Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Skwirl posted:

I like how the burgers all have 2 different prices.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

also it's cheaper to get burgers and fries separately

for me the killer is the size of the condiments revealing that the burgs are TINY

like sub-mcd's/bk sadburgs small

also there's a mention of a po'boy but no po'boy on the menu :psyduck:

I was assuming the second price is the meal price, and included fries and a soda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ExplodingChef posted:

Speaking of menu descriptions, had a lady bitch out one of my servers because she didn't tell her the Nashville hot chicken was spicy. The "hot" in the title on the menu is bolded, a point or two larger font, and red instead of black. The description involves the phrase "brushed with spicy oil."

the flipside of this is of course all the customers who bitch you out when you tell them it's spicy because "i already knew that, do you think i'm an idiot?"

damned if you do, damned if you don't

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Burnzzz already has a yelp review.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/burnzzz-omaha-2

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Reads like it's fake. Only review on the user's account.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Discendo Vox posted:

So... every other Yelp review?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

On the other hand, it's better-written than the menu, so...

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Seems odd that they would poo poo-talk their own fries.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Thoht posted:

Seems odd that they would poo poo-talk their own fries.

Gotta make it realistic.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

So like 2 weeks ago, I got hit by a car on my way to work on my bike. Got an appt with a lawyer tomorrow, had a concussion, possible permanent knee damage, and about $1k in damages just to my bike.

I just might be able to pay off a student loan by the end of all of this.

:( that sucks man. I've known a couple people who have been killed by bike on car accidents, glad you're at least still alive. glad also you've lawyered up.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

So I'd been unemployed for the better part of a year when I was approved for a restaurant job at a local corporation that had several restaurants/bars owned all over town. I passed the interview and they had a job lined up for me that would be full-time and benefits working for a structured organization. I'd heard negative stories about working for them, but we live in a college town full of a transient, young workforce so I didn't take the claims too seriously, and hey it's also the restaurant industry.

Every time I mentioned that I was hired there, I got the worst looks in response, usually just this grim "neutral face" from people who I respected. They were usually followed by stories they experienced or heard about the place, one of them from a workaholic former chef who's now high up at the local university where he just told me to quit and get another temp job. Another was a former co-worker from a human sausage plant where I once got in a fight with my drunken manager while on duty. He said that the three months he worked at where I just got hired were worse than the several years we worked together at our job.

I figured that I couldn't just not have a job and went to the orientation. I have a pretty clean resume despite that year of unemployment and that one shitshow I mentioned months ago (plan on having the thread up within the next few days I swear), and could probably stand to take a hit from a short-term job if I wanted to jump ship. We had to print out some 20-30 pages of forms and guidebooks ahead of time. The person who presented it to us was half an hour late (she was almost an hour late to my interview), and the orientation was two hours long. The majority of it was a history lesson, the rest being info on the various people/establishments in the corporation, followed by a list of rules that we had to follow precisely. We had to sign about 7 or 8 forms, one of them being an NDA. Then another guy who we'd just seen as the assistant GM in the Powerpoint came up to the orientation with some rant along the lines of "New hires? Well, I guess you can't be as loving stupid like this one idiot we just hired. Used his loving fake ID at the bar where he was just hired. I mean can you loving believe that?" I'm paraphrasing, but it went on and this was on the floor of one of the restaurants where customers were sitting down. This is not long after two of us were told our beards were unacceptable (mine is admittedly long and pretty bushy, but the other kid's was attractive, short, and very clean. Also cooks were not allowed facial hair whatsoever, including sideburns from what the handbook said).

I didn't start right away since I was working an office temp job, so I had weeks to just hear stories about this place when I broke down and applied to what's considered probably the best restaurant around by miles. I'd known the owner casually for years, and he is a ridiculously nice guy who'd been running a really good ship for well over a decade, putting out some of the best food I've ever eaten here or elsewhere in a casual environment and they hired me practically on the spot. This is a place I'd been applying to for well over a decade with no results. Three days before I was supposed to be working in Nightmare Land. I bit the bullet and sent out a really apologetic e-mail to the woman handling my employment to the corporation, since yeah I was in the wrong for doing this and I was unprofessional and rude and wasted her/their time, which I admitted. I got a response that was sent in the tone and form of an ex's last e-mail after a bad breakup admonishing me for what I did and what are they offering you because we had this/this/this planned for you. I still feel lovely, but I feel like I dodged a bullet and landed in pudding.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
You are more important than your job, never forget that.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Also, on allergy talk, my sister's friend had a breakup and ate a jar of peanut butter over a day and a half and she is now allergic to peanut butter. Like a doctor checked it out, said "yeah you are how does that work."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Plan Z posted:

Also, on allergy talk, my sister's friend had a breakup and ate a jar of peanut butter over a day and a half and she is now allergic to peanut butter. Like a doctor checked it out, said "yeah you are how does that work."

I used to drink a lot of ginger beer and then I started getting blotchy when I drank it. Seems to have gone away though.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Two days with two doubles again.

:nutshot:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Plan Z posted:

I didn't start right away since I was working an office temp job, so I had weeks to just hear stories about this place when I broke down and applied to what's considered probably the best restaurant around by miles. I'd known the owner casually for years, and he is a ridiculously nice guy who'd been running a really good ship for well over a decade, putting out some of the best food I've ever eaten here or elsewhere in a casual environment and they hired me practically on the spot. This is a place I'd been applying to for well over a decade with no results. Three days before I was supposed to be working in Nightmare Land. I bit the bullet and sent out a really apologetic e-mail to the woman handling my employment to the corporation, since yeah I was in the wrong for doing this and I was unprofessional and rude and wasted her/their time, which I admitted. I got a response that was sent in the tone and form of an ex's last e-mail after a bad breakup admonishing me for what I did and what are they offering you because we had this/this/this planned for you. I still feel lovely, but I feel like I dodged a bullet and landed in pudding.

Don't ever feel bad about leaving a job.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Plan Z's new job is at Burnzzz.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

My career is going to dino-SOOOOAAAAR

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Plan Z posted:

So I'd been unemployed for the better part of a year when I was approved for a restaurant job at a local corporation that had several restaurants/bars owned all over town. I passed the interview and they had a job lined up for me that would be full-time and benefits working for a structured organization. I'd heard negative stories about working for them, but we live in a college town full of a transient, young workforce so I didn't take the claims too seriously, and hey it's also the restaurant industry.

Every time I mentioned that I was hired there, I got the worst looks in response, usually just this grim "neutral face" from people who I respected. They were usually followed by stories they experienced or heard about the place, one of them from a workaholic former chef who's now high up at the local university where he just told me to quit and get another temp job. Another was a former co-worker from a human sausage plant where I once got in a fight with my drunken manager while on duty. He said that the three months he worked at where I just got hired were worse than the several years we worked together at our job.

I figured that I couldn't just not have a job and went to the orientation. I have a pretty clean resume despite that year of unemployment and that one shitshow I mentioned months ago (plan on having the thread up within the next few days I swear), and could probably stand to take a hit from a short-term job if I wanted to jump ship. We had to print out some 20-30 pages of forms and guidebooks ahead of time. The person who presented it to us was half an hour late (she was almost an hour late to my interview), and the orientation was two hours long. The majority of it was a history lesson, the rest being info on the various people/establishments in the corporation, followed by a list of rules that we had to follow precisely. We had to sign about 7 or 8 forms, one of them being an NDA. Then another guy who we'd just seen as the assistant GM in the Powerpoint came up to the orientation with some rant along the lines of "New hires? Well, I guess you can't be as loving stupid like this one idiot we just hired. Used his loving fake ID at the bar where he was just hired. I mean can you loving believe that?" I'm paraphrasing, but it went on and this was on the floor of one of the restaurants where customers were sitting down. This is not long after two of us were told our beards were unacceptable (mine is admittedly long and pretty bushy, but the other kid's was attractive, short, and very clean. Also cooks were not allowed facial hair whatsoever, including sideburns from what the handbook said).

gently caress that. Don't feel lovely you got a better opportunity. They give no fucks about you, give no fucks about them.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Goddamn ants always getting in the kitchen this time of year no matter how clean I keep the floors and walls. They don't get in the product but if you ever drop anything on the floor in the back prep area it'll be set upon in minutes. Is there anything I can maybe put in the mop water to deter them?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Republicans posted:

Goddamn ants always getting in the kitchen this time of year no matter how clean I keep the floors and walls. They don't get in the product but if you ever drop anything on the floor in the back prep area it'll be set upon in minutes. Is there anything I can maybe put in the mop water to deter them?

Spray the outside ofnthe building and the baseboards with cyzmic cs while no one is there.

Tell no one.

No bug will live.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

my favorite moroccan place in town got replaced by this
special treat for other 'straunt owners who have made their own websites :discourse:

Good to see Doobie is trying his hand at burgers

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Republicans posted:

Observe the ants and follow where they are going. Then get poison gel bait. You're gonna want to put poisoned ant bait gell OUTSIDE on their tracks, on the wall near pipe and electrical, and INSIDE near any pipes or entry sources for water (also toilets!). Do that for a week or two to get the kill, then spray-foam over any cracks in the wall near plumbing, and lay down some ant repellant spray near said cracks and entries, then spray down the thresholds and sides of any doors and windows. This may take awhile.

Or hire a GOOD exterminator that will do weekly folowups until the problem is gone. This will be expensive.

Do not use gel baits and repellants within a week of each other on the same property. If you're gonna use only one, spray repellant.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 23, 2017

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

They're probably coming in through a seam in the entrance to the walk-in, which isn't inside the building itself. I'll get some gel bait to set outside and in the floor nooks on the sides of the little ramp at the walk-in door and see if that does the trick.

On an unrelated note, is it weird I get a little jazzed when it's time to de-scale the dishwasher? It always looks so pretty inside when it's done.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I made some smoked habanero salsa that is literally painful to eat. And I can't stop eating it, send help!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Gonna need the recipe to test it for myself before I can offer any assistance :tipshat:

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
Just once I want our menu to have something actually spicy on it, but it's never gonna happen because all our customers are old white ladies who can't handle anything as spicy as black pepper.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

beanbrew posted:

Just once I want our menu to have something actually spicy on it, but it's never gonna happen because all our customers are old white ladies who can't handle anything as spicy as black pepper.

The owner gave me a worried look when I told him I put jalapeno cream cheese in the chicken flautas but relented when I told him how well they are selling.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Gonna need the recipe to test it for myself before I can offer any assistance :tipshat:

2lb habanero, 10lb roma tomato, 2 yellow onion quartered, 2 handfuls of garlic gloves. Smoke at 300F for 3 hours, blend with oil and white vinegar to taste. Salt as needed.

I really want to smoke some ghost peppers then ferment them a la Tabasco.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

2lb habanero, 10lb roma tomato, 2 yellow onion quartered, 2 handfuls of garlic gloves. Smoke at 300F for 3 hours, blend with oil and white vinegar to taste. Salt as needed.

I really want to smoke some ghost peppers then ferment them a la Tabasco.

Have you discovered the hot sauce thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639148

:getin:

(Also, that sounds interesting. How much have you made and how much have you eaten?)

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

beanbrew posted:

No joke had a lady who said tomatoes were too "spicy." We had to check since people from this area also sometimes uses the word "spicy" to just mean something they don't like. No, she said tomatoes burned her mouth.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iirc it is possible for fresh delicious tomato to be a bit sulfuric.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Well tomatoes are acidic but unless you're just letting them sit in your mouth there's no way it's gonna burn you. She probably had some marinara somewhere and got a red pepper flake caught in her teeth or some poo poo.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Oh man, just saw my medical bills from the crash, $20k so far.Glad the wife's company has amazing insurance, I'm only out 200bux!

But seriously, healthcare in America is loving stupid.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Oh man, just saw my medical bills from the crash, $20k so far.Glad the wife's company has amazing insurance, I'm only out 200bux!

But seriously, healthcare in America is loving stupid.

So far :stare:

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Probably gotta get an MRI on my knee, and if I've got any floating cartilage or damaged tedons/ligaments, surgery is probably another 20k+.

Oh, and I also need to see a neurologist per my lawyer, just in case, because of the concussion. So if there's any actual or lasting damage there, who knows what that could end up costing.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Probably gotta get an MRI on my knee, and if I've got any floating cartilage or damaged tedons/ligaments, surgery is probably another 20k+.

Oh, and I also need to see a neurologist per my lawyer, just in case, because of the concussion. So if there's any actual or lasting damage there, who knows what that could end up costing.

Don't worry, not much there to damage in the first place

In all seriousness, glad you've got good insurance and you're getting taken care of.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

*flash forward to two months from now*

"Hey I know you just left outpatient but on the other hand im very tired and we really need the coverage so can you come in anyway thanks its only 100 entrees and 100 salads this sunday"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

These doubles are killing me. Third straight week with one

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
Finally loving had it with the way my coworkers handle short staff situations with the dish pit. As of today I will never refer to the extreme asshats by name again. Only by their job description since they are nothing more than tools at a work place I have to use to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

gyrobot posted:

Finally loving had it with the way my coworkers handle short staff situations with the dish pit. As of today I will never refer to the extreme asshats by name again. Only by their job description since they are nothing more than tools at a work place I have to use to work.

just curious - have you been complaining about the same job itt for 3 1/2 years now?

• Locked thread