Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DoctorGonzo posted:

Ok fam im going to buy a new game. I want to be a manly dude, customization, get money and buy crap, pretty ladys.

Persona 5 or Yakuza 0

It's literally impossible to get more manly that Yakuza 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What should I play next?

Last 3 games I played through were Nioh, Titanfall 2 & Horizon: Zero Dawn. I really, really dug Nioh, and HZD was a bit overwhelming with all the side poo poo you could do, so I just focused on the main story, and liked it when I finished it. TF2 was a great SP experience, lackluster MP, and absolutely gorgeous.

I'm thinking Nier: Automata, but I don't like animes.

Suggestions?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

DoctorGonzo posted:

Ok fam im going to buy a new game. I want to be a manly dude, customization, get money and buy crap, pretty ladys.

Persona 5 or Yakuza 0

Yakuza 0

BoyBlunder posted:

What should I play next?

Last 3 games I played through were Nioh, Titanfall 2 & Horizon: Zero Dawn. I really, really dug Nioh, and HZD was a bit overwhelming with all the side poo poo you could do, so I just focused on the main story, and liked it when I finished it. TF2 was a great SP experience, lackluster MP, and absolutely gorgeous.

Suggestions?

Yakuza 0

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BoyBlunder posted:

What should I play next?

Suggestions?

Definitely get Yakuza 0.

I'm sure you played the other FromSoftware games, but if you haven't and enjoyed Nioh you gotta check out Bloodborne, it should be really cheap now.

If you skipped them, DOOM and Wolfenstein: The New Order both have great single player games if you like Titanfall 2 they're worth a look.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

What should I play next?

Suggestions?

My man, you just played and enjoyed a game in which a man is guided by a playful eyepatch-wearing catghost and a snarky lady ninja through a summarized version of the Sekigahara campaign. You like anime. You are the anime-liker. Try Automata.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I am curious about something to do with persona 5 - everyone says it takes place over a year, and with your days you choose to hit up a dungeon or gently caress about getting stronger. Does this play out like a time limit, is it possible to not have enough time left in the year to complete the story? Or will the game slow the progression of days down to make sure you don't fall behind?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

I am curious about something to do with persona 5 - everyone says it takes place over a year, and with your days you choose to hit up a dungeon or gently caress about getting stronger. Does this play out like a time limit, is it possible to not have enough time left in the year to complete the story? Or will the game slow the progression of days down to make sure you don't fall behind?

There are various gates that if you don't have a certain dungeon done by a certain day you get a hilarious and typically horrifying bad ending, at that point it lets you roll back a week.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cubicle gangster posted:

It's a proper time limit, each dungeon has to be done by a specific date, but it's super generous and if you ever hit the time limit for a dungeon it just sends you back to the first day you could access it, though you lose any progress you've made. The time limit is not a big deal though unless you're messing around and wasting tons of time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a proper time limit, each dungeon has to be done by a specific date, but it's super generous and if you ever hit the time limit for a dungeon it just sends you back to the first day you could access it, though you lose any progress you've made. The time limit is not a big deal though unless you're messing around and wasting tons of time.

Just to clarify a little more, your individual days aren't spent like there's a ticking clock in the corner. You can go shopping and run around as much as you like until you actively go do something that will eat that time slot (each day having an After School/Afternoon and an Evening). These are things like choosing to go hang out with a Confidant, reading a book, watching a DVD, that sort of thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Reading about the time limits in Persona informed me that it's actually possible to run out of time in the original Shenmue.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

Reading about the time limits in Persona informed me that it's actually possible to run out of time in the original Shenmue.

Lol I'd forgotten about that.

Speaking of has there been any word on Shenmue 3 recently?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Oxxidation posted:

My man, you just played and enjoyed a game in which a man is guided by a playful eyepatch-wearing catghost and a snarky lady ninja through a summarized version of the Sekigahara campaign. You like anime. You are the anime-liker. Try Automata.

Don't listen to him its a trap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

It starts on November 29th, 1986, and the last day is April 15, 1987. If you haven't played Shenmue, there's maybe enough content to fill about a month of constant playing in-game so you have to really work to hit that. All that happens is Lan Di comes back and literally punches Ryo in the balls before it flashes to "GAME OVER".

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol I'd forgotten about that.

Speaking of has there been any word on Shenmue 3 recently?

There is in fact a website with official updates!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Neo Rasa posted:

SNK/Neo Geo games currently exclusive to PS4 in this generation:

ADK Damashii (compilation with Aggressors of Dark Kombat, Ninja Combat, Ninja Commando, Ninja Master's, and Twinkle Star Sprites)
Art of Fighting
Fatal Fury Battle Archives Volume 2 (compilation with Real Bout Fatal Fury, Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, and Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers)
Fu'un Super Combo
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
King of Fighters 2000
King of Fighters XIV
Last Blade 2
Metal Slug Anthology
Neo Turf Masters
Samurai Shodown
Samurai Shodown VI
World Heroes

SNK/Neo Geo games currently exclusive to Switch in this generation:

Blazing Star
Galaxy Fight: Universal Warriors
King of Fighters '98
Over Top
Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge
Shock Troopers
Waky Waku 7
World Heroes Perfect

SNK/Neo Geo games currently exclusive to XBox One in this generation:
Fatal Fury 2
King of Fighters '95

Finally definitive proof that both the PS4 and Switch are equally awesome. Bolded titles are potential GOATs for their genre.

Neo Turf Masters is out on Switch currently. I haven't played it but the Switch thread was goons trying to explain to other goons why a golf game was so good for like a week.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 21, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just out of curiosity, is Waku Waku 7 some rare curiosity of a NEOGEO game? I've heard of most of the various NEOGEO releases and fighter game series on it, but not that one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Neo Turf Masters is out on Switch currently. I haven't played it but the Switch thread was goons trying to explain to other goons why a golf game was so good for like a week.

This is awesome and everyone that has a Switch and/or PS4 should get it ASAP because it's the best golf game ever made and super relaxing and fun.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, is Waku Waku 7 some rare curiosity of a NEOGEO game? I've heard of most of the various NEOGEO releases and fighter game series on it, but not that one.

It's made by Sunsoft and is sort of a spiritual successor to Galaxy Fight in that respect, but is a waaaaay better game. It's super bright and cheerful, with some very smooth animation. It has a nice look to it too because it came out on this cusp of when everyone developing for the Neo Geo was like "wait...people like anime" and started flat shading everything instead of using gradients. But they put a ton of work into it so it stands out. Unfortunately the roster is small but most of the characters are cool and fun to play as. Here's some gameplay, though like with most games YouTube can't quite handle the fluidity of the animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spp74wWlW78

As far as it being a rare curiosity goes, I'd say it is. Plenty of people have played it via emulation, but outside of the Neo Geo it only ever got a Japanese Saturn port, and then a very late port to the Wii Virtual Console (like 2011? way after people stopped caring). It being on the Switch now is the first time it's officially been in the US since it originally came out in 1996.

1995-1996 was an interesting time for the genre, because a lot of game magazines (in the US especially) were already starting to dismiss the genre completely, and SNK and Capcom were massively shaking up how their franchises looked and played. From that King of Fighters '96 and X-Men vs. Street Fighter happened which both set the groundwork for how both company's flagship series would play for like a decade. So there's a lot of oddball fighters from 1996 like Waku Waku 7 that are really cool but no on really bothered with at the time.

Since this is the PS4 thread, Fu'un Super Combo is one worth mentioning. It has two games on it, Savage Reign and Kizuna Encounter, the former is very ambitious and has a great presentation but kind of boring to actually play. The second one though is just awesome. A small roster but it's fast, has a rocking soundtrack, cool looking and sounding moves, I love it, but hey it came out in 1996 so no one knew it even existed until the Neo Geo was easy to emulate.

I've been doing an ongoing series of articles about every SNK and/or Neo Geo game that comes out on the PS4 for my blog, when I have the third part out I can start linking them here if people are interested in learning more about SNK and their many awesome games. I fuckin love SNK. :) Anyone that likes retro games at all would probably get a lot out of them.

If you go to USGamer.net there's a great breakdown there of all the ones available for the Switch.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 21, 2017

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Dang, that game looks sweet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was so excited when I got Metal Slug Anthology but the port is such poo poo I would have asked for my money back had I not paid $5 for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

A friend got me Nioh for my birthday and I'm liking it but I am disliking the aesthetic about as much as I thought I would. I like I can reforge armor to look like whatever though so I'm just in a breastplate and Traditional English Robes half the time. :v:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I was so excited when I got Metal Slug Anthology but the port is such poo poo I would have asked for my money back had I not paid $5 for it.

It is truly a shame.

I paid full price for it :suicide:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it's the notoriously laggy PS2 version run through an extra layer of emulation lag.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'm okay with the Anthology just because it has so much on it (is way better than the Wii and PSP versions), but they released Metal Slug 1 and Metal Slug 3 as stand alone games for PS4 also if you want. Metal Slug 3 is based on the standalone PS2/XBox version so it's a great port that also includes the extra modes from the Neo Geo home cartridge/etc. Metal Slug 1 is bare bones but very very close because it's part of the Arcade Archives series from Hamster.

Fun trivia: Metal Slug Anthology was done by Terminal Reality (BloodRayne/etc.). It's not ideal on PS2 but if you played the embarrassment that the Wii version is it's a huge improvement. My main problem with it is it still has the loading times between areas. It's not nearly as laggy as it used to be though.

Oh man, SNK has so many awesome games on the PS4 right now but didn't make this easy if you're picky about emulation quality/quality of life editions. There's three types of SNK games on the PS4:

NEOGEO ONLINE COLLECTION
These were a series of PS2 anthologies collecting various cult games from SNK's past. They're great but have a varying degree of additional features, like some have the awesome rearranged soundtracks and some don't, some offer multiple language options and some don't, etc. A big upside is that ALL of these support legacy PS3 and most USB arcade sticks so if you have one of those these are even more awesome.

ARCADE ARCHIVES
These are published by Hamster and are basically fine tuned emulation. Bare bones but they do have a variety of display modes and offer both the US and Japanese versions of the games if you want to play in Japanese.

OTHER!
These are kinda sorta stand alone PS2 games that SNK has ported to the PS4 and also some more souped up ones. They're great ports, but whether or not that's good or bad depends on your opinion of the game. Garou and Last Blade 2 are the best of these as they put a lot of care into them. All of these support PS3 arcade sticks and USB controllers. So far these include...

Garou: Mark of the Wolves
King of Fighters 2000
Last Blade 2
Metal Slug 3
Samurai Shodown VI

There's also if you want something new, The King of Fighters XIV which came out last year and is loving awesome. Unlike certain other fighting games there's no bullshit, it just straight up has a roster of fifty characters and almost all of them are awesome.

I'm gotta make a spreadsheet of this so people can confidently give SNK money.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 21, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. It's probably still worth having for the spectacle and just using the endless continues the game gives you to see all of the amazing sprites and animations (still the best in any game ever imo) and the fun of blasting stuff. Don't even try to get good at it because the freezing will get you killed constantly.

I was pretty bummed because I didn't realize until I booted it up that it was just a port of the PS2 game. It just seems unacceptable that they would release that for PS4, knowing the issues it had. It's a batch of 20+ year old games running on a PS4 and it performs worse than any other game I have.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

A friend got me Nioh for my birthday and I'm liking it but I am disliking the aesthetic about as much as I thought I would. I like I can reforge armor to look like whatever though so I'm just in a breastplate and Traditional English Robes half the time. :v:

Wait... So you don't just hate anime, you also hate samurai?

That's so sad :(

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how i do find snk games on the psn store? putting snk just give me ps3 games.

the psn store is pretty bad

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah, I'm glad great versions of Metal Slug 1 and 3 exist but it is really is worth getting just for the spectacle, there's so much stuff going on plus it's infinite credits anyway.

I'm just happy so much SNK stuff is available now. Arcade Archives just dropped Fatal Fury 2 yesterday also, though I'd recommend skipping that one since you coul get the Battle Archives or wait until Fatal Fury Special inevitably comes out instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snak posted:

Wait... So you don't just hate anime, you also hate samurai?

That's so sad :(

I'm not really big into that style tbh, though a lot of the wanderer and ronin stuff looks cool.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The psn store search is terrible. You can search for a word in the title of a game, and it will only return like 5 things, not inckuding the game, and then if you search for the full title, it shows up, along with 3 other things names something different. I can only assume their search algorithm was written by an intern fresh out of college who didn't have a clue what they were doing and probably compared strings with a ==.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Snak posted:

The psn store search is terrible. You can search for a word in the title of a game, and it will only return like 5 things, not inckuding the game, and then if you search for the full title, it shows up, along with 3 other things names something different. I can only assume their search algorithm was written by an intern fresh out of college who didn't have a clue what they were doing and probably compared strings with a ==.

I'm still annoyed they took away the PS3 store's ability to search by console.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best is when I search for a game that starts with "The" and it doesn't come up because I left "The" out, but a bunch of other games pop up that start with it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

how i do find snk games on the psn store? putting snk just give me ps3 games.

the psn store is pretty bad

Everything about searching for stuff on the PSN sucks rear end. I've been a brainless zombie for SNK games since I was ten and I didn't even know half this stuff was even on here til like two months ago. Anyway I made this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k1g0zGuTsWhrmGJcXmxjvcPBjtyw6Fdg_HaI1fq2ETE/edit#gid=0

The last column on the right lists whatever platform the game came from. If it says ACA NeoGeo start searching for "ACA N" and you'll get all of those, they're $7.99 each.

Everything else just start punching in the title. :negative:

Here I talk about each of the games individually, this will be updated regularly to cover everything:

https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/03/snk-on-the-playstation-4-part-i/
https://gamingdetritus.com/2017/04/snk-on-the-playstation-4-part-ii/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, despite the ps4 natively supporting one of the best text entry systems on a console, you still have to pick letters off a linear selection. Seriously, what the gently caress is that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Snak posted:

Also, despite the ps4 natively supporting one of the best text entry systems on a console, you still have to pick letters off a linear selection. Seriously, what the gently caress is that.

I remember when they switched to this on the PS3 too it was like.....what?

That with the PS3's incredibly laggy nature oh my god.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'll never get why console makers seem to love that cross bar text entry thing. Like the PS Store used to just have a normal virtual keyboard but they got rid of it for the cross bar which literally doesn't have a single advantage other than it looking fancier and who the gently caress cares what a text entry system looks like?

It's like how the PS4 store changed it's layout to know autoload trailers which I don't even want it to do and when I want to watch the trailers it's somehow harder to get them to play unobstructed. How do they keep loving stuff like this up?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

great post, thank you.

I just got the business launch edition of yakuza. time to kick rear end.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wish more (or any) consoles had stolen the text input system from Beyond Good and Evil.. It's the best I've seen before the PS4's motion control.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I'll never get why console makers seem to love that cross bar text entry thing. Like the PS Store used to just have a normal virtual keyboard but they got rid of it for the cross bar which literally doesn't have a single advantage other than it looking fancier and who the gently caress cares what a text entry system looks like?

It's like how the PS4 store changed it's layout to know autoload trailers which I don't even want it to do and when I want to watch the trailers it's somehow harder to get them to play unobstructed. How do they keep loving stuff like this up?

I will never understand the trailer behavior.

As far as the cross bar text entry it really is crazy. I've played several Wii games where you have to point the Wii Remote at the screen because that's how the game's controls are oriented, and then use the arrow keys to scroll through a bar to enter a name/etc. :wtc:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish the mobile PSN store wasn't terrible because doing anything else text related on PS4 is much better on the phone app.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

I was better about comprehensive string manipulation when I was an intern straight out college. I'd bet it was written by a 50 year old DBA who hasn't written code in 10 years that wasn't a SQL query.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

I was better about comprehensive string manipulation when I was an intern straight out college. I'd bet it was written by a 50 year old DBA who hasn't written code in 10 years that wasn't a SQL query.

Oh man, I'm sure it is an SQL query...