Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

quote:

But if a person wants a Chiweenie, they’re not going to go to a shelter and find a Chiweenie

Why is it so hard to find a Chiweenie? :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

You can't really compare juice and milk. Fructose is definitely more harmful than lactose.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

quote:

“We like niches where we’re dealing with emotional borrowers,” Wunderlich said.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

cowofwar posted:

A cup of orange juice is three oranges. When do you ever eat three oranges?

Today? They were small oranges, to be fair, but my office provides fruit to employees, so it'd be silly not to.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

actionjackson posted:

You can't really compare juice and milk. Fructose is definitely more harmful than lactose.

check your lactose tolerance privilege :colbert:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

actionjackson posted:

Neither fructose nor lactose are harmful, barring allergies and the like.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dirk the Average posted:

Today? They were small oranges, to be fair, but my office provides fruit to employees, so it'd be silly not to.

Yeah easy-peel seedless mandarin oranges are great and I can easily go through several a day.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Neoliberalism.png

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

live footage of juicera pitch meeting, with bonus pre Internet of Things items
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viejY6UZ5Bk

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

rscott posted:

Neoliberalism.png

Neoliberalism is an economic theory and doesn't have poo poo-all to do with social justice, nitwit. I feel like I've seen people explain this to you at least a dozen times.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

rscott posted:

Neoliberalism.png

rscott.txt

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Neoliberalism is an economic theory and doesn't have poo poo-all to do with social justice, nitwit. I feel like I've seen people explain this to you at least a dozen times.

Trying to apply market solutions to literally every single problem on earth is a core tenet of neoliberalism

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Avalanche posted:

Dog Leasing... with 70% apr

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2017-03-01/i-m-renting-a-dog

This oval office just went out of business and filed for bankruptcy a few days ago. There IS justice!

Haha what the gently caress. First of all, why does a yellow lab cost 2.5 grand. Dogs gently caress for free! But dog leasing... What's the depreciation on a dog? When do you trade them in??

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

"sorry, timmy, but i fell behind on my payments. sparky's gonna be reposssed"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's the most blatantly unethical operation ever conceived.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Some more choice quotes from a San Diego Tribune article from 2014:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/watchdog/sdut-oceanside-puppy-dog-lease-2014nov28-htmlstory.html

quote:

After Anthony and Françoise Claessens picked out a purebred bichon frise puppy and got it home, they were more than a little surprised to look closely at the financing paperwork.

They had leased a dog.

The contract required regular service and maintenance and allowed the finance company to “inspect the pet at any reasonable time.” At the end of 27 months of $95.99 payments, they would still not own the dog, which they named Tresor.

“I have never heard of leasing a dog in my life,” Anthony Claessens said. “We were under the understanding we were purchasing a dog… I feel that we were swindled.”

The store, Oceanside Puppy, and finance company WAGS Financing of Reno, Nev., say that’s not the case.

“We call it puppy payments, and you can make payments via lease or via traditional loan program,” said David Salinas, who owns the shop on Oceanside Boulevard. “Just like any other transaction, whether you buy a car or a puppy, or jewelry, the transaction is the same when you make a payment.”

Salinas’s Oceanside store, and another in National City, offer four financing options. WAGS is just one of them.

Salinas said 90 percent of his customers choose to finance the cost of their new pet, allowing them to take home a dog they otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford.

“I think that’s very unfair that they are saying we are being fraudulent,” he said.

“We are actually a very legitimate moral company,” Salinas said. “We knew there was a need for purebred puppies in the stores… We do a wonderful job at being able to help customers afford puppies. We provide amazing puppies, not from puppy mills.”

Those that want to terminate the lease early incur penalties and fees. In the event of a default, the company can “take back the Pet wherever we find it and peacefully enter any property where the pet may be to do so,” it said.

Sooo what are the chances of a sub-prime puppy crisis within the next 5 years?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I bet the puppies aren't exactly 'ethically sourced' either.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh just wait until they start offering subprime mortgages for replacement organs. Sorry kids, Grandpa fell behind on his interest payments and no we're repossessing his liver. Happy Christmas!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

MiddleOne posted:

Oh just wait until they start offering subprime mortgages for replacement organs. Sorry kids, Grandpa fell behind on his interest payments and no we're repossessing his liver. Happy Christmas!
Wasn't there an actual movie about this?

fake edit: Yes!

quote:

In 2025, advancements in medical technology have perfected bio-mechanical organs. A corporation known as The Union sells these expensive "artiforgs" on credit, and when customers are unable or unwilling to pay for their artiforgs The Union sends "repo men" to locate and forcibly repossess the organ- almost invariably resulting in the death of the owner.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repo_Men

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MiddleOne posted:

No, that was the same guy's idea for the same thing, but for funerals.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cicero posted:

That was the second one. There was another, even worse movie about it that came out a few years earlier.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Shugojin posted:

No, that was the same guy's idea for the same thing, but for funerals.

What like if you miss a payment they disinter your granddad and dump the body somewhere?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cicero posted:

This is a good musical

Repo the Genetic opera

Remade in 2010 into an action movie and it's not nearly as rad

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 21, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

This is a good musical

Repo the Genetic opera

Remade in 2010 into an action movie and it's not nearly as rad

It's an excellent musical with a cameo by Joan Jett!

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

WrenP-Complete posted:

It's an excellent musical with a cameo by Joan Jett!

Are you people insane? Repo: The Genetic Opera was a steaming pile of poo poo. Gaze upon this corny poo poo.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

A Man With A Plan posted:

What like if you miss a payment they disinter your granddad and dump the body somewhere?

Don't know, he never got it off the ground.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

Are you people insane? Repo: The Genetic Opera was a steaming pile of poo poo. Gaze upon this corny poo poo.

This is pretty much the clip I'd post about why it's good, so I do think it's representative. Yes, it's corny and ridiculous! The perspective on opulence and wealth/capitalism polluting life with disdain for human dignity is very interesting. :shrug:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Tesla: Disrupting the car recall industry

http://www.vox.com/new-money/2017/4/20/15374592/tesla-recall-53000-cars

quote:

This morning Tesla announced a voluntary recall of 53,000 vehicles shipped in 2016. Tesla shipped a total of 76,000 vehicles in 2016, so this is a large fraction of the company’s sales for the year.

According to Tesla, a defective part in the parking brake could prevent the brake from releasing. “We do not believe this issue could ever lead to a safety concern for customers and we have not seen a single accident or injury relating to it,” Tesla said in an email statement to Vox. The worst that could happen is that a vehicle could be immobilized by a parking brake that can’t be disengaged.

Still, Tesla is asking customers to get their cars checked out. According to CNBC, Tesla expects the process to take about 45 minutes and that no more than 5 percent of cars actually have the defective component. Tesla says that the supplier of the defective part, Brembo, will be covering the cost of the repairs.

Tesla’s stock value fell about 2 percent after the news broke. The defect will add to questions about the overall reliability of Tesla’s vehicles. Quality control is particularly important for mass-market vehicles like Tesla’s forthcoming Model 3, and critics have questioned whether Tesla can match the high quality standards achieved by incumbent carmakers.

But remember Tesla is worth more than Ford because Reasons.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Can that Vox author not do basic math?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Can that Vox author not do basic math?

A large fraction.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Zikan posted:

Tesla: Disrupting the car recall industry

http://www.vox.com/new-money/2017/4/20/15374592/tesla-recall-53000-cars

But remember Tesla is worth more than Ford because Reasons.

I've had two notices like this for my Volkswagen over the years. Generally minor stuff; you just go in and they apply the fix for free. I'm not sure why this is a big deal?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WrenP-Complete posted:

A large fraction.

I mean, it's technically correct, the best kind of correct.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Juicero is offering full refunds to all customers. I think they have an optimistic expectation of customer loyalty to single-purpose kitchen appliances.

quote:

He [the CEO] goes on to outline two scenarios where Juicero would be valuable. One involves someone drinking juice, the other involves someone getting a notification to remind them to drink juice before their juice packs expire and their internet-connected juicer refuses to press them.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

WrenP-Complete posted:

A large fraction.

Vox and the whole Ezra Klein crew are not absolute cheering fanboys for the tech sector, but they are so deep in that world that they can have a hard time with perspective.

That said, a parking break recall isn't that terrible (especially if it's an issue with getting the brake to release rather than getting it to apply). Pretty much every major auto manufacturer has has recalls of similar scope in their history. If we start to see more recalls then this could be a sign of trouble.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Dirk the Average posted:

I've had two notices like this for my Volkswagen over the years. Generally minor stuff; you just go in and they apply the fix for free. I'm not sure why this is a big deal?

How many of those affected 70% of its fleet though? That itself seems like a pretty big deal, and the problem that Tesla specifically faces is that they are currently very low volume and are hoping to ramp that up with their Model 3 and beyond and these types of issues could potentially scale with their production. If it does then they'll be a complete joke compared to their competition. Of course with this low volume a single issue will also affect a larger base so it isn't exactly easy to translate it that way.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Raldikuk posted:

How many of those affected 70% of its fleet though?

quote:

no more than 5 percent of cars actually have the defective component

E: I think the question is better posed as "what percentage of a given model", since that's the unit of design and production.

Do car manufacturers validate every single part they receive from a supplier? Brembo is hardly a fly-by-night operation.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 21, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Subjunctive posted:

E: I think the question is better posed as "what percentage of a given model", since that's the unit of design and production.

Do car manufacturers validate every single part they receive from a supplier? Brembo is hardly a fly-by-night operation.

the takata airbag recall. 40+ million vehicles across 19 different manufacturers

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2016/05/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-takata-air-bag-recall

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dirk the Average posted:

Uh, because the parking brake control on the cars in question will literally snap off? I doubt your VW was breaking like this.
https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/854045821867786241

That's a pretty big issue for any car, it's ludicrous for cars that start at $70,000 and only get pricier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Uh, because the parking brake control on the cars in question will literally snap off? I doubt your VW was breaking like this.
https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/854045821867786241

That's a pretty big issue for any car, it's ludicrous for cars that start at $70,000 and only get pricier

How does that even happen?