Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Most goon strats go like this:

Loot some stuff, get a car. Flip said car, die without ever shooting your gun.

my squad earlier today

"sweet a motorcycle, let's take it"

*flips, everyone dies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I'm really not liking the new weapon spawning weights. Even in the dense towns basically nothing spawns, not even loving pistols and you have to get insanely lucky to even get an SMG. Then someone luckier than you comes along with an assault rifle and there's nothing you can do.

Even in the military loot areas you can get hosed. One game I parachuted onto the roof of the 3 story building in the crater. The only thing in the entire building was a 1911. That's it. There were a million attachments but gently caress all else.

ARs could stand to be more common. I played 4 games last night where I only found 1 M16.

But I made it to #3 with only an UMP and a o/u, which I've never done before, so maybe it's not too bad.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'd be happy if I even found an UMP in high % military spawn areas :smith:

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
If anything there should be more bolt actions in the game. This is fake Russia so the most common weapon should be a rusted Mosin-Nagant.

Plus open-field combat with Uzis and UMPs probably isn't realistic.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Ostentatious posted:

what ive learned of goons is they are the kings of spreadsheets and strats but have gently caress all aim or map awareness

This.

Goons Excel at spreadsheets. :smuggo:

nuclear_cheetos
Apr 22, 2005

mmmmmmmm......cheesy!

NickBlasta posted:

ARs could stand to be more common. I played 4 games last night where I only found 1 M16.

But I made it to #3 with only an UMP and a o/u, which I've never done before, so maybe it's not too bad.

If your circle layout favored fights within 25-50m you had a huge advantage since both of those weapons are pretty monstrous within those ranges. Of course if the last two circles were fields with no cover than good on you for making the best of a bad situation.

As an aside, I find that since last night I've found a noticeably higher amount of weapon mods, but a lower amount of weapons. RNG being the way it is it seems odd that places the police station and the school seem to now have 2~3 weapons but a 5~7 mods.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I'm curious with the new patch how my old general strat would work out:

I've had a lot of luck in a good number of games in using the half-sunken city as my primary loot location. I think due to its proximity to both the ruins, Rozhok, and the school - everybody tends to rush towards those instead, but I've generally had good luck there in being able to get 2/2/2 gear, and almost always an AR with nearly full mods and more ammo than I will ever need.

I see a lot of these comparison shots of what the foliage looks like from a player's view - but does anyone have comparison shots of what it looks like when you're looking at someone 200m away prone in what *they* see as grass? The problem has (mostly) never been the 'I see grass next to me!', it's been the fact that outside draw distance, someone will obscure their own view in the grass but be laying on a raw ground texture to anybody at any distance.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

nuclear_cheetos posted:

As an aside, I find that since last night I've found a noticeably higher amount of weapon mods, but a lower amount of weapons. RNG being the way it is it seems odd that places the police station and the school seem to now have 2~3 weapons but a 5~7 mods.

Lots more mods. I found more rifle suppressors than I've ever found before (but no rifles)

I'm kind of thinking it's the increased specific nature of the mods (alternate magazines for different SMGs for example) that prompted the bump, but not sure.

Cuntpunch posted:

I'm curious with the new patch how my old general strat would work out:

I've had a lot of luck in a good number of games in using the half-sunken city as my primary loot location. I think due to its proximity to both the ruins, Rozhok, and the school - everybody tends to rush towards those instead, but I've generally had good luck there in being able to get 2/2/2 gear, and almost always an AR with nearly full mods and more ammo than I will ever need.

I see a lot of these comparison shots of what the foliage looks like from a player's view - but does anyone have comparison shots of what it looks like when you're looking at someone 200m away prone in what *they* see as grass? The problem has (mostly) never been the 'I see grass next to me!', it's been the fact that outside draw distance, someone will obscure their own view in the grass but be laying on a raw ground texture to anybody at any distance.

I like the sunken town a lot. It's very dense, the loot is decent, and almost nobody bothers going there. If the circle descends in that direction it's a very common center of the circle, either that or the castle next door. Puts you in a good spot.

If you're 200 meters away you don't see any foliage. It disappears around 50 yards?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

NickBlasta posted:

I like the sunken town a lot. It's very dense, the loot is decent, and almost nobody bothers going there. If the circle descends in that direction it's a very common center of the circle, either that or the castle next door. Puts you in a good spot.

Which area is the one you're referring to? The one in the middle of the map where the school is?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

It's the shotgun meta boyos, get yourself a 686 with a choke and kill all the weakass motherfuckers

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zipperelli. posted:

Which area is the one you're referring to? The one in the middle of the map where the school is?

West of Rhozok, maybe a little south. Commonly referred to as Sunken City or Watertown.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

id like to see a compressed map of maybe 1/4 the size

then instead of circles of varying speed it just has a very slow steady close towards the center

thats my dream

e: did I mention this patch owns

if they didn't update anything else from here on out i'd probably be happy lol

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

VulgarandStupid posted:

West of Rhozok, maybe a little south. Commonly referred to as Sunken City or Watertown.

It's Venice goddamnit

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

funny Star Wars parody posted:

It's the shotgun meta boyos, get yourself a 686 with a choke and kill all the weakass motherfuckers

Got stuck again at #2 last night . However I spent 80% of the match in one of those little two story houses. The one where the second floor has a perfect view of the front door from the stairs and a small round window up top.

6 loving shotgun kills from idiots walking through that door. First 2 I waited till they were clear of the door so the loot boxes were inside. The rest were all outside the door and they kept coming.

I love that shotguns are pure gently caress you up to 50 meters

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

VikingSkull posted:

my squad earlier today

"sweet a motorcycle, let's take it"

*flips, everyone dies*

Just search "motorcycle squad" on the subreddit and enjoy a good amount of quality videos.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?
My two standard opens now, depending on where the plane flies, are:

Drop into Ruins, land in the ruined building on the hill in the NE with the corner shaped wall. There's usually a pistol/shotty/SMG here, or in the U shaped ruin with crates just below it. The hill building gives a good view of the church and the wooden crate spawns below to see if anyone else dropped in. Kill those fuckers, clean up the crate areas for gear. Depending on what I've found, I either move to the dual 2 story houses directly SW of Ruins, the group of houses directly S, or if I've found a rifle of some sort with any scope I'll head straight to my sniper foxhole on top of the hill in the field between Ruins and Water Town. There's a little divet in the north side of the hill which has cover from anyone looking up at it, but allows you to camera look around for people crossing the field. I'll take out a couple of those treasure goblins, shoot some tyres out on passing cars, and build up from there.

Alternatively if the plane isn't close to Ruins, I'll drop into the radar tower on the east end of the Military Base island. The radio tower still counts as military style loot, but without the hassle of fighting a billion people at the base. It's also super obvious if you're alone or not when you land at the radar platform. Hoover up that place, run to the west edge of the cliff and see if anyone's looting the garage/bombed out building below from a distance. If it looks good, drop down the cliff face on the NW side without taking too much fall damage, clear out those buildings and head NE to the group of buildings at the garage south of the bridge. There'll almost always be a car or a buggy around this area, so if you need to haul rear end to the circle it's no problem. The two story building on the NW corner of the T section is a great place to set up and shoot people as they try to leave the island. Once I've collected enough gear, I'll use a car to fang it straight towards where ever the circle is and set up.

I prefer the Ruins method if I can manage it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like the swamp plus radio tower. Not usually enough to equip a whole squad though.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

In case anyone wanted to know why motorcycles kill you so easily, it is because you get ejected once they invert... they are fast as hell and hold up to 3, but provide almost no cover to fire and should probably be left on roads.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
So apparently there is a crossbow in this game.

El_Funko
May 25, 2003

Where did she go?

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I like the swamp plus radio tower. Not usually enough to equip a whole squad though.

Oh yeah, I should've mentioned that I only play solo so it's easier to get kitted out by a couple lucky spawns.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

ViggyNash posted:

So apparently there is a crossbow in this game.

Yes, it was in beta and then taken out during launch EA for some reason. Apparently it is stronger than all the sniper rifles except the AWM. But you know, arrow drop and stuff.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I found another in the game right after, AND a bolt drop. Both in the same area.

I also made it to #2 that round and I'm SO SALTY.

I'm happy that I at least got a few solid kills in though. Best I could do with my relatively poo poo monitor and god awful load times.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 21, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've been banned twice now by my group from driving but I'm still the best driver among us.

We discovered that melon sized rocks can and will flip the motorcycle. All three of us died after an amazing start with no loot competition.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been banned twice now by my group from driving but I'm still the best driver among us.

We discovered that melon sized rocks can and will flip the motorcycle. All three of us died after an amazing start with no loot competition.

Yeah, the motorcycle really doesn't like jumps or bumps at all:
https://streamable.com/z4xp4

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Lesson learned last night. When it's down to you and two other players and the other two are shooting at each other don't kill the one you can see. Wait to see if he kills the other guy then blow him away.

I feel so stupid shooting that guy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I found a motorcycle and its super fun to drive. It wont flip if you're not poo poo, though I did go sideways once.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I definitely try not to let any of my teammates drive. There's a lot of skill to reading the terrain, but sometimes a lot of the flips are just bad luck as well. It's still a game of probability, no matter how you look at driving though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Driving isn't hard, but in a few places there are just weird dips or divots in the terrain that will murder you dead, and there's no real system or logic to them, they're just scattered around.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I love it when the game silently disconnects you with no notice except you can't open doors and the timer is no longer ticking down.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That happens to you? I've never had a connection issue.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

I just updated the OP with what I believe to be a post-patch damage chart. I went ahead and did some ghetto color filling for hits to kill. What sucks, though, is arm/leg hits take so many hits to kill, and I doubt there is penetration, so arms and legs can block shots to the body.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Solution: click on their heads

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

VulgarandStupid posted:

I just updated the OP with what I believe to be a post-patch damage chart. I went ahead and did some ghetto color filling for hits to kill. What sucks, though, is arm/leg hits take so many hits to kill, and I doubt there is penetration, so arms and legs can block shots to the body.

awesome. thanks!
small thing, two of the 100+ damage fields are miscoloured i think? (revolver and m249 vs level 0 helm)

also not an error but what the heck is with the number circles being solid white in like 9 and 6, thats super weird and i dont even k now how to do that

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

busb posted:

awesome. thanks!
small thing, two of the 100+ damage fields are miscoloured i think? (revolver and m249 vs level 0 helm)

also not an error but what the heck is with the number circles being solid white in like 9 and 6, thats super weird and i dont even k now how to do that

I don't have editing access to the spread sheets, so I took a screen shot of the spreadsheet and am filling the fields with Paint.net. It's horribly ghetto. Also paint.net does a weird thing where if I fill a field, it highlights it, then if I change my color on the pallete, it changes the color of the already highlighted field, hence the errors.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I watched the H1z1 tournament on the cw and uhhhhh :yikes:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Right okay i getcha. Not that it matters, but maybe It'd be easier+quicker just to copy+paste the numbers into a fresh google spreadsheet to do the colours en masse then?

for content this patch has been really good except for two things:

1) listing every gun that can use an attachment is really cluttered
2) although general FPS seems smoother, i'm getting horrible fps freeze spikes, especially in red zones. prepatch i'd only get serverside lag but this is much worse. i dont have the best computer specs though so this might not be common
still 2) i don't like the permanent gold sheen on guns/ammo on the ground, makes it harder to see what it is, as i'd gotten used to recognising stuff i want.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

busb posted:

Right okay i getcha. Not that it matters, but maybe It'd be easier+quicker just to copy+paste the numbers into a fresh google spreadsheet to do the colours en masse then?

for content this patch has been really good except for two things:

1) listing every gun that can use an attachment is really cluttered
2) although general FPS seems smoother, i'm getting horrible fps freeze spikes, especially in red zones. prepatch i'd only get serverside lag but this is much worse. i dont have the best computer specs though so this might not be common
still 2) i don't like the permanent gold sheen on guns/ammo on the ground, makes it harder to see what it is, as i'd gotten used to recognising stuff i want.

Yes, probably, but I don't have Excel or Photoshop on this computer which is why I'm stuck doing horrible things. Also I somehow feel like using Paint instead of Excel is less horrible. Here's the spreadsheet if you want to do it.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1PDqd9nBVKhqc4skamr2qG6J4sfWFtg8gDQMCYUkSNDw/htmlview?pageId=102379580471328995603&sle=true#gid=0

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Foliage is making sniping a lot harder from a prone position if you're not on rocks.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

As much as the revolver pistol feels like the worst gun, I got a 1-headshot kill with it at the start of a game and felt like a god.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Finally got to try the new patch. The performance increases are good, but it seems like the extra foliage on lower settings mostly balances it out to where it was prepatch for me, on my laptop at least. It's much, much better in towns now though.

Crouch-running owns, the game feels much more responsive when it comes to weapon-switching, opening doors and looting, and I'm not sure how I feel about the relative lack of AR's early on. I think it logically makes sense to make them a bit more scarce so that people will actually use other guns, but it does feel weird not being effectively guaranteed one before the midgame.

• Locked thread