Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
No, no, no they go back and CGI the scar in The Force Awakens so it matches it in The Last Jedi.

Get your Star Wars revisionism right, guys.

Edit: I like how even with George Lucas long-gone, Star Wars nerds are still getting up in arms over small details that really do no matter.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The scar moves and doesnt heal because it is the part of the living force that is Han Solo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

"That's the way it's always been." -JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson in 2018 as The Force Awakens Special Edition is released.

The home version of TFA already has continuity fixes.

Alternate point: TFA is non-canon.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
So I re-watched Rogue One on Digital Video Disc. It has some serious issues. Why is the "comic relief" character a slave that was literally brainwashed into joining the rebellion. They even make a cute joke about it. This seems to be very problematic.

Also, the characters just gleefully slaughtering faceless hordes of Stormtrooper who are just doing their jobs is pretty gross. After one of these massacres one of the heroes even sits down on top of slain trooper and starts making quips.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
K2SO is just C3PO with the flamboyancy sawed off and handed a blaster. Everybody in Star Wars enslaves droids and doesn't really think about it.

There's a morbidly funny moment in the ROTS novelisation I keep talking about where it says that the Naboo often treat some particularly intelligent droids as people, and Padme and Anakin still gifted each other C3PO and R2D2.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Am I a racist if I believe droids shouldn't be able to use the Force?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

ungulateman posted:

Everybody in Star Wars enslaves droids and doesn't really think about it.

"I see, Sir Luke"

"No, you can call me Luke"

"I see, Sir Luke"

"No, just Luke"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

UmOk posted:

So I re-watched Rogue One on Digital Video Disc. It has some serious issues. Why is the "comic relief" character a slave that was literally brainwashed into joining the rebellion. They even make a cute joke about it. This seems to be very problematic.

Also, the characters just gleefully slaughtering faceless hordes of Stormtrooper who are just doing their jobs is pretty gross. After one of these massacres one of the heroes even sits down on top of slain trooper and starts making quips.

There are no comic relief characters in Rogue One. Some of the characters occasionally make remarks alluding to the absurdity of their existence, which was also the more important aspect of Threepio's 'flamboyancy.' Typically, a heteronormative and patriarchal culture writes off Threepio's existential crises and persistent grip of terror as queer-ness, rather than recognizing its essentially human qualities, and how this is actually more human than the reductive moral opposition between the Empire and the Rebellion, both of which have actually always mirrored each others' corruption and ineptitude.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

hiddenriverninja posted:

Yes. Don't tell the Force what to do.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

What if Snoke is just a shaved Wampa?

Yes, the standalone movie will explain this. Snoke letting Luke cut off his arm was all part of his plan to get Luke and Leia to kiss (booya, another plot hole filled).

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

K. Waste posted:

There are no comic relief characters in Rogue One. Some of the characters occasionally make remarks alluding to the absurdity of their existence, which was also the more important aspect of Threepio's 'flamboyancy.' Typically, a heteronormative and patriarchal culture writes off Threepio's existential crises and persistent grip of terror as queer-ness, rather than recognizing its essentially human qualities, and how this is actually more human than the reductive moral opposition between the Empire and the Rebellion, both of which have actually always mirrored each others' corruption and ineptitude.

What the poo poo are you even keyboarding about? C3PO was a slave in an entirely different movie and was not forced to kill his former masters by his new masters.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

UmOk posted:

What the poo poo are you even keyboarding about? C3PO was a slave in an entirely different movie and was not forced to kill his former masters by his new masters.

Fact check:

C3PO does appear in Rogue One, and was 'forced to kill his former masters by his new masters' in Episode 2.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Fact check:

C3PO does appear in Rogue One, and was 'forced to kill his former masters by his new masters' in Episode 2.

Oh yeah! Duh. I forgot that he killed Ani-kid Skywalker!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

Droids are an inferior species, it's just a fact not racist.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Droids are an inferior species, it's just a fact not racist.

Fleshy Pride Galaxy Wide

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

hiddenriverninja posted:

According to Yoda, a rock could use the Force if given the will to do so.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Do or Do Not the Right Thing

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Snoke is the engine of life, the source of the galaxy's very existence. He is the hub of the wheel, the origin of all life, devourer of death.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I do like how Jyn is the only one to treat K2-SO like a person, even eventually giving him the gun he wanted earlier, despite him being an rear end in a top hat to her.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I do like how Jyn is the only one to treat K2-SO like a person, even eventually giving him the gun he wanted earlier, despite him being an rear end in a top hat to her.

Ya me too, but other than choke slamming her when she tried to escape capture by the Rebellion when was K2 ever actually an rear end in a top hat to Jyn?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

AndyElusive posted:

Ya me too, but other than choke slamming her when she tried to escape capture by the Rebellion when was K2 ever actually an rear end in a top hat to Jyn?

The way he talks to her, mostly. He always make sure to reminds her he doesn't like or trust her.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MonsieurChoc posted:

The way he talks to her, mostly. He always make sure to reminds her he doesn't like or trust her.

Or that anything he does other than show her contempt was ordered by Cassian.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

UmOk posted:

Threepio, Kay, and Bodhi are all 're-programmed droids.' They complement each other nicely as figures that could be misread as 'comic relief,' but are actually not framed as anymore overtly comic than any of the other 'straighter' characters; and are actually just providing nuance to the symbolic order of the film. When you describe a character as 'comic relief,' the obvious question is, "Compared to who/what?"

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Also, in Empire Strikes Back Han is the funniest character anyway.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Snoke is the engine of life, the source of the galaxy's very existence. He is the hub of the wheel, the origin of all life, devourer of death.

So in which movie does Kylo Ren get thrown into the Abyss?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yoda is the funniest character, and also, da man.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yoda's pretty funny too, but Han is having a tantrum that a girl won't return his affections for most of the movie and battling his own ship every step of the way. It's hilarious.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

My favourite part of Star Wars is when fans dressed up as Tusken Raiders for the local midnight of TFA. They did the ohhohh chant as the movie started which was a hit but you could tell after twenty minutes of sweaty nerd air they were finding their full body/face costumes difficult to deal with.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Beeez posted:

Also, in Empire Strikes Back Han is the funniest character anyway.

So in which movie does Kylo Ren get thrown into the Abyss?

It's probably already happened. He released Luke's disciples to the wheel before TFA began.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
D'awwwwwwwwwwwww.....

This Adorable Jyn Erso Cosplayer Spent Star Wars Celebration Handing Out the Death Star Plans to Every Princess Leia

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Seriously, I've been having one of the worst weeks of my entire life and those pictures of that mini Jyn Erso and her mission to hand the Death Star plans to all the Leias were like little beams of sunshine.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

AndyElusive posted:

Seriously, I've been having one of the worst weeks of my entire life and those pictures of that mini Jyn Erso and her mission to hand the Death Star plans to all the Leias were like little beams of sunshine.

I'm sorry to hear about your lovely week, but i'm glad those photos could cheer you up and I hope you're feeling a little bit better.

:hfive:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
prequel memes have revealed an incredible joke i've missed for the last 13 years:

Mace Windu: Take a seat, young Skywalker.

Senator Palpatine: [Throws Senate seats at Yoda]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

omg this is the best thing ever.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Bad cosplay; Jyn should be getting incinerated on a beach right around the time Leia gets the plans in hand, I can't believe they let her stay at the convention.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeris posted:

Bad cosplay; Jyn should be getting incinerated on a beach right around the time Leia gets the plans in hand, I can't believe they let her stay at the convention.

Clearly, Rogue One is "Legends."

The real Death Star plans heist film is basically Ocean's 11 in space set on the half-constructed Death Star, giving us insights into life aboard a giant metallic sphere of dread, and the Rebel infiltrator crew realizing they're horribly doomed when the last third of the film is a hard shift into a slasher flick as Darth Vader one-by-one murders the entire crew in increasingly horrific ways using his RED LIGHTSABER and the Force, before Jyn as the final survivor barely escapes on a hijacked Shuttle. Krennic demands they turn on the tractor beam (it hasn't been built yet), and Tarkin scoffs as he has already dispatched Vader to recover those plans - who thanks to his special suit (sans cape, because it would just get in the way on this mission) is actually on the outside of the shuttle as it warps to a safe distance in a nearby asteroid field before Jyn can transmit the plans to the rebel alliance. Busting in the door, Jyn's already started transmitting. In a desperate attempt to hold him off, Jyn is quickly dispatched in a momentary struggle - getting a lightsaber through the chest, but not before the plans are finally beamed to the Rebel Alliance, much to Vader's dismay. He casts her corpse to the side and commandeers the shuttle back to the Death Star, the radial dish panel of it's ultimate weapon being laid in the foreground as he warps back to safety.

The final scene of Vader's slaughter of Rebel goons is predated by the final shots of Prometheus - in a satirical ridicule of nerds and obsession over "canon," the final "here's your loving xenomorph" shot is a statement of ridicule. In the final moments of Rogue One, the only scene the mass audience found memorable was the reveal of Vader and his red lightsaber, carving through Rebel troopers like they were butter - a scene of fanboys writing for fanboys, adding no weight to the film with no development of character. Senseless fanservice delivered in an almost snuff-film fashion, when this drama and tension should have been a significant portion of the film. Especially considering they made a film about stealing the Death Star plans that... aren't on the actual loving Death Star, a supposedly impenetrable fortress of steel and death that can obliterate an entire planet? Talk about underwhelming.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Whenever Vader is inevitably used again in another live action Star Wars thing they should have his lightsaber be red in the theatrical version and pink on home video and never acknowledge the difference.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Neo Rasa posted:

Whenever Vader is inevitably used again in another live action Star Wars thing they should have his lightsaber be red in the theatrical version and pink on home video and never acknowledge the difference.

Surely you mean it would randomly be white.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Zeris posted:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Can someone explain to me how matte paintings work? I've been watching the prequels with commentary on, and it seems like drat near every single exterior establishing shot (particularly of Coruscant) somehow employs the use of matte paintings, despite having the appearance of swooping camera motion and resultant three-dimensionality. Are they just making 3D illustrations on the computer and calling them "paintings"?

It's pretty amazing to hear just how much CGI is in the movies that people never even notice. For all of the criticism of that aging CGI in TPM, I doubt anyone has ever noticed that the glass in the Naboo fighter cockpits all are CGI. It seems like almost every shot in the films has something equally impressive and subtle while a more glaring and obvious CGI asset is at the forefront of your attention.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Pre digital, matte paintings were literal paintings, on big plates of glass. These would be photographed and integrated with live action footage. This video gives a really good overview, and uses ROTJ as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-uk9NhNeb4

Now everything is digital, but the same principles apply. Digital matte paintings are done in Photoshop, and for speed/realism usually start with photographs as the base. But these need to be manipulated and blended together realistically, and in many cases you want elements that have to be created from scratch. These elements (along with lighting changes, shadows, etc) are digitally painted, with a tablet and pen. The Misty Mountains in Lord of the Rings are mostly blended photographs, something like Courscant makes heavier use of custom painted elements, on top of blended photo textures.

In the most basic use, a digital matte painting is a single static image that you integrate with your other footage. A static image can be used with some slight camera movement, as long as the movement is small and the camera doesn't move so much as pan. This was also possible with traditional mattes, like in the Rebel hangar and Raiders examples from the above video. This is also the case for extreme background elements - the sky and horizon. Even if the camera moves a long way, the perspective on these elements doesn't change enough to be noticeable. So you can get away with a static image that's wrapped around in a curve, like a skybox in a video game.

For more complex shots where the camera actually moves, you can still use this basic technique. But now the image needs to be broken up so that the parallax looks convincing. So you make very low resolution 3D geometry to project your 2D painting on to, and then fly the camera though that in a limited fashion. If the camera moved far enough, the illusion would fail. This video has some good examples, and shows the separate layers in 3D space. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjgSm4eJPAM (the first few examples are from features films, the last few look like portfolio pieces from when this person was still in school)

These are still called "paintings" because that's their heritage (the people who used to do them traditionally have transitioned to doing them digitally), and also because paintings are still what they're conceptually closest to - the bulk of the work is getting the 2D images looking right, whether or not they end up getting broken apart and projected on to low res geometry so a camera move looks correct.

The idea is always to do just enough to make the shot work, and no more. In a given scene of Courscant, the foreground buildings might be fully 3D modeled, the midground buildings might be a projected matte painting, and the background buildings, horizon, and sky might be static paintings. A fully modeled and textured 3D environment could be shot from any angle, with any camera movement, but would take far longer to create.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 24, 2017

• Locked thread