Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The ps4 update news is kind of disheartening. Kind of wanted to start a fresh playthrough this weekend but I guess I'll be waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Not a game update, a ps4 system update.

I went ahead and chanced that ps4 update and it seems fine so far, though one of my friends and quite a few people online had corrupted data due to it. You guys sure weren't loving kidding about that ending. That was really emotional. I made the right choice after some deliberation, but is there really no way to go back and finish it up? I kinda wanted to finish up my sidequests and get a few trophies without abandoning my fellow players to suffer through bad bullet hell sections.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

So not to get all :goonsay: but has anyone talked about the thematic similarities between this and Undertale? Well, I apologize if I'm just repeating what others have been saying but I just find it interesting.

Major spoilers for this game and Undertale to follow:

Both games kind of deal with the idea that the best thing for the characters is for you to not play the game. Undertale is very explicit about this and is even disappointed in you if you come back after you get the true ending but I think this game also hints at similar ideas. Like in the intro 2B talks about the endless cycle of life and death and that is a scene you're almost guaranteed to play at least a few times, repeating the exact same thing again. While the game in general is about endless, self perpetuating cycles of misery and death, this opening establishes that the game itself and you playing it is another cycle that keeps repeating. You keep playing and everyone becomes more miserable as you go on. You die and come back over and over again, repeating the same things and even when you don't repeat the same things, the game has you repeat them anyways with further repetitions to get everything as you go back to previous chapters. Then, in the end, everything is reset back to the beginning with a chance things will go differently. You are also given the option to delete your save. While the game doesn't directly link the two things (you can after all get ending E and not delete your save) I would argue they go together because when you don't delete your save the characters are destined to keep repeating the same cycle over and over every time you play. However, while not guaranteed, deleting your save is likely you putting an end to the cycle and you not playing anymore gives the characters the best chance they have.

tl;dr: both this and Undertale strongly indicate that the only way these character will ever be happy is if you never play the game again

That's how I see it anyways :kiddo:

While I can see the similarities to Undertale, I didn't get the exact same vibes because in Undertale, the player is an active agent in the story who has control of the fates of everyone in the underground. Up until the very final choice to delete your save, the player is not an actor in Nier Automata - you're just playing through the characters' stories. I think the decision to delete the save is more about helping other players out rather than giving the characters a peaceful rest. You can't affect them past Ending E.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

I went ahead and chanced that ps4 update and it seems fine so far, though one of my friends and quite a few people online had corrupted data due to it. You guys sure weren't loving kidding about that ending. That was really emotional. I made the right choice after some deliberation, but is there really no way to go back and finish it up? I kinda wanted to finish up my sidequests and get a few trophies without abandoning my fellow players to suffer through bad bullet hell sections.

Yeah, the only way to go back is to start over again from the beginning. Unless you're like SOME (terrible) people who backed up their data in advance.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

if you say no you can just do ending E again later and then choose yes

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tweet my meat posted:

trolled by cavia.jpg

after completing C's route, the machine headed lady in the camp will sell you achievement unlocks for in game currency

but yes, in what is becoming a series trope, deleting your save data to unlock the "best" ending is a permanent decision unless you back up the game data somewhere else entirely. you do get a sweet new title screen, though, and the knowledge that you saved someone else from a horrible fate :unsmith:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

KamikazePotato posted:

While I can see the similarities to Undertale, I didn't get the exact same vibes because in Undertale, the player is an active agent in the story who has control of the fates of everyone in the underground. Up until the very final choice to delete your save, the player is not an actor in Nier Automata - you're just playing through the characters' stories. I think the decision to delete the save is more about helping other players out rather than giving the characters a peaceful rest. You can't affect them past Ending E.

Well in this case, as is indicated in the intro, you aren't the character but rather the "god" that is pushing them forward. In Ending E you kill the "gods" that made the game itself to give the characters a chance at happiness and the last step , as the last living god in the world, is to sever your connection with the game

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Well poo poo. Did I miss anything cool that I could have gotten postgame when I deleted my save?

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah, the only way to go back is to start over again from the beginning. Unless you're like SOME (terrible) people who backed up their data in advance.

I got to help some other poor player and keep my save file for when the dlc comes out. I regret nothing at all.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

Well poo poo. Did I miss anything cool that I could have gotten postgame when I deleted my save?

I mean that depends. The most hidden stuff are the three hidden boss fights (two with Emil and the statue outside the theme park) and all the joke endings but there's not all that much THAT interesting from getting everything unless you like reading lore (which in these games I do).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

Jackass gives a summary of the entire plot. It's amazing.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

tweet my meat posted:

Sort of yes, but if you hated route B despite how fast you could shred it you're really going to hate it after having to do both A and B again, and then probably at least double that to grind for everything. I'd say put it down and follow The Dark Id's LP instead of trying to wring the game for the remaining "lots of grinding required" scraps, and then see it the DLC is interesting to warrant a revisit.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Eopia posted:

I got to help some other poor player and keep my save file for when the dlc comes out. I regret nothing at all.

If you haven't played the original Nier, you didn't really miss much that would be of significance to you

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I think you quoted the wrong person there.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah I'll probably just watch the lp or something for that stuff then. It was an inconsistent game, the lows were pretty low, but the highs were absolutely incredible. I think it averages out to a pretty great game that I'd recommend in a heartbeat to anyone looking for a fresh experience.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I wanted to complete the final bullet hell on my own, but it crashed after an hour of trying. Maybe the game knew I was going to keep at it until I won or passed out. I just accepted the help.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Eopia posted:

I think you quoted the wrong person there.

So I did. Dunno how that happened.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So one thing that's been bugging me. What the hell is a meteorite shard and why is it so rare when I have a stack of like 20 full meteors by the end of the game? Could I not just break down some of these bad boys for shards because I didn't find a single one in my playthrough.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

tweet my meat posted:

So one thing that's been bugging me. What the hell is a meteorite shard and why is it so rare when I have a stack of like 20 full meteors by the end of the game? Could I not just break down some of these bad boys for shards because I didn't find a single one in my playthrough.

Buy them from the Half Wit Inventor guy, I think he's basically the only source

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

tweet my meat posted:

meteorites and shards are rare crafting materials for weapons and are used to get them to level 4.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah the weird thing is that the shards are quite a bit rarer than the full meteorites. I wanted to get beastlord to 4 but never found a shard to upgrade it with. Guess I know where to find one in the future.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

Well in this case, as is indicated in the intro, you aren't the character but rather the "god" that is pushing them forward. In Ending E you kill the "gods" that made the game itself to give the characters a chance at happiness and the last step , as the last living god in the world, is to sever your connection with the game

I never considered myself to be one of the 'gods' during Ending E, that was totally the developers. It's not a bad interpretation though and I'm definitely going to donate my save file when I hit 100%.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tweet my meat posted:

Yeah the weird thing is that the shards are quite a bit rarer than the full meteorites. I wanted to get beastlord to 4 but never found a shard to upgrade it with. Guess I know where to find one in the future.

Duh, meteorites are really strong, so not very many of them break :colbert:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KamikazePotato posted:

I never considered myself to be one of the 'gods' during Ending E, that was totally the developers. It's not a bad interpretation though and I'm definitely going to donate my save file when I hit 100%.

I wasn't paying that close attention at the time, but most game credit scrolls have "and you, the player" in their special thanks. I'm not sure if having it or not would be more telling in this case

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I wasn't paying that close attention at the time, but most game credit scrolls have "and you, the player" in their special thanks. I'm not sure if having it or not would be more telling in this case

Nope. I was paying attention. You get a "Thank you for playing" instead. Which fits better.

You're not one of the gods. You're one of the people rejecting them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're not playing as 'you' during that segment, you're playing as the pod.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You're not playing as 'you' during that segment, you're playing as the pod.

Even so, it's your save being sent out, and even without that it's your message of encouragement showing up for other people. The pods talk directly to the player in the end, after all.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Have they fixed the text error issue?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Nope. I was paying attention. You get a "Thank you for playing" instead. Which fits better.

You're not one of the gods. You're one of the people rejecting them.

You can be both. You can be a god while rejecting the gods. As the player, only you have the power to continue the cycle and only you have the power to end it. It's the one power you have over the game and deleting your save is relinquishing that power, while also helping others do the same

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The stats screen in-game has a listing for "corrupted" and "infected" bodies, but I don't think I ever encountered anything like that in the game. What does it refer to?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Very rarely, bodies you resurrect will become way stronger (with a message popup informing you of their infection growing worse) and then they will gently caress up your day.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I played a teeny, tiny role on the project but I am disproportionately proud that it was enough to become one of the "gods" and get blown up by helpful and encouraging players all over the world. So hello goons, you shot me with lasers :unsmith:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

I played a teeny, tiny role on the project but I am disproportionately proud that it was enough to become one of the "gods" and get blown up by helpful and encouraging players all over the world. So hello goons, you shot me with lasers :unsmith:

He has become as gods!

We must ALL become as gods!

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

chiasaur11 posted:

He has become as gods!

We must ALL become as gods!

BYE BYE

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Araganzar posted:

What, then, is the difference between the original and copy? If the copy is the same as the original and perceives a continuity of experience then saying they are different is purely sentimental.
Oh my god I did not say one single word about them being different. This is so dumb. You are out of your mind.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Wall scroll for sale

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I did, in fact, not sacrifice my save data, because I still want to do all the optional boss fights and get Platinum. Just like I did in the first Nier. Because I am INSANE.

So now that I'm firmly in post-game territory: I'm quite happy about how much NICER the game is regarding grinding. Sure, there are a couple true rear end in a top hat moves for completionists (that one quest where you search the desert for artifacts with the Scanner... NOOOOOOPE! Not to mention that stupid unit data quests; good luck finding those rare enhanced units and their random spawn points), but if all you care about are upgrade materials, I'm surprised how easy it was to gather everything. Like, sidequests basically throw the rare stuff at you, certain enemies drop rare stuff reliably with some Drop Rate + chips, half of them can be straight-up bought without hassle, and even the random area drops like Pure Water felt surprisingly common. Seriously, I got fed up with the grind in Breath of the Wild (might by GOTY, but not very nice to completionists), but I basically blazed through that here.

Of course, it might just feel tolerable to me because I'm a broken husk of a person after getting Platinum on the first Nier :shepicide:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Akuma posted:

Oh my god I did not say one single word about them being different. This is so dumb. You are out of your mind.

This was over and everyone had moved on. You could have just let it go, but I guess you just wanted to say something ugly and try to hurt someone who annoyed you.

Your supposition is that something has been lost - a stream of consciousness has been snuffed out. But is that material or illusory? To know that, one must determine the differences between copy and original. I won't push it further, but I was asking for you to define that difference.

I'm sorry I upset you. I guess there's a pretty big gap between how I perceive the situation and how you do.

I think the point Neir makes is that whatever the gap, real or manufactured, between viewpoints, it's how people deal with each other, whether they listen and try to treat others with respect or simply get exasperated and attack, that's important. In the end, when the conflict is resolved or the truth is revealed, all we have left is how we treated the people we met and the bonds we formed with them. Carrying those bonds in whatever we call our heart is what makes us human, not what forms our core or who made it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Some progress questions:

1. I just encountered A2 for the first time. I'm on Route A still. I have two kids :( . How close am I to completing Route A?

2. I haven't gotten enough of the right materials to upgrade my Pod yet. Have I missed something? I have two weapons at Lvl 3 and all but one at Lvl 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Some progress questions:

1. I just encountered A2 for the first time. I'm on Route A still. I have two kids :( . How close am I to completing Route A?

2. I haven't gotten enough of the right materials to upgrade my Pod yet. Have I missed something? I have two weapons at Lvl 3 and all but one at Lvl 2.

About two thirds of the way there on Route A

Pod upgrade stuff is super late. When you're done at the end, that's about the time you'll get them.