Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Relentless posted:

Why play games if they don't challenge you?

For Fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I would like it if more guns were good and fun to use

like a p. solid damage buff to a bunch of weapons maybe? would be cool imo

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

Just played the remnant fortress apex mission, it's a tiny and cool map.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Relentless posted:

What part of "I play roguelikes" did you not understand?

Why play games if they don't challenge you? If a game is made well, it should be training you as it raises the difficulty. Something with multiple classes should have defined strengths and weaknesses for each one, and should let you know when you're not doing it right. By killing you. Or failing the level, or whatever. I mean, Candy Crush has figured that part out.

Now, the penalty for screwing up is a completely different conversation. Sync kills being instant permadeath for the round feels cheap as hell. Dropping you dead at it's feet, and having a followup stomp if your team doesn't cover for your mistake would feel so much better than the current "welp i got eaten by a fiend, bio break brb."

In all seriousness, I see the increased health of enemies in Gold as part of the challenge. They live longer, so exist as a threat for longer.

However, most players don't find this fun, and complain that their guns are merely tickling the enemies. And it's not like I'm going to complain if/when they buff weapons and combos to do more damage.

Different strokes.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Also, what the gently caress is this logic?

It makes sense? :shrug: I'm assuming that "perfect" doesn't literally mean you should have to be perfect, just that losing because you screwed up isn't a bad thing.

However I agree that in the game's current state, nerfing dodges in any way would be very bad. if the game was in a much better place then more variance between dodges could be used to make some variety between classes, but as it is, dodging is almost required for most classes to stay alive on gold, and there are so few things that work on gold that we don't need any fewer

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Digirat posted:

It makes sense? :shrug: I'm assuming that "perfect" doesn't literally mean you should have to be perfect, just that losing because you screwed up isn't a bad thing.

However I agree that in the game's current state, nerfing dodges in any way would be very bad. if the game was in a much better place then more variance between dodges could be used to make some variety between classes, but as it is, dodging is almost required for most classes to stay alive on gold, and there are so few things that work on gold that we don't need any fewer

Well, yeah. They need to balance a lot of other poo poo, and make some serious changes to overall damage/health ratios. But it would be a cool way to differentiate between classes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The challenge of the MP (for better or worse) is getting loot. Clearing Gold? You can do that with a team of level I/1 HuVans with Chargers.

In the context of bringing up roguelikes, it would be like if the only reason you kept playing NetHack was to eventually unlock the ability to start with Grayswandir in every game.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
There is already a slight difference in the dodging and jumping capabilities of the different classes (well, not classes, but jetpack types).

Basic jetpack is your baseline.

Biotic jumps travel further and higher, but are slightly slower.

The infiltrator cloak dodge doesn't travel as far (I think) but has nifty ability to screw with enemy targeting.

All Turians hover for longer than the other races. They also have stronger hover momentum.

Most of these aren't super noticeable, definitely not as vastly different as the different dodges that existed in ME3 (N7 Fury/Slayer vs regular human vs Turian Havoc/Ghost).

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Asari huntress can dodge through walls, which is actually ridiculously useful, at the cost of it being quite slow in comparison.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Characters with Fortify actually do dodge slower, as well. Certainly the Krogans do. It's a short, slow dodge compared to, say, HuSent or any Adept.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Related, but also to relax. Im too old for 'git gud'.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

precision posted:

Characters with Fortify actually do dodge slower, as well. Certainly the Krogans do. It's a short, slow dodge compared to, say, HuSent or any Adept.

Nah, that's just a Krogan quirk. The fact that 2 out of 3 Krogans have Fortify probably colored your perceptions.

As far as I can tell, the Turian Soldier and the Turian Havoc dodge equally as fast.

EDIT: A Krogan can hover for about 3 seconds before plummeting to the ground. It's actually kinda hilarious.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think I'll try speccing a Turian for the Hover DR because at least in theory that would be a whole lot of DR and "quickhopping" could be the next "quickscoping" :sicknasty:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

precision posted:

I think I'll try speccing a Turian for the Hover DR because at least in theory that would be a whole lot of DR and "quickhopping" could be the next "quickscoping" :sicknasty:

Don't they get massive hover damage bonuses too? Could be pretty good as a gimmicks build

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Two Finger posted:

Don't they get massive hover damage bonuses too? Could be pretty good as a gimmicks build

The Turian Havoc's entire gimmick is hovering, she doesn't gain bonus damage in the air but her defensive passive gives bonuses to damage reduction and weapon accuracy while hovering and also increases the hovering duration. The other upgrade path focuses on improving the jumping ground pound melee attack, I haven't tried that out yet though. I believe she has the strongest shield out of any of the available classes too.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If anything, the recovery frames of dodges need to be reduced so you never have a reason to run. Hopefully dodging 100% of the time would reduce getting syn killed by ascendants. There's no way to escape fiends though.

While we're talking about design, how come there aren't any Architects in multiplayer? Imagine remnant waves coming from one of those bad boys and you and your buddies need to whittle it down between waves before your shuttle arrives so it doesn't destroy your shuttle.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nasgate posted:

If anything, the recovery frames of dodges need to be reduced so you never have a reason to run.

What? Why is this a good thing?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nasgate posted:

If anything, the recovery frames of dodges need to be reduced so you never have a reason to run. Hopefully dodging 100% of the time would reduce getting syn killed by ascendants. There's no way to escape fiends though.

While we're talking about design, how come there aren't any Architects in multiplayer? Imagine remnant waves coming from one of those bad boys and you and your buddies need to whittle it down between waves before your shuttle arrives so it doesn't destroy your shuttle.

Would the maps be big enough for architects? I am totally down with fighting against a gigantic monster.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Two Finger posted:

Would the maps be big enough for architects? I am totally down with fighting against a gigantic monster.

DAI MP had a Dragon Hunt mode where you went and killed a dragon + minions, instead of the usual dungeon crawl format. These usually took place in special maps, cos dragons are huge and fly around a lot.

I'm assuming similar could be done in MEA, but they'd need to introduce new maps. Considering this week's special APEX mission takes place in the entrance to a vault, they know how to reuse assets from SP, so they could literally just rip out one of the Architect fight zones from SP and just plant it into MP as a special APEX mission.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

exquisite tea posted:

It's not that ME3 MP still doesn't have bugs, it's that Andromeda's MP released in a less stable state after what should have been five years of programming knowledge, with fewer features, and also dared to sell itself on the strength of the multiplayer, unlike ME3 where it was just a tacked on game mode.
No programmer with any self respect will stay at a company like EA for 5 years. All that knowledge is lost.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER posted:

Just played the remnant fortress apex mission, it's a tiny and cool map.

Disagree. You get locked in a box with 6000 Breachers and Observers and no real way to take cover.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Who thought observers were a good idea anyways, more specifically, where are the hitboxes on anything Remnant?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Thor-Stryker posted:

Who thought observers were a good idea anyways, more specifically, where are the hitboxes on anything Remnant?
Shoot Observers in their glowy face when they are shooting you ( weakspot ), shoot Assemblers in their glowy face when they are shooting you ( weakspot ), shoot Breachers in their glowy face when they are charging you ( weakspot ), shoot
Nullifiers in their glowy crotch when their shields are down ( weakspot ), shoot Destroyers in their glowy face when they are charging up their big attack ( weakspot ), and their Turrets in it's glowy face ( weakspot ). Basically you're shooing Remnant in their weapon hardpoints.

Also I am loving annoyed because Multiplayer is so goddamned unstable for me, that I've actually had to spend some time playing the singleplayer to feel like I'm getting my monies worth.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Disagree. You get locked in a box with 6000 Breachers and Observers and no real way to take cover.

I just finished it. The first three waves I did solo as a Vanguard, and goddamn that was unpleasant. By some miracle a team of competent pubbies joined me, then it became a hella fun deathbox.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Important announcement:

Biotic death squads are still brutally effective.

That is all.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And with the triple post for the evening, I'm gonna publicly eat some crow.

The game clicked for me tonight.

It's not perfect, there are things I'd like to improve, but we had a team of two asari adepts, me on human vanguard, and amateursaboteur on human infiltrator. It seems to me as though multiple annihilation fields can prime. That's the only way I can explain the preposterous amount of damage my detonations were doing, because they don't normally hit that hard. We steamrollered gold and afterwards were all saying 'that felt like bronze.'
So, I am admitting that I was being overly harsh on the game and being pretty unfair to it. I had to find that 'click' point though.
I sat down to play at 5pm after getting home from work, it's now 10pm.

I'm stoked, honestly. I was getting more and more frustrated with it, but tonight everything just gelled and I had a total blast with it.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Counterpoint: Literally every time I play asari adept with a biotic heavy team it causes me to crash to console main menu. It doesn't react well to all those detonations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, two of the guys dropped in the second game and had to rejoin :v:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Zakmonster posted:

DAI MP had a Dragon Hunt mode where you went and killed a dragon + minions, instead of the usual dungeon crawl format. These usually took place in special maps, cos dragons are huge and fly around a lot.

I'm assuming similar could be done in MEA, but they'd need to introduce new maps. Considering this week's special APEX mission takes place in the entrance to a vault, they know how to reuse assets from SP, so they could literally just rip out one of the Architect fight zones from SP and just plant it into MP as a special APEX mission.

You still had to do the dungeon crawling stuff before you got to fight the dragon, and you also had to have a separate consumable item to be able to fight the dragon. If nobody had one you just awkwardly continued on to fight a regular boss instead. It was as long and boring as the rest of Dragon Age multiplayer and I hope they don't take any cues from that for Mass Effect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Two Finger posted:

I was disappointed that when they added in the Collectors that at extraction you didn't start to hear a bunch of reaper honks.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

You still had to do the dungeon crawling stuff before you got to fight the dragon, and you also had to have a separate consumable item to be able to fight the dragon. If nobody had one you just awkwardly continued on to fight a regular boss instead. It was as long and boring as the rest of Dragon Age multiplayer and I hope they don't take any cues from that for Mass Effect.

Oh, I didn't know that. Stopped playing DAMP a long while ago and I only got my details second-hand. The bit about the special consumable is terrible, but the rest of it doesn't sound too bad.

Two Finger posted:

And with the triple post for the evening, I'm gonna publicly eat some crow.

The game clicked for me tonight.

It's not perfect, there are things I'd like to improve, but we had a team of two asari adepts, me on human vanguard, and amateursaboteur on human infiltrator. It seems to me as though multiple annihilation fields can prime. That's the only way I can explain the preposterous amount of damage my detonations were doing, because they don't normally hit that hard. We steamrollered gold and afterwards were all saying 'that felt like bronze.'
So, I am admitting that I was being overly harsh on the game and being pretty unfair to it. I had to find that 'click' point though.
I sat down to play at 5pm after getting home from work, it's now 10pm.

I'm stoked, honestly. I was getting more and more frustrated with it, but tonight everything just gelled and I had a total blast with it.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way, but a friend and I are halfway convinced the Expose debuff from 2 different Annihilations stack.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Counterpoint: Literally every time I play asari adept with a biotic heavy team it causes me to crash to console main menu. It doesn't react well to all those detonations.

The game really, really hates it when more than three things explode at once or if the same guy explodes twice.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DA:I's MP sucked mostly because of the amount of pointless grinding and monetization for what was essentially a throwaway game mode that should have never been there. You were stuck with the 3-4 base classes that were all deliberately made to be uninteresting and had to farm up 3 cloth boners and 4 iron boners for a shot at playing one of the fun classes. Compare that to ME3's multi, where even the plain jane human classes were all pretty good, and you only needed to luck out with one card to gain access to that kit's full complement of abilities. Andromeda has inherited a lot of DA:I's worst features by now requiring you to max out the cards for each class to gain the maximum allowable skill points, greatly decreasing leveling speed, and moving most of the interesting classes to ultrarare instead of rare quality. It all just kind of reeks of some EA data analyst crunching the numbers to see how many tenths of a percent more lootboxes they could sell by making character progression worse.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Zakmonster posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't work this way, but a friend and I are halfway convinced the Expose debuff from 2 different Annihilations stack.

Yeah, I've run with multiple adepts repeatedly, and I haven't ever been able to double detonate the same guy in my own field when they overlap.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn if the 20% damage stacks multiply instead of add, though. Or maybe they double dip om weakspots? 3 of them on a destroyer and it seems to take less time to kill than a single berserker outside a field.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't think the same type of combo can detonate twice, but if you're using the dual ammo bug or something you can detonate a Tech combo then a Cryo combo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm pretty sure the damage increases from annihilation field can stack yeah. Asari adepts sort of form a stronger and stronger wrecking ball the more of them you stick together. 40% by itself is so strong that it can fool you into thinking some average stuff is really powerful.

Said it before but the effect where annihilation field levitates debris around you is amazing

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Did they just do an update? Either they increased the weight of some guns or like half my characters suddenly lost weight capacity.

My human soldier was sitting at -1% (which I figured was a good tradeoff) and checking just now he's at -38%

E: yeah my Krogan Vanguard only uses the Talon, last night I was well below weight and now I'm -19%. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Someone find that rear end in a top hat's twitter account and see if they dropped an update

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Someone find that rear end in a top hat's twitter account and see if they dropped an update

Nothing on the blog or Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah, I love the floaty effect on Annihilation.

And in my brief experiences with the ammo glitch, it feels like weapons don't prime as often as they used to? I used to reliably prime with the Cyclone, but when I tried out the glitch, it didn't seem to be working very well.

• Locked thread