Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The deep fat fryer scene was the making of Spooks. It was only the second episode and Lisa Faulkner wasn't expected redshirt casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The movie wasn't much of anything but the scene at the end where Harry informs the villain that he poisoned her food before he came to see her, that there is no cure, that she will die painfully and horribly in two hours and that she can either spend the time she has left in a hospital bed or playing with her niece, then gets up and leaves her on the verge of breaking down in tears is completely ice cold - that's the one "classic Spooks" or at least "classic Harry" scene in it, I think.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
When Harry kills the home secretary by poisoning him was cool and good

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Spooks went through so many Home Secretaries it's a wonder anyone ever took the job. Not as bad as 24 was with presidents, at least.

America in 24 must be the least stable country in the western world. I think they went through eight presidents in 10 years or something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

eating only apples posted:

Probably unpopular opinion: the Robot Wars final was real good and Carbide deserved to win, though I wish lovely nerds Aftershock had managed some points.

I really enjoyed it. I like that it's not in the interest of robots to absolutely gently caress up the person they just defeated - because they need that person to absolutely gently caress up someone they might be against in the future. It's a good idea!
Although with Carbide being made of titanium with a custom built rotor I dunno what can be done against it in the future other than a really strong metal box robot.

The rules say you can't make your rotor go faster than the RPM the manufacturer sets. But when you're the manufacturer that seems to go out of the window!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

An upper limit on rotation kinetic energy is probably the answer. Different designs can trade RPMs and mass, and the organisers can balance spinners vs other designs.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Carbide guys entered Battlebots last year with a similar design and got eliminated in the first round by a robot that destroyed their wheels from above. It is beatable, hopefully the rest of the competition can step up.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The Carbide guys entered Battlebots last year with a similar design and got eliminated in the first round by a robot that destroyed their wheels from above.

...how? Razor-like pincer?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It had a horizontal spinner suspended below an extended arm that could be raised and lowered. It was pretty neat.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Battlebots have a heavier weight limit and you are also allowed flamethrowers and drones. It's on Spike tonight at 8pm, it's down to the semis now so you get to see the real murder bots. I will miss my double weekly dose of robot fighting :(

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Pablo Bluth posted:

An upper limit on rotation kinetic energy is probably the answer. Different designs can trade RPMs and mass, and the organisers can balance spinners vs other designs.
Apparently, the ruleset for the next series will allow entanglement devices, so I guess we'll see what happens with that.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Coaaab posted:

Apparently, the ruleset for the next series will allow entanglement devices, so I guess we'll see what happens with that.

I read them last night and it specifically says they can't have entaglement devices!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Taear posted:

I read them last night and it specifically says they can't have entaglement devices!
I was looking through reddit and found these rules, dunno if there was an update anywhere else.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked that goonbot in Battlebots that had the present that exploded into a net.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Why are all you nerds talking about misfiring robots and not the return of the BBC's best police improv cluedo comedy Murder in Successvile?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I had no idea it was back but I'm just watching it now.

"Come hither and blow upon my penis".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Oh neat, so they didn't finish it last year. Guess I'll tune in this weekend.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just something about the fact that they have the "contestant" openly gun down celebrities at the end is hilarious to me.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
New Bizarre E.R is well shite, isn't it? All the padding and repetition of The Gift Shop Sketch and you don't even get a proper gross injury at the end of it any more. Some guy with a sprained ankle, a whiny girl with a slightly tender piercing and a dude with a minor scrape from a fish bite? gently caress right off, I wanna see some blood & guts.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Just something about the fact that they have the "contestant" openly gun down celebrities at the end is hilarious to me.

I do like that they've only been right what, twice in that shows history too? chances are they hosed up and missed an obvious clue or tell in one of the sketches. To be fair though, DI Sleet is hilariously distracting as well as being perhaps one of the worst fictional British detectives in entertainment history.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I do like that they've only been right what, twice in that shows history too? chances are they hosed up and missed an obvious clue or tell in one of the sketches. To be fair though, DI Sleet is hilariously distracting as well as being perhaps one of the worst fictional British detectives in entertainment history.

It's set up very unfairly though. They present the contestant with an absurd impressionist ranting at them loads, and expect them to notice details hidden in the environment and minor props, or throw-away lines that all the ancilliary characters have.

It's such a dick move and I love it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I do hope they get a t-shirt or some sort of bonus prize if they actually manage to solve the crime.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm watching HIGNFY and there's something wrong with Patrick Stewart's voice. He sounds like an old man. :(

e: he might just be drunk

e2: so drunk he can't read

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 23, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to watch HIGFY religiously. I've gone off it the past few years. I don't think Merton and Hislop are as invested in it these days. Granted, it's been, what, 25 years?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Forgot League of Gentlemen season one had a laugh track. There's one extremely annoying audience member who sounds like a honking goose when he laughs.

It's great to watch it again after all these years though. Forgot how genuinely gruesome and disturbing it could be.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Psychoville is really quite good as well. It's more coherent than American Horror Story but then that show has to be dragged out to a dozen hour long episodes which is usually a struggle.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SEX BURRITO posted:

Forgot League of Gentlemen season one had a laugh track. There's one extremely annoying audience member who sounds like a honking goose when he laughs.
Our celebrity guest audience tonight: Jimmy Carr!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SEX BURRITO posted:

It's great to watch it again after all these years though. Forgot how genuinely gruesome and disturbing it could be.

speaking of, it's coming back for an anniversary special.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm watching HIGNFY and there's something wrong with Patrick Stewart's voice. He sounds like an old man. :(
His voice was cracking or something and I was getting worried.

The last time I really enjoyed an episode of HIGNFY was six or seven years ago when Alastair Campbell and Ross Noble were on together, and Noble spent the entire thing just harassing the poo poo out of Campbell.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

The last time I really enjoyed an episode of HIGNFY was six or seven years ago when Alastair Campbell and Ross Noble were on together, and Noble spent the entire thing just harassing the poo poo out of Campbell.

I'm going to see it being recorded on Thursday, will report back if the staleness is due to the jokes or cutting all the controversial stuff out.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Here's the HIGNFY pilot. Or at least, a bit of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD0DOmrVfZY

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There was something off about Patrick Stewart. He hadn't had a unreported mini stroke or bells palsy or something?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

thehustler posted:

Here's the HIGNFY pilot. Or at least, a bit of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD0DOmrVfZY

So it was never funny, got it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Good to know that Paul Merton had a dead-eyed 'why am I here' stare from the very first show.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

So it was never funny, got it.

Angus Deayton getting ripped to shreds is the highpoint of the BBC though. They really should have just closed shop after that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8ij02Df2w

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Angus Deayton getting ripped to shreds is the highpoint of the BBC though. They really should have just closed shop after that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L8ij02Df2w

Merton revealing the T-shirt properly reduced me to tears laughing when it happened.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ofaloaf posted:

I loved the Brian Blessed one

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

That was an excellent return for Taskmaster.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh poo poo it was on last night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Angrymog posted:

There was something off about Patrick Stewart. He hadn't had a unreported mini stroke or bells palsy or something?

To be honest I just assumed he had a cold.