Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I gotta say I loving despise the way NPC phantoms pump estus in the dlc. What a stupid needless mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

veni veni veni posted:

I gotta say I loving despise the way NPC phantoms pump estus in the dlc. What a stupid needless mechanic.

It's annoying but I slightly prefer it to DS2 npc invaders with insanely more health than any real invader could have

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Your Computer posted:

Does the Frayed Blade weapon art (anime multi-slash attack) count for the Pontiff rings and Carthus Beacon? Might be fun, since it hits a ton of times in a very short window. With a lot of FP (and assuming the rings work), I bet you could get through the game just spamming that :haw:

That's what I've been doing, but a damage-race boss isn't very fun :(

Speaking of successive attacks, I just did Deacons of the Deep with the Old Wolf Curved Sword, both Pontiff rings and Ring of the Evil Eye +3. If you think that fight can't get any stupider, think again!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got summoned as a Blade of the Darkmoon into a world with a host and a red invader... then another Blade of the Darkmoon showed up.... then another...

Is this guy hogging all the blue spirits!? I didn't even know you could have three blues, let alone three from the same covenant and all for a single red phantom :monocle:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Your Computer posted:

I got summoned as a Blade of the Darkmoon into a world with a host and a red invader... then another Blade of the Darkmoon showed up.... then another...

Is this guy hogging all the blue spirits!? I didn't even know you could have three blues, let alone three from the same covenant and all for a single red phantom :monocle:

Can't you theoretically get eight or nine players in one world?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

skasion posted:

It's annoying but I slightly prefer it to DS2 npc invaders with insanely more health than any real invader could have

True. What's her face in Gaels chamber really ticked me off though even though she is essentially a waiting game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

veni veni veni posted:

True. What's her face in Gaels chamber really ticked me off though even though she is essentially a waiting game.

The pyromancer lady earlier on in that dlc can also cancel out of her pyromancy into rolls/attacks in mid-cast which is really cool and not awful

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
There's no ring that deals extra poise damage like the stone ring from DS2, right?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

There's no ring that deals extra poise damage like the stone ring from DS2, right?

Not exactly the same, but the knight slayer's ring does stamina damage against guarding. I've found it's pretty effective against turtles.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Zoey can be made to dodge off the cliff in a classic invasion tactic. I've been able to interrupt a few of the invaders enough that they can't drink.

I think my summon was an extremely dedicated gael cosplay. He really didn't need to cast corona on the demon prince so much. Also I finally used the talk option on the hag, apparently that is the demon that hosed up Lorian.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm still really disappointed they didn't try to get creative with the invaders. Like, after the popular reception NPCs like Jester Thomas and Maldron got you'd think they would have done a bit more to give you some crafty guys. Instead the only cool NPC we get in 3 is not-Tarkus who is hilarious and cool.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

hanales posted:

Not exactly the same, but the knight slayer's ring does stamina damage against guarding. I've found it's pretty effective against turtles.

I haven't had much luck with that against people with Artorias' Shield and other great shields, I run out of stamina before their guard is broken, then I get counterattacked. Maybe it needs a +3 version.

I miss the stone ring from DS2 A LOT. I loved that little pretty thing.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CJacobs posted:

The pyromancer lady earlier on in that dlc can also cancel out of her pyromancy into rolls/attacks in mid-cast which is really cool and not awful

My most satisfying moment was six tries against zoey before she accidentally fell off the cliff landing in the poison swamp. That was probably the most anticlimactic thing that had ever happened to me in Souls...

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 21, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Shira and her Lightning Arrows are bullshit. She can just spam them, and dodging them is pretty hard to do ten times in a row.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Node posted:

I haven't had much luck with that against people with Artorias' Shield and other great shields, I run out of stamina before their guard is broken, then I get counterattacked. Maybe it needs a +3 version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi5pYYBsbZU&t=6s

Wolf Knight Great shield has a bit less lightning resistance. But yeah the strat is just go to town with a elemental or bleed/poison weapon. You're not breaking the guard of a great shield, that is the entire point.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Is there some sort of Aldrich Pro Strategy out there?

Use a fast weapon like a straight sword (preferably on a Bleed build). Don't stand right next to him; stand a bit in front of him, because this will bait his AI into using his extremely slow and easy to punish melee swing. Don't hit him until he's animation locked into one of his melee attacks, because he'll otherwise (90% of the time, anyways) act like the Crystal Sage and teleport away. Whenever he begins teleporting, dash to the center of the room, and then immediately run up to a bit in front of him in whatever corner he appears. If he starts pulling back for Moonlight Arrow, book it to the other end of the room and dodge around as normal until it's over. To be frank, though, the fight feels like the most luck dependent one of the series because of how goddamn bullshit Moonlight Arrow is and how comparatively weak all of his melee attacks are.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

hanales posted:

I don't care about people hiding behind shields. What I need is a way to deal with people with huge ultra sized weapons. Everytime I fight them I get killed because I attack faster but they poise through it and then take off 75% of my health with one combo. I never had this problem on my onyx blade build, presumably because its longer range and bigger size lets me cancel poise more easily.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Shira and her Lightning Arrows are bullshit. She can just spam them, and dodging them is pretty hard to do ten times in a row.

Now imagine this but its a host and his two summons just spamming lightning arrow.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
undead charm

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Zoey can be made to dodge off the cliff in a classic invasion tactic. I've been able to interrupt a few of the invaders enough that they can't drink.

I think my summon was an extremely dedicated gael cosplay. He really didn't need to cast corona on the demon prince so much. Also I finally used the talk option on the hag, apparently that is the demon that hosed up Lorian.

She actually fell off the drat cliff on her own for me but managed not to die and I couldn't find her so I had to come back and wait for her to do her birthday shots before I could kill her. Also I didn't figure out how to get rid of the angels until after I killed her so that whole part was a loving nightmare. It's the most I've ever died between bonfires in like 10 years of these games.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Node posted:

The problem with tsorig's ring is that it only increases stamina damage to shields by 10%. Not only is it a small percentage, it's a percentage in the first place where a flat boost would be a lot more useful.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't care about people hiding behind shields. What I need is a way to deal with people with huge ultra sized weapons. Everytime I fight them I get killed because I attack faster but they poise through it and then take off 75% of my health with one combo. I never had this problem on my onyx blade build, presumably because its longer range and bigger size lets me cancel poise more easily.
Get a crossbow and shoot them from outside of their effective range whenever they do an attack. I mostly use an avelyn with lightning bolts for this. You don't do much damage because crossbows don't scale(???) but you do around 150 each time and you can do it every time they do something punishable, which forces them to try and play aggressive which big slow weapons are bad at.

You can also use fast melee weapons with good range to punish(poking with a rapier, washing pole etc), but it's trickier and doesn't make people angry enough to jump off the edge of the pontiff duel area as much

Alternative option is, like I posted before, poising through their attacks with a talisman and smashing dicks with sunlight spear. This doesn't do more damage than you take against all weapons though so you have to be careful, but it demolishes people mindlessly doing the twin greatswords combo because you can hit them before they get off much of the combo so you don't take much damage, and every part of it lasts so long they can't get out in time once they start.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 21, 2017

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

veni veni veni posted:

She actually fell off the drat cliff on her own for me but managed not to die and I couldn't find her so I had to come back and wait for her to do her birthday shots before I could kill her. Also I didn't figure out how to get rid of the angels until after I killed her so that whole part was a loving nightmare. It's the most I've ever died between bonfires in like 10 years of these games.

If you have the stats for it, Rapport makes Zoey a joke. Just rapport the little fuckers around her and they murk her in no time.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

FauxGateau posted:

The gross Witch Locks because it means some illucid undead strung together dissected demonic hair that sets itself on fire.

Iretep posted:

the current pyro meta weapon is the demon scar. it has the curved sword moveset which automatically makes it really good. main problem is it is pure fire damage but youre a pyro so just spamming dark damage is always an option too.

Both sound really cool - is Pyro actually fun to play? I can only think of dagger/rapier/spear/halberd as alternatives - I'd like to try to get into some Mound Maker/Aldritch/etc. fun this time through too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Hag? Demon? Are you talking about the woman at the start of the dlc? Because I'm blanking otherwise.

On a different note, I finally tried a spell parry shield and am I missing something or are they completely useless? I assumed beforehand you'd sling the spell back in the general direction of the caster, but instead you just punch the spell into orbit where no-one gets hurt by it.

Sad.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I installed the DLCs today, and ever since I did I've had weird freezing sometimes when the game saves – anywhere up to 5 seconds or more. Anyone had this before and know how to fix it?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

double nine posted:

Hag? Demon? Are you talking about the woman at the start of the dlc? Because I'm blanking otherwise.

On a different note, I finally tried a spell parry shield and am I missing something or are they completely useless? I assumed beforehand you'd sling the spell back in the general direction of the caster, but instead you just punch the spell into orbit where no-one gets hurt by it.

Sad.

considering most spells can just be avoided by circle strafing or dodging, yes, spell parrying is compleatly useless.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah that's the poise counter thing. When I'm low poise vs big slow weapon I tend to run around their attacks and backstab if I can't trade.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

hanales posted:

Yeah that's the poise counter thing. When I'm low poise vs big slow weapon I tend to run around their attacks and backstab if I can't trade.

I always pull off the back stab animation and sound, but they've already moved and I whiff it :(

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Iretep posted:

considering most spells can just be avoided by circle strafing or dodging, yes, spell parrying is compleatly useless.

Yeah, but it makes pretty sparkles

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what's the best sl/location for blue cop? I've been sitting in crucialfiction woods for too long without any good summons.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
SL 30? I don't believe location matters. I have the blue cop on, I'm in farron, and I'm summoned all over both DLCs.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 21, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

double nine posted:

what's the best sl/location for blue cop? I've been sitting in crucialfiction woods for too long without any good summons.

Bluecops can be summoned anywhere, so you're best off having as many locations as possible and being at the SL most people playing are at. Right now its whatever level is in the DLC because it's invasion city. So if you're NG, end game stats, 90 or so with a +10 weapon.

I had the most luck at SL120.

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all
Goddamn it annoys me when people invade and then black crystal out when it becomes apparent you're actually going to put up a good fight. Take your beating!

On that same note, my favourite thing in the world right now is invading gank squads in the ringed city inner wall and hiding behind doorways, splattering the lot with a charged UGS R2 as they pile through :allears:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anybody on PS4 willing to trade a Frayed Blade, of any level, for anything I've got? I've got a number of maxed-out weapons, or I can upgrade your weapon with my mats and trade it back if you want something upgraded I don't have.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

Now imagine this but its a host and his two summons just spamming lightning arrow.

post-buffs, hyper armor weapons are undisputed kings. It's stupidly hard to fight them with anything that does not also have hyper armor. FROM is horrid at balance, but we always knew that.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Annath posted:

Anybody on PS4 willing to trade a Frayed Blade, of any level, for anything I've got? I've got a number of maxed-out weapons, or I can upgrade your weapon with my mats and trade it back if you want something upgraded I don't have.

Bruh I got you.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Obligatum VII posted:

post-buffs, hyper armor weapons are undisputed kings. It's stupidly hard to fight them with anything that does not also have hyper armor. FROM is horrid at balance, but we always knew that.

i havent noticed a single hyper armor weapon actually becoming good with recent patches as far as pvp goes.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Iretep posted:

i havent noticed a single hyper armor weapon actually becoming good with recent patches as far as pvp goes.

Vordt's great hammer is good if you know how to manage against fast weapons/outreached weapons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, the quakestone hammer's a lot of fun. I like the paired ugs more but using the weapon art to make invaders (and lothric knights) go squish now is hilarious.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

How is the BKGA these days? I don't care too much about PvP, and and more of the serious PvE Sunbro type. My plan with my current character was to play with some of the str weapons that require 15-18 dex, like the BKGA, Gundyr's Halberd, Splitleaf Greatsword, and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

hanales posted:

Vordt's great hammer is good if you know how to manage against fast weapons/outreached weapons.

Some of the great hammers are alright but they are still pretty bad. They are so slow that you can usually punish them with a backstab or just poke them to death with faster weapons.
Heres the current meme meta weapon list and even they rate them pretty low: