Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have a friend who did that as well. His reasoning was he was supporting Bernie because he wanted a change and Trump, good or bad, was still at least a vote for change.

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I have a friend who did that as well. His reasoning was he was supporting Bernie because he wanted a change and Trump, good or bad, was still at least a vote for change.

This is a logic I will never understand. At least the dumb shithead in my old office had the decency to write in Bernie instead of just giving a vote to Trump. Still stupid, but it wasn't a direct benefit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I came very close to not voting out of bitterness and spite, so I can kinda understand those "anything but the status quo" people. But come on, sometimes the change your asking for is the equivalent of driving right off a cliff, and you gotta be able to recognize that and pull back from it.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

SpacePig posted:

This is a logic I will never understand. At least the dumb shithead in my old office had the decency to write in Bernie instead of just giving a vote to Trump. Still stupid, but it wasn't a direct benefit.

It's the logic of a five year old. They don't fully understand the consequences of their actions nor that their current situation is not a baseline.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
There are times that I think Berniebros are more annoying than Trumpers

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Clitch posted:

That's all any cable news segment dealing with science is.

One minute of a dedicated, highly educated leader in his field trying to summarize a complex issue for an audience of dullards.

"But some say,"

Equal time given to red-faced, "common sense", everyman angrily struggling to form complete sentences.

"The issue remains controversial."

The death of expertise is killing this country.

Everyone thinks their opinion is just as valid and important as people who have years of education and experience and say "well that's just my opinion" when challenged with actual facts.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SpacePig posted:

"Well, I think my house needs renovating, and THIS contractor will only make minor changes. THIS guy, on the other hand, will burn the house down and piss and poo poo in the ashes! SOLD!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SquirrelFace posted:

The death of expertise is killing this country.

Everyone thinks their opinion is just as valid and important as people who have years of education and experience and say "well that's just my opinion" when challenged with actual facts.

The people who are in STEM fields that I know all are really sensitive about attempts to politicize any aspect of their work, because that's what is at the root of these problems. People of science who have years of education are made to look like they have some sort of political agenda and it makes it absolutely impossible to get important information out to the public in a way that they will actually absorb.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Alter Ego posted:

"Well, I think my house needs renovating, and THIS contractor will only make minor changes. THIS guy, on the other hand, will burn the house down and piss and poo poo in the ashes! SOLD!"

I read on the internet that Contractor A might've done some shady things while they were building some other houses, so I feel like I should go with Contractor B, who has no experience as a contractor but has told me that he's going to improve my house's value by basically shipping everyone else out of the neighborhood.

Personal Lucubrant
Oct 18, 2016

Just thinking about what to do with all the money I don't have.
Most people don't have much foresight. I think a lot of the "protest" votes for Trump were done with the idea of "things have to get worse before they can get better" because nothing is ever done proactively, it's all reactive. Nearly everything in human history is reactive. Hardly anyone knows just how bad a thing is until it happens. Like trying to convince someone how vital it is to back up important data. Until they actually have a disaster and lose a lot of data they might not buy into it.

Even something as extreme as nuclear war. The physicists who developed it understood how destructive it could be, but the world at large couldn't understand until they witnessed Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The thought process is rarely "that sounds really bad, we need to kill it before it grows." Most of the time it's "that was really bad, let's prevent this from happening again."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nothing like a well rounded explanation of an established scientific fact being responded to by "well that's just a theory" and the most smug face possible.

It's not only the death of expertise, but straight up anti intellectualism. Doctor and professor researcher are now (in the minds of complete idiots, ie half of everyone and all of your relatives over 40) on par with used car salesmen and rambling homeless guy on the subway.

Aaaaaand, grandpa now has his finger on the button. We're hosed.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Christ, if we do end up seeing huge democrat takeovers in 2018/2020 we're going to have to listen to all those spiteful Berniebros smugly talk about how they alone had the foresight to know that we had to elect Trump to get all those wins in the future (never mind all the people hurt and damage done in those preceding years and the fact that this isn't actually why they voted Trump).

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Low Desert Punk posted:

There are times i don't laugh at this post.

not many, because it's real loving dumb but y'know.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Low Desert Punk posted:

I read some data a while back about domestic violence and rape cases not being higher than normal with athletes when compared to the rest of the US population, but it sure feels the opposite sometimes. I guess it's just how high-profile they are.

When Joe Schmo the between-jobs construction worker rapes his wife, nobody cares enough to tell the news unless he does something mind-bendingly awful like decapitate her while doing it.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

chitoryu12 posted:

When Joe Schmo the between-jobs construction worker rapes his wife, nobody cares enough to tell the news unless he does something mind-bendingly awful like decapitate her while doing it.

Marital rape was made illegal back in the 80s, but even today there's still chucklefucks going "they must have done something to deserve it" regarding domestic abuse reports.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aerdan posted:

Marital rape was made illegal back in the 80s, but even today there's still chucklefucks going "they must have done something to deserve it" regarding domestic abuse reports.

You have to read between the lines a little bit now, often they won't come right out and say "they must have done something to deserve it". It'll be "only the two of them were actually there, I don't know what happened", or "there's two sides to every story", that kind of thing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Basebf555 posted:

I came very close to not voting out of bitterness and spite, so I can kinda understand those "anything but the status quo" people. But come on, sometimes the change your asking for is the equivalent of driving right off a cliff, and you gotta be able to recognize that and pull back from it.

it's called accelerationism.

e: also schadenfreude I guess, because lol those regret trump websites.

Also,

Basebf555 posted:

The people who are in STEM fields that I know all are really sensitive about attempts to politicize any aspect of their work, because that's what is at the root of these problems. People of science who have years of education are made to look like they have some sort of political agenda and it makes it absolutely impossible to get important information out to the public in a way that they will actually absorb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MqTOEospfo

this is good short vid on this subject imo.

Truga has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Apr 21, 2017

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Speaking of people who thought Trump would help them: Guess who the Department of Justice is now gunning for?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Regalingualius posted:

Speaking of people who thought Trump would help them: Guess who the Department of Justice is now gunning for?

Couldn't happen to a better human being.

Seriously, gently caress Assange and gently caress what he did to WikiLeaks.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Regalingualius posted:

Aerdan posted:

:same:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Aerdan posted:

also, the rape

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Pearnicious posted:

Most people don't have much foresight. I think a lot of the "protest" votes for Trump were done with the idea of "things have to get worse before they can get better" because nothing is ever done proactively, it's all reactive. Nearly everything in human history is reactive. Hardly anyone knows just how bad a thing is until it happens. Like trying to convince someone how vital it is to back up important data. Until they actually have a disaster and lose a lot of data they might not buy into it.

If you want to see a great movie about this line of thinking in action, watch The Big Short. A small group of people gather a mountain of evidence that the housing market will collapse, but no one they tell is willing to believe their investments might be worthless. After failing to convince people to prevent this issue, they decide to bet against the market and watch it fall.

Pearnicious posted:

The thought process is rarely "that sounds really bad, we need to kill it before it grows." Most of the time it's "that was really bad, let's prevent this from happening again."

Except this part doesn't happen at the end of the movie. Everything is getting set back up the same as it was before the crash, simply with renamed terminology.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

There are times i don't laugh at this post.

not many, because it's real loving dumb but y'know.

4/20 was yesterday bro

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7fb55LJ.gifv

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

iospace posted:

Alright, so a while back, a woman was accusing him of raping her. Like most high-profile rape cases in the US, she ended up not testifying (or dropping the accusations, I forget which) so nothing of legal consequence happened to him.

Naturally, a lot of people hate him because of that, including chants of "SHE SAID NO" at a game in Philly and constantly getting booed when he has the puck.

He also punched a cab driver and took his money back from him, which has nothing to do with the sexual assault but does speak to his character. I waited on him once when he was a rookie, but was not punched or dirty-touched. He ordered a chocolate milkshake because he was too young to drink :v:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-08-18/sports/0908171083_1_james-kane-cabdriver-arrest

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bogan King posted:

Found this parked on a car while wandering around earlier today.

Wow. This is like the sad and bitter side of schadenfreude. I'll happily laugh at someone getting kicked in the balls, but there's nothing funny about some stupid useless busybody reporting your car to the cops for having the wrong kind of license plate, a literally victimless crime. What a fuckoid.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
My favorite Patrick Kane Getting Booed thing is probably from last year's All Star game. Kane was in by default. There was another player, John Scott, who wouldn't traditionally be in the All Star game, and was in the game after a large troll fan vote, even after the NHL basically tried to do everything they could to make him ineligible to play. They were announced one after the other. Kane was summarily booed by the entire crowd, who then immediately gave the biggest cheer of the game to John Scott. Scott has the poo poo-eatingest grin the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCWxz_jzwM

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Low Desert Punk posted:

They're definitely more annoying, what with all the petulant crying and fist shaking and some undeserved aura of smugness. They're probably right that Bernie would have won because the Hillary supporters would have voted for him as opposed to taking their ball and sulking at home.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
I have been reading through this entire thread for the past few weeks and I think I can sum up some of the lessons I have learned:

1) In-home stripper poles are never installed correctly and will come loose as soon as you swing on them. This also applies to over-the-door pull up bars.

2) Many people incorrectly assume they have the hand/arm/upper body strength to hold onto a rope as they swing into a river.

3) Trying to ride anything (cardboard box, mattress, sibling, etc.) down stairs is a bad idea. It will not work like you think it will.

4) I have yet to see anyone successfully open a champagne bottle by slashing at the neck with a knife. Fortunately I also haven't seen anyone seriously hurt themselves doing it which is good because it involves both sharp edges and broken glass.

5) Good use of selfie-stick: Taking a picture of yourself or a group standing in front of something. Bad Use of selfie-stick: Taking a video of yourself experiencing something. Why do you want a video of what you looked like while you were sledding down a hill/riding a zipline/whatever? Turn the camera around and take the video of what you are EXPERIENCING. All you are doing is making your own 'reaction' video and who wants to see that poo poo?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

King of Foolians posted:

4) I have yet to see anyone successfully open a champagne bottle by slashing at the neck with a knife. Fortunately I also haven't seen anyone seriously hurt themselves doing it which is good because it involves both sharp edges and broken glass.

Now your life is complete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCp9-tEHa8U

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

King of Foolians posted:

All you are doing is making your own 'reaction' video and who wants to see that poo poo?

Search Youtube for "reaction video" and weep at the number of views.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Azhais posted:

They're definitely more annoying, what with all the petulant crying and fist shaking and some undeserved aura of smugness. They're probably right that Bernie would have won because the Hillary supporters would have voted for him as opposed to taking their ball and sulking at home.

Get a load of this guy

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

I was wondering which of the two scenarios this would cover. I was a little bit disappointed, but I like Alton Brown, so I'm glad he's not hurt.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Bernie supporters that went for Trump deserve a smart smack in the head daily. They just had a Frankenstein-like "fire BAD" view of the word "establishment" without ever taking a moment to try any understand what it is, and why it is.

It's like if Bernie said, "We need to stop going to that restaurant because they don't cook the food well, and they mistreat the wait staff. Instead of ordering different food ,lets go to this new restaurant supposedly doesn't have those problems". But he doesn't get his wish, so the driver stops the car, starts it on fire, and then squats in the ditch to eat road kill.

or it's like any of the millions of analogies people have made about it already, sorry

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Apr 21, 2017

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

guys, GUYS

i have evidence that bernie bros did 9/11:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

Bernie supporters that went for Trump deserve a smart smack in the head daily. They just had a Frankenstein-like "fire BAD" view of the word "establishment" without ever taking a moment to try any understand what it is, and why it is.

It's like if Bernie said, "We need to stop going to that restaurant because they don't cook the food well, and they mistreat the wait staff. Instead of ordering different food ,lets go to this new restaurant supposedly doesn't have those problems". But he doesn't get his wish, so the driver stops the car, starts it on fire, and then squats in the ditch to eat road kill.

or it's like any of the millions of analogies people have made about it already, sorry

Bernie supporters that went for Trump did not actually give a poo poo about what either had to say. Also the number of people that fit that criteria was probably in the single digits. They didn't affect the election.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Glazier posted:

gently caress 'em. They went in eyes wide open and they're only mad now because they didn't get what they wanted or it's starting to personally affect them. Trying to grow a coalition on people like that is like trying to build a foundation of sand, because as soon as the immediate complaint is rectified they'll scurry right on back to the GOP.

Pretty much this in a nutshell - plus a good number of Trump voters were from the boomer generation. Same generation that hosed the rest of us over during the last 40 years by being backwards retards and buying into Reagan's economic horseshit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Is that a pointing fork?
:allears:

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

The best part is the kangaroo's front paws as it thinks it can save it, only to realize it's mostly legs and tail.

Rah! posted:

guys, GUYS

i have evidence that bernie bros did 9/11:

Is it freaking out because of the fall, the sensation of the railing, or its attempts to use its tail as a propeller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

iospace posted:

Alright, so a while back, a woman was accusing him of raping her. Like most high-profile rape cases in the US, she ended up not testifying (or dropping the accusations, I forget which) so nothing of legal consequence happened to him.

Naturally, a lot of people hate him because of that, including chants of "SHE SAID NO" at a game in Philly and constantly getting booed when he has the puck.

He also once smacked up a cab driver for not having 20 cents change after a cab ride.

An all around piece of poo poo.