Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It feels almost exactly like the Note 7 did too *bows head in remembrance*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Spermanent Record posted:

The S8 is really really nice and I'm glad i got one.

I'm liking mine so far other that I cannot get my BevRAGE app to work at all. Waiting on a response from their support email.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I was debating what to get in the recommend thread and ended up going with the s8+ and really like it so far. Personally I like where the finger print scanner is, also. Maybe it'll blow up in my pocket in 6 months and you obviously can't really evaluate a phone in a couple days, but I'm happy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I think as usual with the S8 vs the Pixel, people will be really liking their S8 and be bewildered when people with the Pixel poo poo on it.

Of course there's always going to be the fanboy-ism, but... The S8 and many other phones are legit nice phones. They'll do cool things, not kill your family (until they burn down your house), look nice, etc.

It's only until you have the ability to compare them to other devices that are even nicer that they come up short.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It's New and it's shiny so it's going to feel good for anyone who dropped the coin on it.

And there are plenty of positive points for it.

The question does come down to how it will be in 6 months+.

Will it still exist? Will it get updates?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

cage-free egghead posted:

Going to be getting rid of my Silver Pixel 128gb if anyone is in the market.

PMed you.

I need a new phone, but would prefer not to spend the massive amount required for the Pixel XL from Google. Was considering a Nexus 6P from Amazon, but the sellers all seem a little too good to be true...all but 1 is brand new, and teven that older one I barely trust. Good ratings, established history, but the price is only $250 for a supposedly "new" Nexus 6P.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's been covered extensively in this thread, go back and read it if you want unnecessary details. As repeatedly said, it's the entire cohesive experience. The Pixel is consistently smooth, fast, well-designed, efficient, and not bloated. Samsung phones are not, and the S8 is no exception.

e: I mean gently caress, just read the Ars review:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/04/samsung-galaxy-s8-review-shiny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/#h7

The Bad
-The gimmicks. The iris scanner, curved screen, and heart rate sensor all seem designed to give talking points to your local Verizon salesperson, rather than provide a good user experience for customers.
-The glass back is fragile and a fingerprint magnet.
-Touchwiz is still a janky lag-fest. Despite the faster processor, the Google Pixel is a smoother, faster-feeling device.
-No support for an always-on "OK Google" hotword for the Google Assistant.
-Samsung blocks users from remapping the Bixby hardware key.
-No adoptable storage for the MicroSD card.
The Ugly
-Samsung takes five-to-seven months to deliver a major OS update. After the initial launch period, expect to be perpetually one-to-two versions behind the latest Android release.

Adding to this (based on my S7 Edge experience):

Samsung's UI choices are bad. And it's the kind of bad that is hard to pin down until you have seen it done right.

For example, they have quick toggles for several settings that do not require quick toggles. Normal users to not need to be turning on and off their Wifi, or Bluetooth, and for certain their GPS and NFC. Having quick toggles for them encourages users to toggle them. I don't care about your special use case for doing it, there are other methods to accomplish it that don't poo poo up the UI for 99% of all users.

The only way I can find any setting in the settings menu is using the search box because Samsung has their settings laid out in a completely counter intuitive manner that often has redundant and confusing submenus.

The Emoji design is a crime against taste.

Samsung is determined to have their own thing any place that they can, even when there was a perfectly good (often superior) Google implementation of the same thing. Their Galaxy app store, Bixby, email, and others. This is probably because they want the option to ditch Android and switch to Tizen and don't want to be held ransom by depending on Google's apps to function. They are as bad about duplicate apps as they used to be, but there are still some.

I honestly don't understand how they can't get any better response out of devices with specs as high as these phones have. It's not awful, but it is pretty poor compared to the Pixel and most high end Motorola phones I had used in the past.

I think someone in this thread described it like this:

When you use a Samsung phone, it feels like you are using a Samsung phone. It's like everything there is there to remind you that it is Samsung and not Android.
When you use a Pixel, it doesn't feel like you are using anything at all because the phone is so smooth and non intrusive, you really only see the apps that you are using.

That's a little bit of an exaggeration, but it is right that I can name 100 things I hated about the Samsung, but I have a hard time explaining why I like the Pixel: Because I don't ever really think about it. I just use it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Man, the Ars review is really brutal in places.

quote:

Even in the lowest resolution possible—1480×720—the Galaxy S8 still drops a ton of frames when scrolling complicated apps like the Play Store. The highly-optimized Google Pixel—at its full 2560×1440 resolution—is easily getting frames in on time. And even if things do slow down, there's a sizable amount of render time still.

quote:

Some might get excited by the Snapdragon 835 processor and the Galaxy S8's new position as the benchmark champion, but thanks to Samsung's heavy and seemingly poorly-optimized software, those speed increases don't translate to a snappy UI experience. Scrolling in heavier apps, like the Play Store, is slow, stuttery, and unable to hit a smooth 60FPS. In general, scrolling on the S8 has a consistent jerky stutter to it, almost like it is locked to scrolling every three pixels instead of every one pixel. Not everyone will notice the effect, but it will bother performance sticklers.

quote:

There are lots of features—the curved display, the iris scanner, the heart rate monitor, Bixby, and Dex—that make great demos but don't meaningfully change what it's like to use the phone day-to-day. I can just imagine the Verizon salesperson now: "Look at all the stuff this phone does that those other phones can't do! It can scan your heart rate and your eyeballs, and it has a futuristic curved display! You can hook it up to a monitor and it turns into a full computer!"

Once the customer spends a few weeks with the product, though, they'll find none of those features actually useful. 

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Samsung's UI choices are bad. And it's the kind of bad that is hard to pin down until you have seen it done right.

For example, they have quick toggles for several settings that do not require quick toggles. Normal users to not need to be turning on and off their Wifi, or Bluetooth, and for certain their GPS and NFC. Having quick toggles for them encourages users to toggle them. I don't care about your special use case for doing it, there are other methods to accomplish it that don't poo poo up the UI for 99% of all users.

While I overall agree with your complaints about Samsung, the quick toggle for wifi and Bluetooth is the same way on my stock Pixel. I agree it's a stupid design choice, and I'm far more likely to want to choose a network or Bluetooth device to connect to than to turn the radios off entirely. Pressing and holding every time I come into my office because my speakers don't automatically reconnect is mildly annoying.

That said, if someone knows how to change that on the Pixel, I'd love to hear it. Press + hold to turn off/on and tap to open settings seems much more logical.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

EdEddnEddy posted:

The question does come down to how it will be in 6 months+.

Will it still exist? Will it get updates?

Will Bixby work?

LMAO

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Fair enough and not really into getting into my phone vs your phone or whatever, I'll just say personally speaking, probably 80-90% of my interaction with a smart phone is reading/typing. Reading a website, an article, emails, texts, google hangouts, twitter, whatever. For that, screen quality, size, responsiveness are basically my top priorities by a lot. I probably open google play once a month at most to go download a specific app. Do I care if it hits a smooth fps? Not really. After initially getting all my preferences setup, it will probably be pretty rare I ever go in the setting menu to find things. People have difference preferences and priorities and use their phones for different stuff, which is fine.

My only real complaint at the moment is the Bixby stuff, which isn't a huge deal to me but should be, well, working. And not being able to re-map the key is dumb and annoying. The software support and delays are a concern long term, but that is what it is.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Re: toggles on the pixel, I actually do find them useful, and expanding the tray changes them from a toggle to a quick menu to select devices and networks.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Pixel superiority is real

Buying a Samsung phone on launch after their last fiasco is just lol. Probably won't explode, but they never promised it won't implode in your pocket either

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Duggler posted:

Probably won't explode, but they never promised it won't implode in your pocket either

Hell, I'd be impressed if they could manage to get it to do that.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Re: toggles on the pixel, I actually do find them useful, and expanding the tray changes them from a toggle to a quick menu to select devices and networks.

I did not know that! Thanks! That is exactly the sort of simple solution I figured might have been out there but I was just missing.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

incogneato posted:

While I overall agree with your complaints about Samsung, the quick toggle for wifi and Bluetooth is the same way on my stock Pixel. I agree it's a stupid design choice, and I'm far more likely to want to choose a network or Bluetooth device to connect to than to turn the radios off entirely. Pressing and holding every time I come into my office because my speakers don't automatically reconnect is mildly annoying.

That said, if someone knows how to change that on the Pixel, I'd love to hear it. Press + hold to turn off/on and tap to open settings seems much more logical.

Fair enough, and I agree that it is a valid criticism on the Pixel for those shortcuts too. Other have already pointed out that you can get to the settings by pulling down a second time. You can also get to that second pulldown menu faster by pulling down with 2 fingers instead of 1.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Jerk McJerkface posted:

These amazon basics are the only earbuds you will ever need to buy:

Link: http://a.co/56wgXXw

Sounds good but that cable looks like the same kind of matte materials from the Galaxy ones that sticks to skin/clothing. I like the glossy kind of thin cable material that you might find on a cheap headphone from <2010. My problem is that the Galaxy type sheathing stuck to itself so well that it frequently bound up around things instead of just sliding. Is this binding ever a problem with the Basics ones?

Helter Skelter posted:

I'm a fan of these Panasonics. The Wirecutter also has some other options if you don't mind spending a little more.

Same thing, is this ever an issue?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

incogneato posted:

I did not know that! Thanks! That is exactly the sort of simple solution I figured might have been out there but I was just missing.

It's handy

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

The XKCD Larper posted:

Sounds good but that cable looks like the same kind of matte materials from the Galaxy ones that sticks to skin/clothing. I like the glossy kind of thin cable material that you might find on a cheap headphone from <2010. My problem is that the Galaxy type sheathing stuck to itself so well that it frequently bound up around things instead of just sliding. Is this binding ever a problem with the Basics ones?

I have 2 pairs of the Amazon basics headphones and after a couple years now the matte finish still hasn't done the whole "get sticky and attract a bunch of dust and garbage" but I keep them on my desk or in my bag. If you go to more extreme conditions than that, I can't really vouch.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

G-Hawk posted:

Fair enough and not really into getting into my phone vs your phone or whatever, I'll just say personally speaking, probably 80-90% of my interaction with a smart phone is reading/typing. Reading a website, an article, emails, texts, google hangouts, twitter, whatever. For that, screen quality, size, responsiveness are basically my top priorities by a lot.

Isn't struggling to scroll smoothly through a list a pretty bad sign for general usability no matter what your use case is.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
For gently caress's sake Samsung, why did you make the home button a square? I haven't used softkeys in over a year until now and I still keep almost hitting home when I want recents.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

datajosh posted:

For gently caress's sake Samsung, why did you make the home button a square? I haven't used softkeys in over a year until now and I still keep almost hitting home when I want recents.

Handy tip: the home button is the one in the middle

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Jacobus Spades posted:

Handy tip: the home button is the one in the middle
I know, I just see the square and my mind goes "oh, that's the one I want" for a second

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

datajosh posted:

.....how? The home button is now and always has been in the middle

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Sorry 'bout yer brain. :(

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

datajosh posted:

I know, I just see the square and my mind goes "oh, that's the one I want" for a second

You...you look down at it?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Also doesn't the S8 allow you to change both their look (to go back to classic Android) and location (so you can put back on the left and recent apps on the right?)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Also doesn't the S8 allow you to change both their look (to go back to classic Android) and location (so you can put back on the left and recent apps on the right?)

Look no, order yes

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Yeah, I don't know what's wrong with my brain. I mean, I do keep willingly buying Samsung phones after all.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
My hot take: it is a good phone

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

cravius posted:

My hot take: it is a good phone

A good phone crippled by awful software and terrible UI decisions.

Also it may or may not catch fire.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

I think you guys are way too uptight. You could learn a thing or two from Samsung users, like how to relax while waiting for the home screen to reload, or how to appreciate the little things once you actually find them in the settings.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Also how to extinguish lithium fires and/or treat third degree burns

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

Syrinxx posted:

Also how to extinguish lithium fires and/or treat third degree burns

Sounds like a blast to me!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Jacobus Spades posted:

I think you guys are way too uptight. You could learn a thing or two from Samsung users, like how to relax while waiting for the home screen to reload, or how to appreciate the little things once you actually find them in the settings.
:perfect:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jacobus Spades posted:

Sounds like a blast to me!

:golfclap:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HTC is on a branding tear!

First there was the HTC U Ultra
Then there was the HTC U Play

For the squeezable phone they dropped the boring Ocean codename and opted for the sleek, rolls off the tongue, HTC U 11!

I'm glad they aligned all their names as it's very clear to me which phone is chasing which market segment!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
What's a good case for the Nexus 3T?

I bought the carbon fiber cover from OnePlus but I don't trust it to protect my phone lol.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Spigen Neo Hybrid seems to be ok. I've dropped the phone a few times (my work clothes have terrible pockets) and no problems so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

What's a good case for the Nexus 3T?

I bought the carbon fiber cover from OnePlus but I don't trust it to protect my phone lol.

I was that taken aback meme guy irl when I read this