Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

ChairMaster posted:

Consume what you want, expand your carbon footprint as much as you need in order to get whatever you can out of whats left of the world before it's too late.

The problem here is that some people have a "conscience", which causes them to not want to do things that they know will negatively affect other people, such as expanding their carbon footprint as much as they need in order to get whatever they can out of what's left of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Yes and other people are sane enough to realize that their carbon footprint will never come close to approaching that of Exxon let alone the billions of humans who also do not give a poo poo, who indeed will never give a poo poo until the oceans flood their homes and they die of starvation, and as such there is no point in living a life of severe asceticism.

There are many reasonable appeals for people to consume less and alter their lifestyle, climate change isn't one of them.

Anywho, Atmospheric C02 levels have passed 410ppm for the first time in recorded history.

10ppm in 8 months is a bit of a spike. Sheesh.

Rime fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 22, 2017

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rime posted:

Yes and other people are sane enough to realize that their carbon footprint will never come close to approaching that of Exxon
how did you type that

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Rime posted:

Yes and other people are sane enough to realize that their carbon footprint will never come close to approaching that of Exxon

Most corporations are lovely but outsourcing responsibility to them is also just wrong. They service a demand, people with cars. Its that demand that needs to be reduced.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

BattleMoose posted:

Most corporations are lovely but outsourcing responsibility to them is also just wrong. They service a demand, people with cars. Its that demand that needs to be reduced.

lol if you believe this

maybe crack open a book buddy, because corporations don't exist to service human demands, they exist to make profits

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
If there was no demand for products derived from oil, Exxon would have zero emissions.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

spf3million posted:

If there was no demand for products derived from oil, Exxon would have zero emissions.

If it was illegal to use fossil fuels, Exxon would have zero emissions.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Whether or not you consume as much as you possibly can will have literally zero affect on the future of the world. Whether or not you convince every single person you know to reduce their emissions to an absolute minimum also will have zero affect. It simply does not matter, this problem is in the hands of the governments of the world, which are all totally uninterested in solving it, or doing anything more than making themselves look good by pretending they care about it. Any effort being put toward reducing your impact is completely and utterly wasted.

Don't be a victim of sunk cost fallacy, you still have time to enjoy our access to wreckless consumerism before it all falls apart.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

ChairMaster posted:

Whether or not you consume as much as you possibly can will have literally zero affect on the future of the world. Whether or not you convince every single person you know to reduce their emissions to an absolute minimum also will have zero affect. It simply does not matter, this problem is in the hands of the governments of the world, which are all totally uninterested in solving it, or doing anything more than making themselves look good by pretending they care about it. Any effort being put toward reducing your impact is completely and utterly wasted.

Don't be a victim of sunk cost fallacy, you still have time to enjoy our access to wreckless consumerism before it all falls apart.

It's reckless. Use some of your enjoyment time in the library.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TildeATH posted:

but... but... free market...

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Rime posted:

10ppm in 8 months is a bit of a spike. Sheesh.

There's a yearly cycle that varies by about that much.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

but... but... free market...
And this is why I support the complete collapse of the EU. :kheldragar:

If we can't save everyone, we can at least save ourselves and those close to us.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

TildeATH posted:

I'd argue that without a price on carbon emissions, emitters will continue to make the most economic decision for themselves personally. This is why governments are necessary. No other institution has the ability to enact and enforce a policy for the greater good while inconveniencing everyone (higher costs on carbon emissions). Governments have let emitters continue to emit and have let consumers continue to use energy without accounting for their emissions. Blaming Exxon is misguided.

That being said, you can blame Exxon for lobbying the various levels of government to influence policy, but ultimately the people allow it to happen by continuing to reelect.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
It is just because it is so. -spf3million, esteemed forums poster

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

VectorSigma posted:

There's a yearly cycle that varies by about that much.

Even so, it's been going up about 2 ppm/yr lately.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
*spf3millions spends days lurking the climate change thread, waiting for his time to come*

"fossil fuel companies are a lead contributor to climate change"

*finally, my time has come*

Well, here's the thing bud.... Something you might not have thought about.... If nobody used oil..... there would be no emissions.... demand.... supply....

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Well, I'd love for there to be a political solution to this but, yeah, I'm going to expose my Jewish neighbours. After all, I can't stop The Holocaust all by myself. Giving one or two families away won't make a difference, gives me a better standing with The Party and perhaps I get to take over their flat.

That's just common sense.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Well, I'd love for there to be a political solution to this but, yeah, I'm going to expose my Jewish neighbours. After all, I can't stop The Holocaust all by myself. Giving one or two families away won't make a difference, gives me a better standing with The Party and perhaps I get to take over their flat.

That's just common sense.

i knew we were heading down godwin road but i didnt expect it to take this form. well done :golfclap:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoutout to all the other goons going to a March For Science today. Excited to make some noise.

If you can't make it today, there is a Climate March in just about every major American city next weekend. Go forth and be loud.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

I wonder if it's almost counterproductive using science awareness to combat climate change. it was never a science problem; it was always a political problem. People are going to think that "more science" is the solution to fight climate change. There are so many people that still thing that all it takes is green energy policy initiative. That the real issue we're facing is republicans/conservatives stymieing the process. But it's so much more than that. Our entire society is based on the exploitation of the environment. Simply acknowledging that the problem exists won't do anything. A complete restructuring is the only solution.

You could make the argument that any attempt to delay climate change at this point would cause more suffering. reducing emissions little by little will only delay the inevitable, and the further along we are, the greater the human population that will be subjected to horribly painful existence.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

spf3million posted:

I'd argue that without a price on carbon emissions, emitters will continue to make the most economic decision for themselves personally. This is why governments are necessary. No other institution has the ability to enact and enforce a policy for the greater good while inconveniencing everyone (higher costs on carbon emissions). Governments have let emitters continue to emit and have let consumers continue to use energy without accounting for their emissions.

No government is ever going to do that, because no democratic government, and a non-zero number of undemocratic ones, will survive telling a significant fraction of their population that they have to be priced out of the ability to heat their homes and buy certain foods (since an increase in the price of energy will be felt across most sectors of the economy) for the greater good, while people in other countries continue to consume recklessly.

At this point there are still solutions, but they are nearly as horrible to contemplate as the long term effects of climate change.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Minge Binge posted:

I wonder if it's almost counterproductive using science awareness to combat climate change. it was never a science problem; it was always a political problem. People are going to think that "more science" is the solution to fight climate change. There are so many people that still thing that all it takes is green energy policy initiative. That the real issue we're facing is republicans/conservatives stymieing the process. But it's so much more than that. Our entire society is based on the exploitation of the environment. Simply acknowledging that the problem exists won't do anything. A complete restructuring is the only solution.

You could make the argument that any attempt to delay climate change at this point would cause more suffering. reducing emissions little by little will only delay the inevitable, and the further along we are, the greater the human population that will be subjected to horribly painful existence.

The point is to make denialism socially costly. Evidence should be a nonpartisan issue, and both parties want the credibility of expertise on their side.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Forever_Peace posted:

The point is to make denialism socially costly. Evidence should be a nonpartisan issue, and both parties want the credibility of expertise on their side.
There will always be someone willing to lend a veneer of respectability and authority to whatever bullshit people want to believe, because there will always be money to be made in telling people that everything will be fine, they don't have to change, and otherwise sparing them the painful dissonance of admitting that they were wrong and people they have grown to hate were right.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

There will always be someone willing to lend a veneer of respectability and authority to whatever bullshit people want to believe, because there will always be money to be made in telling people that everything will be fine, they don't have to change, and otherwise sparing them the painful dissonance of admitting that they were wrong and people they have grown to hate were right.

Seems like a great reason to visibly show the consensus.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
"Yes, but you see, if we just show people that the belief they are emotionally invested in has been deemed wrong by all these scientists and SMEs from my tribe, they will feel pressure to change their minds, rather than seek out reenforcement from their like-minded peers."

Yeah, OK, good luck with that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Did... did you somehow miss like, ALL OF THE PAST 2 YEARS? Facts are dead, the only thing that matters anymore is what you want to believe to make yourself feel good.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
loving LOL if you think a few thousand people marching along a predetermined route vetted by the local municipality and police forces is ever going to invoke meaningful change in modern society. Go ask a Venezuelan how weeks of mass peaceful demonstration is working out for them, when they are actually starving as their country collapses around them.

The idea that protest marches accomplish anything, beyond instilling a false sense of accomplishment in attendees, is the best lie ever sold to the kind of people who might otherwise invoke actual change. It's has no more impact than changing your facebook picture in TYOOL 2017, indeed it hasn't amounted to jack poo poo ever since that long past era in which the ruling class had some legitimate fear that the rabble might storm the gates and guillotine them if they did not submit to the mobs demands.

You want to change something? Form a deep underground cell, publicize your agenda, start dragging the most powerful climate change deniers into the street and loving shoot them. Nobody is ever going to take such a step in the west, pleased as we are with the relative comfort of our lives aside from a slow steady decline in living standards and placated by all our readily accessible entertainment, so you can expect to watch the world burn while squabbling over what somebody else should do to fix things.

Have fun walking for a sense of moral superiority, it has nothing to do with "science". :airquote:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'm at a march atm. Decent size

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
My tire armor is ready brother

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Rime posted:

loving LOL if you think a few thousand people marching along a predetermined route vetted by the local municipality and police forces is ever going to invoke meaningful change in modern society. Go ask a Venezuelan how weeks of mass peaceful demonstration is working out for them, when they are actually starving as their country collapses around them.

The idea that protest marches accomplish anything, beyond instilling a false sense of accomplishment in attendees, is the best lie ever sold to the kind of people who might otherwise invoke actual change. It's has no more impact than changing your facebook picture in TYOOL 2017, indeed it hasn't amounted to jack poo poo ever since that long past era in which the ruling class had some legitimate fear that the rabble might storm the gates and guillotine them if they did not submit to the mobs demands.

You want to change something? Form a deep underground cell, publicize your agenda, start dragging the most powerful climate change deniers into the street and loving shoot them. Nobody is ever going to take such a step in the west, pleased as we are with the relative comfort of our lives aside from a slow steady decline in living standards and placated by all our readily accessible entertainment, so you can expect to watch the world burn while squabbling over what somebody else should do to fix things.

Have fun walking for a sense of moral superiority, it has nothing to do with "science". :airquote:

Oh my god somebody actually gets it.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

In b4 internet tough guys who want to justify their inaction.

Wait too late.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Dead Reckoning posted:

No government is ever going to do that, because no democratic government, and a non-zero number of undemocratic ones, will survive telling a significant fraction of their population that they have to be priced out of the ability to heat their homes and buy certain foods (since an increase in the price of energy will be felt across most sectors of the economy) for the greater good, while people in other countries continue to consume recklessly.

At this point there are still solutions, but they are nearly as horrible to contemplate as the long term effects of climate change.

Agree with this 100%

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Rime posted:

Wow. I was just thinking this (except the bit about marches being useless, they're a gateway drug to greater activism). And then I thought 'holy cow, you can't post that' and then you posted that.

Then again, I live in Australia and our government is trying to give a billion dollars to a mining company so they can make one of the largest coal mines on Earth and dredge a section of the Great Barrier Reef to transport it to India where they can burn it all. Someone could assassinate the entire cabinet and there would be another row of politicians ready to give that billion dollars to make that death mine. What we need is brain washing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Rime posted:

Marches are good for recruitment, agitation, organization building and so on

Did someone argue that marches are, "one weird trick to create Utopia (oligarchs hate it!)," or something?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Blazing Zero posted:

i knew we were heading down godwin road but i didnt expect it to take this form. well done :golfclap:

Yeah, I'm ashamed of that post. But at the same time not.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I don't know about that, liberal and conservative governments survived, though barely, imposing austerity and increasing wealth disparity making life worse for millions of people across most of the democratic world. And without any existential threat, just "because of today's global competitive markets...", "according to the experts..."

What I'm saying is, making it so that today's rich come out way on top in tomorrow's sustainable society is our best bet.

Also, if people were completely locked in their views, nothing would ever happen, historical change through anything but violence wouldn't exist. There are a load of psychological reasons that make it difficult for people to abandon their beliefs, but it does happen. And people die all the time while new people grow up. It may be too slow a change and too little anyway to make a difference in the end, yeah. But resorting to violence when you are already at a disadvantage in terms of power is not a very good idea.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Marches are good for recruitment, agitation, organization building and so on

Did someone argue that marches are, "one weird trick to create Utopia (oligarchs hate it!)," or something?

what the gently caress kind of recruitment, agitation, and organization can you really accomplish at a protest that would closely resembles a silicon valley coffee shop? The Earth is burning to death and we got a bunch of people walking down the street to acknowledge the definition of burning. What's the best case scenario out of this? Trump does a 180 and accepts that climate change is real? then what? Where do we go with all this? Where the gently caress has incrementalism gotten us? People have been doing these bullshit liberal protests for years to satisfy their need to become involved and it hasn't gotten us anywhere. We are so incredibly hosed right now. and this is the best we got? Handing out DSA pamphlets to a bunch of reddit nerds?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yea, I'm a little surprised that there are people in this thread who seriously believe that anything short of what Rime posted (and even that would likely not be enough) could have any meaningful effect on climate change policy at all.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
The myth of non-violent protest is hammered in to most americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It seems so utterly childish though, it's like believing in Santa Claus or something. It's so blindingly self-evident that it's completely worthless, but a few misleading selective MLK quotes convinces entire generations of people that non-violent protest is the way to get things done?

I know you can't really blame people for the circumstances brought about by a comfortable life at the expense of the poor and the environment at large, but I still feel like anyone with access to the entirety of human knowledge at their fingertips at all times should know better.