Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

we're on a boat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
A desert on a boat explains a lot about Night Vale.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I'm doing a live commentary and Q&A of Alice Isn't Dead episode 1 right now on twitter (@alicepodcast) to catch people up for Part 2. Join me there if you want.

Snowdog79
Jul 18, 2007

Things are more like they
are now than they ever were before.

Earwicker posted:

we're on a boat!

And the Boat Show was outstanding. Whose idea was it to bring Pat Rothfuss in to read the "Word from our sponsor?"

Excellent work as always, sir.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Well that was both depressing and hilarious.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Yeah.

I was sort of figuring Tamika would be the one to reveal the Tiered Heavens and the Hierarchy of Angels, since it was only known to the City Council that she appointed herself to.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The ending was amazing, and I'm really excited for the new book

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I'm so mad at you guys right now. But time heals all wounds. Too bad time doesn't work right.

PS I'm so excited about the new season of Alice!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Loving the hell out of the Alice Isn't Dead mini episodes. Can't wait for the new season. I love that show so much. The writing, acting and music are all amazing.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Are the Alice mini episodes stand alone or are they taken from part 2?

My partner recently developed an allergy to wheat so I played episode 11. It still stands out as an great episode.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

freelop posted:

Are the Alice mini episodes stand alone or are they taken from part 2?

They're not stand alone in that Alice is entirely serialized, but they are their own episodes, not clips from later episodes.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Any idea on the timeline for having Ghost Stories up on iTunes? I had tickets to the show in Dallas last year, but wasn't able to make it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't know an official date but I'm working on the mix of live Ghost Stories ep and it's nearly done, just got a bit waylaid preparing for the upcoming tour (which starts Thursday!) and Alice season 2.

Speaking of which here is the third and final bonus episode before we start the season proper: https://aliceisntdead.libsyn.com/1-haugen-montana

also if you live in NYC all shows at the Bell House are now sold out except for the first one, this Thursday!

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

https://aliceisntdead.libsyn.com/part-2-chapter-1-the-last-free-place[

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

I didn't realize how much I missed Alice Isn't Dead. :allears: Great music, as always!

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I really like the Officer in Alice Isn't Dead. Her VA (Roberta Clemtress--no idea how it's spelled) knocked it out of the park.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

I really thought at the end of Part 1 that she was Alice. I like this turn a lot better.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I want to listen to AiD at work, but I can only listen to Night Vale Presents products while driving or at night. Preferably driving at night.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Rosalind posted:

I really like the Officer in Alice Isn't Dead. Her VA (Roberta Clemtress--no idea how it's spelled) knocked it out of the park.

Roberta Colindrez

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Yesss. Got my tickets for me and my siblings for my first live show in Austin

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I downloaded some old episodes early for a re-listen and found that they added sponsor messages to the beginning and end of them. Has it been this way for a while or is this a new thing?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Ohtsam posted:

I downloaded some old episodes early for a re-listen and found that they added sponsor messages to the beginning and end of them. Has it been this way for a while or is this a new thing?

I discovered this when I did my relisten on my (multi-day) drive home for Christmas, but they weren't there the year before. So sometime in the last year.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Look at these scrubs who don't have the original mp3s of every episode, complete with plug for Commonplace Books, saved on their hard drives

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I went to the live show in Boston last weekend. It was a lot of fun! Cecil was wearing this bizarre suit that I loved.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

Great live show, as usual! :toot: Kind of wish you guys had Square or something for merch, though. :(

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Kazy posted:

Great live show, as usual! :toot: Kind of wish you guys had Square or something for merch, though. :(

We, uh, usually do. Maybe something went wrong with the connection.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Super excited for the KC show!
Edit: Great show so far!
Edit: Wow...amazing show!

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 22, 2017

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
My calender says that I am supposed to travel back in time to my seat at Ghost Stories last year, but I didn't write down what I'm supposed to do when I'm there. Help me, what am I supposed to do :ohdear:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Slaan posted:

My calender says that I am supposed to travel back in time to my seat at Ghost Stories last year, but I didn't write down what I'm supposed to do when I'm there. Help me, what am I supposed to do :ohdear:

Travel back, observe to find out what you should have done and then write down in your calendar a reminder so when you get to this point in time you'll be able to travel back and do what it is you were supposed to do.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Heading to the Columbus show tomorrow with a friend, looking forward to it!

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
Oh my dog, the last episode of Alice Isn't Dead was just wonderful. The location you describe was my family's annual vacation spot growing up, so I'm well familiar with the free museum, Jake the Alligator Boy, the coin-operated shows, and the arcade down the road. The bar on the next block has a fun small-town karaoke night and there's a place around the corner where you can do those old-timey photos dressed up as cowboys or pirates. Listening to this episode was surreal and nostalgic and evoked just the strangest mix of emotions. Thanks for making it happen guys.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

ThatOneGuy posted:

Heading to the Columbus show tomorrow with a friend, looking forward to it!

As am I, with a few friends. I'm so excited!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

maxnmona posted:

We, uh, usually do. Maybe something went wrong with the connection.

Seemed like it, but only barely had enough cash for a poster and a single t-shirt between me and my partner. Hopefully there will be extras on Topatoco sometime :v:

I did manage to snag us both WTNV vinyl records today, though :toot:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Like...Holy poo poo Night Vale...holy poo poo :smith:

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah. That was a hell of a twist. Holy balls.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

AstroZamboni posted:

Yeah. That was a hell of a twist. Holy balls.

Second! Also I dug the Hidetaka Miyazaki shout out.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

So is Huntokar the woman who oversees the men with the crates in the desert? Is the underground city partially resulting from the reality split that the lady in the physical sciences building experienced?

Can't wait to see where this is going.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

You guys are absolutely killing it this season! Ignoring the fact that this is probably one of my favorite episodes ever from a plot perspective, the weather was absolutely spectacular. I've listened to it 5 times already.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Yeah I have to say I simply loved that Weather, I know it's one I'll listen to a lot and it fit the theme of the episode so well. I'm moving and so everything is a goddamn nightmare because that is how moving works, so it's nice to have a background distraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

You guys are absolutely killing it this season! Ignoring the fact that this is probably one of my favorite episodes ever from a plot perspective, the weather was absolutely spectacular. I've listened to it 5 times already.

I just listened to it, and :aaaaa:. This would be the absolute worst episode to play for someone who's never heard the show before. It only works if you have been following for four years and have expectations of what a normal WTNV episode is. From the jump, everything is just wrong. Just things subtly being off, like Cecil not knowing Josie or the City Council being human. Anyone else would think that's normal, but we know there's something wrong. Who would have thought that Cecil reading a normal weather report could be so unsettling? There's something really fascinating about how a show can build up the expectation of things being weird and then make the audience uncomfortable by being normal, since what is normal in the real world is abnormal in that setting. It kind of reminded me of the Adventure Time episode where they're in a normal Earth and Jake is a normal non-talking dog. So the big twist is that the underground civilization was a parallel Night Vale? And I guess they were cut off from the rest of the world when the bowling alley was built over them? You have my attention. Oh, yes, and the weather was awesome. I kept backing up to make sure I was catching all the little allusions. They were actually pretty obvious, and it wasn't an especially complex song, but it was clear and powerful.

Unrelated, but I wanted to talk about a previous episode. When my wife's grand-mother died, I don't think she had a clear will. Relatives from all over swooped down to pick over her belongings and lay claim to whatever they could find. Some of them didn't ever bother to visit while she was sick, but were happy to lay a claim because of blood relations. In an earlier episode, Josie's daughter was fighting with the angels over her inheritance. Josie had left it to the angels who took care of her and to the town she loved. I'm not sure we'd ever seen her daughter before, but she seemed to think she had a legitimate claim to Josie's estate based on blood relations. Needless to say, my wife found that difficult to listen to, but I hope we return to that plot. They had a similar reaction to Homecoming a couple years ago, with its message of "the dead can't be with us, but they'd want us to cherish the people we still have."

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 2, 2017