Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Which one does the dog shows?

Jr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Shamelessly stolen from the Mena thread, but some good news for once.

https://twitter.com/CENTCOM/status/855465172701507585

https://twitter.com/jseldin/status/855459753736196097

quote:

BREAKING: Close associate of #ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi confirmed killed in US ground op near Mayadin #Syria on April 6, per @CENTCOM

Abdul Rahman al-Uzbeki tracked for some time, had helped plan #ISIS New Year's Eve attack on #Istanbul nightclub- @CENTCOM Col John Thomas

al-Uzbeki also a key facilitator for #ISIS foreign fighters, money in #Syria #Iraq, per @CENTCOM's Col. Thomas

#ISIS' al-Uzbeki "was known to interact with him [Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi] in various ways over time", per Col. Thomas re #Syria ground op

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
does the DoJ really have any power to withhold federal funding if states don't get rid of sanctuary cities?

and if they do that, what happens if that state decides to not pay their federal taxes?

(i'm only serious about the first one, but i'm curious about the second one)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TBeats posted:

does the DoJ really have any power to withhold federal funding if states don't get rid of sanctuary cities?

and if they do that, what happens if that state decides to not pay their federal taxes?

(i'm only serious about the first one, but i'm curious about the second one)

They can withhold certain grants to PDs, but then you have a bunch of mad cops talking about how the Justice Department cares more about catching illegals than it does about catching felons and protecting police.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The Supreme Court has ruled that because of States Rights the feds can only attach funding conditions related to the purpose of the funding. This actually came up in the ACA case regarding the Medicaid expansion iirc.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jfc seals

Navy SEAL charged with molesting child on camera - CBS News
https://apple.news/AnCMNbS_7SQCIDF4dVizofg

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
lol this top white house official is totally Donnie

https://twitter.com/RyanLizza/status/855524856867291140

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 21, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

how drunk is putin right now

not only did he get his puppet in but the us government is about to shutdown because of it

um question

government goes into shutdown

shots fired in north korea

.....what the gently caress happens then?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The military and other "critical" functions don't shut down.

Typically the bank that probably 75% of the military uses (and other banks, I'm sure) will send out messages to its customers that even if there's a shutdown it'll honor their expected paychecks because we all know it'll be fixed eventually. USAA is a good bank.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Contingency operations do not cease due to a shutdown. So no sneaky NZ attacks.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Contingency operations do not cease due to a shutdown. So no sneaky NZ attacks.

too late, the SAS are already in

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The military offices filled with federal civilian employees sure as poo poo will shut down though

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Buca di Bepis posted:

The military offices filled with federal civilian employees sure as poo poo will shut down though

What about the IC? If NK jumps the 38th parallel or tries to nuke Tokyo, we wouldn't know about it until after the fact if Trump shuts down the Agency.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The rules on what is shut down and what isn't have been written down for a long time and have been exercised SEVERAL times in the past few years. Why is this thread flipping its poo poo? We did this in 2013 ffs.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Godholio posted:

The rules on what is shut down and what isn't have been written down for a long time and have been exercised SEVERAL times in the past few years. Why is this thread flipping its poo poo? We did this in 2013 ffs.

I'm asking the question because I'm not sure what's affected, and I think we can agree the international situation is a lot less stable than it was in 2013.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
It's funny laughing at reservists and guardsmen as they try to figure out if they are going to drill or not.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Flikken posted:

It's funny laughing at reservists and guardsmen as they try to figure out if they are going to drill or not.
Last time I'd already taken that drill off so I didn't even get to feel like I got away with something.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Godholio posted:

I have my interview for Global Entry this week. I'm going to be so pissed if the government shuts down and I can't get approved before my upcoming travel.

quote:

During the 2013 shut down drill was cancelled for a month or two (I think we had drill weekends like a week or two apart that month) which we then made up in a week long drill in February.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 21, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I thought the military was funded a year ahead like the VA but clearly I've been out too long. There were no gov shutdowns while I was in. Just a bunch of babbling Bush poo poo.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I thought the military was funded a year ahead like the VA but clearly I've been out too long. There were no gov shutdowns while I was in. Just a bunch of babbling Bush poo poo.

Democrat controlled congress didn't cause shut downs? You don't say?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

DoktorLoken posted:

I have my interview for Global Entry this week. I'm going to be so pissed if the government shuts down and I can't get approved before my upcoming travel.

I'm scheduled to do some stuff in Idaho this summer and thanks to backlog/slowness/underfunding (ex has rebates by shutdown) I may be getting paid as a contractor, at site, but not ON site, for doing no real work because things haven't been approved yet.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Guys guys did you hear they're not gonna pay us :siren: jokes on them i'm just gonna not show up to work :smug:

Cue mandatory training about NJP if you don't go to work

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 22, 2017

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Trump doesn't like paying contractors.

Watch y'all not get paid.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So what's the timeline for this latest government shutdown? When's this carriage turning into a pumpkin if you will.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

So what's the timeline for this latest government shutdown? When's this carriage turning into a pumpkin if you will.

4/28 at Midnight

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

They have until midnight next friday to come to a deal.

They're not going to come to a deal.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No we're gonna run into the healthcare wall again

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be kind of funny if they just fast track a bill to prevent the government from having to shut down. LIke the way it was before Carter's (I think) AG said the government had to shutdown.

McConnell just going "Nope Ted you don't get to play with loaded guns anymore."

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Cool: thinking Donnie is up to his neck in vodka and he doesn't know how to swim.

Uncool: whatever the gently caress Louise Mensch is doing. https://twitter.com/MiriamElder/status/855555864085901312

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Two Finger posted:

I'm asking the question because I'm not sure what's affected, and I think we can agree the international situation is a lot less stable than it was in 2013.

Active duty military and most of the IC are not affected. DOD civilians and IC civilians who are not considered "critical" (basically the same people who aren't excused during bad weather, etc) stay home. You're not going to find a list anywhere because that wouldn't be published, since it's position-specific.

Literally day 100. :lol:

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 22, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The fact that nobody has said the phrase "color of money" yet in this government shutdown chat is very triggering to me.

Edit: lol if you're still OMA

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 22, 2017

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I've been hearing a bunch of government folks smugly explain how there isn't going to be a shutdown because 'they heard through backchannels' that 'a deal was being worked.'

Lol we're *definitely* going to shut down now :cheerdoge:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
NPR had a bit about it this morning, can't remember what show. Said some poo poo exactly like that, backroom hush hush deal between dems and reps to ensure a budget but then someone said "border wall funding" and it's essentially at a halt.

poo poo's getting shut down.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Schumer's chief of staff was saying that a deal was going well, then Donnie came in and yelled I'M GONNA BUILD A WALL and now poo poo's stalled.

So now they're figuring out if Donnie's full of poo poo because if so, they'll just proceed onward and tell Donnie to bipartisanly go gently caress himself. If Donnie holds his ground, the shutdown starts.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
And the polls will plummet, so when NK does test their nuke on May 2nd-ish, dumbass Donnie can sign whatever budget they put in front of him to turn on the bomb money faucet again and the usual bombing bump for the opinion polls.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If Donny and the GOP have control of all branches of the government and bumblefuck their way into a shutdown, I might laugh myself to death.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I like to imagine that Trump (not having a civic bone in his body) thinks that because he doesn't give a gently caress and everyone else doesn't want a shutdown, then he's somehow holding all the cards and they'll have to kowtow to him and give him what he wants. Checkmate!

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
If the shutdown happens I won't be able to eat lunch at the federal building. He Will Not Divide Us

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Racist Perjury Elf: NYC sucks and is a crime-infested hellscape wasteland https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/855551130268467201

NYPD: lol wut https://twitter.com/NYCityAlerts/status/855542697909780480

Racist Perjury Elf: uh um uh wait gently caress what the um oh YEAH WE MEANT THE MAYOR, HE SUCKS https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/855552052122046468

NYPD: nope, gently caress you a lot https://twitter.com/harrysiegel/status/855558139227328513

Edit:

Racist Perjury Elf: OK FINE I hosed UP https://twitter.com/JaneLednovich/status/855564780102352897

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

NPR had a bit about it this morning, can't remember what show. Said some poo poo exactly like that, backroom hush hush deal between dems and reps to ensure a budget but then someone said "border wall funding" and it's essentially at a halt.

poo poo's getting shut down.

At this point anyone with half a brain in the government should automatically assume that Trump's going to Steve Urkel his way into whatever business they're trying to accomplish and totally ruin things.

• Locked thread