Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dick Trauma posted:

It was on cooldown since I'd been running around checking out the anniversary quests. When I get home after work I'll port him back to Bree and switch to an alt to continue banging my head against the wall with the festival. :cool:

If you're a lowbie you should try to walk/ride out and get to the lone lands. Think of it as a reverse chicken run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you're a lowbie you should try to walk/ride out and get to the lone lands. Think of it as a reverse chicken run.

It's totally doable, especially during the day, though you might get sniped a few times. There's an Evendim quest that sends you to Rivendell when you're level 32 and most mobs are red/purple. Note that there's a teleport-horse at the Rivendell stables (*not* the stable-master, a horse that you can click on that has the door icon when you hover your mouse over it) which sends you to the High Moor and will save you a lot of time.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
I'm new to this game and trying to figure the cheapest option from 32-50. It looks like Evendim and Angmar should cover that range and get me into range of the quad expansion pack. Evendim seems universally endorsed, but apparently Angmar has half fellowship quests. I'm looking to play one of the stronger solo classes so I wouldn't mind trying to solo the small fellowship quests. The newest thread about this on the official forums was 3-4 years old; if anyone has additional tips I'd much appreciate them.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
Don't get Angmar if you want to min/max your :10bux:, get Forochel. Forochel can be started at around level 42-44 so you may have to grind a level or two after Evendim.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Stonewalljack posted:

I'm new to this game and trying to figure the cheapest option from 32-50. It looks like Evendim and Angmar should cover that range and get me into range of the quad expansion pack. Evendim seems universally endorsed, but apparently Angmar has half fellowship quests. I'm looking to play one of the stronger solo classes so I wouldn't mind trying to solo the small fellowship quests. The newest thread about this on the official forums was 3-4 years old; if anyone has additional tips I'd much appreciate them.
You can and should start Moria at 45, not 50, so you're going to do maybe a quarter of the quests in Angmar before it's time to move on. You might even leave before you get any fellowship quests. Forochel is a slightly better value for your money but it'll give you a bullshit fellowship quest in the very first hub. It's just one quest and it is borderline soloable but that makes me hate it more.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I got myself sorted out and ran the gift delivery quest, threw in a quick bar fight and then completed the annoying fireworks location quest and the flying envelope thing. I didn't realize that there was going to be another travel chain that involved going to some of the same places as the gift delivery quest but I knocked that one out too. Ran my fat little dwarf all over the place. I don't think I'm going to bother doing this again, or with any alts. It's too slow and dull. Wish I could do the scavenger hunt ones.

At least the 10 year dragon fireworks is awesome. All my characters are going to carry that one all the time, if only for the BOOM it makes. As soon as I lit it off and it seemed to disappear into the distance I thought "Is this going to be like Gandalf's dragon from the birthday party?" :)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Stonewalljack posted:

Some of us really hate Forochel. It's basically Hoth in Middle Earth. After the initial starting area, it's all just white. You get lost easily(especially at night), and everything is massively spread out. You have to take the same road around a giant, lethal ice bay that occupies the center of the zone. I find it as depressing(if not more) as a lot of people find Angmar to be.

Get Eregion instead. It's full of mountains, apple trees, Elven ruins and it's quests are actually relevant to the passage of the Fellowship.

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

As a finn I have to endorse Forochel due to all the endearingly broken finnish :finland:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Angmar is significantly less depressing after the graphical update sometime last year (?) where they added frills (more plants, etc.) to Eriador. That said I really enjoyed Forochel on my first character; it's just significantly more painful to level an alt in.

Also, while you should definitely go get your legendary weapon at 45, beware of actually starting Moria precisely at 45. The Moria deed/quest progression is fairly strictly level-gated and you run the risk of e.g. getting stuck at level 48 because you've done all the quests of level 53 and below but that hasn't given you enough XP to get to 49 so you can unlock the level 54 quests. Then you have to go out and gain a level or two somewhere else, which can be annoying.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've always found the Lone-Lands to be the most depressing. It's extremely barren. Angmar is more oppressive than depressing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Brave New World posted:

Some of us really hate Forochel. It's basically Hoth in Middle Earth. After the initial starting area, it's all just white. You get lost easily(especially at night), and everything is massively spread out. You have to take the same road around a giant, lethal ice bay that occupies the center of the zone. I find it as depressing(if not more) as a lot of people find Angmar to be.

Get Eregion instead. It's full of mountains, apple trees, Elven ruins and it's quests are actually relevant to the passage of the Fellowship.

I think that's why I like Forochel more - it's something more unique.

I mean, I like Eregion too, don't get me wrong. But rolling hills and trees and poo poo aren't exactly a rare landscape for LOTRO. loving Dunland. ugh.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008
Thanks for the advice; I guess I could also just go VIP for a month for not much more then 2 quest packs and get all the other benefits.

archaicnoise
Feb 25, 2011

Someone tapped me for an invite but I logged out without saving their name. If anyone's still trying to get into the kin, be sure to mail in-game or post your character names here in the thread so we can get you added.

Stonewalljack posted:

I'm looking to play one of the stronger solo classes so I wouldn't mind trying to solo the small fellowship quests.

Every class has strong solo these days, but I'd say warden's top tier.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
What about top tier support-util-heals?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Innerguard posted:

What about top tier support-util-heals?

The best healer in the game is still minstrel, the best healer in the game (who doesn't die and has 50-90,000 morale) is beorning. For the daily featured instance, running old content or soloing I'd take beorning as #1 pick. For healing in a raid they're like #3 or some number much less impressive than 1.

I haven't played a minstrel that high but I think beorning might win for utility, their 'cleanse' removes 3 debuffs at a time every 20? or 30 seconds and the more debuffs you remove (bleeds poisons etc) the more you get a temporary crit bonus on heals for a few seconds.

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Thanks!

sgbyou fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 22, 2017

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Extra stout really has a soft spot for ManBearPigs. I'd advise against starting with any of the Pay To Play classes(Warden, Beorning & Rune Keeper). Start with a default class. You can have fun with anything, but I hear that Burglars are in a really bad place atm.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

The best healer in the game is still minstrel, the best healer in the game (who doesn't die and has 50-90,000 morale) is beorning. For the daily featured instance, running old content or soloing I'd take beorning as #1 pick. For healing in a raid they're like #3 or some number much less impressive than 1.

I haven't played a minstrel that high but I think beorning might win for utility, their 'cleanse' removes 3 debuffs at a time every 20? or 30 seconds and the more debuffs you remove (bleeds poisons etc) the more you get a temporary crit bonus on heals for a few seconds.

How are LMs sat at present?
How much util do the Beornings bring?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Brave New World posted:

Extra stout really has a soft spot for ManBearPigs. I'd advise against starting with any of the Pay To Play classes(Warden, Beorning & Rune Keeper). Start with a default class. You can have fun with anything, but I hear that Burglars are in a really bad place atm.

I am not a good burglar but I'm enjoying stealthing past mobs and pickpocketing everything with pockets.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Lore master is very versatile. You can mix a pet line, a utility line (debuff, cc, healing) and a damage line (mostly aoe).

I leveled mine before the current trait system so it probably changed since then but what I remember is that the early levels are the hardest. You don't have the firepower yet and the utilities are not very useful yet. Once you hit around 30 or so the pet become a powerhouse the game switch to easy mode.

Later on, you can work your specs for max aoe ranged damage that is pretty good. Not as good as a red line rune keeper but still very respectable. Landing a critical Lightning storm that crit for a few hundred thousand morale (total) on a group of mobs is satisfying :) On the hardest end game raid you get a spot as support, which consists of stun immunity, many debuffs, power battery and a little healing.

The have lots of button tho, but eventually, you'll remember what they all do :

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:stonk:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
FWIW, several of those looked repeated, and it also looks like some are just potions, some are just companion pets.

The hotbar overload in LOTRO isn't really too bad. I think most classes only "actively" use a handful of buttons (rest are buffs and OH poo poo buttons).

Nothing like the nightmare that is EQ2 hotbars.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The very top one is the pet bar, and the next highest bar is almost all LM pets & vanity pets. Plus, I'm pretty sure that LM is the "worst" class for bar overload.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Yes only the bottom three bar get regular use and mostly only the bottom bar is used often when soloing.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The pet spoiled me as LM and as a result I never really got what I should do. I imagine it hasn't changed much but the pet really becomes a monster later on.

The scavenger hunt is a lot of fun if a bit tedious. I cannot imagine how you non-hunters/wardens are dealing with it. Also we should try to organize it so lower-leveled players can join along.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Yep. 105 Hunter or nothing.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I like my burglar a lot but they are very bad if you want a hero who can solo a bunch of enemies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Stonewalljack posted:

Get Evendim and Forochel*. If you clear out Evendim you'll be 41-42 and able to start in to Forochel. That'll get you to 45 and at that point go to Eregion and start the Moria intro. Then either go back to Forochel for 1-2 levels or run around Eregion (though you'd have to buy the zone). Start Moria at 46-47, maybe 48, because you'll easily hit 60+ before you're done inside. If you run the extra quests during the Moria intro (iffy, since most mobs will be red so they'll be rough if if you fight several at once even with good gear) you should be 46 by the time you have access to Moria.

* Alternately, get Eregion because it's a superior zone in every way. You might need to be 42-43 to start the quests there though, which means getting 1-2 levels elsewhere after Evendim (run some skirmishes and maybe 3/6 man content if you manage to find a group/carry). Eregion can easily take you to 47-48 though and you'll be right there when it's time to hit Moria at 45.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So since I havent played since before Beornings were added, what actual util/group healing do they bring?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
As a red-line Champion, should I be dual-wielding, using a two-hander, or whichever?

One-handed weapons have a listed lower DPS (on the weapon, I mean) but I don't know how much that's effectively improved by the off-hand, so I'm not sure which is the better option assuming the one-hander and two-hander are of equal quality.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

I like my burglar a lot but they are very bad if you want a hero who can solo a bunch of enemies.

Burglar may not have any aoe skills but I've never felt weak when dealing with a large crowd of stuff. You have so many skills at your disposal to help deal with the situation that you can come up with a plan of attack to deal with most stuff even including small fellowship quests later on. I did the small fellowship quest in the mead hall in Marton (an elite dude with 3 or 4? linked normal mobs and like 3 more normals in the same room) completely solo on level in 2 pulls and found it was the first thing in a long time that felt even remotely challenging to me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Something for newer players to consider: If you run the GA instances (the Lone Lands stuff) the tokens from those let you get some teal weapons (level 35ish I believe) that should still be better than anything else for 5-10 levels aside from other teal crafted weapons. IIRC they were good enough to use up to level 45 when I leveled a champion and that should still be true if low level gear hasn't had its stats revamped in the last year or two. A high level goon can blitz the instances for you in minutes too. Crafted purple gear is fine too but those weapons are nice. Plus the GA 3/6 man stuff can be a fun change of pace if you're able to get an on-level group together. IIRC even with a high level friend you'll still get XP from clearing the areas and their challenges so if nothing else it could be some extra XP to help close the gap between Evendim and Forochel/Eregion.

Prism posted:

As a red-line Champion, should I be dual-wielding, using a two-hander, or whichever?

One-handed weapons have a listed lower DPS (on the weapon, I mean) but I don't know how much that's effectively improved by the off-hand, so I'm not sure which is the better option assuming the one-hander and two-hander are of equal quality.

As long as your offhand is up to date as well dual wielding should be fine. I think I used a 2hander when I was running around in an AOE build but AOE was able to kill single targets faster than even red line at one point so YMMV.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Prism posted:

Two handers for red. Your options in red are pure single target damage with a bit of aoe from bladewall,or a hybrid build I do where I get champion's challenge (destroy single target bosses) but still put 1 trait point and 1 LI legacy into raging blade, the best AOE melee ability in the game. Makes the famous SHING SHING sound. This is so you can still do good AOE when adds are involved without having to work on a second weapon or switch any traits in between fights.

Yellow line dual-wield is technically the best or at least most popular champion build in game now, but the 90/10 hybrid is my personal favorite. Never giving up two handed axes.

The one hander and two hander won't be of equal quality at level 100 because the two handers get 3 stat bonuses upon crafting. The issue over time is that the offhanders keep getting better as the game levels up, but the two hander stats haven't been adjusted accordingly.

If you're still leveling up, Fluffy is right and just do whatever you like for fun.

Innerguard posted:

So since I havent played since before Beornings were added, what actual util/group healing do they bring?

Cleanse, rez (trait for in-combat rez), a fear, a damage reduction on target, a stun, a DoT heal you can spam, a bigger man form heal, a big bear form heal, and a huge loving AOE bear form heal.

Brave New World posted:

Admittedly true, but of the three: RKs die the most, wardens are annoying to learn and beorning is the easiest and most OP at least from 1-90. Burgs got a big buff this year but are still bad only because the fellowship maneuver system has not been rehauled in...drat, six years? seven? And seemingly won't be anytime soon. So they were buffed the way you'd buff a champion, not the way you'd make them fully relevant or even mandatory in raiding again. Essentially a burglar is now a sneaky stabber with a few debuffs, not a class based around being like a Baggins mandatory for the group's success.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 23, 2017

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

extra stout posted:

Two handers for red. Your options in red are pure single target damage with a bit of aoe from bladewall,or a hybrid build I do where I get champion's challenge (destroy single target bosses) but still put 1 trait point and 1 LI legacy into raging blade, the best AOE melee ability in the game. Makes the famous SHING SHING sound. This is so you can still do good AOE when adds are involved without having to work on a second weapon or switch any traits in between fights.

Yellow line dual-wield is technically the best or at least most popular champion build in game now, but the 90/10 hybrid is my personal favorite. Never giving up two handed axes.

The one hander and two hander won't be of equal quality at level 100 because the two handers get 3 stat bonuses upon crafting. The issue over time is that the offhanders keep getting better as the game levels up, but the two hander stats haven't been adjusted accordingly.

If you're still leveling up, Fluffy is right and just do whatever you like for fun.

I'm an elf if it matters (1H sword bonus) but this is about what I expected, and I've got a two-hander right now anyway - plus I'm level 77 so it doesn't really matter yet, I just wanted to know. Thanks! I'm going to start saving for Raging Blade because that sounds fun. Not sure which is Champion's Challenge. (Champion's Duel? I do have that one. It is indeed good.)

Edit: 2H sword though. Because it clips less with my armour. don't judge my priorities

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 23, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
At first I was like "Man gently caress these scavenger hunts" but then I remembered LOTRO wiki was a thing that exists, and that I'm a hunter.

Is this the gist of the event:

Each week that dude will give you a pet if you do one of the scavenger hunts
Do scavenger hunts, races, and a couple of other sparse quests to get tokens
Tokens can buy the normal stuff, mounts / cosmetics / whatever (no pets though).

Am I missing anything?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

xZAOx posted:

At first I was like "Man gently caress these scavenger hunts" but then I remembered LOTRO wiki was a thing that exists, and that I'm a hunter.

Tokens can buy the normal stuff, mounts / cosmetics / whatever (no pets though).

Am I missing anything?

You can get a fair number of tokens from the fireworks show in Bree when it's night (2 every half hour - it actually takes about two minutes, it just has a 30m timer); I don't know if you're counting that in the sparse quests but it's super easy if you happen to be around when it's running.

During the day you can do a quest every few hours instead for another two tokens, but it takes longer to do and you have to compete with other players for the activation spots.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Am I missing anything?

No that's pretty much it.

I expect hunters and wardens to do most of these while those other slowpokes give up after week 3 or so.

Actually week 2 isn't too bad. It's pretty much the Shire and a bunch of Reflection pools. But week 1 is super discouraging.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Similar to the linked posted recently, these page have all the needed info in a condensed format, helped me out a bit.
https://departmentofstrategery.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/anniversary-scavenger-hunt-guide-year-one/
https://departmentofstrategery.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/anniversary-scavenger-hunt-guide-year-two/

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
10th anniversary gift box :dance:

The dragon fireworks are kinda nice, but I actually expected something nice like a cosmetic item or mount instead, considering this is my tenth box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
TEN YEAR FRAAAAAAME

Pubbies will flee in the wake of your portrait framed with an additional pip less pips, but a bluuuue filling!