Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Makes sense really.

The key take away point is that a commercial bank is doing this while the reserve bank is doing [error file not found].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
This is simply making hay while the sun shines.

The easiest way to "... ensure we continue to meet our regulatory requirements" is policy not pricing.

Hang in for a bumpy ride.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

DancingShade posted:

Makes sense really.

The key take away point is that a commercial bank is doing this while the reserve bank is doing [error file not found].

Isn't this due to APRA doing something about it? (ie liquidity requirement changes)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
gently caress moi

quote:

Millionaires trying to draft Peta Credlin to unseat Higgins MP Kelly O’Dwyer

DISGRUNTLED millionaires are attempting to draft Peta Credlin to unseat federal Cabinet minister Kelly O’Dwyer in the blue-ribbon seat of Higgins.

A powerful group of local Liberals want Tony Abbott’s former chief of staff to challenge Ms O’Dwyer in retribution for her role in an unpopular tax on their superannuation savings. When asked by the Herald Sun about the plan on Friday, Ms Credlin would only say: “I have not been formally approached to run for Higgins”.

It’s understood the group of ­current and former Liberal branch members have made an unofficial approach and are willing to bankroll a challenge to the Revenue and ­Financial Services Minister because of their fury over the Turnbull ­Government’s changes to super.

Victorian-born Ms Credlin has long been touted as a political candidate.

While she ran the former prime minister’s office, Ms Credlin was accused of ­deliberately holding back Ms O’Dwyer’s political career.

As Mr Abbott’s closest ­political adviser, Ms Credlin played a pivotal role in the former Liberal leader’s rise and fall and was accused of being a “control freak” and “micromanager” by Cabinet ministers and Mr Abbott’s political ­rivals.

Since the pair were ousted by the Turnbull regime, she’s been a continued critic of the current government — despite having once worked for Malcolm Turnbull — through her roles as a TV commentator and newspaper columnist.

She has previously been linked to a Victorian senate bid as well as the safe northeastern suburbs seat of Menzies should Abbott ally Kevin ­Andrews ­retire.

The Herald Sun has been told Victorian Liberal president Michael Kroger — part of a rival faction to Ms O’Dwyer’s — is aware of the plan from Higgins branch members to challenge. Mr Kroger did not return calls on Friday.

Ms O’Dwyer, who supported Mr Turnbull in the leadership ballot over Mr Abbott, was vocal in her support for Peter Reith’s challenge on Mr Kroger for the party’s top Victorian role last month before he withdrew his nomination following a health scare.

Ms O’Dwyer is currently on maternity leave.

Any challenge would be a warning shot against warring NSW Liberals faction who are understood to be considering a challenge for Mr Abbott’s ­federal seat of Warringah.

The Save Our Super group emerged in Melbourne during last year’s election campaign after contentious Budget moves, including a $500,000 “lifetime cap” on after-tax super contribution.

Many of the group were members of the Higgins branch and complained that they were not given a fair ­hearing by their local MP. A series of leaked emails last year revealed a number of members had quit the party or were ­refusing to raise funds for Mr Turnbull because of the policy.

Mr Turnbull and Ms O’Dwyer declined invites to address a Save Our Super rally at Malvern Town Hall two weeks out from last year’s ­election day.

The changes, which come in to effect on July 1, include a tax increase from 15 per cent to 30 per cent on contributions for workers earning more than $250,000. The seat of Higgins takes in Melbourne’s wealthiest postcode, Toorak

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...a473-1492777201

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/vanOnselenP/status/855370389249306624

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol the Feds housing affordability policy is going to be releasing commonwealth land for residential development and exempting boomers from their house sales affecting pensions or super :allears:

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Even if the RTA wanted to nail the guy most fines can only be issued when the criteria is witnessed by an authorised officer. Except EPA fines maybe I never understood that poo poo. It's why a car can be reported abandoned and even if it's been there since Job was a boy the months long process still has to be followed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol the Feds housing affordability policy is going to be releasing commonwealth land for residential development and exempting boomers from their house sales affecting pensions or super :allears:

I can't wait to have a 3 hour each way commute to the nearest urban centre that still has jobs and also to have my future home incinerated via bushfire in an area not covered by any insurance policy because of fire risk.

Because I'm pretty sure any land exploitable and livable would be long gone by now.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 21, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

DancingShade posted:

I can't wait to have a 3 hour each way commute to the nearest urban centre that still has jobs and also to have my future home incinerated via bushfire in an area not covered by any insurance policy because of fire risk.

Because I'm pretty sure any land exploitable and livable would be long gone by now.

Hello neighbour! :wave:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Hello neighbour! :wave:

I can't wait to put down a deposit on a condo in our future shared accommodation block in the Simpson desert.

So what if we have a slight daily commute to downtown Sydney/Melbourne/Hobart Tasmania. That's a small price to pay for a piece of land to call our own and you know good ol' Barnaby would approve.

Hopefully Tank Girl and her mutant kangaroo friends move in too so we can catch a ride with them into the nearest place with roads or a train station to get to work.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Tank Girl had a good movie. She needs another.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh god they are so loving dumb. Any chance you have a link to the source of this horrible news?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...420-gvorgv.html

Deals with importation of goods valued under a grand. I couldn't pull out a key quote because it's all relevant. Worth a read. If you don't understand why you should care then gently caress you read it anyway you dumb gently caress.

Wait I found a key point:

"However, if that exact same hat merchant used their own platform in the form of an individual website, there is no GST unless and until they exceed $75,000 worth of sales in Australia. When they do exceed this mark, the onus will be entirely on them to report and collect the tax.

"The ATO is not equipped to monitor millions of Chinese businesses and because of this, it will create an incentive for some businesses to dodge the tax and cheat the system."

In other words come July 1st somehow magically no company in the world is going to be selling $75k worth of goods to Australians and no tax will be collected. Brilliant.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solemn Sloth posted:

So, if I'm a retiree, I can sell my house for $750,000 and it won't affect my pension?

So what does a $50,000 a year rental property look like nowadays?

EDIT: Like this, apparently

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Holy poo poo at the $5800/w one. How the gently caress can anyone afford that poo poo? $300,000 a year on something you won't even own.

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

DancingShade posted:

There's always Armidale.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

foot posted:

There's always Armidale.

A quick 8 hour train ride into Sydney. If you're good with time management you can work a regular working day, sleep and eat on the train home, spend 5 minutes on a shower then rush back to catch the midnight train back into the city.

If only there were jobs in regional areas.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

This is the best news all week.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Holy poo poo at the $5800/w one. How the gently caress can anyone afford that poo poo? $300,000 a year on something you won't even own.

The trick here is not to pay the rent yourself but to get your company to pay it. $6k a week is gently caress all when it's not your money.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

its an extremely painful potentially lethal fever, transmitted through mosquito bites

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Kurtofan posted:

its an extremely painful potentially lethal fever, transmitted through mosquito bites

The government has left people on Manus / Nauru to die of medical conditions. To have a few people brought here for treatment it must be beyond horrible. Like disco fever.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Oh god they are so loving dumb. Any chance you have a link to the source of this horrible news?

Nah this is me collecting snippets they've let out through a couple of places, shelving housing affordability as a budget centrepiece, CGT changes apparently back off the table, removing barriers to downsizing.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

DancingShade posted:

Yes but what if we could give our mates $300M by contracting out rehabilitation of a 120ha defence site in a middle ring suburb. This is the actual example they were proud enough to tout last week.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yes but what if we could give our mates $300M by contracting out rehabilitation of a 120ha defence site in a middle ring suburb. This is the actual example they were proud enough to tout last week.

Defence owns poo poo-tins of highly valuable land in the capitals. Great if you love heavy metals, crude oil contaminants, PCBs, unexploded ordinance etc.

Because I'm sure that LibShill Ltd will do an absolutely thorough cleanup job prior to development.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Defence owns poo poo-tins of highly valuable land in the capitals. Great if you love heavy metals, crude oil contaminants, PCBs, unexploded ordinance etc.

Because I'm sure that LibShill Ltd will do an absolutely thorough cleanup job prior to development.

yeah, the 120 ha one they talked about is an old munitions factory so god loving knows the state of the soil there.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

yeah, the 120 ha one they talked about is an old munitions factory so god loving knows the state of the soil there.

Turn it into a gated community for LNP voters and politicians imo. Force them to eat only food grown on the property.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I am so very happy that we have men of this talent running our country.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Comstar posted:

Any day now

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Comstar posted:

Don't worry, the ATO is making up for the RBA's incompetence:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-22/no-evidence-on-multinational-tax-evasion,-ato-says/8462560

quote:

The Australian Tax Office (ATO) has declared there is little evidence of multinational tax evasion, despite several major international cases.

Technology giant Oracle and Credit Suisse are among the major companies that have been fined for breaking overseas tax laws.

But in Australia, the ATO thinks there is little proof multinational corporations are evading their tax obligations, according to a freedom of information (FOI) investigation.

"We have not seen significant evidence of large multinationals involved in tax evasion," the agency wrote in a letter to the ABC.

In the past year, it has not conducted any reviews or reports into the issue and is not considering any measures or policies to deal with tax evasion, according to the letter.

Well I'm glad they cleared that one up for us. It's nice to know we can trust multinational corporations to do the right thing!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It's probably because they're following all ATO rules and regs but the ATO has already got all their fingers plugging the dyke and can't fix the rules.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Explainer: the difference between tax avoidance and evasion (and tax minimisation).

Comstar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryAO8Zmv4ag

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Comstar posted:

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Periphery posted:

Don't worry, the ATO is making up for the RBA's incompetence:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-22/no-evidence-on-multinational-tax-evasion,-ato-says/8462560

Well I'm glad they cleared that one up for us. It's nice to know we can trust multinational corporations to do the right thing!

you're welcome

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What actually happened in 2012?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

New FPotM

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

New FKotM

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

What actually happened in 2012?
Mayanism.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.facebook.com/9NewsQueensland/videos/1849416448715233/

Nice one Pauline.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Does Pauline's party application form have a question asking for proof of racist credentials or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

norp posted:

Does Pauline's party application form have a question asking for proof of racist credentials or something?

I'm sure they check for Australian citizenship, yes.

• Locked thread