Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

I know this doesn't help you actually do it, but I'm quite sure I did that in Prboom before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

fadam posted:

Hey guys, sorry if this is a dumb question but in PRBoom and GZDoom is there a way to disable mouselook but make it so moving the mouse forward doesn't move my guy forward?

Do you actually want to disable mouselook entirely, or do you just want to restrict it to the horizontal like in the original EXE?

If you want to do the latter, in GZDoom you go to Gameplay Options and then turn off "Allow freelook". If you want to do that in PRBoom, try messing around with the mouse vertical sensitivity in the config file until the vertical look barely happens.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I've updated the horrible OP to add and remove and update things as necessary. Like anyone reads it, anyway.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

fishmech posted:

Do you actually want to disable mouselook entirely, or do you just want to restrict it to the horizontal like in the original EXE?

If you want to do the latter, in GZDoom you go to Gameplay Options and then turn off "Allow freelook". If you want to do that in PRBoom, try messing around with the mouse vertical sensitivity in the config file until the vertical look barely happens.

Thanks!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Cardboard Box A posted:

The grandfather of all modern multiplayer first person shooters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Tm6jbPC8k

why is nobody talking about how rad this is?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Diabetes Forecast posted:

why is nobody talking about how rad this is?

It looks like a nightmare to play.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

fishmech posted:

I'm pretty sure he's asking how to turn off mousemove (which is in the vanilla EXE, annoyingly, though thankfully Chocolate Doom lets you disable it).

Pretty sure both PrBoom and GZDoom call it by that exact name, "mouse move", so look in their respective mouse/control settings for that option.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Am I the only person here who actually likes lookspring when playing vanilla doom then? Like, I get that it can be annoying sometimes, but I've always preferred scooping to playing strictly keyboard.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

I've updated the horrible OP to add and remove and update things as necessary. Like anyone reads it, anyway.

I may be that guy, but I check it like once a month to remember stuff or mods. So thanks for the effort!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

Strife is on GOG too, now.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cardboard Box A posted:

The grandfather of all modern multiplayer first person shooters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Tm6jbPC8k
I don't think I've ever seen this game come up in any FPS history discussions. Looks pretty neat, although I wonder if modern emulators can map the controls to something like WASD + mouse or even just dual sticks.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

The Kins posted:

Thanks Kinsie!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As long as we're updating the OP, the Quake 2 soundtrack video linked there has been taken down; here's a suggested replacement.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

I look at it now and then :)

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im uh

insanely bad at quake champions

a friend let me try it out and i pretty much got the poo poo kicked out of me constantly

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i remember being bad at Quake but not that bad. like I can go into a rando Quake Live server and have a pretty decent chance at winning, but no fuckin chance on this so far.

everyone ive played with I think has only played Quake since it came out

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?
Same, at least this last game where I got embarrassed. Maybe it was the beer, or maybe most novice players had quit by then leaving only the hardcore assholes.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If you don't know how to move in Quake you're pretty much hosed. Sorry, chaps.

The Kins posted:

Good one, mate :)

I thought I was the only one regularly looking up the OP for info but I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Uncle Kitchener posted:

If you don't know how to move in Quake you're pretty much hosed. Sorry, chaps.

It's good to know that the game is going to be dead before it even comes out.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I'm having a lot of fun in the beta. It's going to be more alive than QL.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I got around to finishing Duke Nukem 3D World Tour today. The final boss of the bonus episode was terrible and Duke's final line at the end mirrors how I feel about the franchise in general as I play through Bulletstorm with the Duke DLC and also finish off Manhattan Project. I wish I knew how to quit you and your mediocre games indeed, Duke. :shepface:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I don't think the weapons feel very good in Quake Champions and I sort of hate all of the characters. It seems to play well but man does it take a while to get a match started. PUBG feels faster than Quake in that regard and that's silly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I only played last week, but I don't think it's breaking NDA to say I'm not a fan of the "hero shooter" elements in the game. They muddy the waters and don't add a whole lot.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Without having any genuine familiarity with Quake Champions, does it seem like they're implementing the "Hero" thing to appeal to the kind of players who would also like Overwatch?

Bathtub Cheese
Jun 15, 2008

I lust for Chinese world conquest. The truth does not matter before the supremacy of Dear Leader Xi.
QC is going to be dead on arrival.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
As soon as I heard one of the "heros" has a barrier, I lost interest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq7Dy1kkuLA

The gameplay felt alright in the beta, but even if I only played the mode that disables abilities, I'd rather just stick with Reflex

HolyKrap fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 22, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

I'd rather just stick with Reflex

I would too, if anyone actually played it.

The hero abilities aren't as game changing in Quake Champions as they are in Overwatch and the like.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

I don't think the weapons feel very good in Quake Champions and I sort of hate all of the characters. It seems to play well but man does it take a while to get a match started. PUBG feels faster than Quake in that regard and that's silly.

I may sound silly but, what is PUBG? I only know about reflex, nexuiz and some other "modern" arena shooters.

I played around 5 hours of Quake Champions and I'm not breaking the NDA saying that it feels bad. The weapons and the HUD (oh god the HUD is ugly as hell) feel cheap but the whole "hero" thing is poo poo. As much as they didn't provide amazing powers, it doesn't fit and will lead to some people just sticking to some heroes in public matches and well, balance patches because of that.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 22, 2017

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guillermus posted:

I may sound silly but, what is PUBG? I only know about reflex, nexuiz and some other "modern" arena shooters.

I played around 5 hours of Quake Champions and I'm not breaking the NDA saying that it feels bad. The weapons and the HUD (oh god the HUD is ugly as hell) feel cheap but the whole "hero" thing is poo poo. As much as they didn't provide amazing powers, it doesn't fit and will lead to some people just sticking to some heroes in public matches and well, balance patches because of that.

PBUG=PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS which is not an arena shooter at least it doesn't seem to have that type of gameplay.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Without having any genuine familiarity with Quake Champions, does it seem like they're implementing the "Hero" thing to appeal to the kind of players who would also like Overwatch?

Nope. They're all just little quirks with how the champion plays. It's ultimately just Quake Live again with some mildly different mechanics.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Core Quake community seems to be trying to keep it positive, but outside of that, pretty much everything seems to think the heroes are lame and core Quake game modes are where it's still at.

Kind of a shame, but it would probably be the best to let hero mode die. It's probably a pain to balance out too.

But if they fail the modding scene, this will definitely be DOA. That's what keeps these games alive.

GUI posted:

I got around to finishing Duke Nukem 3D World Tour today. The final boss of the bonus episode was terrible and Duke's final line at the end mirrors how I feel about the franchise in general as I play through Bulletstorm with the Duke DLC and also finish off Manhattan Project. I wish I knew how to quit you and your mediocre games indeed, Duke. :shepface:

Always bet of Dookie.

*jumps on roulette table*

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Wamdoodle posted:

PBUG=PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS which is not an arena shooter at least it doesn't seem to have that type of gameplay.

Yeah it's not even close to an arena shooter but for a tactical stealth battle royale game that needs 100 people it's incredibly quick to get into a match, something other games need to take note off.

Quake Champions has countdown timers out the rear end and then before a match everyone has to show up and loving pose and show off their customized hero. Nobody cares!

e: but yeah the default John Quake character or whatever his name is just never shuts the gently caress up about slipgates and it's incredibly lame. Like CliffyB's new arena shooter it feels like they're going for an edgy late 90s aesthetic and I'm just...past that.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The differing health/armour values per character are way worse than the the ability stuff.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Buca di Bepis posted:

It looks like a nightmare to play.

It's honestly not THAT bad. took a couple rounds of it in an emulator and you get used to it pretty quickly. it's archaic as gently caress but atleast all the sprites are cool.
I wonder if anyone could rip those out? It'd be nice to see them used in mods or something rather than EVERYTHING about the game being forgotten.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

well I guess I'll defend QC, I think it's fun and good at what it does. It's not going to be a replacement for Reflex or Quake Live, but the duel mode they showcased looks like a smart use of their champion system.

health/armor, hitbox sizes, and mobility options per champ do need and will receive constant tuning, but yeah obviously some champs will end up being objectively better than the rest.

this is the only mechanic I really don't care for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrfWtFPgVnw&t=389s - the damage bonus when you use weapon zoom

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Shadow Hog posted:

As long as we're updating the OP, the Quake 2 soundtrack video linked there has been taken down; here's a suggested replacement.

this reminds me i've been trying to rebuild my music library after a catastrophic data loss and when i got to sonic mayhem i found homeboy actually put together an EP that rules back in 2015. also his 'alternate soundtrack' for quake 1 that first put him on id's radar that was totally unlocatable for 20 years came to light recently thanks to john romero and is free to download. actually i guess 2012 isn't really "recently" anymore but i'm posting in a thread because i play video games so old they border on the archaeological so what the gently caress do i know :thumbsup:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone knows where to get Tribes Vengeance appart from the official https://www.tribesuniverse.com/ ? I downloaded it from there like four times and it always gives me the same error when copying one file while installing. At this point, any interest I have for the game is banishing because even the official download is not working.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does Quake Champions actually have advanced movement like strafe jumping universally? In game it says that Visor's passive is his strafe jump and the Lizard guy's passive is he moves faster if he bunny hops, but it doesn't say anything like that for anyone else.

EDIT: I guess I'm asking what's the fastest way to move around if you're just playing the normie guy?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

fadam posted:

Does Quake Champions actually have advanced movement like strafe jumping universally? In game it says that Visor's passive is his strafe jump and the Lizard guy's passive is he moves faster if he bunny hops, but it doesn't say anything like that for anyone else.

EDIT: I guess I'm asking what's the fastest way to move around if you're just playing the normie guy?

This is basically the question that is gonna make or break quake champions for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

From what I heard the quake 1 slipgate mcbigchin guy doesn't actually have quakeworld movement, instead they gave air control to hoverboard man. But this is all second hand info since the beta the site wasn't loading when I went to redeem a key.