Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Xenomrph posted:

Someone please talk me into/out of buying an RGB-modded PC Engine from Monitor Burn. I understand the games for it can get bonkers expensive so I'd be better off getting a Turbo Everdrive if I got the console.

Turbo overdrive rules. Do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Xenomrph posted:

Someone please talk me into/out of buying an RGB-modded PC Engine from Monitor Burn.

It's the little engine that could. While not quite as robust, capability-wise, as SFC or MD, it was perfect as a turbo-charged NES. The devs (Hudson in particular) made it do some pretty amazing things. Lots of shmups that are actually playable with lower skill levels, and has, by far, the best collection of cute-em-ups if you like that sort of thing. Bonk, who doesn't love Bonk? Great support from Namco, Konami, Taito, and others. It has the best waveform audio of any home console, every game sounds like a VRC6. It is tiny and takes up no space. Dunno if you can do this with a RGB-modded unit, but if you bolt the CD player on, it looks super rad and you can play even more games.

Xenomrph posted:

I understand the games for it can get bonkers expensive so I'd be better off getting a Turbo Everdrive if I got the console.

Absolutely. It just doesn't make sense to spend a bunch of money on a few games when you can spend a little bit of money and have all the games. This goes for any cartridge-based console, really. Well HuCards aren't really cartridges but you know what I mean.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Someone please talk me into/out of buying an RGB-modded PC Engine from Monitor Burn. I understand the games for it can get bonkers expensive so I'd be better off getting a Turbo Everdrive if I got the console.

I'm trying to figure out why this is even a question. Buy it.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

Responsible response:

Look through the PC Engine Bible website's games database thoroughly and see what titles might interest you. Note how many are HuCard format and how many are CD games. Look at gameplay videos. If there are at least 10 HuCard titles that pique your interest, then you have ground for making a case to yourself for a PC Engine at least.

CD games are a deeper rabbit hole of :retrogames: since you'd be looking at getting a Duo console of some sort upfront, or a CD add-on unit down the line. I'd put the CD game interest pique much higher, like 25. If you have great Japanese skills, then you might be able to find that many. Otherwise, the CD library can be kind of limited for English-friendly games in my experience.

http://www.pcengine.co.uk

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

univbee posted:

Wowzers, Nihon Falcom tweeted out "hey, we found these and are going to throw them out."

https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/852781197021163526

They apparently didn't realize what they had was actually pretty rare.

Fortunately, enough people tweeted them that they are instead being donated.

https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/855301988711518210

What is this exactly, just unreleased/NIB copies of games that are long out of print or something more interesting?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Bigass Moth posted:

What is this exactly, just unreleased/NIB copies of games that are long out of print or something more interesting?

They were used for warranty replacements.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

Well, let's see what that mystery Sega Genesis game is. It actually wouldn't play no mater what, so I had to open it up and check the code.

It's Alien 3, according to a database. And that means Random Stranger is the winner! Really, no one else guessed Alien 3. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you some prizes.

What the gently caress? I made that guess specifically so that I wouldn't win! The universe has a perverse sense of humor.

I actually have a bit of free time this weekend for the first time in a long while. I think I might try playing a Famicom Dragon Quest game. Now for some reason I don't have DQ1, but should I go for 2, 3, or 4?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

What the gently caress? I made that guess specifically so that I wouldn't win! The universe has a perverse sense of humor.

I actually have a bit of free time this weekend for the first time in a long while. I think I might try playing a Famicom Dragon Quest game. Now for some reason I don't have DQ1, but should I go for 2, 3, or 4?

I vote 2, since it is most different from the US version, and uses passwords instead of a battery save. :getin:

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Bigass Moth posted:

A lot of times old JP computer games on magnetic media like that don't work anymore and they degrade easily with use, so these are supposedly uncirculated copies that have a better chance of working.

The rarity of the titles varies & the majority have gotten remakes or ports to newer systems.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Once you burn yourself out just stop. The NES versions are dire. The GB ones very good and I'd recommend them today.

I think the Famicom version of the first game didn't have directional sprites and you had to go through the menu to do every single action instead of context sensitive.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Play all four, in order.

A word of warning, DQ2 was a vast improvement over the first in all aspects, but it still has flaws. The most notable of which is the unreasonably difficult endgame. There are some tricks you can do to reduce this this somewhat, but I don't know if they work in the JP original. If you don't finish it, that is perfectly acceptable.

Does it have to be JP FC? You're better off playing the US editions, as they have various improvements. Another warning, this time for all the DQ games - they're grindy as gently caress. I wouldn't even bother if that kind of gameplay urks you.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Does it have to be JP FC? You're better off playing the US editions, as they have various improvements.

It's just that I happen to have copies of DQ2-4 for the Famicom, but not the US ones.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Alright then, I would start with 4. 3 is great, but should not be played until you finish 1 for reasons, trust me.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

al-azad posted:

Once you burn yourself out just stop. The NES versions are dire. The GB ones very good and I'd recommend them today.

I think the Famicom version of the first game didn't have directional sprites and you had to go through the menu to do every single action instead of context sensitive.

Oh man, I never realized that Dragon Quest didn't have directional sprites. They added them to Dragon Warrior but kept "access a menu to do everything" :doh:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yeah DQ1 or DW1 doesn't have context-sensitive anything. Opening chests, using stairs, talking, etc. all use their own separate menu commands. Further, you had to specify which direction you wanted to talk to in the JP original.

2 (at least the US version) made stairs automatic, rolled "take" into "search", and opening doors was done with using the key as an item. This lasted up through 4, and 5 was the first to add "talk" and door-opening to a single button that did all 4 actions (I think it was X, L, or R).

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 21, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh man, I never realized that Dragon Quest didn't have directional sprites. They added them to Dragon Warrior but kept "access a menu to do everything" :doh:

The Famicom version is quite strange when you consider Zelda and Hydlide came out the same year with multidirectional sprites. Given how conservative Dragon Quest's design is, and that Ultima was an influence on its look and feel, I wouldn't be surprised if Horii was adamant about the aesthetics right down to choosing a direction to talk which was a staple until Ultima 6.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Responsible response:

Look through the PC Engine Bible website's games database thoroughly and see what titles might interest you. Note how many are HuCard format and how many are CD games. Look at gameplay videos. If there are at least 10 HuCard titles that pique your interest, then you have ground for making a case to yourself for a PC Engine at least.

CD games are a deeper rabbit hole of :retrogames: since you'd be looking at getting a Duo console of some sort upfront, or a CD add-on unit down the line. I'd put the CD game interest pique much higher, like 25. If you have great Japanese skills, then you might be able to find that many. Otherwise, the CD library can be kind of limited for English-friendly games in my experience.

http://www.pcengine.co.uk

I gotta disagree re CD, I think it's a must and you're really limiting yourself by only getting a normal PCE. CDs can be burned so you have the entire library there and some of the very best games on the platform are CD based. Get a Duo-R or RX now and save spending more in the future on a CD exapnsion (the expansions are unreliable and have a few things that fail pretty reliably while R/RXs are pretty solid. Avoid the normal black duo tho, it's also unreliable)

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

I gotta disagree re CD, I think it's a must and you're really limiting yourself by only getting a normal PCE. CDs can be burned so you have the entire library there and some of the very best games on the platform are CD based. Get a Duo-R or RX now and save spending more in the future on a CD exapnsion (the expansions are unreliable and have a few things that fail pretty reliably while R/RXs are pretty solid. Avoid the normal black duo tho, it's also unreliable)

True enough. I figured that since Xenomrph seemed to be on the fence about getting just a PC Engine I'd drop some concrete buying criteria for them to chew over.

If money and the prospect of buyer's remorse is no concern, they should absolutely go for a Duo-R and call it good. Otherwise, they can play it safe and go HuCard only, but there will be painful repercussions for doing so if they want to go down the CD path at a later date. I guess in the end, it's a question of if you want to get the financial pain out of the way first, or leave it in the hazy future, perhaps never to come (or, conversely, to come down double time).

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I like the dq 1-2 for the super famicom. It streamlines all the actions and improves the graphics just enough that it's still familiar but looks nice. There are ips patches out there for English.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The duo is worth it for rondo of blood alone. Such a good game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Random Stranger posted:

Dragon Quest 2, except for the MSX2.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just don't get a Doujindance Duo-R/RX

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Where is a good place to get a pc-engine duo anyway?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Where is a good place to get a pc-engine duo anyway?

Monitor Burn sources his regular systems from Buyee.jp, which is basically an international buyer (international relative to Japan) bidding and shipping proxy service for Yahoo! Japan auctions and some other Japanese retailers. You can try Ebay, but generally expect to wait for shipping from Japan anyway, paying a higher price for shipping, and paying a higher price in general for one.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

GutBomb posted:

It's worth it for Rondo's soundtrack alone. Holy poo poo.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

GutBomb posted:

It's basically the reason I got myself a PCE Duo. PC Engine stuff is beginning to be in the Saturn range regarding prices so I also got a Turbo Everdrive. Plus the Duo can play CD-R's pretty well. Not to mention it's one sexy piece of a hardware combined with the Hori Fighting commander.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just don't get a Doujindance Duo-R/RX

Also this. Ask Monitor Burn about a Duo-(R)(X). It might be somewhat more expensive but at least you're paying for premium quality and the device will hopefully last you a good while.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thanks for the suggestions, I just messaged Monitor Burn about options for a Duo-R. :cheers:

On the topic of retro consoles playing CD-Rs, what are my options when it comes to Sega Dreamcast/Saturn games?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xenomrph posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, I just messaged Monitor Burn about options for a Duo-R. :cheers:

On the topic of retro consoles playing CD-Rs, what are my options when it comes to Sega Dreamcast/Saturn games?

Dreamcast can do burnt games no problem, as long as it's not the last revision, which is marked with a (2) or something? Saturn is a much more tricky situation.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Saturn just needs a modchip to play CD-R's. (don't ask me what kind, a friend of mine modded my Saturn)

Or, I guess, a Pseudo Saturn solution, but I'm not well versed on that plus you have to give up the slot for Action Replay.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

If you have a Model 1 Saturn (oval buttons), the swap trick is beyond trivial and doesn't require any additional hardware. But probably just set up the Pseudo Saturn, the extra RAM in the Action Replay lets you play all the best import games.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What's wrong with doujindance's systems?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

al-azad posted:

The Famicom version is quite strange when you consider Zelda and Hydlide came out the same year with multidirectional sprites. Given how conservative Dragon Quest's design is, and that Ultima was an influence on its look and feel, I wouldn't be surprised if Horii was adamant about the aesthetics right down to choosing a direction to talk which was a staple until Ultima 6.

I think part of it is also because of the release history of Dragon Quest/Zelda/Hydlide and what platforms they were originally designed on vs. when we got them all in the US on the NES. Hydlide gets a bad rap in the US because of that too because by the time it came out in the US it looked like a shameless half-assed Zelda ripoff when the original game was very influential and predated Legend of Zelda's FDS release by a year. So depending on what country one is in, even if they were keeping up with and getting the games when they were pretty "new" you'd see some weird steps back as various publishers would decide at different points that it was a good idea to localize their game for which ever other countries.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Spoderman posted:

If you have a Model 1 Saturn (oval buttons), the swap trick is beyond trivial and doesn't require any additional hardware. But probably just set up the Pseudo Saturn, the extra RAM in the Action Replay lets you play all the best import games.

I've got an Action Replay, but I'm not entirely sure my Saturn's cartridge slot is reading it properly. :saddowns:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Heran Bago posted:

What's wrong with doujindance's systems?

Someone opened one up and apparently the mod work was a poo poo show. Everyone got perhaps irrationally upset for crimes against PC engine humanity.

Dunno if just that one was bad or all of them.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
They are all terrible with "bubble wrapped" boards, long rear end wires and globs and globs of epoxy.

https://twitter.com/Voultar_Modshop/status/814649106580774916

https://twitter.com/Voultar_Modshop/status/835991779472199680

I stupidly bought one a few years ago without knowing how bad it was and now the colors aren't correct until after a minute or so of being on. I really need that thing stripped out and replaced with a modern board that isn't covered in a fire hazard.

Thankfully i did not get the region mod version.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Idk what the compatibility is with systems other than tg-16 and pce, but this modless rgb thingy works really well. You just have to follow the guy on Twitter to see when it goes back in stock.
http://db-electronics.ca/product/dbgrafx-booster-ttp/

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I have a Doujin Dance system that has worked well for ~4-5 years now with no issues. I've seen pictures of his work since I bought it though, so I'm afraid to open it up and I definitely wouldn't pay his asking price again.

I kind of understand why the systems look like that because my mod work is covered in electrical tape, but I'm not trying to sell my stuff for multiple hundreds of dollars.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The amazing thing is if I go back in time 5 years and told everyone not to buy doujindance I would get booted out like Brainy Smurf. This thread is peaks and valleys just like the hobby.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

The amazing thing is if I go back in time 5 years and told everyone not to buy doujindance I would get booted out like Brainy Smurf. This thread is peaks and valleys just like the hobby.

Five years ago doujindance would have been the only option with any kind of regular availability and reputation in the community. Thanks to Monitor Burn being in the game AND doing a better mod job, doujindance is way less attractive as a source for RGB Duos today. Things change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Today I was reminded that LG actually made a portable CD-i, the model 370, and now I want one.

It includes the digital video expansion you need for some games and thus plays all of the games out there. Even has a rechargeable battery pack to use it away from wall power for a few hours, though you'd surely need to replace the cells inside by now. Also uses all the normal controllers that were available.

Only problem is these things go for like $400 at least...

• Locked thread