Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

BONGHITZ posted:

I have no dlcs.

Does anybody know what this means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Node posted:

Does anybody know what this means?

He has not bought any of the DLCs (e.g., Art of War, Mandate of Heaven, etc.) for this game.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

He has not bought any of the DLCs (e.g., Art of War, Mandate of Heaven, etc.) for this game.

Somebody's missing the Common Sense DLC.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Incomprehensible.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

I don't think it's Monday bud

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The answer to his problem is actually to buy Common Sense, because Paradox, through the patches and mechanics changes, made playing outside of Europe a miserable experience without the ability to increase development. As Kilwa, you want to conquer Mutapa, develop the gold mines, and generate institutions through development. If you're a vanilla player, then I guess you're just hosed.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 21, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Arrhythmia posted:

??? :shrug:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Do New World gold mines not deplete or something? I don't get the "your gold mine will have an X chance of depleting, halving production" message when I upgrade Mexico.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

i was kind of hoping to do the joke where someone says something ridiculous, and then someone else goes "huh? what do you mean?" and then a third person says the ridiculous thing again, but louder or with better enunciation.

i guess it didn't work out this time.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Luigi Thirty posted:

Do New World gold mines not deplete or something? I don't get the "your gold mine will have an X chance of depleting, halving production" message when I upgrade Mexico.

Is it your province or a subject's? I definitely had that message when I did a First Come First Serve run starting in Mexico. Maybe the message doesn't appear if you're developing a subject's province? Alternatively, if you're playing a native American nation then they don't value gold until after reforming, so that could have something to do with it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mountaineer posted:

Is it your province or a subject's? I definitely had that message when I did a First Come First Serve run starting in Mexico. Maybe the message doesn't appear if you're developing a subject's province? Alternatively, if you're playing a native American nation then they don't value gold until after reforming, so that could have something to do with it.

It's my province. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm pre-reformed Nahuatl. Aztec starts with a 7 production gold province.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's my province. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm pre-reformed Nahuatl. Aztec starts with a 7 production gold province.

Unreformed religions don't get the bonus income from gold provinces.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Well shows how often I play the New World

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Node posted:

Unreformed religions don't get the bonus income from gold provinces.

Do they still have the % chance to collapse?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Dirk the Average posted:

Do they still have the % chance to collapse?

I don't know. I doubt it, since he didn't get the message.

Can anyone please tell me how you view how many provinces you have, outside of the load menu? I forgot how.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Node posted:

Can anyone please tell me how you view how many provinces you have, outside of the load menu? I forgot how.

Ledger -> Armies -> hover over your force limit

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

dang, well I guess ill just have to wait for a sale or something.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Node posted:

IIRC hovering over development on the economic tab.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

"Show Strength" from the Humiliate Rival CB does not count towards the Humiliate Rival age goal. :(

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
So, uh, has anyone ever had an AI Byzantines actually win against the ottomans? I've been playing a custom in the random new world, and just after I saved to go to bed I went observer and had a gander at europe and the byzantines have eaten the ottomans. Looking at their alliances tab they've got hungary and a huge muscovy as allies, which I guess might've been how it went down.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Consulate of the Pyrenees :downsrim:

Bonus unaesthetic Switzersnake down through Florence into Umbria. I wonder how dumb it will look when I integrate Aragon with that wasteland in the way?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So what's the current Wallachia strategy? Ally Hungary and hope for the best?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You could probably do something similar to the 1.19 Byzantium strategy, unless they broke that in 1.20, which I doubt. Basically reroll games until Albania and Hungary ally, then after the Ottomans declare on Albania (which they should do in the first few years, if not then reroll), ally them and they should call you in. Then you + Albania + Hungary can beat up on the Ottomans.

You'd probably have to be very aggressive to get enough land to separate peace your way out though- as Byzantium you can rely on Albania returning cores to you in the peace treaty, but you don't have any for that as Wallachia. Still it's probably doable.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Kind of a longshot, but does anyone know what version I should roll back to in order to play kilwa without hurting myself? I have no dlcs.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
1.17 is the patch before institutions got added.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

BONGHITZ posted:

Kind of a longshot, but does anyone know what version I should roll back to in order to play kilwa without hurting myself? I have no dlcs.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Koramei posted:

1.17 is the patch before institutions got added.

With 1.17, westernization will be a much easier path to tech parity than trying to get institutions while being unable to develop. You'll still be unable to develop the numerous gold mines, but the land may be wealthy enough as is and you probably shouldn't have a problem with money as long as you stay under force limits.

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

Azuren posted:

Consulate of the Pyrenees :downsrim:

Bonus unaesthetic Switzersnake down through Florence into Umbria. I wonder how dumb it will look when I integrate Aragon with that wasteland in the way?

"Swiss Iberia" :( Called it good there. 153 provinces, Germanic cultural union, no ports ever. Last war was trying to feed Spanish Gascony to French France, who decided they didn't want it after all. France ended up an OPM in Picardy and ended up with its capital in Panama. I was trying to help them out since I felt bad for stealing, uh, France from them :v: We ended up allies again after a couple hundred AE.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

With 1.17, westernization will be a much easier path to tech parity than trying to get institutions while being unable to develop. You'll still be unable to develop the numerous gold mines, but the land may be wealthy enough as is and you probably shouldn't have a problem with money as long as you stay under force limits.

Nah, institutions are still easier even if you can't develop your provinces. Remember that westernizing meant spending thousands of monarch points and 10+ years dealing with lovely events and rebels. There are lots of other ways to get institutions without developing. Kilwa doesn't start with Feudalism, but it's present in the Horn of Africa, so it spreads pretty quickly. For Colonialsim, you can try getting it to spawn in your country by sailing around the Cape and discovering South America, and if that doesn't work you can set up a colonial nation there. Global Trade, Manufactories, and Enlightenment all come from buildings, so those are easy. Renaissance and Printing Press would be the only tough ones. They do spread fairly quickly to East Africa through Venice to Crete to Alexandria, and you can expedite that process by conquering provinces along that direction.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Has anyone from Paradox mentioned anything about balancing Absolutism? It's an OK concept but due to the cap being based on your government type it's basically a huge "gently caress republics". Their penalties to maximum Absolutism makes republics absolutely poo poo as soon as the Age of Absolutism starts.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah, institutions are still easier even if you can't develop your provinces. Remember that westernizing meant spending thousands of monarch points and 10+ years dealing with lovely events and rebels. There are lots of other ways to get institutions without developing. Kilwa doesn't start with Feudalism, but it's present in the Horn of Africa, so it spreads pretty quickly. For Colonialsim, you can try getting it to spawn in your country by sailing around the Cape and discovering South America, and if that doesn't work you can set up a colonial nation there. Global Trade, Manufactories, and Enlightenment all come from buildings, so those are easy. Renaissance and Printing Press would be the only tough ones. They do spread fairly quickly to East Africa through Venice to Crete to Alexandria, and you can expedite that process by conquering provinces along that direction.

So every time you play as a non-European, you have to play in the exact same way, take exploration, conquer the same provinces, and hope for good RNG on institution spawns. I dunno man, those are a lot of hoops to jump through just for tech parity, and doesn't sound very fun. The old westernization system was flawed but at least it didn't pigeonhole you so thoroughly or rely much on RNG. I think institutions with Common Sense enabled just make more sense and are a much simpler and more open ended way to interact with the system, but without common sense it's just frustrating.

RabidWeasel posted:

Has anyone from Paradox mentioned anything about balancing Absolutism? It's an OK concept but due to the cap being based on your government type it's basically a huge "gently caress republics". Their penalties to maximum Absolutism makes republics absolutely poo poo as soon as the Age of Absolutism starts.

Someone at Paradox has a real grudge against republics. They've been getting worse and worse with every new feature added to the game. Every single penalty affects republics disproportionately strongly. Like, republican tradition is harder to get than legitimacy, yet there are quite a few penalties that have the same hit to both. I've seen some events that add a republican tradition hit without even having a legitimacy hit for monarchies. Then there's stuff like the nobles estate being disabled for republics, and this new low absolution cap. Being able to pick and grow your ruler isn't even especially good anymore now that disinheriting and abdicating are things. They really need to think about how to make republics more tantalizing because right now they just kinda suck.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 21, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Reeman made a pretty compelling argument for Republics being on-average better than monarchies, but that was in 1.19.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Having permanent 6/6/4ish (depending on events) ruler is pretty good.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Reeman made a pretty compelling argument for Republics being on-average better than monarchies, but that was in 1.19.

I think the quality of a monarchy is essentially as high as your ability to farm prestige in your current position. Prestige's primary purpose is now for heir rerolling, and if you're able to reroll often then I don't think there's any doubt about monarchies being better. And if you're not, republics probably give you better rulers on average but I wonder how that washes out with the inability to milk the nobles for mil power and generals.

The absolution cap settles the debate without question though.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Azuren posted:

"Swiss Iberia" :( Called it good there. 153 provinces, Germanic cultural union, no ports ever. Last war was trying to feed Spanish Gascony to French France, who decided they didn't want it after all. France ended up an OPM in Picardy and ended up with its capital in Panama. I was trying to help them out since I felt bad for stealing, uh, France from them :v: We ended up allies again after a couple hundred AE.

French France will rise again! :france:

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

I think the quality of a monarchy is essentially as high as your ability to farm prestige in your current position. Prestige's primary purpose is now for heir rerolling, and if you're able to reroll often then I don't think there's any doubt about monarchies being better. And if you're not, republics probably give you better rulers on average but I wonder how that washes out with the inability to milk the nobles for mil power and generals.

If you take mil focus and always elect mil rulers as a republic you can maintain max Rep tradition and have near permanent 6/6/6 rulers and still be ahead on mil tech with a deluge of excess mil points to roll the dice on Generals.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

OoohU posted:

If you take mil focus and always elect mil rulers as a republic you can maintain max Rep tradition and have near permanent 6/6/6 rulers and still be ahead on mil tech with a deluge of excess mil points to roll the dice on Generals.

I've never been able to pull this off. The "near-permanent" 6/6/6 rulers are only at those stats for like two out of their seven or so election cycles, if I'm lucky. And I typically end up hovering around 50 republican tradition, unable to go much higher. I don't doubt that on average you still get better stats than your average monarchy, but by how much really?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You can't really guarantee that you're going to have a great ruler even if you're constantly rerolling, though. The PDF is centered on 9 stats, and while you may sometimes roll the nuts and hit a 6/6/5 heir you're also going to sometimes have to settle on an heir who may have a less-than-optimal stat total or stat allocation. The highs are high but the lows can real, real low. With the ability to reroll heirs, Reeman's analysis places the average closer to 12 when the player engages in "aggressive disinheriting" with perfect clairvoyant knowledge of when to stop rerolling (aka to avoid rolling a good-ish heir into a bad heir, or rolling right before a monarch dies). This is sort of like saying "before Rights of Man the average ruler was 3/3/3, the most optimistic result from rerolling dynasties can place the average at 4/4/4"

But Rights of Man also made it so that Republics can buy Republican Tradition on the cheap, so your elected rulers are pretty much limited to their natural life span. It's not hard to wind up with old 6/6/6 rulers in a Republic, the only downside being that your "heir" is going to start off low before building up a big stat pool. Taking that into account, this places the average Republic stat allocation closer to 15, which is still higher than monarchies even with the ability to reroll. You're losing a few dozen mil points per year from having to buy RT, but your overall MP generation throughout a game will be higher in most games, and you don't have to spend Prestige (which has kind of become a nice currency to have around for various things, although rerolling heirs is definitely the most valuable option). The loss of the Nobility estate I feel is balanced by Republics not losing stability on leader death and being able to choose the stat allocation of new rulers

In 1.20, Absolutism does seem like a pretty big gut punch to Republics. That's brutal

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What's Hordes unit composition, once artillery is factored in? I usually go with equal inf/cav up to max combat width, but honestly can't tell what artillery I need. Is it max width minus 2-4 like for western units? Do you end up with 12/12/20 inf/cav/art? Or just a couple art to support sieges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

I've never been able to pull this off. The "near-permanent" 6/6/6 rulers are only at those stats for like two out of their seven or so election cycles, if I'm lucky. And I typically end up hovering around 50 republican tradition, unable to go much higher. I don't doubt that on average you still get better stats than your average monarchy, but by how much really?

You just press the button that turns mil points into republican tradition. Two presses every four years keeps RT stable, before counting any extra RT gain, RT given from events, etc.

• Locked thread