Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vyst posted:

I don't really care about that I just want preliminary security to unlock my phone that's easier than typing a pin

I agree.

I have almost zero cares about someone targeting me, I only care about if I drop/leave my phone somewhere and keeping my daughter from messing with my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I go through airports and to protests too much to be comfortable with biometric security.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You can easily and quickly turn it off whenever you want.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Woooooooooooooo

e: the fingerprint scanner location is loving brutal holy poo poo it's worse than I expected based on pictures

I thought you were firmly Pixel for life now?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Godinster posted:

Perks of being IT: always get the latest phone for work. :c00l: :hellyeah: :w00t:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 21, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

I get free work poo poo all the time ;) My personal phone is Pixel 4 lyfe for sure

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: the fingerprint scanner location is loving brutal holy poo poo it's worse than I expected based on pictures

I actually kind of like it, it falls naturally under my index finger and isn't nearly the nightmare I expected it to be. Yeah it's still dumb that it's next to the camera but I think it's easier to use than the thumb scanner on my Note 4 which I never bothered with.

I'm having a much tougher time with the taller aspect ratio and needing to shift my grip to reach everything.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Arcanen posted:

Why bother with a security lock that's not secure? Biometric security on phones is a terrible idea in general.

Because people aren't nefarious spergs who will hope one day that their target will leave their phone unattended then they can spring into action with their photos and fingerprints of that person.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The fingerprint scanner really is poo poo in the Galaxy S8. I just enabled iris scanning and I don't bother with it anymore. The iris scanning works great. And apparently it might be more accurate than the fingerprint sensor? I guess Samsung views it as more secure than the face scan as they let you set up Samsung Pay with the iris sensor too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Impressive that Samsung has managed to bungle the single best advancement in smartphones since they've been a thing. Every review I've read so far mentions how not only is it placed in an incredibly dumb spot but it functions so poorly that it's preferable to just disable it. Not just anyone can gently caress up a solved problem, it takes effort!

I did get to handle one in the store. The materials feel... substantially less than premium. I guess when you're used to the best, anything less is just not good enough. :smug: That said if you don't demand quality hardware or software, I suppose it's fine, and unlike an LG it's likely to disappoint you for more than just a year while you're on outdated software so my Verge score is 9.7 out of 10.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I disagree on the materials, it feels fantastic and it's the best looking smartphone I've seen in a long time. The software however, is garbage, and yes it's a typical Samsung.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I disagree on the materials, it feels fantastic and it's the best looking smartphone I've seen in a long time. The software however, is garbage, and yes it's a typical Samsung.

Weird. Maybe the security doohickey was in the way too much or something. I was quite surprised by how chintzy it felt but I'll have to take another look at it.

I'll admit it was tough to get too good of a read on it because it was hooked up to this demo thing that started blaring out poo poo about anything you touched. It was so loud that it was painful and you could hear it from a good 100 feet away but the speaker was literally at face level. So I'm trying to hold it in such a way as to not accidentally touch anything and make the 100dB voice scream in my face while simultaneously work around the thing on the back and on the bottom where holding it to the kiosk. I just chalked all that up to being a metaphor on Samsung ownership.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LastInLine posted:

Impressive that Samsung has managed to bungle the single best advancement in smartphones since they've been a thing. Every review I've read so far mentions how not only is it placed in an incredibly dumb spot but it functions so poorly that it's preferable to just disable it. Not just anyone can gently caress up a solved problem, it takes effort!

I did get to handle one in the store. The materials feel... substantially less than premium. I guess when you're used to the best, anything less is just not good enough. :smug: That said if you don't demand quality hardware or software, I suppose it's fine, and unlike an LG it's likely to disappoint you for more than just a year while you're on outdated software so my Verge score is 9.7 out of 10.

It does what it says on the tin: Samsung.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's wrong with the software?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

After a few more hours playing with it I actually like the S8+ fingerprint sensor a lot, so long as the phone is in a case.

Feels natural and just works. :shrug: I don't even smudge the camera glass that much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FBS posted:

I don't even smudge the camera glass that much.

No need to worry if you do, the phone will dutifully notify you to wipe off the camera lens periodically.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

What's wrong with the software?

Everything, when you compare it side-by-side something like a Pixel. It's night and fuckin day.

LastInLine posted:

Weird. Maybe the security doohickey was in the way too much or something. I was quite surprised by how chintzy it felt but I'll have to take another look at it.

Totally possible, mine was obviously held right out of the box with no in-store or security stuff.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

cage-free egghead posted:

Going to be getting rid of my Silver Pixel 128gb if anyone is in the market.

How much/where from?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

FBS posted:

I don't even smudge the camera glass that much.

Haha

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Is that phone like ten feet long?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I'll admit it was tough to get too good of a read on it because it was hooked up to this demo thing that started blaring out poo poo about anything you touched. It was so loud that it was painful and you could hear it from a good 100 feet away but the speaker was literally at face level. So I'm trying to hold it in such a way as to not accidentally touch anything and make the 100dB voice scream in my face while simultaneously work around the thing on the back and on the bottom where holding it to the kiosk. I just chalked all that up to being a metaphor on Samsung ownership.

I played around with one at a Best Buy where all it had was a security thing plugged into the USB-C port, and I had largely the same impression you're describing. It appears to be made out of premium materials, but it felt like like a slick river stone. It was lacking a sturdy feel or like it had any heft to it, I was afraid I was going to drop it while standing right over the demo table, and that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Heliosicle posted:

How much/where from?

I've got a couple extra cables and quick chargers as well as a car dash mount. Looking for somewhere around $730

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax
NEed cheap (>$10) headphones with a decent mic. I like my Galaxy S6 ones but the cord is so sticky that its dismembered itself in half under slight stress like twice now. What OEM phones w/ mic have a non-sticky cable and are good?

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
So after a month of waiting my pixel XL has been delivered. Do i use the transfer thing to mirror what's installed etc.. on my n6 to make life easier? Does it copy over login tokens to save me having to relogin to a million apps?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The XKCD Larper posted:

NEed cheap (>$10) headphones with a decent mic. I like my Galaxy S6 ones but the cord is so sticky that its dismembered itself in half under slight stress like twice now. What OEM phones w/ mic have a non-sticky cable and are good?
I'm a fan of these Panasonics. The Wirecutter also has some other options if you don't mind spending a little more.

spiky butthole posted:

So after a month of waiting my pixel XL has been delivered. Do i use the transfer thing to mirror what's installed etc.. on my n6 to make life easier? Does it copy over login tokens to save me having to relogin to a million apps?
The transfer tool does not copy over login tokens/cookies/app data that isn't stored in the cloud, unfortunately, but it does make initial setup a fair bit easier by automatically setting up your google account stuff and auto-installing apps.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

The XKCD Larper posted:

These amazon basics are the only earbuds you will ever need to buy:

Link: http://a.co/56wgXXw

They are super comfortable (10000% more than EarPods), have magnetic buds so they store nicely, have a mic, volume, control button, flat cable so low tangle, and they are only $15. I've used them for years now and I love them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

I played around with one at a Best Buy where all it had was a security thing plugged into the USB-C port, and I had largely the same impression you're describing. It appears to be made out of premium materials, but it felt like like a slick river stone. It was lacking a sturdy feel or like it had any heft to it, I was afraid I was going to drop it while standing right over the demo table, and that doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

YES! You described it better than I did.

Honestly just in terms of looks it reminded me more than a little of the Nexus S, the styling of which I really liked. Might've just been because the one I saw was black. I guess it just didn't feel as good as it looked to me.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The XKCD Larper posted:

I really like these but they do tangle easily.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Everything, when you compare it side-by-side something like a Pixel. It's night and fuckin day.

Totally possible, mine was obviously held right out of the box with no in-store or security stuff.

You didn't answer the question. Like I dig it if you want to suck Google's dick on the pixel but I'm curious to understand that outside of Bixby what I'm experiencing on my s8 that's different than you.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

vyst posted:

You didn't answer the question. Like I dig it if you want to suck Google's dick on the pixel but I'm curious to understand that outside of Bixby what I'm experiencing on my s8 that's different than you.

Have you used a Pixel?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

nimper posted:

Have you used a Pixel?

No but he's used both so I'd like to understand what he's seeing

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/855441489643544576

Spec sheet driven development

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

No but he's used both so I'd like to understand what he's seeing

It's been covered extensively in this thread, go back and read it if you want unnecessary details. As repeatedly said, it's the entire cohesive experience. The Pixel is consistently smooth, fast, well-designed, efficient, and not bloated. Samsung phones are not, and the S8 is no exception.

e: I mean gently caress, just read the Ars review:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/#h7

The Bad
-The gimmicks. The iris scanner, curved screen, and heart rate sensor all seem designed to give talking points to your local Verizon salesperson, rather than provide a good user experience for customers.
-The glass back is fragile and a fingerprint magnet.
-Touchwiz is still a janky lag-fest. Despite the faster processor, the Google Pixel is a smoother, faster-feeling device.
-No support for an always-on "OK Google" hotword for the Google Assistant.
-Samsung blocks users from remapping the Bixby hardware key.
-No adoptable storage for the MicroSD card.
The Ugly
-Samsung takes five-to-seven months to deliver a major OS update. After the initial launch period, expect to be perpetually one-to-two versions behind the latest Android release.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The S8 is really really nice and I'm glad i got one.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Spermanent Record posted:

The S8 is really really nice and I'm glad i got one.

Yea I'll have to see how it goes. It's light years better than my s6 edge. I'm happy with it and it hasn't really been janky for me. I know the pixel is notorious for having a smooth user experience so I was genuinely curious.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Touchwiz is a really well thought out name

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

syscall girl posted:

They renamed it to uh, "Grace UX"?, or something, but the name Touchwiz is still cemented everywhere.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's been covered extensively in this thread, go back and read it if you want unnecessary details. As repeatedly said, it's the entire cohesive experience. The Pixel is consistently smooth, fast, well-designed, efficient, and not bloated. Samsung phones are not, and the S8 is no exception.

e: I mean gently caress, just read the Ars review:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/#h7

[Legitimate damning criticism of the Samsung Galaxy S8, and to not much lesser extent Samsung Mobile in general, removed for brevity -dbm]

Unfortunately, people will still take the S8 over the Pixel family because you can get one before it's superseded without making a deal with ... you know what, I'm not going there; the Devil deserves better than to be associated with Verizon.

People who are already stuck with Verizon have no excuse.

syscall girl posted:

Yeah that's what happens when you don't do linguistic and cultural research before naming your product.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

dont be mean to me posted:

Yeah that's what happens when you don't do linguistic and cultural research before naming your product.

Here comes the funcooker UI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

RZA Encryption posted:

Spec sheet driven development

Honestly, I haven't really been able to see the difference between the native resolution and the default resolution. They most likely use the lower default to improve battery life.

I also understand why people are saying the Galaxy S8 feels cheap. They basically encased the entire phone in Gorilla Glass, even the back, so when holding it the phone feels kind of cheap. It probably wouldn't feel that way if they used a metal back.