Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Little known fact: It is possible to change unit stats (like HP or defense) in an RTS after release!
Wow! :popeye:

There's a lot more wrong with the game than simple stats. The one game mode is awful. Each team has a shield generator, a turret, and a core which must be taken out in that order. There are no victory points or anything but resources to force the two sides to engage. I had a game earlier where my side was on its way to take a resource point from the enemy, but I foolishly scouted it out with a deffkopta and revealed a wraithknight. My allies stopped in their tracks and did nothing but build up their armies for the next 10 loving minutes. We had artillery! We had two morkanauts! We weren't going to lose that one. I quit out of frustration.

I have no idea why they left out the typically standard (for Relic, at least) victory points mode. There's no driving force here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Agree regarding DOW3. The interface for the game is lovely, is looks boring, there is no feedback to the player. The whole thing is kind of muted and gameplay hasn't changed since the PAX demo I played. Will not buy.

It's just a lovely RTS with ham skin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safety Factor posted:

Dawn of War 3's open beta is this weekend. After playing two games, I can definitively say I think it sucks.

My main issue is that units just loving die left and right. There's no real feedback and if you're not watching a unit constantly, it'll just die off screen because a couple of enemies sneezed at it. This is even as space marines. Guardsmen in the previous games had more staying power than these idiots.

I can deal with base building, I can deal with elite units or heroes or whatever, and I can deal without a retreat button, but the time to kill is way too low. The game is not at all what I wanted and I'm simply disappointed. DoWI and DoWII were some of my favorites and I've been on a RTS kick lately, even digging out Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2. This is just a boring mess.

I went in expecting to hate it and I kinda do but for reasons not what I expected.

All the videos I saw of DoW3 made it look like a mobile game in some way that was really hard to put my finger on. Something about the angle, the camera, the way the units moved... it looked really cheap.

Playing the beta... it plays pretty much just like DoW 1/2, so that's not really an issue. The graphics are good enough.

The camera is way too zoomed in though and you can't zoom it out, and the controls suck, and the gameplay just feels like DoW 1 but not as fast-paced.

The UI seems really un-polished and kinda cheap too... for the life of me I can't figure out how to add AI bots to the game. Are they in the beta? The game references them but then there's no possible way I can see to add them, only players...

And DoW 2 had a cool idea for how to improve on DoW 1, focusing on smaller engagements. DoW 3 is like, half of both? We have more base building but still pretty small scale :v: Its like the worst of both games.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Bots aren't in the beta, looks like they really want people to stress-test Multiplayer.

Biggest problem I'm facing with the game right now is the lack of UI feedback, I have to be constantly on the edge because the tiny blips you get on units being attacked, etc, are tiny and don't always trigger a vocal cue. Some more clear warning indicators for AoE attacks would be nice as well.

Beyond that, only real problems I'm having are small things (colour scheme selection for Marines seems broken atm, can only access 1 custom scheme) or the general stupidity of the free-to-play crowd who've just jumped on for the Beta. Between the dude who kept calling me a human being for not rescuing a small resource point from a 3-player large push, or the dude who kept bragging about his dick while he kept all his massive swarm of Orcs hiding in a corner of the map for an entire game, I'm really jonesing for those Bots already.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I think the main issue with the game is that it is poo poo.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

SteelMentor posted:

the dude who kept bragging about his dick while he kept all his massive swarm of Orcs hiding in a corner of the map for an entire game

This guy sounds awesome lmao

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

And DoW 2 had a cool idea for how to improve on DoW 1, focusing on smaller engagements. DoW 3 is like, half of both? We have more base building but still pretty small scale :v: Its like the worst of both games.

Ugh, pass then. DoW 2 was a huge step back in my opinion. The territory control and base-building of DoW 1 were much more fun for me.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

See I loved dow2 because it was like playing commandos or something and I prefer single to multi. I got a lot of mileage out of dow2.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zaphod42 posted:

The engagements aren't small, the big problem is that it gives you DoW2-level micro but in DoW1-level engagements, so it's just a clusterfuck where you have too many abilities to conceivably use, and everything's dying at Command and Conquer speeds, so you don't have time to do anything before suddenly everything's dead. You also can only reinforce at certain points like in DoW2, but there's no retreat button, so there's even more micro involved just in running away. It's seriously the worst elements of both games, and this is from someone who has nothing but love for DoW1/2. Also the base building is really shallow and adds nothing to the game.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013
The camera and playstyle seemed too MOBA-like for me when I saw some Youtubers play it, and I enjoyed both 1 and 2 for what they offered (and DoW1 was my first look at 40k). I might try it if it goes on sale, but hard pass for now sadly.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bear in the Woods posted:

The camera and playstyle seemed too MOBA-like for me when I saw some Youtubers play it, and I enjoyed both 1 and 2 for what they offered (and DoW1 was my first look at 40k). I might try it if it goes on sale, but hard pass for now sadly.

I'd say it's worth downloading the free beta right now; it's free til Monday and definitely worth trying just so you can have a more informed opinion on it. I'm glad I played the beta, even if it's not thrilling me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So I'm putting the Shadow War: Armageddon terrain together and its great, but holy poo poo GW, there's a mistake in the instructions on literally every single page.

Did somebody write these instructions while drunk, and then literally nobody at GW edited them? How does this happen?

Its not the end of the world, but I'm just gobsmacked that nobody at GW tried putting a kit together and realized "hey, loving half of these instructions have the completely wrong lables" :psyduck:

Maybe they made the instructions for a previous sprue design, moved everything around, and didn't update the instructions? No, that doesn't even account for everything. Its just straight up hosed. They put no work into the instructions. :lol:

On the upside, kit came with more ladders than I expected. Too bad I already ordered a few from a 3rd party manufacturer!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
itshappening.gif

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/22/breaking-news/

FAQ: https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/ENG_Warhammer40000-FAQ22ndApril.pdf

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

Is my army still valid?
Yes, it certainly is! You’ll still be able to use your army in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. All current armies will be supported with new rules.

Can I still use all my models?
Yes. Every Warhammer 40,000 miniature we sell today will be usable in the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. What’s more, they’ll be supported with new rules, which will be available from the get go in handy, low-cost books.

Even Forge World models?
Yes, even all of your Warhammer 40,000 Forge World models**.

Wait, did you guys blow up the universe?
Nope. This is very much still the Warhammer 40,000 setting you know and love. Now, that’s not to say we won’t see the story advance – there’s some pretty epic stuff ahead! You can certainly expect to see the story arcs that began in the recent Gathering Storm campaign books continue to unfold with plenty of exciting developments to look forward to…

How can I get the rules?
We’re going to make it easier than ever to get your hands on the rules and start playing. The core rules for the game will be free, and you’ll have several options on how you get your hands on the full rulebook. Watch this space for more.

Have you dumbed down 40K?
Not at all. We’ve made it easier for new people to enter and get to grips with the basics. At the same time, we’ve made sure you can add as much depth and complexity as you like – there’s some fantastic new gameplay elements coming. What we’ve done is reexamine every aspect of the game, and made plenty of improvements, many based on the gaming community’s feedback and suggestions. If you play today, this game is recognisably still Warhammer 40,000.

What happens to my codexes?
The rules in our current range of Warhammer 40,000 codexes aren’t compatible with the new edition of Warhammer 40,000. These books will be going off sale very soon. If you do want to pick any up, now’s the time – as all of the great hobby content and background information will be as valid as ever.

What’s in the new starter box?
A new starter box? That’d be exciting! I guess we’d fill it with some awesome new miniatures… (come on, we can’t spoil all the surprises for you!)

Are you getting rid of points?
Not at all. There will be a full points system, for use in matched play – one of three ways to play covered in the rulebook.

What do you mean “3 ways to play”?
We realise that people like to play Warhammer 40,000 in different ways. 3 broad systems are covered in the new edition: 1) Open play is the most flexible, and easiest to get started with, allowing you to use any miniatures you like. 2) Narrative play is where you can refight the iconic battles of the 41st Millennium, or create your own campaigns and sagas. 3) Matched play is designed for more balanced and competitive games, ideal for gaming clubs, leagues and tournaments. However you want to enjoy playing Warhammer 40,000, there will be rules for that.

Why should I not just stick with current Warhammer 40,000?
This is the version of Warhammer 40,000 you’ve been asking for. We’ve listened to your feedback, and we really believe that this is the best Warhammer 40,000 has ever been.

Will the rules be updated annually (ala, the General’s Handbook)?
What a great idea! We’ve had such a fantastic response to our community-led approach with the Warhammer Age of Sigmar rules updates that we’re committed to doing the same for Warhammer 40,000. You’ll be able to submit your questions and queries on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page and we’ll make sure we continue to evolve the game as feedback rolls in.

I haven’t played 40K in a while…
Welcome back! The new Warhammer 40,000 is easier to learn and quicker to play, but still has all the tactical, strategic and narrative depth you could want from a game set in the incredibly rich setting of the 41st Millennium. It’s going to be easier than ever to get started, and more fun than ever to master.

Why should I trust you?
Come on! This is New Games Workshop™
Seriously though, everything we’re talking about now is just an extension of all the community engagement work we’ve been doing over this last year and a half. We’ve learned a lot from you guys and gals, and we’ve tried really hard to make sure everything you’ve asked for is included. And if we’ve missed something? Drop us a line on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page and let us know. We’ll make sure your requests are given proper consideration.

Where can I find out more?
We’ll be running daily articles on the run up to release on warhammer-community.com. Every aspect of the new edition will be covered, from rules, to new miniatures and advancements in the setting.

I love it. I want it. When can I have it!
Really soon. You’ll be playing the new Warhammer 40,000 this year.

We’ll let you know when we have more news on an exact release date. Stay posted.
For the latest news, follow us on the Warhammer 40,000 Facebook page, or subscribe to our newsletter.

Hype

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
CHAOS, IMPERIAL and NPC XENOS

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sounds like I'm about to get shafted and I'm not sure why.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

JBP posted:

Sounds like I'm about to get shafted and I'm not sure why.

If GW don't do it I'm sure Moola can come to your house.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
It really does seem like they're starting to make a game that actually supports selling their models rather than requiring customer buy a bunch of overpriced books & accessories just because. They're running with the best aspects of AoS and seemingly listening to feedback on rules & balance.

Definitely looking forward to this.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
This is a good thing for 40k and I'm really excited

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
I absolutely want to support a company that unironically has "Why should I trust you?" as a FAQ.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Also lol that they still want you to buy the books that no longer apply to the game.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

I absolutely want to support a company that unironically has "Why should I trust you?" as a FAQ.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Texmo posted:

I admit I laughed at that response.

But still, I'm keen on this. Very keen.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Texmo posted:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Thundercloud posted:

If GW don't do it I'm sure Moola can come to your house.

That's boned, not shafted. Subtle differences.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Look at the model on the right page.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It was just a conversion :allears:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
This is super cute:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Tentatively excited. Seems like we're getting the good lessons learned from AoS

TTerrible posted:

These look like they're the same size as the Deathwatch dudes

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This is super cute:

Tyranids relegated to background material confirmed.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
So the faction page doesn't have a separate listing for skitarii and instead they are listed in the ad mech description. Is it an oversight or have they really combined them?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

the moose posted:

So the faction page doesn't have a separate listing for skitarii and instead they are listed in the ad mech description. Is it an oversight or have they really combined them?

They probably consider them the same faction, given that they Broke Ynnari Eldar out as a separate Eldar faction

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

It really does seem like they're starting to make a game that actually supports selling their models rather than requiring customer buy a bunch of overpriced books & accessories just because. They're running with the best aspects of AoS and seemingly listening to feedback on rules & balance.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Seconded!

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

the moose posted:

There was a long rumor that a new book would come that combined both and added new units (including a flyer). Maybe they decided against it until now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There was a magical moment of silence in my store when someone announced the news. Followed by a mix of panic and excitement.

Everything they've said sounds good. Like a wishlist of things people have been asking for forever.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
All of these are adorable

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

TTerrible posted:

They don't really look like that one converted model. Much smaller, that dude was more like a Terminator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'm the Cheetos-cron. :allears:

They should really just give the Eagle Ordinary lass a staff job at this point.

• Locked thread