Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

A few additional things I really like about the new season

-The silhouettes for the robot roll call means that they can preview a little bit of the film afterwards
-The moving parts in the hallway sequence is really clever, with little washer/dryers folding out, bar seats, etc.
-The band and interstitials with Patton doing a v/o does make it feel more like a late night tv show
-There are some obscure rear end references (I feel Elliot Kalan channels this well) which I did miss quite a bit.
-The movie choices have been extremely good so far, definitely capture the spirit of the original run's blend of films.

e: "Time for go to bed" references will ALWAYS make me laugh

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I described him as "Imagine there's a Jedi, but they never call him that, or even bother to hand-wave his abilities by mentioning 'the Force' or even just 'magic', then he dies from a nick on the arm."
Also they don't mention he's a Jedi until about halfway through the movie, and at the end of the movie he just knows everything that's going on and what everything is.

I didn't miss anything on that, right? Akton doesn't get magic powers until Thor tries to kill him (again) and Akton's eyes flash?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

It's possible some explanation was cut from the episode. I'm assuming they still edit these movies down for MST3K, because the episodes are only 90 minutes, including skits, commercial breaks, and opening/closing credits.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also they don't mention he's a Jedi until about halfway through the movie, and at the end of the movie he just knows everything that's going on and what everything is.

I didn't miss anything on that, right? Akton doesn't get magic powers until Thor tries to kill him (again) and Akton's eyes flash?

He did a brief laser-hand-map-thing earlier but I assumed it was just a sci-fi map, til suddenly he was all lasers all the time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

rydiafan posted:

It's possible some explanation was cut from the episode. I'm assuming they still edit these movies down for MST3K, because the episodes are only 90 minutes, including skits, commercial breaks, and opening/closing credits.

They even have an explanation for it now, because Joel's character talks about how some of the movie spills sometimes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kojiro posted:

He did a brief laser-hand-map-thing earlier but I assumed it was just a sci-fi map, til suddenly he was all lasers all the time.

Oh, yeah. I thought that was a hologram or something, too.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Rollersnake posted:

I'm definitely seeing an overreliance on using movie sign to abruptly end host segments. That was absolutely a thing in the earlier seasons, but it never seemed like the norm. It kinda feels like they can't figure out how to properly end a skit now.

I didn't see it as a lazy way to end a skit, it's more like this just happens when the mads get tired of talking to them. How else would they end a skit? Everyone says goodbye and hangs up and they walk casually into the theater? They have to get into the theater somehow, and that's just how they're called in. They even take advantage of it to continue cracking jokes, like "I still think I'm German!"

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't see it as a lazy way to end a skit, it's more like this just happens when the mads get tired of talking to them. How else would they end a skit? Everyone says goodbye and hangs up and they walk casually into the theater? They have to get into the theater somehow, and that's just how they're called in. They even take advantage of it to continue cracking jokes, like "I still think I'm German!"

Yeah, it feels like Movie Sign is another reminder that they don't have control over seeing the movies and they're being forced back into the theater.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

This season is the first time (that I remember anyway) where we explicitly see one of the Mads trigger a movie sign. For some reason I never thought about the 'why' of movie sign before.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I've often wondered about the "how" of movie sign -- do they remove the oxygen in the main bay? Fire? What's the rush?

I also wonder how he eats and breathes.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Tayter Swift posted:

I've often wondered about the "how" of movie sign -- do they remove the oxygen in the main bay? Fire? What's the rush?

I also wonder how he eats and breathes.

There are a couple of episodes that show they remove oxygen from the rest of the ship (they did this to Mike I think?), and the Mads can shock people who aren't in the theater (pretty sure this was a Joel episode).

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Though, conversely, why do they leave the theater? I'd assume for feedback, test purposes but it's never really stated that I know of.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

The MST3K movie has them cutting off the air.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Ape of Naples posted:

Though, conversely, why do they leave the theater? I'd assume for feedback, test purposes but it's never really stated that I know of.

There's usually no explanation for it, but it's sort of implied it's something they have to do, because often either Servo (or Joel in the older episodes) will say "We gotta go, guys."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Joel explicitly says he gets a "shock to the shammies"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
There's an episode where Mike leaves the theater and Crow says "But there's no oxygen out there", and Mike says "I don't care".

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I do like some of those first Mike episodes where he goes to get popcorn and soda and Crow is like "you can't do that". Also justifying why Tom gets carried in because there's a vent and it messes up his hover skirt. There was a bit of a learning curve.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bruteman posted:

There are a couple of episodes that show they remove oxygen from the rest of the ship (they did this to Mike I think?), and the Mads can shock people who aren't in the theater (pretty sure this was a Joel episode).

Yeah, the mads force compliance and shutting off oxygen is their most common play. In the movie, Dr. F chases then back in by shooting lasers out of an interocitor. Jonah also mentions Kinga zaps him with cattle prods if he doesn't do the show open after they Hoover him up.

So basically going along with it is a lot less painful than not.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 21, 2017

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's an episode where Mike leaves the theater and Crow says "But there's no oxygen out there", and Mike says "I don't care".
I think it was Invasion of the Neptune Men.

"I'm just gonna...leave the theater for a while."
"Uh, Mike, there's no oxygen out there."
"Yeah...that's okay."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think it was Invasion of the Neptune Men.

"I'm just gonna...leave the theater for a while."
"Uh, Mike, there's no oxygen out there."
"Yeah...that's okay."

The defeated way he drops back into his seat on coming back in cracked me up.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I forgot how funny the American dubbing in Neptune Men is.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Ok, here's a legitimate Starcrash question.

Why is Christopher Plummer transparent at the end?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ok, here's a legitimate Starcrash question.

Why is Christopher Plummer transparent at the end?

I can't say for sure but I'd bet it's because there was a problem with something that was shot and Plummer was already unavailable so he was just composited into a reshoot that way instead. I believe he worked on the film for a grand total of a few days tops and then enjoyed his vacation in Rome.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mace Bacon posted:

There's your answer.

Well THAT would have had things make a lot more sense. Turn a dude into an alien and I can much more easily accept defrosting microwave hands and immunity to death rays and such. Not sarcastic there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What does Gypsy keep taking up and down at the beginning/middle of the movies? A lunch box?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I forgot how funny the American dubbing in Neptune Men is.

Prince of Space is still my favorite for that, especially Japanese Don Knotts.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Pollyanna posted:

What does Gypsy keep taking up and down at the beginning/middle of the movies? A lunch box?

According to Joel: She's delivering "the payload"

That's all we've been told :shrug:

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I love the jokes about Alex the incredibly Underwhelming Chimpanzee.

"Oh man, the orange juice is so cloudy and gross, like there's medicine in it!!"

"Sure he can carry the glasses, but can he hand them off!?"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Good Lord Almighty, I want a t-shirt with the logo for the Moon 14 dinosaur barbeque joint.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

I can't say for sure but I'd bet it's because there was a problem with something that was shot and Plummer was already unavailable so he was just composited into a reshoot that way instead. I believe he worked on the film for a grand total of a few days tops and then enjoyed his vacation in Rome.

According to the IMDB Tribune, he was only there for one day.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rollersnake posted:

Also Steve Franken (Danny in Time Travelers, Henry in Avalanche) is giving me a severe case of "he looks so familiar, but IMDB confirms I haven't seen him in anything else, so who is he reminding me of" syndrome.

he reminds me of gene wilder

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

-There are some obscure rear end references (I feel Elliot Kalan channels this well) which I did miss quite a bit.

Yeah the CW McAll reference sold me.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

the movie is delivered via some weird liquid technology, and in the opening credits jonah is shot into the theater from a tube approximately where gypsy drops down and places the payload. i'm assuming it's a bucket to collect the leaked liquid bad movie. a nice absurd reason to have gypsy come into the theater for the occasional riff since she's otherwise ostensibly running the sol's systems and is too busy keeping everyone alive to riff

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Having only seen the "greatest hits" collection they put up a few weeks ago I'm not nearly as well versed in the sausage factory aspects of the show as most of you, but I love that the countdown chambers have all the stuff that's mentioned in the "if you're wondering how he eats and breathes" line. One chamber is like a workshop for making skit props, another's the bathroom, the kitchen, etc. I thought that was cute.

And Mark Hamill as the space carny was wonderful.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I went back and watched The Movie and it's a lot better than I remembered. I like Mike's hamster wheel thingy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Am I the only person that tends to zone the gently caress out during the more talk-heavy movies? I dunno why, but MST3K seems to work better alongside cheesy action than cheesy drama.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Another repeat offender in this series: Keith Barron, who has been in every single bloody thing on British TV for about fifty years, is both the journo at the start of At The Earth's Core and the "This sounds like a question for Brother Weed!" sailor in The Land That Time Forgot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Am I the only person that tends to zone the gently caress out during the more talk-heavy movies? I dunno why, but MST3K seems to work better alongside cheesy action than cheesy drama.

As a big fan of stuff like Kitten With A Whip, I disagree strongly with this. :colbert:

Also, having gone through the whole season, I finally decided to get back to the Rifftrax stuff I bought a week before S11 went live, and am watching Mary Jo & Bridget's take on Angels' Revenge, and I'm not sure why, but the tampon joke was really unexpected. Not in a bad way, but despite being an obvious gag, it just caught me off-guard. Probably because Mike & co wouldn't have dared.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I went back and watched The Movie and it's a lot better than I remembered. I like Mike's hamster wheel thingy.

The movie is amazingly solid, and one of my go-to introductions for people who've never seen the show before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

rydiafan posted:

The movie is amazingly solid, and one of my go-to introductions for people who've never seen the show before.

The "THE END" title card makes me laugh every time.