Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh my god this is too perfect.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Nordick posted:

Hey Paradox, just in case you're planning to do a music pack DLC for Stellaris like the Sabaton thing with HoIIV and EUIV, please make a deal with Keldian. Space metal, yo.

You can thank me for this brilliant idea later.

It's got to be God is an Astronaut, c'mon.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Chomp8645 posted:

Oh my god this is too perfect.

You know what must be done.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

nessin posted:

I know there was already a post by someone about how missles are weird at the moment, but for the love of god don't go missiles. I just got totally wrecked in a way that makes no sense.

I mean, I'm fully on team Missiles Bad, but from the way you describe the situation it makes more sense than you think (though I would have to see both designs to really math this out), because:

a) Destroyers get an inherent tracking bonus as part of an anti-corvette role.
b) Antimatter missiles do like 1.5x damage over nuclear, but medium missile mounts (which destroyers can mount and corvettes cannot) do twice the damage that small mounts do, and missiles (unlike guns) don't have a tracking penalty as mounts get larger. Also, medium missiles have armor penetration and smaller ones do not, so the fact that you had armor is slightly less of an advantage.
c) Similarly, T1 medium shields are basically equivalent to T3 smalls.
d) Corvettes have half the health and half the defensive slots, so while the health points were equal across the board, your fleet spread those health points out enough that your individual ships were largely going to be at least a little less durable than his, without any sort of advantage in evading hits.
e) As you start losing corvettes faster than he does destroyers, you lose missile mounts faster than he does, your salvoes get smaller faster, and eventually you're unable to overcome PD.
f) Hilarity ensues.

That's my guess anyway. You're obviously closer to the situation than I am, but the long and the short is that destroyers are uniquely well positioned to eat corvettes' lunch, particularly with missiles, because both of these things negate corvettes' main advantage (not being able to hit them) while still having access to bigger guns that can target corvettes' biggest weakness (being made of paper).

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

In my new game I started with missiles (just to see) and my fleets are loving garbage. 2-3 attempts to clean out pirate systems, whereas with projectiles/lasers I'd be able to clean them up in one go with an equal sized fleet. I'd love missiles to be viable but it really just seems like you go projectiles or lasers (having both by the endgame) and just completely ignore missiles except maybe torpedoes once you're fighting battleships. I don't really understand what the point of them is at all.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Does anyone have a custom empire file with a ton of new empires they're using or know a good mod that has many? I use the goon one currently but it would be nice to have a lot more variety.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Lprsti99 posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887011008&searchtext=bombardment+capture

Not sure about some of the other changes, but this has that so it is doable.

Took a look and gave up after 10 minutes of staring into the darkness of spaghetti code.

It shouldn't be too hard to update bombardment to auto-capture planets without an invasion, but I'm not sure how to do it :( Anyone tried this or know of other mods that might be more helpful?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A Tartan Tory posted:

Behold, Mick Jagger, scourge of the galaxy!

Yes, this is a default name
He should always have +move

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Here's a link to the fix for Horizon Signal: What was will be.

Speaking of a loving embrace, someone made a mod which forces the Blorg to spawn every time.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Jesus there are some bad mods with high ratings on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887011008&searchtext=bombardment

I installed this mod to see how the capture-by-bombardment worked out in terms of gameplay, and after a while I wondered why one of my neighbours disappeared, so I loaded an autosave and had a look.

Light and medium bombardment capture the target colony when its HP reaches zero, full bombardment destroys it, killing all the pops. This makes every militarist AI, regardless of other governing ethics, into fanatical purifiers, because their fleets will depopulate and destroy every singly enemy colony they can reach. And nobody will be upset, because the mod author things it's weird for one species to care about the genocide of another.

Edit: the other fun part is that wiping out these colonies doesn't impart any warscore.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 21, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Something seems bugged with Mega-Engineering.

I've got Battleships, Deep Space Engineering and Zero Point Power, but the tech won't even show up in the console tech weights.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

How do the psionic ascension perks interact with species that become part of your empire after you take them? I'm currently playing as xenophile/pacifist/spiritualists who got both perks relatively fast and awakened my main species, then blobbed out of control into every bit of empty space left in the galaxy. Now I've got probably 25 or so species in my empire from migration treaties and uplifting/enlightening - are any of them going to psionically awaken at some point?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

GotLag posted:

Jesus there are some bad mods with high ratings on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887011008&searchtext=bombardment

I installed this mod to see how the capture-by-bombardment worked out in terms of gameplay, and after a while I wondered why one of my neighbours disappeared, so I loaded an autosave and had a look.

Light and medium bombardment capture the target colony when its HP reaches zero, full bombardment destroys it, killing all the pops. This makes every militarist AI, regardless of other governing ethics, into fanatical purifiers, because their fleets will depopulate and destroy every singly enemy colony they can reach. And nobody will be upset, because the mod author things it's weird for one species to care about the genocide of another.

Edit: the other fun part is that wiping out these colonies doesn't impart any warscore.

I'm pretty sure you can't affect warscore by script - I looked into it for my own bombardment mod for similar reasons but couldn't find anything.

In general, bombardment is a tricky thing to get right because implementing it in any realistic or fun way kinda fucks with the idea of having warscore in the first place (which is probably why Paradox has struggled with it, though I don't get why their tooltips are STILL lying about the effect chances for bombardment stances or why they forgot to actually finish implementing Armageddon bombardment). And then you get a lot of modders who overcompensate for this with consequence-free doomsday buttons that spout WH40K quotes at every opportunity.

In particular, if you can destroy colonies from orbit then being limited in wargoals you can pursue does not actually matter because you can wipe out any opponent in a single war if you are willing to take the time (and eat the genocide diplo-penalties, assuming you are using a mod written by someone sane).

If I wanted to implement capture-by-bombardment, I'd do it by an event where maybe a planet has a chance to surrender at some point after it hits 0, and the attacker can choose to accept it or not, and AIs would be more or less likely to accept based on ethos and the like. But when I think of doing it in any way I would find acceptable my :effort: alarm goes off and I back down to just sticking to the narrow focus of "make bombardment itself actually work"

Crazycryodude posted:

How do the psionic ascension perks interact with species that become part of your empire after you take them? I'm currently playing as xenophile/pacifist/spiritualists who got both perks relatively fast and awakened my main species, then blobbed out of control into every bit of empty space left in the galaxy. Now I've got probably 25 or so species in my empire from migration treaties and uplifting/enlightening - are any of them going to psionically awaken at some point?

Right now, badly - other species in your empire CAN psionically awaken, but the event to do so is bugged and will turn them into the primary species of the empire if you let them do so (possibly even if you do not?). This may not be a problem for Xenophiles but it might be a bit of a mindfuck.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Crazycryodude posted:

Yes. And then thanks to a bug, they will become your main species.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Dallan Invictus posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't affect warscore by script - I looked into it for my own bombardment mod for similar reasons but couldn't find anything.

In general, bombardment is a tricky thing to get right because implementing it in any realistic or fun way kinda fucks with the idea of having warscore in the first place (which is probably why Paradox has struggled with it, though I don't get why their tooltips are STILL lying about the effect chances for bombardment stances or why they forgot to actually finish implementing Armageddon bombardment).

So what does Armageddon bombardment do in its current iteration, basically just 0.6 damage to light bombardments 0.3?

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
I gotta say, I was enjoying Fanatic Purifiers but good lord are they punishing, I have been in constant war with my neighbours for over 40 years today and it's just one giant genocide filled stalemate.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Xae posted:

Something seems bugged with Mega-Engineering.

I've got Battleships, Deep Space Engineering and Zero Point Power, but the tech won't even show up in the console tech weights.
You probably need to pick up Voidborne first. If you already have it then I'm out of ideas.

quote:

Occasionally you'll get an event that lets you choose whether or not a species awakens. Dunno if they're any way to speed it up.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
I'm too poor to afford the new DLC, does the New Horizons mod provide enough new content to give me some fun from vanilla Stellaris?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Can anyone with modding experience tell me the feasibility of adding a new tech that reduced robot build costs and, more importantly, bumped robot build time up to like 1.25 per month?

Either as a late rare tech or attached to the synthetic ascension, it's the one thing that really feels off with that whole path right now. (besides the exisitng synths being slaves bug and cyborg admirals being better).

I've modded a bunch of other poo poo before, this game is a little bit more code based than most of those but I just wanted to ask before I drove into this poo poo head first.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 21, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

succ posted:

I'm too poor to afford the new DLC, does the New Horizons mod provide enough new content to give me some fun from vanilla Stellaris?

It's a total conversion so yeah, it adds a slew of content and it's a fun departure from vanilla

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
So how do you get "suffer not the alien" without winning first?

Or do you win and then get it?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mazz posted:

Can anyone with modding experience tell me the feasibility of adding a new tech that reduced robot build costs and, more importantly, bumped robot build time up to like 1.25 per month?

Either as a late rare tech or attached to the synthetic ascension, it's the one thing that really feels off with that whole path right now. (besides the exisitng synths being slaves bug and cyborg admirals being better).

I've modded a bunch of other poo poo before, this game is a little bit more code based than most of those but I just wanted to ask before I drove into this poo poo head first.

As long as modifiers for robot build cost and speed exist, it's easily doable. But I have no idea if either of these things exists in the base game, I'm only familiar with modifiers for robot maintenance and production output. If I were at my home computer I'd search for variations on "robot_" in the files in the common folder (using, like, a search program of course, I have them all loaded in Atom for this).

If they do exist then it's as easy as copying a suitably similar tech and filing off the names and serial numbers and putting the modifiers you want in.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
So what's the advantage of playing an imperial government? From what I can tell they're just dictatorships that can't choose their successors.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Jabarto posted:

So what's the advantage of playing an imperial government?

Space opera is cool.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
So you can play CK2->EU4->Vicky2->HoI4->Stellaris for a true grand strategy experience because it's good to be King.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

alcaras posted:

So you can play CK2->EU4->Vicky2->HoI4->Stellaris for a true grand strategy experience because it's good to be King.

Need to add East vs. West and some near future game like Realpolitiks between HoI and Stellaris, and add EU: Rome at the start for the full experience.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm calling in to complain. There is a distinct and very noticable lack of Psycho Murderer Wiz in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaIkxK-Ss_c

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Jabarto posted:

So what's the advantage of playing an imperial government? From what I can tell they're just dictatorships that can't choose their successors.

Basically, Imperial Cult and Authoritarian factions being pretty easy to please.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
If you have two artisan troupes in your galaxy and you blow one of them up, the other will stop communicating with you like normal. However, if you are already their patron, they will still offer to renew your patronage every ten years so you can keep the unity buff.

Not that there's any benefit to blowing up the artisans anyway, I just found this out by accident while massacring the galaxy before a win.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

GunnerJ posted:

As long as modifiers for robot build cost and speed exist, it's easily doable. But I have no idea if either of these things exists in the base game, I'm only familiar with modifiers for robot maintenance and production output. If I were at my home computer I'd search for variations on "robot_" in the files in the common folder (using, like, a search program of course, I have them all loaded in Atom for this).

If they do exist then it's as easy as copying a suitably similar tech and filing off the names and serial numbers and putting the modifiers you want in.

That's what I figured and the route I was going to take. I would think that even creating the modifier wouldn't be terribly difficult since synths are an existing pop type and growth time/cost exist for current species (assuming I can get to that stuff) although it might take a bit more trial and error.

I'll take a look when I get home in a bit, I assume I'm gonna have some syntax questions to bounce off people.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 21, 2017

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Jabarto posted:

Elections pop up a lot, the campaign promises mechanics are often not realistic and/or annoying to manage, and the whole thing eats up a fair amount of influence for picking the leader with non-poo poo stats.

Plus with Imperial, you can pick that (still bugged?) civic that gives your king two extra bonuses, which is pretty big.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

Honestly the best thing about Imperial is abusing edict cost mechanics.

-25% cost from leader skill
-20% cost from Charismatic
-33% cost from Imperial Cult
-15% cost from Synthetic Thought Patterns tech

Equals out at -93% cost to edicts, which means you can run every decent edict on every planet you need. Whether Imperial Cult is still worth more than -60% edict cost + democratic parliamentary system abuse remains to be seen though.

On that note, if I could find out where the 'iron rule' planetary modifier cropped up from...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mazz posted:

That's what I figured and the route I was going to take. I would think that even creating the modifier wouldn't be terribly difficult since synths are an existing pop type and growth time/cost exist for current species (assuming I can get to that stuff) although it might take a bit more trial and error.

I'll take a look when I get home in a bit, I assume I'm gonna have some syntax questions to bounce off people.

For what it's worth, I looked around and unless it doesn't contain the word "robot" (or I hosed up :v: ), there's no existing modifier for those things. I am not sure how well trying to do what you want through pop growth modifiers will work but I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bohemian Nights posted:

So what does Armageddon bombardment do in its current iteration, basically just 0.6 damage to light bombardments 0.3?

Yeah, just that right now. I don't know the exact numbers but the only benefit it currently gives is more damage to fortifications. If you look at the tooltip it's supposed to have the same chance of killing pops/buildings as Full does (I would have expected higher but, well...), but those chances are implemented via an event that Paradox forgot to update (and also that event doesn't even have the chances it is supposed to anyway.)

Coldbird posted:

Plus with Imperial, you can pick that (still bugged?) civic that gives your king two extra bonuses, which is pretty big.

The Philosopher King civic was fixed in 1.5.1, so no worries.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Guilliman posted:

Seriously happy with the progress of my modifer mod.

The game really needs it's own mini events like this to spice up the early game exploration. (with unique event art please...)

First few years of gameplay feel less boring this way.

The issue i have with your mod as it stands is getting those modifiers and events on dead worlds. Other than that, I really enjoy them. One set made some poor bronze age society have 0% happiness just from planet modifiers.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh so it turns out it's a real bad idea to declare war on a newly awakened FE. Who would've guessed? Having a "superior" fleet means they can field 160k fleet power to my 60k.

I fought hard and well but they crushed me in the end. Oh well I was bored anyway, time to restart :v:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

GunnerJ posted:

For what it's worth, I looked around and unless it doesn't contain the word "robot" (or I hosed up :v: ), there's no existing modifier for those things. I am not sure how well trying to do what you want through pop growth modifiers will work but I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Yeah I might hoping now that since robots are so specific a pop in game that it translates over to the files so I can play with the different growth modifiers like food surplus and tech buffs in such a way that it will only affect them. This lets me be a bit more sloppy with whatever works since it won't carry over to biological pops if I'm lucky.

Ideas for how to do it are reducing total cost from 30 to 20 wit the regular growth time techs or figuring out if I can apply the food surplus mechanic to a tech modifier/apply it to robots through surplus power. I get the feeling the latter 2 are likely a lot harder but I'll try whatever I can think of.

Of course I still don't even know where to start but that's kinda the fun part for my lizard brain.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 21, 2017

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

horizon signal is sticking with me way more then i'm comfortable with

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

horizon signal is sticking with me way more then i'm comfortable with

The worm is your friend, embrace the worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Making Rings Great Again:
Voidborne perk requirements dropped to level 3 spaceport, orbital defense stations instead of orbital fortresses
Circle of Life perk now requires only Voidborne, mega engineering is a price reduction tech
Galactic Wonders perk now requires only Mega Engineering

Also using the Utopia Expanded mod, with all megastructures adjusted to have half the cost, half the build time, and Dyson spheres have double the output.

This makes rings available earlier, and with Utopia Expanded's extra perks and techs, you can later upgrade your rings to have twice as many habitable segments, giving you 200 ideal habitability slots per system. Utopia Expanded also allows you to build level 6 factories/mines/farms on ring segments.

I'm hamstrung on releasing this for testing my Stellaris' awful modding system - is there a way to force a mod to depend on another, i.e. apply its modifications afterwards?

• Locked thread