Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Isn't the Reserved List basically admitting the secondary market exists and the cards have monetary value, unlike everything else they try to do to dissociate the game with gambling?

I don't think you understand what gambling means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

YggdrasilTM posted:

Eh, who cares.
Vintage is dumb format and Legacy is more a cluster of overpowered cards surviving in a self perpetuating bubble only because no real player cares enough to break it.
The reseverd list is dumb, but I'm not exactly disappointed.

Have you ever played vintage? I don't mean in paper because I assume you don't have the price of a car to plop down on a deck, but I've played like a dozen matches of vintage on xmage and most of the games have actually been really fun. Vintage blue mirrors are pretty hard and generally don't come down to "who slammed the turn 1 jace."

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Buying packs for sweet valuable cards is gambling

Playing in card tournaments for money is gambling

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

It's an association WoTC has been avoiding, despite the packs containing random cards and players shuffling decks of cards to randomize them before playing for large amounts of money.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The idea is that when the contents of one booster can be worth $100 in the extreme case and effectively worthless at the other extreme, it's sort of like buying a lottery ticket rather than just purchasing some components for a game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

Have you ever played vintage? I don't mean in paper because I assume you don't have the price of a car to plop down on a deck, but I've played like a dozen matches of vintage on xmage and most of the games have actually been really fun. Vintage blue mirrors are pretty hard and generally don't come down to "who slammed the turn 1 jace."

Workshop mirrors are actualy really fun and can be pretty intricate, especially post-board. Or they were until they printed Walking Ballista. I don't think I've ever lost one aside from that one night I helped LSV test for the VSL, and my build was probably 20% against his so I don't feel bad about that.

Even Shops vs Blue is pretty deep when both sides get to play Magic. Without getting into a long tangent for a format that like 2 people here play, that's why I was pretty sure Shops was going to be terrible when Chalice was restricted: stopping them with Chalice was the main way you could beat big blue decks. But it turns out Gush completely pushes them out of the format! And Spheres are good against Gush.

What I'm saying is Restrict Gush and unrestrict Lodestone Golem.

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Isn't the Reserved List basically admitting the secondary market exists and the cards have monetary value, unlike everything else they try to do to dissociate the game with gambling?

This is only tangentially related and I've talked about it in the IRC before but I don't fully understand why Valve got into legal trouble over CS:GO skins but Magic has existed since 1993 and markets lottery tickets with monetary value to kids and the packaging itself literally says 13+.

I don't see what the difference between an AWP skin thats worth $x and a Tarmogoyf thats worth $x.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Out of curiosity, what would be the most significant gains from changing earliest legal set of modern from Mirrodin to Masques (like it was back when people were first hypothesizing about an "overextended" format)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the most significant gains from changing earliest legal set of modern from Mirrodin to Masques (like it was back when people were first hypothesizing about an "overextended" format)

Rishadan Port, Entomb, Unmask are all standout cards to me

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Presumably you also get 7th edition, so counterspell.

Dark ritual would need banned too.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

Squee might have a home. Rebels probably wouldn't make the cut but I could be wrong. Invasion block has tons of great cards though like Absorb and Undermine, Fire/Ice.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Pernicious Deed would be a big deal, as would vindicate

E: could that terrible RUG draw three for three find a home

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Daze, submerge, storm spells, ichorid/other dredge enablers, all come to mind as well.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

BRAINSTORM

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think one of the big winners might be Dust Bowl, actually

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Smashing Link posted:

Squee might have a home. Rebels probably wouldn't make the cut but I could be wrong. Invasion block has tons of great cards though like Absorb and Undermine, Fire/Ice.

Squee was reprinted in 10th. Gush would probably be an issue.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ChewyLSB posted:

This is only tangentially related and I've talked about it in the IRC before but I don't fully understand why Valve got into legal trouble over CS:GO skins but Magic has existed since 1993 and markets lottery tickets with monetary value to kids and the packaging itself literally says 13+.

I don't see what the difference between an AWP skin thats worth $x and a Tarmogoyf thats worth $x.

I mean, someone is trying to sue valve, but it got dismissed federally, and now they're trying at a state level, but there's nothing stopping someone from trying the same against Hasbro other then the likelihood of failure. Valve C&D'ed the skin gambling sites after the scuttlebutt last year, but they pretty much brought that upon themselves.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Siivola posted:

Wow, gently caress, I can't read. I was almost entirely full of poo poo there. Thanks for catching that.

Reprinting only one deck from each year seems like a weird call. Were these ones particularly good or something?

No, other than Heavenly Inferno, which I think was the 2nd-best (or at least 2nd most expensive on ebay right now, behind Mirror Mastery) C11 deck, they're basically the hot-garbage decks of their years. I wouldn't be surprised if they literally repacked their overstock of those decks into the new boxes for this release.

The ones you wanted from C13 were Mind Seize and Eternal Bargain, in C14 it was Forged in Stone and Built from Scratch. I have no idea what was good in C15.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Smashing Link posted:

I always beat the Invasion drum when this conversation comes up because 1. Invasion rules and 2. Wizards has said it was the first block where they figured out how to design a three-set block as one cohesive thing, which strikes me as them figuring out "modern" design as opposed to the more random design they had leading up to that.

If you started there you'd have to immediately ban any Storm card that can kill, but beyond that I don't think anything would be so egregious as to not let it have a chance in the new format. Maybe Entomb would have to go too, I dunno. And if you included 7ED in the deal nothing from that set immediately jumps out at me, though someone would figure out how to break Opposition really quickly.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

St0rmD posted:

No, other than Heavenly Inferno, which I think was the 2nd-best (or at least 2nd most expensive on ebay right now, behind Mirror Mastery) C11 deck, they're basically the hot-garbage decks of their years. I wouldn't be surprised if they literally repacked their overstock of those decks into the new boxes for this release.

The ones you wanted from C13 were Mind Seize and Eternal Bargain, in C14 it was Forged in Stone and Built from Scratch. I have no idea what was good in C15.
Thanks. If the previous anthologies are any indicator, they're going to be entirely new prints with the M15 borders so this is kinda weird.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

I love playing with underpowered boring poo poo

Dude.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

ChewyLSB posted:

The biggest difference would likely be that the most accessible secondary market is also valves and they skim dollars off the top of that.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Iconic masters should just include every card ever printed at the same distribution rate.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Iconic masters should just include every card ever printed at the same distribution rate.

I was thinking about two rares slots, so your nostalgia Shivan Dragon doesn't take up the entire value of the pack.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Rinkles posted:

I was thinking about two rares slots, so your nostalgia Shivan Dragon doesn't take up the entire value of the pack.

Nah, I want to drink the tears of people who open 15 commons next to the 12 year old who opens half the power nine.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
They are not going to reprint Shivan Dragon ... it has been reprinted too many times and doesn't evoke much nostalgia even for those of us who have been playing since '94.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I literally got one for free when I went to the Open House event a week ago. It's in the Welcome Deck. It's Standard-legal.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Smashing Link posted:

They are not going to reprint Shivan Dragon ... it has been reprinted too many times and doesn't evoke much nostalgia even for those of us who have been playing since '94.

The point is "new art" for what they believe to be iconic cards. Its mostly masterbation for all the old boys club card designers that have been there for the entire run. Shivan dragon is just as likely as anything else.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Basic Island in the rare slot? I'm loving this idea.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think Shivan Dragon at uncommon is straight up a good idea in a nostalgia set

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Smashing Link posted:

How does their description of the set not scream Shivan Dragon above all else?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Speaking of dragons

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Neat. Archenemy or Hour?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Smashing Link posted:

Man I don't know a lot about the new set, but I'd bet good money on Shivan Dragon being in the set. The fact that everyone immediately assumed the card would be in a set called "Iconic Masters" should be enough by itself to convince you to rethink your position.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I love that his scarf is apparently a permanent part of the character model now.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Siivola posted:

Neat. Archenemy or Hour?

Hour.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Smashing Link posted:

Yes it does.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I support any idea that results in more Quentin Hoover artwork.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I support any idea that results in more Quentin Hoover artwork.

I have some bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I have some bad news

I suspect (I hope) he meant "more printings of existing QH artwork"