Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ensign Expendable posted:

Today's drunkenness wave: four American correspondents and two officers drove to a banquet in the Soviet zone on May 6th, 1945, got shitfaced, drove to Berlin, kept partying at a regiment whose number they did not even remember, then got lost on their way out of Berlin and eventually were detained by Soviet military police.

Starring George Clooney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Ithle01 posted:

Samurai used shields just like everyone else, but for them a shield was a big piece of wood you stuck in the ground. Temples frequently complained about looting because their gates made ideal war material and were usually the first thing to go once an army rolled into a region.

HEY GAIL posted:

meanwhile in the west, soldiers break the windows of houses to get at the lead frames

I don't know how accurate anything in Seven Samurai is, but it's the first exposure I had to the idea that anytime the feudal warrior class goes out to do something, they're pillaging everything they can on the way and constantly in some kind of low level conflict with the peasants they're getting it from. There's a scene where the villagers bring them a bunch of slightly used samurai gear, and the samurai are all "we know how you assholes got this" and Mifune says something to the effect of, please keep in mind that these people are constantly being hosed by you, this can't exactly come as a shock

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

swamp waste posted:

I don't know how accurate anything in Seven Samurai is, but it's the first exposure I had to the idea that anytime the feudal warrior class goes out to do something, they're pillaging everything they can on the way and constantly in some kind of low level conflict with the peasants they're getting it from. There's a scene where the villagers bring them a bunch of slightly used samurai gear, and the samurai are all "we know how you assholes got this" and Mifune says something to the effect of, please keep in mind that these people are constantly being hosed by you, this can't exactly come as a shock

Probably within recognizable distance since there was a caste thing at play.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Phi230 posted:

My personal favorite is the disgraced Prussian communist Union General who essentially led a Prussian unit into battle (9th Ohio "Die Neuner" and later the "First German" 32nd Indiana)

A proponent of proto-motorized infantry even! Though his request for wagon-borne troops was denied.

I'm loosely related to a buddy of his (Hecker) and have a tobacco case of his with a bullet hole.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAIL posted:

come closer and i'll tell you a secret

that's everyone, in every organization, all the time

Everyone I've ever met in the military says improvising is the primary military skill and that contrary to perceptions armies do not attract highly organised and orderly people

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the JJ posted:

I'm loosely related to a buddy of his (Hecker) and have a tobacco case of his with a bullet hole.

Picture isn't loading, may want to fix the link

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
The effort of finding an image hosting site seemed like a lot to me but I did some googling and...

it's there.

Though, going by that citation it should be in a museum.

Ummm...

Maybe Granny had some lightfingers?

White stuff inside is some paper of his? Super crumbly and fragile, I don't want to gently caress with it until I can actually get a real archive to not gently caress it up?

the JJ fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 21, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the JJ posted:

The effort of finding an image hosting site seemed like a lot to me but I did some googling and...

it's there.

Though, going by that citation it should be in a museum.

Ummm...

Maybe Granny had some lightfingers?

White stuff inside is some paper of his? Super crumbly and fragile, I don't want to gently caress with it until I can actually get a real archive to not gently caress it up?

Hahaha that owns

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

A numerical majority of officers in both the Army and the Navy remained loyal to the Union (I want to say 66-33 or thereabouts), but you also have to consider how important that is if the military establishment is going to expand by around two orders of magnitude. Look at Grant. Before the ACW he had attained the rank of captain, and distinguished himself in that role, but he'd also resigned the service due to emotional problems and alcohol dependency. Captain is not that exalted a position. But when the poo poo hit the fan, he quickly and surely climbed the ranks to generalissimus. Regardless of how many antebellum officers went to the South or stayed with the Union, on either side most officer were promoted up in the exigencies of war. The upper echelons of either side were predominantly drawn from the antebellum West Point milieu, but operationally junior officers are just as important and most of them came out of nowhere. If you're into personalities, you can also cite Forrest, a rando and utter shithead who wound up emerging as one of the best cavalry officers in the war.

The apparent Southern advantage in leadership may have had less to do with absorbing antebellum West Point officers, and more to do with just having a tradition of useless idle rich sons of slaveowners who attended military academies for lack of anything useful to do.

ulmont posted:

Not gonna go look for anything more authoritative than wikipedia, but:

That's some good stuff fellows, thanks. I'm reasonably familiar with the course of the war, but expected the number of officers who defected to the south to be much higher, specifically because of the aristocratic planter class that was very into military service as a distinguished career.

aphid_licker posted:

The idea of being a private at the bottom of a chain of command from the 2nd Lt up to the fuckin four star general that is entirely winging it / busy learning by doing is kinda terrifying.

Well look at Bedford Forrest, who started the war as a goddamned private, and makes it all the way to Lieutenant General by the end of the war. Granted he skipped the bulk of the chain because he could afford to equip his own regiment and only made three star at the extreme end of the war, but that's still not too bad of a record. Forrest himself on the other hand, ugh...

Also I do not understand US general officer ranks at all. Major is a higher rank than Lieutenant, but for some reason Lieutenant General is a higher rank than Major General?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

That's some good stuff fellows, thanks. I'm reasonably familiar with the course of the war, but expected the number of officers who defected to the south to be much higher, specifically because of the aristocratic planter class that was very into military service as a distinguished career.

Well look at Bedford Forrest, who started the war as a goddamned private, and makes it all the way to Lieutenant General by the end of the war. Granted he skipped the bulk of the chain because he could afford to equip his own regiment and only made three star at the extreme end of the war, but that's still not too bad of a record. Forrest himself on the other hand, ugh...

Also I do not understand US general officer ranks at all. Major is a higher rank than Lieutenant, but for some reason Lieutenant General is a higher rank than Major General?

Major Generals used to be Sergeant Major Generals, and Lieutenant means "place holder". So the lt holds his master's place when he isn't around, which means the lt is the second in command.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 21, 2017

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Phi230 posted:

My personal favorite is the disgraced Prussian communist Union General who essentially led a Prussian unit into battle (9th Ohio "Die Neuner" and later the "First German" 32nd Indiana)

A proponent of proto-motorized infantry even! Though his request for wagon-borne troops was denied.

He was also involved in an attempt to assassinate Karl Marx for being too moderate IIRC.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Were there any instances of a modern army forcing across a major river against an entrenched and prepared enemy? Obviously during WWII many major rivers were crossed but seems to be mostly done during rapid advances when the enemy wasn't able to entrench properly? There was the crossing of the Meuse in 1940 that particularly comes to mind and while there were French there, hardly in sufficient numbers or prepared?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BattleMoose posted:

Were there any instances of a modern army forcing across a major river against an entrenched and prepared enemy? Obviously during WWII many major rivers were crossed but seems to be mostly done during rapid advances when the enemy wasn't able to entrench properly? There was the crossing of the Meuse in 1940 that particularly comes to mind and while there were French there, hardly in sufficient numbers or prepared?

If you'll accepted a failed attempt at trying, there's the Battle of the Tenaru from Guadalcanal. Americans were entrenched on the eastern shore of the Tenaru River, the Japanese tried to cross it. Didn't go well for the Japanese.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Surely that must have happened at some point when the allies were trying to cross the Rhine.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HEY GAIL posted:

come closer and i'll tell you a secret

that's everyone, in every organization, all the time

If my boss fucks up his job boring things happen in excel sheets and there is a total lack of me exploding messily.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BattleMoose posted:

So aside from the Rhine, it happened multiple times on the Eastern Front, most notably at the Seelow Heights.

Moving further on you have Korea, and from then on your criteria of 'modern army' fighting against an 'entrenched and prepared enemy' get really hard to meet.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Chinese communists forced a crossing of the Yangtze River to finish off the Nationalists in the south, who notionally were secure behind fortifications and a river navy and airpower.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So in case anyone feels like being a mercenary, the CMANO game where goons play a mercenary air force has gotten a ground forces component with Phoenix Command, the grognardiest of grognard tabletop games.

True to all the discussion about the insanity of drunken mercenaries and officers, a unanimous vote led to the creation of a Thunderdome for everyone to fight over who gets to be the leader. The first fight has already led to a broken shin. Injuries carry over into the actual mission if they haven't healed in time.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

The Lone Badger posted:

Yes, but with worse hygiene.

I dunno man, I've been to GWAR shows and I get the feeling WW1 didn't have you completely covered in blood and gore and for the entire duration.

Disinterested posted:

Everyone I've ever met in the military says improvising is the primary military skill and that contrary to perceptions armies do not attract highly organised and orderly people

I don't have the conception that armies attract highly organised peopple :confused: I think watching Band of Brothers was what got me hooked on milhist, and frankly, we quickly get the impression that most of their leaders are complete fucktards.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Carcer posted:

Surely that must have happened at some point when the allies were trying to cross the Rhine.

I believe they either brought out surviving DD tanks or made some new ones for at least one crossing. Turns out the system works fine on a river!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ferrosol posted:

I'm not an expert on Japan far from it but I assume it has something to do with the generally poor quality of Japanese iron ore. When you've only got so much decent iron to go around a shield is a secondary priority. Again guessing that since the samurai started off as mounted archers and remained so for a big chunk of their history shields don't do you much good in a mounted archery duel. Also there's the interesting theory I read somewhere that Japanese sword styles evolved from spear fighting so a two-handed sword was considered to be a must have for cultural and traditional reasons. Or it could be a combination of all of the above. Still i'd appreciate it if a goon who knows what they're talking about can give you something more than my idle speculation.

Here is a video by a giant nerd on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2GcZWl1XGA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Shelby Foote says in the Ken Burns doc that there were only two legit geniuses in the ACW, Lincoln and Forrest. Setting aside that he INVENTED THE GODDAMN KKK what did Forrest do to earn that perception?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

If my boss fucks up his job boring things happen in excel sheets and there is a total lack of me exploding messily.
so far

zoux posted:

Shelby Foote says in the Ken Burns doc that there were only two legit geniuses in the ACW, Lincoln and Forrest. Setting aside that he INVENTED THE GODDAMN KKK what did Forrest do to earn that perception?
the best at cav for the past three hundred years--possibly ever, i'm not sure what a fight between him and pappenheim would have looked like

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Alchenar posted:

So aside from the Rhine, it happened multiple times on the Eastern Front, most notably at the Seelow Heights.

Moving further on you have Korea, and from then on your criteria of 'modern army' fighting against an 'entrenched and prepared enemy' get really hard to meet.

Can't remember the name now but there was also a bad one in Italy. Allies ended up taking the far shore but the losses were ugly enough to wreck careers.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Forrest was....a really complex character. Pre-war he was about as ugly southerner as it got; his wartime career was of course spectacular but tinted by the Fort Pillow thing that he may or may not be responsible for. As for the KKK, as far as I've been able to tell, it started as a big group of guys who wanted to resist Reconstruction, they needed a figurehead/leader/icon, they found Forrest, he agreed. The early Klan was not anything like what it would become...it was more of an old boys club that tried to do things through legitimate political channels. Things broke bad pretty quickly what with the lynchings and everything and Forrest was horrified, so he promptly left the group, ratted them out to the republican government, and spent much of the rest of his life trying to undermine them. He eventually became about as progressive as an antebellum southern white aristocrat could be with regard to race, which caused the good old boys to turn on him big time (in the same way they did with Longstreet) and so he was at odds with much of the southern elites for the last years of his life. His friendship with Sherman didn't help things, of course.

I don't want to come off as a Forrest apologist as he certainly did bad things but I do like the fact he changed his viewpoints as radically as he did, few of his peers can say the same.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 21, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

HEY GAIL posted:

the best at cav for the past three hundred years--possibly ever, i'm not sure what a fight between him and pappenheim would have looked like

I guess I don't know what "best at cav" means.

bewbies posted:

Forrest was....a really complex character. Pre-war he was about as ugly southerner as it got; his wartime career was of course spectacular but tinted by the Fort Pillow thing that he may or may not be responsible for. As for the KKK, as far as I've been able to tell, it started as a big group of guys who wanted to resist Reconstruction, they needed a figurehead/leader/icon, they found Forrest, he agreed. The early Klan was not anything like what it would become...it was more of an old boys club that tried to do things through legitimate political channels. Things broke bad pretty quickly what with the lynchings and everything and Forrest was horrified, so he promptly left the group, ratted them out to the republican government, and spent much of the rest of his life trying to undermine them. He eventually became about as progressive as an antebellum southern white aristocrat could be with regard to race, which caused the good old boys to turn on him big time (in the same way they did with Longstreet) and so he was at odds with much of the southern elites for the last years of his life. His friendship with Sherman didn't help things, of course.

I don't want to come off as a Forrest apologist as he certainly did bad things but I do like the fact he changed his viewpoints as radically as he did, few of his peers can say the same.

So do Lost Causers hate him like they hate Longstreet?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Think of it this way: Everybody knows about Sherman's March to the Sea, but one of Sherman's biggest motivations for the March was that it was impossible to protect his supply lines from Forrest's cavalry. They wrecked baggage trains, collapsed railroad tunnels, and in general made it impossible for Sherman's army to advance at much more than a snail's pace while remaining in supply. They were incredibly effective and impossible to root out, to the point that it was literally easier for Sherman to cut off his entire logistic train and march across the state so he could be resupplied by the Navy, as opposed to having to continually deal with Forrest's bullshit.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

So do Lost Causers hate him like they hate Longstreet?

He kind of got left out of the initial Lost Cause catfight (in example he was only mentioned in passing in "Birth of a Nation") but he eventually became kind of a neo-confederate icon in no small part due to Shelby Foote's constant praise.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the role of cav in 1860 is a) to identify where your enemy is, how big he is, and where he is going b) prevent your enemy from doing the same to your primary maneuver elements c) gently caress up their baggage train and supplies d) don't get pinned down by dirty legs and killed

it's all about mobility and concentration and dispersal of force as the situation warrants. Forrest was really good at that poo poo.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i still want to see him fight pappenheim, is that too much to ask

edit: i have seen one or two lost causers on the internet with photos of him, etc, but by then you know they're a real virulent fucker, since most of them gloss over the whole treating other human beings like things part or have euphemisms or something

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

i still want to see him fight pappenheim, is that too much to ask

im down but are they using 30YW weapons or ACW

arme blanche isn't too awfully different in function but the pistols and carbines are a little more exciting later on

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

im down but are they using 30YW weapons or ACW

arme blanche isn't too awfully different in function but the pistols and carbines are a little more exciting later on
on the contrary, there are few things more exciting than a pistol the length of an AR that may or may not explode every time you pull the trigger

i think you meant "good" or "functional"

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the role of cav in 1860 is a) to identify where your enemy is, how big he is, and where he is going b) prevent your enemy from doing the same to your primary maneuver elements c) gently caress up their baggage train and supplies d) don't get pinned down by dirty legs and killed

it's all about mobility and concentration and dispersal of force as the situation warrants. Forrest was really good at that poo poo.

To expand on this a bit: normally this kind of stuff doesn't have significant strategic or political implications. In Bedford Forrest's case though, they did: it was clear as early as May of 1864 that the upcoming election would hinge on some sort of significant northern victory, and that Atlanta was really the only possibility for said victory. The Army of Tennessee was seriously outmatched in that theater and should have been basically steamrolled, but Bedford Forrest was so successful in his raids that the advance of the three union armies was slowed to a crawl. They only just managed to take the city in time, thanks largely to Johnston being replaced by Hood who did a lot of Sherman's work for him.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

zoux posted:

I guess I don't know what "best at cav" means.

It means "Oliver Cromwell" ecw best cw

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

on the contrary, there are few things more exciting than a pistol the length of an AR that may or may not explode every time you pull the trigger

i think you meant "good" or "functional"

tru

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Glancing at his bio on wikipedia, he was just some poor hick who struck it rich (through, you know SLAVERY, keep in mind) and he turned out to be the finest Calvary officer of his generation. Sharp contrast to JEB Stuart. How rankled were the aristocratic generals by this? Or were they like, he may be an upjumped wannabe but by God he gets results!

Rather than caveat every post, just assume any further questions or statements about the skill or admirability of the military acumen of Confederate officers is tempered by the sober realization that they were fighting for, if not direct participants in, one of the most horrible systems of oppression and dehumanization in American, if not world, history, and gently caress them for that.

Speaking of genius generals, today is San Jacinto Day in Texas, where we honor Sam Houston for his amazing tactic of "get them while they're napping".

Famous painting of the battle by Texaboo Irishman Henry McArdle, who wasn't there as he was born the same year. On the right, there's a figure in an orange serape (some say dress) fleeing the battle on a white horse. It's intended to be Santa Anna, disguised as a woman.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 21, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

Speaking of genius generals, today is San Jacinto Day in Texas, where we honor Sam Houston for his amazing tactic of "get them while they're napping".

In all fairness "shot them while they're sleeping" is kind of the ultimate military tactic.

Fair fights are for suckers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Scheduled daily naps are a bit of a tactical liability.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Part 1: Arriving in South Africa

quote:

The Diary of 2874 L/Cpl. A. W Rose
2nd DLCI- His Experiences in the South African War
9th October 1899-28th of December 1901

Part 2: The Reality of War/Getting Stuck In/WATERSPORTS!

There are a large number of ostriches (1) here. We feed them every day on any brass articles we can get. Ammunition they seem to like the best. Their digesting abilties are very great. We have very bad water here it had come up from the Orange River in tanks on Railway trucks.

1900:

January 13th: We received today our present from our Queen. A box of chocolates which I sent home. (2) We are working pretty hard here digging trenches and outpost duty every night.

Sadly for Rose and many soldiers families eBay is yet to exist for another century.

February 9th: We received orders today to proceed to Graspan to join the 19th Brigade which was being formed there. Left Wittipicts(?) at 12 midnight and after marching about 9 miles in almost today darkness we passed over the ground where the Battle of
Belmont (3) was fought and the stench was awful. Dead horses lying everywhere. Arrived at Maple Leaf Camp (named after the Canadians) this morning.

February 10th: Fairly done up after the march of 18 miles yesterday. Here we met the remainder of our brigade which consists of the following Regiments. Gordon Highlanders, Canadian Infantry, Shropshire Light Infantry and Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry (his own regiment) and Two Batteries of Artillery.

February 11th: Marched about 6 miles to Gras Pan (4) This is our starting point. I went and saw the graves of the Naval Brigade which worked very well indeed.

February 12th: Sunday resting in Gamfo (5).

February 13: Left camp this morning at 5 am on our march across the Orange Free State under Lord Roberts. Our first march was 14 miles to Ramdam (6) arrived here parched with thirst could get no water on the way and when we got here the water was not fit to drink. Here my chum S. Eustance was bad with fever but got a little better towards evening.

February 14th: Left camp early this morning for Riet River. Today's march was awful, no water on the way and the sun very hot and the dust very thick. My chum was properly done up. I carried his rifle for him which enabled him to get along a little better. We got to the River at last and after helping to pull the Naval guns across the Drift went and had a good drink and a rest then went into camp having marched 16 miles today.

1) Soldiers appear to have spent much of their spare time ornamenting ostrich eggs with regimental designs. Some of these survive in the Regimental musueum.
2) Almost immediately, these tin boxes became very sought after souvenirs in England. Soldiers' letters record that a single box could be sold for £5. The Regimental Musuem holds several examples.
3) General Methuen's first battle, fought on the 23rd of November 1899.
4) Gras Pan. A few miles south of Kimberly.
5) Gampo. Not identified. Many of these places consisted only of a few corrugated iron bungalows.
6) Ramdam. Not identified.

February 15th: Marched from here to Ravensdale Drift. We had to proceed very carefully on account of Boers being in the vicinity. Arrived at camp about 2 pm. I was put on Water Guard. Have marched 12 miles today.

February 16th: Marched off this morning towards Garobs Dale (1) Here our troops defeated the enemy and captured the town. Our casualties here very slight. We also captured a large amount of supplies and ammunition which upset the Boers plans because they had to draw there supplies from here and it causes Cronje (2) to retire from Magersfontein and the vicinity of Kimberley.

February 17th: We were busy making ourselves comfortable for the night when we received orders about 10 pm to pack up and move off at once so we took two days rations with us and moved out of camp. We could tell something was up as we had orders not to make a noise or strike a match. We were marching all night.

February 18th: Pitched camp at Beaconsfield (1) after marching 22 miles here we stayed till 6 pm and was on the move again and marching all night. We reached Paardeberg (4) about 6 am marching 21 miles.

February 19th: Just having breakfast when we heard firing about a mile in front of us. We got orders to move to a kopje (5) about two miles from the Boer Range which was Cronje's who had returning from Magersfontein and was Gen French (6) had caused to stop and he surrendered him.

A map of the battlefield, the DCLI and Rose is part of the 9th brigade is somewhere on the far left.

A panorama of a segment of the battle of Modder River.

We had here a splendid view of the fight. The Artillery were shelling them hard and fast about 1 pm. Our Colonel (7) had orders to move the right half of Battalion along the right Bank of the River (Modder River) to reinforce the Highland Brigade and just after he had orders to take the remainder of the Regt across the River. I was with this party for orders (we) were to drive the Boers out the trenches with the bayonet. Before starting our Colonel gave us a speech saying, "Lads we will make the name of this Cornwalls ring in the ears of the world today", and at the same time offering 5 pounds to the first man who got his bayonet into a Boer.

We moved down to the river and found it running very fast but we soon had a rope across and after a few mishaps we succeeded in getting over in safety (it was here I saved a man from drowning, Pte Devil, and nearly got drowned myself). As soon as we were across the river we were under fire of the enemy and about 1500 yards from their position. We were all wet through as the river was about 5 foot deep.

The Colonel formed us out of range and said now we are ready and ordered us to advance. We went about 100 yards before we were fired at putting a cross fire into them. We lay there for about an hour and dared not move. If you did it was a sure bullet, so I had a smoke. I was behind a small ant heap which is a small mound of earth just sufficient enough to hide my head.

A slightly accurate picture, different light infantry regiment and no crafty diary writer sneaking a ciggie.

1) Garobs Dale. Not identified.
2) General Piet Cronje. The commander of the Transvaal commandos.

3) Beaconsfield. A railway junction a few miles to the south of Kimberley.
4)Paardeberg. A strong defensive position which had been occupied by Cronje on the Modder River.
5)A prominant hill.
6)Colonel (acting Lieutenant-General) J D P French commanding the Cavalry Division. Later to be Field Marshal Sir John French who led the BEF in 1914-15.
7) Lieutenant Colonel William Aldworth, DSO, late of the Bedford Regiment.

The Boer Rifle Pits that are making crossing this river with their artillery a bit of an enbuggerance.

We lay there till it began to get dark when we began to retire. I was trying to find my chums who was killed but could not owing to the night being so dark, but I saw some sights I am not likely to forget to my dying day. I crossed the River three times carrying wounded men to hospital and about 12 midnight I went to find our camping ground, a job which took me three hours. I was wet through up to my neck and the night was bitter cold, I had rather an unpleasant time of it. At last I found it and made some cocoa and then got between the blankets and soon fell fast asleep, tired out our day's work.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Forrest was born poor of course but by the start of the war he was one of the wealthiest and most prominent men in Tennessee. He might've come off as sort of nouveau riche to the litany of old timey Virginia aristocrats that dominated the Cavalry Corps but he certainly wouldn't have been out of place there.