Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Avenging_Mikon posted:

You guys know the salt thing isn't only from Supernatural, right? The superstition of if you spill salt, throw some over your left shoulder?

Obviously the story's stupid and mostly a joke, but let's not assign attributes to someone just to make them more pathetic.

if you see anything that's from tumblr that could possibly in any way be referencing supernatural or that superwholock poo poo, it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've always wondered what the limit was on crossing a salt line. Like, is it possible to go under or over it? If you can go over it, wouldn't jumping work? If you can't, would a demon that tries to take a plane suddenly get smeared across every aisle when the aircraft crosses over a salt mine?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
i bet if u go far enough in any direction in the universe, u find salt eventually

this is probably why there arent demons

makes u think

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I've always wondered what the limit was on crossing a salt line. Like, is it possible to go under or over it? If you can go over it, wouldn't jumping work? If you can't, would a demon that tries to take a plane suddenly get smeared across every aisle when the aircraft crosses over a salt mine?

Travel by plane was uncommon when the myth was invented.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Captain Monkey posted:

Travel by plane was uncommon when the myth was invented.

also they thought the world was flat

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I too scream before christ.

Ah so you're THAT guy at my Church

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

http://imgur.com/gallery/ffVO8

Destroying someone's personal property. Always a fantastic way to deal with annoying people.

At least the comments are calling the OP out for how fake this is.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

THIS IS NOT HOW TWITTER WORKS is imo the best reaction. Why do people try to tell long stories there STILL?

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

failing forward posted:

Also the salt keeping witches away is super old too. Like, has no one seen Hocus Pocus?

All I remember from that was Sarah Jessica Parker in a corset.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

It's a sphere, so how ever wide your circle is, is how tall the dome is. It has to be ionized salt, so going over a salt flat, or the ocean is fine.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The STDH is a café that serves iced coffee I mean just :lol: at the very idea why not also sell burning ice-cream while you're at it SMDH.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also :laffo: at the woman not wanting to do the sex on the writer dude just because he has a daughter.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only believable thing about that is that a dweeb who writes like that fancies himself a writer.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Also :laffo: at the woman not wanting to do the sex on the writer dude just because he has a daughter.

"Girl" in this context refers to a girlfriend.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Or, alternatively, he has a daughter

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

He has neither because he is a loner PUA and this didn't happen.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*a portal to the cringe dimension opens and a very very fat sherlock holmes steps through mumbling to himself*

I'm a wriiiiiter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

It's a sphere, so how ever wide your circle is, is how tall the dome is. It has to be ionized salt, so going over a salt flat, or the ocean is fine.

Huh. That actually makes sense.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Does it count for UNDERNEATH the salt?

Can we construct a global orbiting ring of ionized salt that constantly spins around the earth instagibbing any demon summoned, is what I'm asking.

I am a man with plans

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Sherlock has a lot to answer for.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Danaru posted:

Does it count for UNDERNEATH the salt?

Can we construct a global orbiting ring of ionized salt that constantly spins around the earth instagibbing any demon summoned, is what I'm asking.

I am a man with plans

They'd be summoned inside the circle so no.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Turtlicious posted:

They'd be summoned inside the circle so no.

Dammit :mad:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The solution is to both surround the earth with an orbital layer of salt to counteract alien demon ghosts and to coat the surface to deal with their terrestrial counterparts.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I think what actually happens when you smash Sherlock and House MD and Christian Grey together like this dipshit tried to do is that you get a guy standing creepily-close to the woman in front, then leaning over and mumbling while staring at his shoes- "I watched you going to the bathroom just now, do you enjoy being tied up?" and then when she's fled in horror he goes home and writes out this version.

I do love the part where "the conversation had turned awkwardly flirtatious" because you just know he's the kind of person to mis-construe awkwardness conversation as ~sexual tension~ rather than being creeped out.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
This part ruined it:

The realistic response to someone telling you they're a writer is at best "okay"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's cold outside and you figured I'd like a hot coffee? How are you so perceptive? Are you a detective? A wizard maybe?

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Does AC make people have to use the restroom? I've never heard of that before. Just like that guy has never heard of a normal social interaction before.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

"I'm a writer. Well, technically I clean septic tanks but I do a lot of writing on the side. I mean, I don't get paid for it, but I'm building a reader base. By that I mean I consistently get upwards of 15 likes on my Facebook posts. You like rough sex, correct?"

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
these loving assholes, chit chatting in line.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

Iodized. Containing iodine.

Unless you're a demon trying to get people to wander endlessly through supermarkets looking for "ionized" salt so you can eat their souls while they're distracted, in which case, carry on.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice
For a writer he's a pretty lovely one. No need to include bruises and contusions in the same sentence. Redundant.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

grittyreboot posted:

"I'm a writer. Well, technically I clean septic tanks but I do a lot of writing on the side. I mean, I don't get paid for it, but I'm building a reader base. By that I mean I consistently get upwards of 15 likes on my Facebook posts. You like rough sex, correct?"

This is why I don't tell everyone I like to write. Unless the other person is a hobbyist writer there's no way to say it without it coming out like this.
Like, I'm sort of embarrassed by it.
Unless you are a well-known published author, the next question is them asking if they may have seen any of your work.
Then you say, "do you still visit LiveJournal?" before slithering away. Or how about, "actually, I write things for myself, not for other people." Which means 'even I know I'm a hack.'

I'd rather tell people I'm a gamer.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm a writer, I write Facebook posts

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Catberry posted:

This part ruined it:

The realistic response to someone telling you they're a writer is at best "okay"

Or, "Do they limit the kinds of items you can get with Food Stamps?"

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Does AC make people have to use the restroom? I've never heard of that before. Just like that guy has never heard of a normal social interaction before.

:eng101: Entering a cold room/whatever causes your skin's blood vessels to constrict, which raises your blood pressure a tiny bit, which makes your kidneys say "Woah, gotta dump some water to equalize blood pressure".

Now that you know this, you'll notice it all the time :unsmigghh:

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
A/C was invented during WW1 to be used as a gas they could pump into enemy trenches. Then they'd know they'd have to pee, and as soon someone stood up to unzip their pants, kapow!

zhorse
Aug 11, 2012

i=koC

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

hogmartin posted:

Iodized. Containing iodine.

Unless you're a demon trying to get people to wander endlessly through supermarkets looking for "ionized" salt so you can eat their souls while they're distracted, in which case, carry on.

Maybe it's salt water and we've been the victims of a misinformation campaign to keep us vulnerable to demon attacks.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

1. Yeah, that fifth grader totally knows the Rock as a wrestler and not an actor.

2. Why add the part that it's somehow not for a grade? That just makes your weird lie for people in their 30s even more implausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dwayne Johnson is still pretty active as a wrestler, dude. That's a weird thing to get hung up on in the context of STDH.