Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think it might be easier and better to modify the recipe so you are just putting pineapple slices on the outside of the roast and then wrapping the whole thing in bacon. :shrug:

That sounds highly controversial and not at all as cool as a bacon wrapped pineapple that you open to find whisky marinated pork.

Worst case I'll stick with an open bottom and make it a pineapple cylinder with a lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Catberry posted:

That sounds highly controversial and not at all as cool as a bacon wrapped pineapple that you open to find whisky marinated pork.

Worst case I'll stick with an open bottom and make it a pineapple cylinder with a lid.

You could do exactly what you want you just need a less lovely pineapple.

Radish's idea of just layering your pork with slices and then wrapped in weaved bacon would work fine, though. Shape and precook your bacon a little bit otherwise it is likely to say soggy due to all the other moisture.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Drifter posted:

You could do exactly what you want you just need a less lovely pineapple.

It was the best they had :(

I'll see what I can do but I appreciate the advice.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Seal the bottom by some other means. Once you've gotten the pineapple peeled, cut off the bottom 1/2 inch. Now core out the rest of it as needed, then use toothpicks to fasten the base back on. Now it should be sealed reasonably well. You might also wrap the bottoms tightly with foil to enhance sealing, or possibly latticing your bacon.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Catberry posted:

But what I need is a pineapple "cup" made out of only pineapple meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPx0TffCsVI

e: not really sure how to work around your tiny pineapples, though. I've never seen them that small.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 17, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

e: not really sure how to work around your tiny pineapples, though. I've never seen them that small.

I don't think Alton Brown would approve. :colbert:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I see the tiny ones often. I think they're usually the ones that end up on sale for like $1 during pineapple season.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Picked up a big jackfruit from the Farmer's Market. Anyone know a good recipes I can use this thing in?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I hear they're good for veggie tacos- they often get substituted for pulled pork. The fruit bits surrounding the seeds also make great scoops for any number of things- I like to use them to eat fruit yogurt. Also unless you live in the tropics be aware that the presence of jackfruit at your "farmer's market" probably means there are no farmers there.

http://www.moreveganblog.com/2014/06/28/bbq-pulled-jackfruit/

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The Tampa bay times did an article series on food fraud (including an article on mislabeling/false advertising in restaurants). Here's their article on farmer's markets: http://www.tampabay.com/projects/2016/food/farm-to-fable/farmers-markets/

I'm wary of them now. I figure it might be worse in Florida and large cities with a smaller agricultural footprint, but hopefully it's less prevalent in my medium-sized college town.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Lawnie posted:

Seal the bottom by some other means. Once you've gotten the pineapple peeled, cut off the bottom 1/2 inch. Now core out the rest of it as needed, then use toothpicks to fasten the base back on. Now it should be sealed reasonably well. You might also wrap the bottoms tightly with foil to enhance sealing, or possibly latticing your bacon.

This is good advice

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It's not about the size of the pineapple. It's how you prepare it.

CrazySalamander posted:

I hear they're good for veggie tacos- they often get substituted for pulled pork. The fruit bits surrounding the seeds also make great scoops for any number of things- I like to use them to eat fruit yogurt. Also unless you live in the tropics be aware that the presence of jackfruit at your "farmer's market" probably means there are no farmers there.

http://www.moreveganblog.com/2014/06/28/bbq-pulled-jackfruit/

That was an amazing read. That Parke guy is a real weasel :mad:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

I don't think Alton Brown would approve. :colbert:

If you add a heating element, it becomes a shawarma spit :colbert:

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Thread, I require your impeccable guidance yet again.

I'm making some buffalo wings this coming week. I tried to get Franks but couldn't find any. :australia:. I got some Sweet Baby Rays Wing Glaze. The back of the bottle suggests that you can tip it straight onto the wings. My understanding is that when starting with Franks you're supposed to go half and half butter and sauce. Is that true with the Sweet Baby Rays or should I just do what it says and use it undiluted? Again this is the "Sauce and Wing Glaze" variety instead of just the straight up sauce. It is very runny, but not adding butter to things I cook makes me sad.

TIA

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Odds are you use it straight, but to make sure looking at the ingredients would tell you if it was a) hot sauce or b) half hot sauce, half vegetable oil. Odd that it calls itself a glaze, though.

EDIT: If it's this stuff the third ingredient is margarine, so it's pre-buttered.

I *think* margarine and franks may be ~more authentic~ than butter and franks anyway.

moller fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 17, 2017

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

moller posted:

Odds are you use it straight, but to make sure looking at the ingredients would tell you if it was a) hot sauce or b) half hot sauce, half vegetable oil. Odd that it calls itself a glaze, though.

EDIT: If it's this stuff the third ingredient is margarine, so it's pre-buttered.

I *think* margarine and franks may be ~more authentic~ than butter and franks anyway.

Yup that's the stuff. Cheers!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sextro posted:

Yeah just little things mostly related to adding fat or liquid. Like, I've some brisket where the flat is almost as fatty as supermarket "point" and if I followed typical recipes for handling flat, specifically a Passover Braise, the balance of added liquid/fats in the braising liquid needed pretty severe adjustment.

I do find myself using less spice in general despite loving it, but that's mostly the novelty of having chicken/pork with noticable (and enjoyable) flavor of their own.
There's a lot of scope for variation in things like fat content or how much fat is trimmed off of a particular cut of meat from one butcher to another, or from one farmer to another, or from one breed or variety of animal to another. So a recipe that calls for a cup of additional liquid because it was developed using relatively dry ingredients of course needs adjustment when you find some wetter ingredients that otherwise have the same names.

It might be a myth, but I heard long ago that chickens are a clear example of this kind of thing overlaid on the industry- and society-wide changes in the food supply over the last 50-60 years. Basically, the story I heard was that a) chickens in the 1940's were about half the size of chickens today at the time they are slaughtered, so grandma's recipe leads to undercooked chicken and odd ratios of ingredients because it takes more than 20 minutes or whatever to roast one of today's monster birds; b) relentless pressure by producers to increase productivity in the form of more and bigger birds in a given amount of time led to intense artificial selection (termed "breeding") for those traits. Pleiotropy is the term for a gene that influences two or more apparently unrelated phenotypic traits, like most blue-eyed cats being deaf. In chickens, genes that ramp up growth rates have some pleiotropic effects on the flavour of the meat.

I read this story in some book years and years ago that was talking about why everything (snake, alligator, California Condor, Bald Eagle, whatever) tastes like chicken. Modern chickens have no flavour of their own, so anything with a meaty texture but no inherent strong flavour (or a flavour removed by overcooking - be extra cautious with your bush meat!) gets described that way.

Again, I don't know how true those ideas are, but you're far from the first person to prefer the taste of non-industrial food.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

Again, I don't know how true those ideas are, but you're far from the first person to prefer the taste of non-industrial food.

A lot of my grandmother's recipes call for a stewing hen. I assume that hens past their laying prime are turned into pet food these days, because good luck finding anything but Cornish cross broiler-fryer unless you have a butcher or farmer's market handy. I usually end up using a package of whole cut-up broiler-fryer for stock, but it turns out the Oriental Mart sells actual stewing hens, and the difference is definitely noticeable.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I know sweet dick about cooking: this recipe calls for a marinade of 1 pound of chicken thighs in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, along with spices. This does not seem to be near enough liquid?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

RentACop posted:

I know sweet dick about cooking: this recipe calls for a marinade of 1 pound of chicken thighs in 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, along with spices. This does not seem to be near enough liquid?

Is the meat covered in liquid? Not like in standing water, but is there liquid on all the surfaces? If so, you're good to go. The marinade won't actually penetrate the meat so you really only need to get it on there as seasoning. If it's not all covered, just make a bit more in the same ratio. Note that both soy sauce and sesame oil are fairly strong in flavor, and a little usually goes a long way.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

RentACop posted:

What kind of cooking method? Unless it's a braise or something, that doesn't sound too unusual. Could you post the recipe?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RentACop posted:

You're creating an aromatic marinade. Purely surface fixings. It's fine. Marinades don't actually soak through most meats or anything (fish is the big exception (and some vegetables)). Salt alone absorbs through at a rate of around an inch per 10-12 hours, I believe.

Most marinades you just need to leave on long enough to fully cover the thing, and normalize the temp. Sauces and spice rubs generally work better unless you're longer term cooking the meat in the marinade (doesn't really matter though). :shrug:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 17, 2017

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Lawnie posted:

Is the meat covered in liquid? Not like in standing water, but is there liquid on all the surfaces? If so, you're good to go. The marinade won't actually penetrate the meat so you really only need to get it on there as seasoning. If it's not all covered, just make a bit more in the same ratio. Note that both soy sauce and sesame oil are fairly strong in flavor, and a little usually goes a long way.

Yeah it covered it all quite nicely, thanks! That's good to know then, when I hear "marinate" I think strips of jerky swimming in liquid so I started to second guess everything

hogmartin posted:

What kind of cooking method? Unless it's a braise or something, that doesn't sound too unusual. Could you post the recipe?

http://www.eatdangerously.com/article/saifun-stir-fry-recipe

It was pretty decent, if I did it again I would use less ginger and more mushrooms. Also the saifun was interesting but I think I prefer regular noodles. After all my whinging I hosed up the proportions on the marinade anyway and didn't chop things well enough, along with a bunch of other things but overall pleased

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 18, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

What's the deal with sprouted flour? Does it act the same as normal flour from a baking perspective? Is there a noticeable taste change?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I made a big batch of chicken salad but the lemon I added overpowers the dish. What's the best way for me to cut through that and balance out the rest of this?

Sweetness to counter the sour, or something to counter the acid?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Teeter posted:

I made a big batch of chicken salad but the lemon I added overpowers the dish. What's the best way for me to cut through that and balance out the rest of this?

Sweetness to counter the sour, or something to counter the acid?

Counter the acid. Add baking soda in 1/4 teaspoon bits. Stir and taste before trying to add another 1/4 teaspoon. You really won't need much at all.

You could also add some sugar or honey to try and overpower, but it can get sweeter than you want.

You could also just add more chicken.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 18, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Drifter posted:

Counter the acid. Add baking soda in 1/4 teaspoon bits. Stir and taste before trying to add another 1/4 teaspoon. You really won't need much at all.

You could also add some sugar or honey to try and overpower, but it can get sweeter than you want.

You could also just add more chicken.

You could also add salt.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

What are some thai style (country) pork rib ideas?
I'm thinking pressure cooker with ginger, fish sauce, garlic, chilies, lime juice, and lemongrass then tossed into some sort of stir fried sauce/veggie combo.

Ideas/inspirations?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I want to try a gros michel. Any idea where I'd start looking for one of those? I live on the Connecticut shoreline, if you're familiar with the rare banana situation in that region for some reason.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I feel like everyone has read that article and is looking for a gros michel. Just start googling "gros michel nyc" because you'll probably have to meet it partway.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ulmont posted:

You could also add salt.

That sounds...dangerous.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I am not above taking a day trip to NYC to get a banana. I mean, there's other stuff to do there, too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Volcott posted:

I want to try a gros michel. Any idea where I'd start looking for one of those? I live on the Connecticut shoreline, if you're familiar with the rare banana situation in that region for some reason.

It's a rare banana situation across the North and South America because the blight will kill them ridiculously easily.

As far as I know you have to go to Hawaii, Thailand, Malaysia or Congo to get them

If you travel to eat them, prepare to be mildly disappointed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-yhe9GfoY

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

It's a rare banana situation across the North and South America because the blight will kill them ridiculously easily.

As far as I know you have to go to Hawaii, Thailand, Malaysia or Congo to get them

If you travel to eat them, prepare to be mildly disappointed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x-yhe9GfoY

I guess they're most of what they eat in Japan, too, but I did not think go get any bananas last time I was there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
They sell those at the Asia market i go to in Reno. Normally they're juuuuust about too ripe, but they're ok. Sort of taste like a more complex candy banana flavour.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, they were talking about this on NPR this week, too.

I've always thought that banana-flavored candy was kind of gross, but apparently that's what the "real" bananas taste like.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, they were talking about this on NPR this week, too.

I've always thought that banana-flavored candy was kind of gross, but apparently that's what the "real" bananas taste like.

I think that's mostly mythology. The fake banana flavor is just a really easy to make chemical mixture that happens to taste and smell vaguely like food. Did it in a chem 101 lab one time.

While I've got you here, I'm gonna make Italian sausage and peppers, but I'm kinda sick of big airy grinder rolls. Would using pita bread ruin everything forever?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't cook tender lamb no matter how hard I try. Second lamb curry I've attempted, it's been simmering for 40 minutes, no dice. Lamb is still incredibly tough, and if I were to dish it up, I'd be chewing on big lumps of fat and meat.

What am I doing wrong? My mum makes lamb curry all the time, and she doesn't marinate the lamb beforehand. She just throws it in, cooks it, and it turns out really soft and tender.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
If you're terrible with meats buy a sous vide machine. It'll take the guesswork out.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CrazySalamander posted:

If you're terrible with meats buy a sous vide machine. It'll take the guesswork out.

I'm not terrible with meats, I just can't seem to cook beef or lamb in a curry without it turning out tough. I'm also not about to drop a load of cash on a kitchen gadget that I don't need. Kitchen is clunked up enough with a tonne of gadgets I bought but rarely use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Loopoo posted:

I can't cook tender lamb no matter how hard I try. Second lamb curry I've attempted, it's been simmering for 40 minutes, no dice. Lamb is still incredibly tough, and if I were to dish it up, I'd be chewing on big lumps of fat and meat.

What am I doing wrong? My mum makes lamb curry all the time, and she doesn't marinate the lamb beforehand. She just throws it in, cooks it, and it turns out really soft and tender.

What cut of lamb are you using? I made a lamb stew a week or so ago with lamb shoulder chops and it turned out very well. Not a curry expert, but I'd imagine it follows the same rules as a stew — you need a poor cut of meat, cooked on low for at least a few hours for the connective tissue that makes it a poor cut to break down. I don't think 40 minutes is enough time.

Another tip I'd offer — I tend to anxiously stir my stews too often and usually end up with shredded meat. I left my most recent one alone until it was done and ended up with wonderfully tender chunks of meat.