Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I got the special Ogbonna and Welliton in my 125k pack along with Lukaku and some other nice players. My pack luck has been consitently very good this entire year and I haven't spent any money past the sticker price. I have 4 theories

1- I stopped in division 5 and have only played WL, tournaments and singles matches since so EA is giving me better cards because I'm in a bad division
2- I have a really low amount of games played in divisions so maybe as the year goes on I'm getting good cards because the game thinks I started playing late
3- My account was marked as a lucky one and I have higher chances at pulling good stuff this year than other accounts
4- I'm just randomly getting consistently very lucky

I'm being a bit facetious but when I read online about people buying/opening way more packs than I have and their best pulls are an 85 or one 81 in form or something points 1-3 start to seem as plausible as point 4 :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Lollin at the idea EA would ever put in the work to do some sort of crazy Prospect Theory-based algorithm to like maximize the happiness people get from opening packs or something

I mean don't get me wrong that would be genius

but I"m pretty sure it's not the case

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Lollin at the idea EA would ever put in the work to do some sort of crazy Prospect Theory-based algorithm to like maximize the happiness people get from opening packs or something

I mean don't get me wrong that would be genius

but I"m pretty sure it's not the case

Yea I'm joking, I think I'm just lucky but it's crazy to me how some people have opened tons of packs and gotten nothing when I've lost track of walkouts and special cards now. I do however believe they lowered the skill gap this year to make bad players stick around instead of just creating gameplay that happened to turn out that way.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I dunno, the skill gap seems to still be in place I think, you have plenty of guys who win 37/38+ games every single week and guys like Tass that have records like 1600-x-60, considering how much luck there is with rebounds and just defense in general (if you make like two tackles in a row that happen to bounce back to the attacker you can easily just concede a goal off of that alone), it's pretty crazy that they can put up those kinds of winrates

Or like Hashtag Harry who won what like 39 games out of 40 with a bronze only squad

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I dunno, the skill gap seems to still be in place I think, you have plenty of guys who win 37/38+ games every single week and guys like Tass that have records like 1600-x-60, considering how much luck there is with rebounds and just defense in general (if you make like two tackles in a row that happen to bounce back to the attacker you can easily just concede a goal off of that alone), it's pretty crazy that they can put up those kinds of winrates

Or like Hashtag Harry who won what like 39 games out of 40 with a bronze only squad

Yea sure but Andy Roddick would still beat you in a game of tennis with a frying pan though. There are people who have won multiple championships playing poker so it stands to reason that top tier players in a video game could routinely still win even if the gap in skill was drastically lowered. The defense is the absolute most automated it has ever been and passing is brokenly easy. I've never seen such a combination of factors before in fifa that can keep an average player in a game with a good player (not elite).

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I guess I agree with that, they did way overcompensate for how hard passing was last year, the driven pass nerfs were good but it's way too easy to pass while facing the wrong way now

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
So I managed to qualify for Weekend League again and have gone 12-14 so far. Not great but I'm gonna try and go for Gold 3. I still need to upgrade my squad in certain places and I think I need to run an ethernet cable to my ps4 because 3 of those losses were due to horrible lag. Also not sure if the tactics on my 4-3-3 (4) are set right because when I come up against defensive opponents it seems my passing options are limited because my guys don't really look for open spaces much.

Eriksen is a loving beast though. 25 goals 27 assists in 70 games.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Grinded a bunch this morning, 15-5 so far, not bad!

Might be able to hit 30, I dunno. I've only lost 2 games straight up and 3 in penalties so doing pretty well this week but I've run into some reeeeally weak players, dunno why. Tons of guys that I just think have no chance, constantly rushing defenders out, etc.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm 5-5 and 4 of my losses have been absolute jokes. I'm selling the poo poo out of 87 Balotelli as well. Every Balotelli card this year has been disappointing. Nothing can make up for low/low work rates, 56 balance, and 67 reactions. On the off chance he's through on goal and no one's touching him yeah, his shot is great, but his runs are poo poo and he falls over constantly. This is the third most annoying weekend yet. It ranks just behind the weekend I tried to play all 40 and burned out at like 22-10 and the all EPL weekend.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
After starting 16-5 I parlayed that into....exactly one more win than my usual :(

fuckin 23-17, I suck

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I had a 4-6 start on friday, went 8-4 yesterday, and finished 26-14 today.

If i'm doing the math right that means I went 14-4 today which is pretty good, with two tough losses in the last 4 that I should have had.

Can't wait to get absolutely gently caress all in my packs hell yeah!

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
pro clubs magic:

p sweet counter attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z_3VR6CbcI

made my guy 6"7 to be an unstoppable aerial threat and then the first time i hit the b button this happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tooq93ubXJk

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Was 14-16 before I started my last session this evening and managed to go 7-3 to edge out gold 2. Really seems like it matters hugely when you play regarding opponent skill level. Although I also probably put my best run of play together in this game so far. I seem to be getting the hang of not giving away stupid goals.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Dollas posted:

made my guy 6"7 to be an unstoppable aerial threat and then the first time i hit the b button this happens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tooq93ubXJk
Hahah that bicycle kick owned hard. Reminded me of a Crouch goal.

SIF Modeste continues to steal my heart and scored 4 for me :love:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT0s9QT2k8o&t=2s

the best of the bunch,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oe7FmpOKfo&t=22s

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

hopterque posted:

I had a 4-6 start on friday, went 8-4 yesterday, and finished 26-14 today.

If i'm doing the math right that means I went 14-4 today which is pretty good, with two tough losses in the last 4 that I should have had.

Can't wait to get absolutely gently caress all in my packs hell yeah!

Nice dude, I was really hoping to get 25 this week but I had such a bad run at the end

I switched formation from 4-3-3 to 4-3-2-1, I'm hopin it'll help some, I do play mostly tiki taka so I probably should have switched to a narrow form before. I'm 8-0-2 so far with it but I'm also playing against only people who aren't doing WL I guess.

With crossing being so weak this year I actually just have a really hard time figuring out what it is exactly my wingers were contributing other than stretching out the defense vertically a bit.

I want to watch like a good streamer play with a wide formation to see how they use the LM/RM or LW/RW depending on their form but I think literally none of the top players use a wide formation. Probably not a coincidence, lol

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 17, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Yeah I experimented with the 433-4 a bit a few weeks back and it worked ok against like not very good players but anyone with a stingy defense keeps me shut down.

I start in a 4321 and switch to the 41212 (2), the narrow one, when I need a change in game.

I really like the 4321, it keeps the wingers super involved and you get pretty good overlapping movement.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I've been trying out the 87 rated red Immobile I got and man I just cannot get him to do anything for me. He looks like an insanely good card on paper but I'm at 1 goal 1 assist in 5 games which is uh, subpar.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Weirdly just while dicking around switching back and forth between the 4321 and 433 to sort of work out the differences and how the defense looked different in each one, I sort of without trying won like 12 in a row and swept division 1 which I haven't done before, but I assume it was because all the good players were playing weekend league, haha.

The one thing I picked up that you can do with the wide formation that I got decent at was like sending a winger on a run, and then timing it so that if he gets tracked by the fullback, you very quickly get it to the striker or CAM so that they can do some sort of central play while the defense is stretched vertically. This works pretty well but it takes your wingers who in a lot of leagues are the best players in the game and sort of just uses them as decoys instead, which isn't a super great use of them I feel like, whereas in the narrow formation I was able to score a bunch with Reus and stuff.

Like, if they don't get tracked then you do get to use them and try to go in but it's fairly difficult to do much besides do a cross, usually they'll get caught up with by the time you get to the end line so like yeah you can try to cut in and it will work sometimes but overall I do feel like the narrow formations were probably stronger, and also gave me way more options on a counterattack, where it felt like any time I got a really good bounce on a tackle it was just an auto goal since I already had 3 guys up there centrally waiting to do stuff.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
You can do that with the 4321 as well (in fact, it's probably one of the reasons why I've been doing better lately) but it's not quite as frequent and generally it's all a little bit more bunched up so your passes have to be more precise and quick.

The nastiest thing that a 4321 can do that I've seen is bunch the entire defense up on one side and then do like a cascading series of passes to the opposite side CM who is usually hanging back to cover defensively before he makes his run, leaving him basically completely open. Next time I score (or get scored on) that way I'll try and get a replay, it's pretty insane.

The most important thing for the formation IMO is that all your midfielders should be multirole and they all have to have as much stamina as possible. I literally pick my midfielders based entirely on stamina at this point because of it, more so than I would with a 433 or 41212 for sure.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

hopterque posted:

I've been trying out the 87 rated red Immobile I got and man I just cannot get him to do anything for me. He looks like an insanely good card on paper but I'm at 1 goal 1 assist in 5 games which is uh, subpar.
I had one of his IF's early on and I had the same results. Amazing stats/card but dumpster results in-game.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Weird, Immobile is one of the few cards I've not used that I assume is good because he always turns up against me. I hosed around and went 4-0 with this squad in weekend league.

The 99 strength + 75 balance + backs into player trait on Akinfenwa is an amazing combo. He just absolutely bullied the opposing center backs and opened up lanes for wingers and Watkins to score. Akinfenwa's shot is way too good as well... over a goal a game for me with ~10 games played so far. His short passing is suspiciously good too. Seriously though I feel more confident in front of goal with him than most 80-85 strikers.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm telling you after my experience with Latza I think if you get like open shots it almost doesn't matter what your finishing is, when I got him on 1 on 1s with the keeper he finished them most of the time with 45 finishing

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Akinfenwa has poo poo shotpower though and he's scoring me bangers, not just unmarked cross body shots from close. Also while you can score open goals with poo poo finishing you'll also drag completely easy goals wide a lot in my experience with sub 60 finishing.

Anyways here's a sample from 3 different weekend league games.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean just watching that hashtag harry bronze weekend league series you can tell like any player on the field is capable of some banging shots but you're right, maybe Latza did hash up a few more chances here or there that other players wouldn't, but I've certainly had Lewandowski and Modeste gently caress up their share of easy chances too

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just realized that I had switched to 4321 and forgot that I still had Muller in the middle from when he was a CAM in the 4-3-3 (4) but as much as I love the guy I gotta pull him i think, he has like 40 defending and I can't really have a defensive liability in such an attacking formation.

Anyway, as a replacement, I got 87 Keita who looks like a fuckin beast. I put Shadow on him since his passing and shooting are already so strong, so that gets him to like upper 90s defending and almost maxed out pace, should be insane in the middle.

Here's what my team looks like now with the new formation:

https://www.easports.com/fifa/ultimate-team/web-app/show-off?showoffId=hl6GhPKenMBf1:FFA17PS4

I originally had Vidal and Thiago swapped but I realized that's probably a decent sized mistake since they are both right footed and Thiago has 5* weak foot to Vidal's 4, so having Vidal on the left was probably not a good idea

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 18, 2017

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
87 Keita is loving insane I'm sure, I was using his RM card at CM one weekend and he was incredible.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I just didn't get on with the 86 keita, but then again I don't like H/M on my CMs if I'm playing a 433(4). In other news I packed Di Maria in the MM SBC. The Argentine flag walkout is definitely bittersweet. I also won the qualifying tournament, it wasn't a crazy requirement but it was a fun change of pace. 8 golds max in a team. The guy in the final had some trash silver left back so I just torched him with Kuba all game. I gave IF King a first runout as well and he's great. Very rapid, it's a shame he didn't get POTM. Speaking of POTM, I'd wager Son is lock. I'm debating a special Son card assuming they'll require one of his special cards like the Lukaku and Zlatan POTMs. I might snag the first MOTM instead of his IF.. it's 200k and it would probably lose a lot less value if it wasn't needed.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Here is a tip that I really think helps after experimenting the past couple of days:

If you have crossing on semi, and I think all of us do, I THINK this is how the game aims based on inputs from what I've noticed in the past couple of days:

I'm sure some of you have noticed that if you are in the final 1/4 or so, it doesn't matter which way you hold on the stick, the game will cross it into the box if you hit the cross button. If you haven't noticed, try it out, it's true. What I've started doing is when I cross I aim completely away from the box, I aim all the way back to my own goal with the stick while I'm charging it up. I THINK based on what I've seen, if you do this your guy will try to put the ball further away from the goalie and thereby increasing your success % because the main obstacle to crossing in this game is the super goalies that grab everything.

I've had way more success since I started doing that, and as an experiment I also aimed like at the back line and it seemed to cross the ball closer to the goalie.

Try it out, I'd be curious to see what you guys find to be the case. I think people know I am really not into like superstition or FIFA myths that people perpetuate, but I do think this sort of makes sense and really seems to work for me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Seltzer posted:

I just didn't get on with the 86 keita, but then again I don't like H/M on my CMs if I'm playing a 433(4). In other news I packed Di Maria in the MM SBC. The Argentine flag walkout is definitely bittersweet. I also won the qualifying tournament, it wasn't a crazy requirement but it was a fun change of pace. 8 golds max in a team. The guy in the final had some trash silver left back so I just torched him with Kuba all game. I gave IF King a first runout as well and he's great. Very rapid, it's a shame he didn't get POTM. Speaking of POTM, I'd wager Son is lock. I'm debating a special Son card assuming they'll require one of his special cards like the Lukaku and Zlatan POTMs. I might snag the first MOTM instead of his IF.. it's 200k and it would probably lose a lot less value if it wasn't needed.

Yeah them requiring a special son card is a very safe bet, since it'll allow players who have his previous POTM card (like me, hoho) to get a big discount on the new one.

Also he has 4 star skills now.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Managed to qualify for WL on my 3rd try in the tournament this time. That max 8 gold requirement had some people making incredibly poor squad decisions.

Edit: well I just packed 88 rated ST Sanchez from an SBC pack. Wondering whether to sell him or whack him into a squad. Might be a good time to try 4-1-2-1-2 with Firmino and Sanchez up top and Eriksen in behind... I could probably sell him for like 120k though. Decisions, decisions...

E2: Just occurred to me that I could probably get SIF Benteke with the proceeds

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 18, 2017

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I put all my IFs into a futbin list and apparently I'm sitting on ~2.6 million. If I sold off all the other cards in my club I don't use and consolidate into two squads I could have even more coins. Anyone else debating doing a big sell off before TOTS? For instance my MOTM Kante is awesome but he'll halve in price during TOTS. I have no problem moving cards like him on but I'm a bit of a hoarder with my other cards. IF Osako- awesome card don't know when I might want to use that, IF Bendetto- great card the first IF I bought, Smotm Aboubakar- really fun to use. etc. etc. I think I'm just going to clean house on thursday or friday when prices are higher.

Tots cards are always my favorites and I want to have a ton of coins on hand when they come out. Also I guarantee they'll do SBCs for special cards during each leagues tots so I'll also want coins in case a card I really like ends up there.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Seltzer posted:

I put all my IFs into a futbin list and apparently I'm sitting on ~2.6 million. If I sold off all the other cards in my club I don't use and consolidate into two squads I could have even more coins. Anyone else debating doing a big sell off before TOTS? For instance my MOTM Kante is awesome but he'll halve in price during TOTS. I have no problem moving cards like him on but I'm a bit of a hoarder with my other cards. IF Osako- awesome card don't know when I might want to use that, IF Bendetto- great card the first IF I bought, Smotm Aboubakar- really fun to use. etc. etc. I think I'm just going to clean house on thursday or friday when prices are higher.

Tots cards are always my favorites and I want to have a ton of coins on hand when they come out. Also I guarantee they'll do SBCs for special cards during each leagues tots so I'll also want coins in case a card I really like ends up there.
I considered a big sell before TOTS, but I'm having too much fun with my squads and would miss my players. Plus I'd end up building a very similar squad so.. :shrug:

I know there will be some TOTS cards that I'll want, but it'll just end up being some +1/+2 upgrades on cards I already have. So yeah. If I was going in a completely different direction (as I did last FIFA), I'd be selling by Friday. But I'm not so yeah.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Fair, I constantly need to be changing squads (I have about 8 at the moment) so I've collected a lot of random players who are worth a lot but I rarely use. I also hoard a ton of cards that I pack for possible SBCs, I think I'm going to whittle down to two cheapish but good squads + one gently caress around squad to stay entertained.

e- I've already got my first cheap/good squad drawn up, a RPL + Serie A hybrid with Smolov and Promes. I'm going to try and work a SBC Lewandowski + SBC El Sharaawy hyrbid for the second one.

I've used almost every card in this squad in some capacity before and they're all awesome + reliable. SBC Smolov was/is better than SBC Higuain and most top strikers for me. He always shows up and is good at muscling people off the ball. The only players I need to buy are Promes and Chiellini.

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 19, 2017

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
you should get the IF dzagoev to IMHO, he is great for me at CDM

how is that MOTM fernandes though? looks beastly

edit: nm that would gently caress up your chemistry

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Yea I have Dzagoev but tbh Witsel is a really good standard card. Fernandes is amazing. Easily the most underappreciated CM in the game. I got him for 15k and well..... look at the stats. The 4*4* and m/m work rates is the icing on the cake. I'm surprised I never see him since making a Portuguese squad isn't hard. In fact I'm thinking seriously about dropping all the coins I save up for tots on a Portuguese all star squad with Ronaldo at striker. I still maintain SIF Semedo is the best RB in the game and come TOTS him, Ronaldo, and Fernandes will get some nice cards to link to. A front six of fut birthday nani, ronaldo, IF Quaresma, If Mario, IF pizzi, and MOTM Fernandes is already an incredible squad, when TOTS boosts some of those cards and finally delivers some good portuguese defenders that team will be a menace.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Through the magic of 4/20 PS4 parmos reached the promised land after a 7 year struggle with a perfect season

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, dude, buy some new socks god drat

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I spent all my money on illegal pro clubs hacks

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
You also chose to not let a fellow Parmo join in because you were 5-0 in the season? What an utter oval office move. Shameful poo poo.

Even Mates wouldn't stoop that low.

E: they didn't let Apache Chief join up and be the 4th. Total bitch move. Lost a lot of respect from me tbh.

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apache Chief
May 21, 2011
Like the great Apache Geronimo once said, "The soldiers never explained to the government when an Indian was wronged, but reported the misdeeds of the Indians."

When they came for soulex, I said nothing because he was playing using pro cam.
When they came for fluos, I said nothing because I couldn't understand his accent.
When they came for me, there was only Haag left to speak.

Don't risk your spot on a team that can win a D1 title every 7 years just for my honor.

Let us allow this thread to get back to discussing the delicate intricacies of the FUT market and upcoming SBC's.

• Locked thread