Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Theris posted:

The rights to E Penthouse (and to a lesser extent, the vista decks) tickets are passed down within families. You have almost no chance of getting them without working your way into the will of someone who already has them.

Yup. But they are the true God tier seats at IMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

Sounds like it's practically a lock, just needs sponsor money I suppose.

Honda Japan can chip a bit off their "bad MGU-H" budget to fund two IndyCars easily, you'd imagine.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I wonder if Mclaren and Honda of Japan would partner to build the ICS engine. We'd have a "Good Lotus vs Bad Lotus" thing going on here

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's gunna be so awesome to see Fernando in a Honda that doesn't shake itself apart.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Bentai posted:

I wonder if Mclaren and Honda of Japan would partner to build the ICS engine. We'd have a "Good Lotus vs Bad Lotus" thing going on here

Why, they already have a good one labeled 'Honda'.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

IOwnCalculus posted:

See, I don't understand this statement, because that implies it's possible to spend "too much time" there.

Well, since I don't live in Indy some sacrifices must be made in terms of actually hanging out with my friends in town. And also, Mug N Bun doesn't like it when I roll up with a small cooler of beer, so I'm forced to spend some time at the local breweries to get my fix. And then there's always time at the Slippery Noodle or Melody Inn. And other great food like Taste of Havana and... poo poo. I just talked myself into moving to Indy. poo poo.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It's just weird growing up there and seeing people actually want to go to Indianapolis to do things other than the GP and 500.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm pretty sure that three of the four Andretti cars don't have sponsors this weekend.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I assume Sato's ride is fully paid for, so it's really just 2/4, which is still not great.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

I'm pretty sure that three of the four Andretti cars don't have sponsors this weekend.

I think Sato has sponsorship from Matsushita/Panasonic in addition to being Honda's son.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Aside from FE I don't know if Takuma has ever driven anything non Honda powered.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah but im sure they would love to slap a big ol Budweiser logo across the sidepod if someone wrote em a check

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Bentai posted:

Sounds like it's practically a lock, just needs sponsor money I suppose.

I mean how long have they been without a title sponsor in f1

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

dentist toy box posted:

I mean how long have they been without a title sponsor in f1

2014, I think.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Practice 1 is about to go green and video is up for the day

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coyne testing some illegal aero:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Gotta be honest I'm loving what both of these guys are saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np9ZP9iAEtw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IysEokCscc

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3 wide for the lead in the F2000 race (on Racecontrol if you wanna watch). Love the big field for these cars, hope it keeps growing.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

3 wide for the lead in the F2000 race (on Racecontrol if you wanna watch). Love the big field for these cars, hope it keeps growing.

Yeah this USF2000 race has been pretty good, loving these new cars

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

a good note on Bourdais back up nose on the rack

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

I think Sato has sponsorship from Matsushita/Panasonic in addition to being Honda's son.

His manager is still (IIRC) "King" Hiro Matsushita, aka the owner of Swift, aka yeah that Matsushita. Doesn't surprise me. Sato's still got plenty of personal sponsors too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Watching the 1987 Phoenix race and couldn't help but laugh at Jack Arute describing this as a "bank of computers".

thisLambo
Aug 28, 2016

So... Practice 2 finished.

Marco was fastest (1:7.7134), just beating Will Power (1:07.7454).

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/04/04-21-Barber-practice-2

What a strange world

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IOwnCalculus posted:

Watching the 1987 Phoenix race and couldn't help but laugh at Jack Arute describing this as a "bank of computers".

three different shades of 80s/90s computer beige, god yes

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I miss the days when TV racing coverage consisted of 45 seconds of pre-race show.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Mid-Ohio 2000. Penske stomped the field.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

I miss the days when TV racing coverage consisted of 45 seconds of pre-race show.

Other things that make this race coverage 80s-as-gently caress:

"Two time Indy winner Rick Mears"
No pit speed limits
Three tire changes
Uncle Bobby doesn't have any grey hair
They haven't shown Sam Posey yet, but I suspect he still has eyes

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Wait why hasn't Juan Pablo gone for the Triple Crown? He just needs the Le Mans win right?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
A thought: When was the last time Alonso had to race/leave the pits under a situation where there were no tire warmers? Imagine him, exiting the pits after his first stop with cold tires…

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm imagining him driving away just fine, like all other insanely talented racing drivers.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

keevo posted:

Wait why hasn't Juan Pablo gone for the Triple Crown? He just needs the Le Mans win right?

IIRC, Team Penske was trying to buy up the Audi team in WEC.

Could have happened had they been successful.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can't imagine Audi letting anyone other than Joest Racing run their factory team.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WindyMan posted:

A thought: When was the last time Alonso had to race/leave the pits under a situation where there were no tire warmers? Imagine him, exiting the pits after his first stop with cold tires…

Lmao

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

WindyMan posted:

I'm sure his endless years of karting gave him a little bit of exposure to that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm curious how many cars a McLaren IndyCar team would have, and how this would go over.

I think the sport has a high level of interest from McLaren, Juncos, Carlin and MSR. The question would be...how do you tinker with the current rules to ensure that all of those guys can come in and stay in without perhaps ruining the Dale Coyne's of the world.

Maybe Chevy runs to Andretti, Honda sticks with Ganassi and Penske adds Idon't know...(hypothetically) a company like Mercedes to assist with getting three engine mfg's in the field to help with supply? That could be a route. My fear is upsetting Chevy or Honda in some capacity. Andretti is a good team, but it's not Penske good.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Unless Ilmor shits the bed a la late 90s Penske is using Chevrolets.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lowering the costs of running a car by 25%, like the teams are expecting after next year, will certainly help keep smaller teams around and competitive. the rules are already at a place where Coyne and SSM have won the two races this year, so likely dont need any loving with that stuff.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/the-grand-marshal-for-this-weekends-indycar-race-is-a-robot-042117

Beep boop indycar

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Another beautiful day here at Barber! Walked into the media center this morning right as the power went out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

NBC likes to tape delay live IndyCar qualifying in favor of tape delayed Ice Skating.

What a joke.

e: And I get it. But you know...it's live. They can show the drat thing live you know? I wouldn't even object to live Ice Skating pushing it as being delayed

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 22, 2017

• Locked thread