Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Isn't Uber losing a ton of money though? Last I checked it was one of these companies that were held aloft by speculators who figure that once it has finished driving every regular taxicab out of business and gotten a situation of monopoly, then they'll be able to hike the prices back up and recoup on their investment.

Amazon is kind like that, too, though they are making money by renting their data centers (AWS). Dunno if it's enough to offset the money they lose on their core activity as online retailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yes, Uber loses billions. 2015 - lost 2.2 billion dollars. 2016 - $2.8 billion before interest, tax, depreciation, and employee stock options.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

Isn't Uber losing a ton of money though? Last I checked it was one of these companies that were held aloft by speculators who figure that once it has finished driving every regular taxicab out of business and gotten a situation of monopoly, then they'll be able to hike the prices back up and recoup on their investment.
Uber is literally using VC money to shuffle people around, in an industry with fuckall barrier to entry, while still paying their drivers peanuts. When the money runs out what happens? The actual driving isn't the only thing drivers do, and they'll never, ever get lvl4 autopilots online before they hemorrhage their last VC dollar.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

Uber is literally using VC money to shuffle people around, in an industry with fuckall barrier to entry, while still paying their drivers peanuts. When the money runs out what happens? The actual driving isn't the only thing drivers do, and they'll never, ever get lvl4 autopilots online before they hemorrhage their last VC dollar.

10s of thousands of drivers with leased vehicles but no client base will suddenly be out of a job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Uber's business model is literally bleed cash to establish a dominant position in ride sharing until L4 is here and it looks like that's going to be tough in the long run.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I'm kind of doubtful about that. Their basic business model is sound. Even if uber goes under someone will fill that space. Probably they can just raise prices and still capture a huge portion of the market, thanks to the convenience of the phone app and the fact that they're not cartelized and can evade regulated pricing.

Maybe the investors are dumb for pouring money in, or it could be that they're right and in the long term uber will be wildly profitable.

edit: then again they have $3bn from the saudis or something which is never a good sign :v:

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 21, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Uber drivers are terrorists.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Uglier in person

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I hope you get surprise tackled by a bunch of security guards for that... Like talking poo poo about the president or something. Live post that!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cowboy elvis posted:

Uglier in person

Ladies and gentlemen: The wrongest person on the internet.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

connies are not pretty airplanes

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
All airplanes are beautiful.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Murgos posted:

how small could they make their reusable booster with a 2 to 4 man crew compartment and give it an effective range of say 2500 miles?

You know who else travels 2500 miles in a sub-orbital trajectory? That's right! HitlAtoms!

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Connies would be pretty if they changed that front gear.

..and that nose...

....and the rest of the airplane...

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

cowboy elvis posted:

Uglier in person

What a mean thing to say about Global Flyer.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The future is suborbital rocket shuttles.

I see you're a 50s sci-fi writet.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I'm always curious about airplanes in museums. Like, just how ready to go would they be if someone said "gently caress it, let's make it fly again" Are these all basically real planes converted to static displays that will never fly again unless you basically build it from scratch over again, or is it "change the fluids, charge the batteries, gas it up and let's go"

It's probably somewhere in between.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

I'm always curious about airplanes in museums. Like, just how ready to go would they be if someone said "gently caress it, let's make it fly again" Are these all basically real planes converted to static displays that will never fly again unless you basically build it from scratch over again, or is it "change the fluids, charge the batteries, gas it up and let's go"

It varies wildly. Generally the newer something is the less likely it is to ever fly again.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There was an air museum out in Virginia that kept all of it's displays in flight worthy condition. All of the displays had drip pans under the engines and hydraulic areas and a docent told me all they needed was fuel. It's an incredible hidden gem near Virgina Beach

Military Aviation Museum
1341 Princess Anne Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23457
(757) 721-7767

https://goo.gl/maps/iSptdciibJ72

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Isn't most of Paul Allen's collection flyable?

Of course that's more like Jay Leno's garage with public admission...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Postal posted:

If the microburst is so bad that the airframe can't survive it, then what does it matter who is flying? If the airframe can do it, and the pilot can do it, then eventually a computer will be able to do it. If you're a pilot, you'd best make your peace with the fact that your career path is limited. How many people in the last 60 years have said "my job could never be automated", and how many of them were right?

And the point I was making with Uber is that it will be the business model that makes these personal aircraft successful, not the current automotive industry business model. That means there is no need for 1 vehicle per person/household which you pilot twice a day at peak hour. It means users hire a Goobler as they need on a per use or subscription service (as long as there's no expensive driver to pay for), which means someone else owns and maintains them and keeps them up to spec and the vehicle pool can be much smaller than the user pool. When you think about the business models rather than the aircraft themselves, you all of a sudden realise that this poo poo is starting to make sense.

And as for safety of computers - millions of people get autonomous metro trains every day now. Robotic flying swarms are now old technology (witness the superbowl) and there is essentially no upper limit to the number of UAV's you can have in a given airspace, especially if they're communicating rather than relying on VFR - the only practical limit is the batteries going flat in an air hold due to traffic.

Not saying that the future is now, just saying that literally every single problem with this technology that has been raised to date either has been solved somewhere or is solvable.

Or people could just use mass transit instead of rely on a private business for all transportation needs.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
e: quote/edit

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 21, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Eej posted:

Or people could just use mass transit instead of rely on a private business for all transportation needs.

this is really the answer. there's no solution which is going to be more effective

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't most of Paul Allen's collection flyable?

Almost everything is flyable and flies, yeah. I think the major exception is the Fw 190 D-13, which is the only long-nose Dora left in the world, so they restored it but don't fly it. Also things they have on loan from somewhere else probably don't fly like their owned collection.

MrYenko posted:

Ladies and gentlemen: The wrongest person on the internet.

nah, second-wrongest. there was that post about the A380 vs the 747, remember?

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 21, 2017

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Is it weird if I've wondered what would happen if EBB met some mentally and physically gorgeous person and they instantly clicked and then their name turned out to be Connie?

I guess it is weird.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

Comrade Gorbash posted:

We don't even need to make mock ups, though. Just a rumor of a black jet over the desert can spawn a hundred Popular Mechanics features. I mean, how many pages did they get out of the Aurora? And when that died down, just slide right into the Black Manta.

I always wondered how much of the speculation over the F-19 was deliberate misinformation to maintain cover for the F-117?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't know about it being deliberate, but certainly the powers-that-be are happy to let the conspiracy theorists continue believing something completely wrong.

They came fairly close with Aurora, correctly associating the codename for the B-2 project with the black triangular aircraft in the deep desert.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Psion posted:

Please trigger-warning that poo poo in the future.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Psion posted:

Almost everything is flyable and flies, yeah.

This sentence and the fact that he owns an ME163 got me really excited for a moment...

Psion posted:

I chose to block that one from my memory.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

As far as I know a lot of more modern aircraft that end up in museums are near enough fatigue life expired and/or have anything useful stripped out.
Also wouldn't surprise me if it was cheaper to build a new, flyable Mustang than restore a Phantom to be no more than able to taxi.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

MrYenko posted:

This sentence and the fact that he owns an ME163 got me really excited for a moment...

Yeah, well, a pre-req for them flying things is a reasonable chance they can land it to fly again :v:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you want to see some juicy jugs on the internet

Netflix has made a documentry called "Five Came Back", about hollywood directors in World War 2. As part of this, they've posted the films the directors made during the war. Relevent to this thread is "Memphis Belle" the original 1943 documentry, and "Thunderbolt", about P-47 fighter-bomber ops in Italy. Watching fully loaded P-47s take off is great, as is "things to strafe in Italy when you've dropped your bombs."

If you don't have netflix, I'm almost positive these films are on archive.org

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

IIRC, some/most military aircraft that go into a civilian museum have holes drilled into key structural elements and parts taken out to make sure that they can't be returned to airworthiness.
citation: i worked at a museum and the loving holes drilled into the stubby wings and swashplate of our AH-1 made certain aspects of restoring it to what it looked like when it served insanely difficult

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Spaced God posted:

Connies would be pretty if they changed that front gear.

..and that nose...

....and the rest of the airplane...

Oh god. That front gear. I've never noticed that before. Oh god.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Connie would be a lot prettier if they shortened the nose and fuselage in front of the wing by at least a third, fixed the landing gear, and replaced the tailplane with something that doesn't look like it's from a failed pre-WWI experiment.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Spaced God posted:

IIRC, some/most military aircraft that go into a civilian museum have holes drilled into key structural elements and parts taken out to make sure that they can't be returned to airworthiness.
citation: i worked at a museum and the loving holes drilled into the stubby wings and swashplate of our AH-1 made certain aspects of restoring it to what it looked like when it served insanely difficult

That's sad. We should be moth balling these things so that people two hundred years from now can take them out and play.

Then again by that time the world will either have ended or you'll be able to 3D print a plane.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

um excuse me posted:

There was an air museum out in Virginia that kept all of it's displays in flight worthy condition. All of the displays had drip pans under the engines and hydraulic areas and a docent told me all they needed was fuel. It's an incredible hidden gem near Virgina Beach

Military Aviation Museum
1341 Princess Anne Rd, Virginia Beach, VA 23457
(757) 721-7767

https://goo.gl/maps/iSptdciibJ72

In 2011 or so, the EC-121 (which was, ironically, a Navy aircraft) on static display outside the AWACS wing headquarters building got some much-needed TLC. Cleaned off a ton of bird poo poo, fresh coat of paint, drain the oil, fuel, and other fluids...wait, what?

Yeah. Apparently nobody bothered to do that after it flew in from the boneyard in 1985, or since.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

The reason the Connie has that freakshow nose gear is the diameter of the propellers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Connie’s swagger stick just makes it better.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Best propliner still IL-18. It's just a gorgeous, pollution-spewing beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

Best propliner still IL-18. It's just a gorgeous, pollution-spewing beast.

That might be true if the Il-18 was the best propliner made by the Soviets. The thing is, it isn't: