Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Over time, I've begun to suspect that 'Small Business' does not mean what I think it does (that is, businesses that are small).

In fact, I'm not even convinced at this point that 'Small Businesses' refers to something that's real at all, I think it might be a term for an entirely fictional creature that exists only in the form of descriptive statements and pledges of support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The larger, hairless cousin of the notorious Alot

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Over time, I've begun to suspect that 'Small Business' does not mean what I think it does (that is, businesses that are small).

In fact, I'm not even convinced at this point that 'Small Businesses' refers to something that's real at all, I think it might be a term for an entirely fictional creature that exists only in the form of descriptive statements and pledges of support.

Small business means a corporate shell entity with less than a hundred disposable employees that can be cast to the winds once they become inconvenient.

It does not refer to that nice semi elderly couple who manage your corner store by themselves, if your area still has one.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The liberal party thinks that everyone working as a sole trader/contractor is doing so because they are a go getting entrepreneur

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/apr/20/dutton-alleges-manus-shooting-rampage-sparked-after-refugees-seen-with-boy

quote:

The immigration minister, Peter Dutton, has alleged a shooting rampage by Papua New Guinea navy personnel at the Manus Island detention centre on Good Friday was sparked after refugees were seen leading a small boy into the centre.

But this version of events has been fiercely disputed by refugees – who have accused the minister of lying – and contradicts police and defence force evidence which say the fight was sparked over a football field dispute. The police said “drunken soldiers … rampaged” through the centre, shooting into the air and indiscriminately assaulting people.

Evidence from police, defence force and refugee witnesses to the shooting on Manus Island say the confrontation escalated from a fight over who was allowed to use the soccer field near to the detention centre and inside the naval base which houses the centre.

None of the authorities on the island, or those held inside the detention centre, have mentioned a boy in the six days since the shooting.

In an interview on Sky News, Dutton said three asylum seekers were seen leading a five-year-old boy towards the detention centre.

“I think there was concern about why the boy was being led, or for what purpose he was being led, away back into the regional processing centre,” the minister said on Thursday.

So... Dutton pretty much just made up some crap inferring that it was pedophile refugees which led to the shooting.

Like he's always been an evil repellent piece of poo poo but my god.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Shunkymonky posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/apr/20/dutton-alleges-manus-shooting-rampage-sparked-after-refugees-seen-with-boy

So... Dutton pretty much just made up some crap inferring that it was pedophile refugees which led to the shooting.

:australia:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shunkymonky posted:

After he created his private taxpayer funded black shirt goon squad answerable only to himself this kind of vile behaviour is really not a surprise.

You just know he would love to use them to remove inconvenient political enemies.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I'd kill Dutton if I thought it would stop future politicians from trying on his particular brand of bullshit.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Thankfully ASIO, we know that would not stop that and so would ultimately be a 'worthless' and 'morally questionable' endeavour.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
ASIO I killed Abbott and replaced him with an onion-eating lizard. Come at me.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Dutton posted:

“I think there was concern about why the boy was being led, or for what purpose he was being led, away back into the regional processing centre,” the minister said on Thursday.

... And that's why they were shooting wildly at the place they thought the boy might be? What an idiot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stoca Zola posted:

... And that's why they were shooting wildly at the place they thought the boy might be? What an idiot.

A dangerous idiot, yes.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Like... Why is a minister knowingly and intentionally misleading the public (or parliament for that matter, mistah speaker) not loving illegal again?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Don Dongington posted:

Like... Why is a minister knowingly and intentionally misleading the public (or parliament for that matter, mistah speaker) not loving illegal again?

Misleading parliament is illegal in theory isn't it?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
is that parliamentary privilege?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i hope dutton gets murdered, no offence

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

starkebn posted:

is that parliamentary privilege?

If you're standing in parliament, you're obliged to tell the truth. Outside of that, it's bullshit as usual.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

BBJoey posted:

i hope dutton gets murdered, no offence

I heard he went into his house with a little boy. Should probably fire at it just in case.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/855019879610458114

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Shunkymonky posted:

So Dutton is arguing that people in his full control, at his camp, with his private security force, are doing things.

Clearly the boy was being lead TO Dutton.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

G-Spot Run posted:

The larger, hairless cousin of the notorious Alot

I'm sure Allie will update the term eventually...
:(

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
It's convention that if you mislead parliament you would resign. Like many conventions though it's pretty much ignored these days. Eg: George Brandis.

Parliamentary privliage is legal immunity for things said or done in the various Houses.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

So, he wasn't misleading parliament, it was the press, but he wasn't doing it in the house so ...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...420-gvowlc.html

starkebn
May 18, 2004

might as well put them in Pine Gap, they're probably already just doing poo poo for the US anyway

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-20/australian-politician-property-ownership-details/8453782?pfmredir=sm&sf71671527=1

ABC made a tool where you can look up how many investment properties a politician has.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Cormann has said that using super to buy a home is "not something we think would help" so expect it to be announced with the budget.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Haha, that's actually real.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Starshark posted:

I'd kill Dutton if I thought it would stop future politicians from trying on his particular brand of bullshit.
If you want to set an example start with Peter Reith. He's the one that brought children into the debate. Which really just reinforces what I have asserted previously: People who invoke the sentiment of protecting children to garner support are usually using it as a political tool (eg Derin Hinch).

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Cartoon posted:

If you want to set an example start with Peter Reith. He's the one that brought children into the debate. Which really just reinforces what I have asserted previously: People who invoke the sentiment of protecting children to garner support are usually using it as a political tool (eg Derin Hinch).

I think referring to Peter Reith as "people" is a bit far fetched.

Lich, sure.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/855215215939510274
https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/855215370449190912
https://twitter.com/JoshButler/status/855215611953127424

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I can imagine the furor that this would cause if he were a Labor minister...

Murdoch would be calling for public execution.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Who let the bloody potato out?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

ewe2 posted:

Who let the bloody potato out?
Someone should chip him over this.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
People complain housing in unaffordable

The Labor Party, hearing these pleas drafts a policy that will make housing more affordable

People complain making housing affordable will make rents go up

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Someone should chip him over this.

Now don't get salty.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The ABC posted:

Despite compulsory voting laws, many Australians claim they are either disaffected by politics or simply uninterested in civics.

In what is being described as "an exercise in realistic utopianism", federal MP Andrew Leigh is calling for a new public holiday to be held during election years.

The Member for Fenner told ABC Radio Canberra that "Deliberation Day" would be an opportunity to bring people together to debate the nation's future.

"Fewer people are members of political parties and fewer people are showing up to the ballot box and casting a valid vote," he said.

Dr Leigh said the concept of Deliberation Day had been borrowed from the theory of US academics Bruce Ackerman and James Fishkin.

"Their idea is that there ought to be a day every election year in which citizens get together in their local schools and town halls to talk about the issues that concern them," he said.

"The day might start with some sort of awareness raising issues, presentations by local experts and then small group and larger group discussions about the issues that matter for the community.

"It builds off the notion of town hall meetings which have seen an upsurge in attendance in the United States recently.

Dr Leigh said a Deliberation Day holiday would also create more opportunities for class mixing.

"We are in an era in which fewer people attend church, fewer people are involved in trade unions and fewer people are involved in community organisations," he said.

"Our society offers fewer chances of class mixing than we have had in the past.

"We need for people of modest means and of affluent means to get together to talk about the challenges our nation faces."
By creating new opportunities for Australians to participate in democracy, Dr Leigh suggested we could better address inequality.

"We can't tackle inequality unless people are rubbing shoulders with those who are different from them.

"We need opportunities for CEOs to chat to welfare recipients."

Dr Leigh said that as an economist he was in favour of maximising wellbeing over maximising money.

"I find that my wellbeing is higher on public holidays rather than lower."

I'm not bolding any of that but how good is a public holiday for the voting long weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wouldn't make it a long weekend, that will just result in less people voting. Also seems hard to organize without fixed elections.

• Locked thread