Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
CTF is no longer a string of draws. It is now a string of losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone playing CTF is a loser, so this makes sense

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's incredibly easy to keep the payload above 80% HP on either mode.

Bruceski posted:

Then you have different pubbies than I do. Reins off in left field somewhere, Tracers shooting the shield instead of circling behind eradicators, Torbs who ignore their gun and just hammer the turret all day every day...

What SRs do you two have? The PvE matchmaking still takes your MMRs into account, I get silver/gold people who struggle to work together on Hard. My teams melt as soon as Detonators and Bastions start showing up unless I'm in a group with people I know and trust.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

maou shoujo posted:

What SRs do you two have? The PvE matchmaking still takes your MMRs into account, I get silver/gold people who struggle to work together on Hard. My teams melt as soon as Detonators and Bastions start showing up unless I'm in a group with people I know and trust.

My SR is just under 2200 and this is exactly what happens to me with pubbies on hard.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

CTF is no longer a string of draws. It is now a string of losses.

~CTF hasn't been a good game mode for any game since UT2k4~

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
OW CTF just made me really want to reinstall Quake2

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Bolow posted:

~CTF hasn't been a good game mode for any game since UT2k4~

FPS hasn't been a good game genre since UT2k4.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

For Multiplayer?

:same:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
CSGO begs to differ

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's this pretty neat FPS out there called Overwatch, don't know if you've heard of it

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Friendly reminder that the new UT alpha is still open and still free.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

Updates very slowly but it is now in a quite playable state. If you ever liked 2k4 you will probably enjoy the new game. If you preferred UT1 (99) then you might also enjoy the game since it kind of splits the difference in terms of gameplay.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I really like Natural Selection 2 but hardly anyone plays it anymore and it took like 4 years for the game to be remotely playable :smith:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Poopy Palpy posted:

No. Original flavored UT none of this training wheel casual poo poo that was UT2K3/4. I liked Command and Conquer Renegade too.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 20, 2017

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Is there any game out there that ever tried to recreate the campy, chaotic mess that was race maps?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Bolow posted:

I really like Natural Selection 2 but hardly anyone plays it anymore and it took like 4 years for the game to be remotely playable :smith:

Me too. Me too... I wish NS2 was hugely popular. Such a cool concept/hybrid FPS. Shame.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

AceClown posted:

There was also one where you could cast a damage buff spell and then do something like change zones and it would stack over and over meaning the next time you hit something you would one shot it.

Late to the party, but I think it was Windfury totem on the zone line.

Then there was the unintended fuckery that you could have vs your own faction. Immortal mobs that could be dragged into cities to disrupt the auction houses, the fel hunter army that you could use to lag the hell out of Org that you got from repeatedly dropping a quest and picking it back up, the mark of shame that allowed you to attack the battlemasters and get people killed with the cleave (held the AH hostage with that one during easter until I got a pink dress), the original ritual of doom with newbies, summoning people to the bottom of the well in the unfinished Mount Hyjal, all of the weird pet summoning glitches that resulted in debuffs getting carried outside of raids... I'm amazed I never got banned for all the poo poo I did in that game. I miss it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The one I remember was something like they changed the multiplier on some rogue ability and all the NPCs in the barrens died or otherwise did something weird. Somebody didn't sanitize a variable.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

kumba posted:

CSGO begs to differ

Csgo begs for a lot poo poo

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm happy to get the Torbjorn skin that lets me see all of his facial animations clearly now, the veil has been lifted.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I'm still kind of hoping for a 1 year anniversary event to start on may 23rd. Sure it would be only three weeks between events, but that was pretty much the gap between winter/christmas and chinese new year? Then a longer gap again until whichever way they want to re-brand the summer games in august.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bolivar posted:

I'm still kind of hoping for a 1 year anniversary event to start on may 23rd. Sure it would be only three weeks between events, but that was pretty much the gap between winter/christmas and chinese new year? Then a longer gap again until whichever way they want to re-brand the summer games in august.

Blizzard usually has anniversary events for their releases even when there's nothing special going on, so a free "thanks for playing" lootbox or spray/player icon seems likely.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Bolivar posted:

Maybe they'll do a Independence Day event in July

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Maybe they'll do a Independence Day event in July

We'll I'm fully supporting a "gently caress YEAH MURICA :911:" event (and I'm from Europe) but I'm kind of thinking they would deem it as too nationalistic, even if the concept wasn't particularly more nationalistic than the Chinese new years thing.
Anniversary event would be great for bringing in skin concepts that are not related to any holiday or "Overwatch incident" at all.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 21, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bolivar posted:

We'll I'm fully supporting a "gently caress YEAH MURICA :911:" event (and I'm from Europe) but I'm kind of thinking they would deem it as too nationalistic, even if the concept wasn't particularly more nationalistic than the Chinese new years thing.

Clearly you missed McCree's summer games skin.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Kai Tave posted:

Clearly you missed McCree's summer games skin.

Individual skins are on a slightly different level, the US independence day is completely irrelevant to practically everyone outside the US so there's pretty much zero chance they'll do anything with it considering the global playerbase and tone of the game.

Doing one for every represented country's independence/establishment day would be cool, but obviously far too much effort to implement.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 21, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Individual skins are on a slightly different level, the US independence day is completely irrelevant to practically everyone outside the US so there's pretty much zero chance they'll do anything with it considering the global playerbase and tone of the game.

Doing one for every represented country's independence/establishment day would be cool, but obviously far too much effort to implement.

Well admittedly I was thinking it wouldn't actually be labeled as an Independence Day event, rather just a generic Summer event with a lot of 4th of July imagery(so mostly fireworks)

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd love a Trumphog skin tbh.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kanfy posted:

And also, a bunch of heroes dressed up in their flag colors in the Summer Games.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

drrockso20 posted:

Well admittedly I was thinking it wouldn't actually be labeled as an Independence Day event, rather just a generic Summer event with a lot of 4th of July imagery(so mostly fireworks)

But why would it need to be an event of any kind? As I said Overwatch is all about people from all over the globe coming together rather than being centered around a specific nation, so why would the US independence day have its own event over, say, the South Korean or Mexican independence days? It's not like they don't have their own traditions and imagery.

Besides, we already had fireworks-centered event in the Year of the Rooster.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

teagone posted:

Me too. Me too... I wish NS2 was hugely popular. Such a cool concept/hybrid FPS. Shame.

That's what happens when you make the basic character require bunnyhopping but don't directly tell your players via some in game tutorial until 2 years later.

Also the Spark Engine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kanfy posted:

But why would it need to be an event of any kind? As I said Overwatch is all about people from all over the globe coming together rather than being centered around a specific nation, so why would the US independence day have its own event over, say, the South Korean or Mexican independence days? It's not like they don't have their own traditions and imagery.

Besides, we already had fireworks-centered event in the Year of the Rooster.

Mostly because for the most part Overwatch only releases new skins as part of events

Also I think we can all agree that an Uncle Sam and/or George Washington skin for Soldier 76 and an Abraham Lincoln skin for McCree would be amazing

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

McCree already has an America skin though

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

drrockso20 posted:

Mostly because for the most part Overwatch only releases new skins as part of events

What does everyone think about this, btw?

I get it comlpetely and I much rather have timed skins, since it makes them a bit more rare and makes the game more varied (plus drives people to play more during events), but then again it's kind of annoying they never release non-timed skins. Like, I would love it if the Uprising skins weren't time-gated since they are lore based skins and not just a celebration with a begining and end.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I think timed skins are okay as long as the events are frequent like now.

I don't need a huge library of skins, just a couple new ones every now and then to get excited about.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I kind of wish I could pick a few skins and have the game randomly pick between them or something similar.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Redundant posted:

I kind of wish I could pick a few skins and have the game randomly pick between them or something similar.

like that random option for highlight intros? it'd be kinda fun to have that for everything so you never know what you're gonna get going into a match

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I get it comlpetely and I much rather have timed skins, since it makes them a bit more rare and makes the game more varied (plus drives people to play more during events), but then again it's kind of annoying they never release non-timed skins. Like, I would love it if the Uprising skins weren't time-gated since they are lore based skins and not just a celebration with a begining and end.

Maybe if the drop rates were better? I'd like to have some of the event skins but I'm not grinding this game like it's a loving MMO over it, and I'm not dropping money on them, so I just accept I'm probably never going to get one

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I really wish they wouldn't limit getting the skins to a specific time period, it makes it feel like I have to grind out Arcade wins if I want a chance at maybe getting a skin I might possibly like. I wouldn't mind if they increased the price after the event, but the fact that there's no way to directly buy skins is annoying and I'm not spending money to gamble for skins.

Redundant posted:

Also make it so that it switches after every death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kanfy posted:

But why would it need to be an event of any kind? As I said Overwatch is all about people from all over the globe coming together rather than being centered around a specific nation....

Chinese New Year seems kind of specific.

So did the X-Mas event considering that's a specific religion's holiday.

Halloween is also primarily an American holiday...

It's as if....

As if.....

It doesn't loving matter.