagic decides to buy Avid like they've been rumoured to be doing for years, that may change...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Resolve apparently has the old Final Cut team working on their edit section so old features are being snuck in.

I wouldn't call it as robust as the others but if you are doing basic editing it's pretty bloody good for a free program.

But yeah Premier for show, AVID for pros. It's not an easy program if you've come off from FCP7/Prem (unlearn what you have learned) but it's reliability is bar none and the ability to have multiple editors on the same project is fantastic.

But I am seeing Premiere appear in the local TV stations here. They often have all three running owing to old projects that hang around.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Dillbag posted:

DaVinci Resolve fans are convinced you will be story editing on the platform very soon, but I don't see it happening. It's amazing for conform/D.I. and colour timing but it's a no go for scripted editing. Cutting in a timeline is only half the battle. If you don't have organizing months of footage down pat in the U.I, and a powerful bulit-in sound / VFX package, it's not going to be used for offline.

Now if Blackmagic decides to buy Avid like they've been rumoured to be doing for years, that may change...

Yeah that's my opinion exactly, but I was asking for a car analogy~

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bugblatter posted:

Oh haha now I get it.

Hmm, maybe a dump truck? Does the heavy lifting at the end of a job but not something you'd want to drive down the highway.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kiimo posted:

Somebody show me how to import and export in iMovie 9.0.8 in a decent resolution

The version I use for my very dry and boring process vids is 10.1.5. So it's probably due to using an version of iMovie from 5 years ago. In fact, the last update for your version, 9.0.9, was released in May of 2013.

Good news though, all of the iLife and iWork apps are free now instead of being free only for people with new hardware.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Resolve's edit UI is like the new self-correcting Teslas. It's cool and cutting edge, but you still need to keep your eyes on the road or poo poo like this happens.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I wanna apologize to you all and the general public for not watching the Atomic Blonde trailer earlier, because holy mother loving poo poo gently caress that trailer is something else

easily the best non-Baby Driver trailer I've seen all year. That soundtrack is gonna be massive

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My wife used iMovie to edit her YouTube videos so I think I'm well qualified to speak on the matter that 1080p exports are simple.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

DC Murderverse posted:

I wanna apologize to you all and the general public for not watching the Atomic Blonde trailer earlier, because holy mother loving poo poo gently caress that trailer is something else

easily the best non-Baby Driver trailer I've seen all year. That soundtrack is gonna be massive

So you've only seen two trailers all year and got their quality reversed?

el Gonzo
Apr 14, 2006
Most trailer vendors just switched from FCP 7 to Premiere within the last year. I know there's a few outliers who are on Avid though still.

I worked on Avid for almost a decade and I would say Premiere is like if Avid and Final Cut had a baby. Premiere does have some absolute headscratcher design decisions, but their engineers come by every so often to take feature requests from us, so fingers crossed. I definitely get a sense they want to cater to the pro side of the business more than apple ever did. In fact a lot of premiere features were added because of Fincher's team during "Gone Girl."

Big caveat though, my work flow is a lot different than a feature workflow, so I can't speak to Premiere's parity to Avid in that sense.

Edit: Oh, if your interested in editing, learning all 3 is great and offers you the largest amount of flexibility to drop right in on any gig. The good news is, if you learn to edit on 1, you can pick up the others pretty quickly. Editing is editing.

el Gonzo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 24, 2017

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Premiere is fantastic provided you set up the UI to be 5.5 workspace instead of the default.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pumped for Alien: Covenant, since it's been so slow the past few months. I actually thought the trailers for it were super average, but the Hieronymus Bosch like poster is dope

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 24, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dear Earth,

What the gently caress is the fascination with Fast and Furious

loving 900m

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

kiimo posted:

Dear Earth,

loving 900m

Why would people want to watch a fun (in an admittedly very stupid way) action movie franchise with a diverse cast of characters, well choreographed action sequences that use a lot of practical effects, and often colorful and vibrant settings when they could just watch the latest superhero movies where a bunch of white people turn into cartoons when the action starts and everything is painted over in grey???

:iiam:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kiimo posted:

Dear Earth,

loving 900m

The franchise is a longform Dungeons & Dragons session, with numerous lucky dice rolls.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Ah yes, the age old question of why people like to temporarily escape their day to day lives by enjoying lighthearted entertainment that only pretends to take itself seriously.

This:

Taintrunner posted:

The franchise is a longform Dungeons & Dragons session, with numerous lucky dice rolls.

is how people who are serious about film justify this:

GrandpaPants posted:

Why would people want to watch a fun (in an admittedly very stupid way) action movie franchise with a diverse cast of characters, well choreographed action sequences that use a lot of practical effects, and often colorful and vibrant settings when they could just watch the latest superhero movies where a bunch of white people turn into cartoons when the action starts and everything is painted over in grey???

:iiam:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've never seen any of these movies, I certainly don't take movies seriously I just don't get car movies at all and like every person on planet earth is going to see vin diesel and the rock in a car movie. it's very perplexing.

el Gonzo
Apr 14, 2006
I worked on 8 and it was a really fun process. The franchise knows exactly what it is and what the audience wants from a Fast movie. It's pretty amazing that what was essentially Point Break with cars has turned into something closer to a Superhero heist series.

The D&D comparison is right on, they basically level up after every movie and gain a new skill like hacking, super strength, or karate. Typically, they add someone new to the family too which keeps it fresh. I think the producers were really smart to keep Statham around from 7 as the chemistry between him and the Rock is great in 8.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

kiimo posted:

I've never seen any of these movies, I certainly don't take movies seriously I just don't get car movies at all and like every person on planet earth is going to see vin diesel and the rock in a car movie. it's very perplexing.

Maybe you should see it before casting doubt on why so many people love it? Nah, that's WAY to hard.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I think they're just like 10 quadrant-y. They're hard enough action for teenagers but they're not so violent or sexy you can't take your family. The Rock has his own fanbase. There are some decent female roles and there's a lot of talk about familial responsibility and relationships. The cast is ethnically ambiguous and pretty brown but I don't think the movie reads as, like, "black" to foreign markets or anything (slash maybe Hollywood is wrong and the world just isn't that racist).

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Hollywood is wrong and the world is really racist.

F&F movies aren't really car movies anymore like the first few. After 5 (the best one) they become about people whose superpower is driving sometimes

You should watch F&F5

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

kiimo posted:

After the first couple they're Car Movies as much as a James Bond movie is.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Can I start with that one

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

5-7 are kind of a stand alone trilogy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

kiimo posted:

Can I start with that one

Can and should. It no more requires backstory movies to explain things than Ocean's 11 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Almost every big trailer this month has a famous rock song, they're good but it's an obvious trend.

• Locked thread