Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
off the top of my head those tournaments had the freire brothers, douglas lima, michael chandler, eddie alvarez, ben askren, cole konrad, will brooks, pat curran all putting on great performances. and joe warren's journey to cracking his iron chin in the space of like five fights was fun. plus they brought in marlon sandro and aoki to get crushed. they put a bunch of prospects together and shook out a load of good fighters.

whereas coker's bellator featured antediluvian ken shamrock getting kneed in his withered balls by goblin king royce gracie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I cared way more about some of the events when it was a semifinal and final. You wanted to see your pick progress on through the tournament.

I think WSOF, with some additional talent, could put on some solid tournaments. The big issue is, do they do one or two tournaments at a time like Bellator did or do they have all 7 tournament brackets go on simultaneously with each event full of tournament matches. I think they would be better off doing one or two tournament brackets at a time to avoid overload.

Speaking of tournaments, and talking about Z-League MMA, here in Korea ROAD FC have started their trials matches for their lightweight tournament called "Road to A-Sol." What is "A-Sol" you may ask? A Sol Kwon is the name of the current LW champion and the winner of the tournament will face him in a title match and also (as far as I can tell) be able to win $1 Million. It has some semi-notable names in the form of Yui Chul Nam who fought in the UFC and was supposed to have ex-Bellator fighter Mike Brounzoulis but he pulled out for some reason.

The event I went this past weekend had these matches which were all pretty good.

Tom Santos vs Yui Chul Nam
Munguntsooj Nandin-Erdene vs Bruno Miranda
Mansour Barnaoui vs. Won Bin Ki
Khuukhenkhuu Amartuvshin vs. Lianru Shang

Full event video, including the Young Guns (basically amateur/semi-pro fights) is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SeJV13iFiw

Main event stuff starts at 3:05:00

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 19, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Foul Fowl posted:

off the top of my head those tournaments had the freire brothers, douglas lima, michael chandler, eddie alvarez, ben askren, cole konrad, will brooks, pat curran all putting on great performances. and joe warren's journey to cracking his iron chin in the space of like five fights was fun. plus they brought in marlon sandro and aoki to get crushed. they put a bunch of prospects together and shook out a load of good fighters.

whereas coker's bellator featured antediluvian ken shamrock getting kneed in his withered balls by goblin king royce gracie

I think we can agree that the ideal promotion would have both a million tournaments and Ken Shamrock getting kneed in his withered balls.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Kurohashi and I were talking about this sort of idea a long time ago as a method to disrupt UFC, or at least have potentially viable competitor. Basically you'd have old-Bellator style tournaments with big money prizes for winning the tournaments. I think Bellator maxed out at like 100k for winning and that wasn't going to be enough to lure any decent UFC fighters away, but if you could get a bit more than that then maybe you'd have a chance. It depends on how many people compete in these tournaments so we can see how far that $10 million will go, but it's a fun idea and I'd like to see what happens.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
https://twitter.com/SBNLukeThomas/status/854736807380094977

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Tournament Bellator was cool, tournaments in MMA are cool, but due to injuries and how infrequent the cards were Bellator would sometimes have 3 tournament winners all waiting for their title shot. Dave Jansen immediately comes to mind he won a tournament and had to wait around 2 years for his title shot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Tournament Bellator was cool, tournaments in MMA are cool, but due to injuries and how infrequent the cards were Bellator would sometimes have 3 tournament winners all waiting for their title shot. Dave Jansen immediately comes to mind he won a tournament and had to wait around 2 years for his title shot.

That problem is easily solved by starting up with 8-man initial tournaments and then giving the defending champion a first-round bye or a first-round match against the 8th-seeded fighter instead of having any separate title.

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Also elbows were banned in tournament fights due to injury concerns, but I like elbows

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I also like elbows

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sage Northcutt's sister (4-1 as an amateur) will make her pro debut June in LFA

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/21/15385912/colbey-northcutt-sages-sister-set-to-make-pro-mma-debut-in-june

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

What the gently caress

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Rigel posted:

Sage Northcutt's sister (4-1 as an amateur) will make her pro debut June in LFA

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/4/21/15385912/colbey-northcutt-sages-sister-set-to-make-pro-mma-debut-in-june

I hope she's exactly like Sage.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

She is... shes retarded

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

she is . you can see for yourself in the picture

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

lmao

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I.N.R.I posted:

she is . you can see for yourself in the picture

Haha, haha, thanks Mr. I.N.R.I!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
She's got moonface like a mofo.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

April 23, 2017 - Starts at 1500 in Japan (0200 Eastern)

Pancrase 286 on UFC Fight Pass (https://www.ufc.tv/video/pancrase-286)

Lightweight: Takasuke Kume vs Matija Blazicevic^*
Bantamweight: Kenta Takizawa vs Shuichi Kanda
Featherweight: Isao Kobayashi vs Marko Burusic*
Welterweight: Takashi Sato vs Anton Radman*
Flyweight: Shohei Masumizu vs Takeshi Kasugai
Featherweight: Koyomi Matsushima vs Yojiro Uchimara
Strawweight: Daichi Kitakata vs Ryo Hatta
Lightweight: Genpei Hayashi vs Yusaku Inoue
Bantamweight: Kosuke Terashima vs Nobuki Fujii
Featherweight: Kyosuke Yokoyama vs Suguru Nii
Flyweight: Toru Ogawa vs Alex Okabe
Welterweight: Yuta Nakamura vs Hiroyuki Tetsuka

* = Team Pancrase vs Team Cikatic match

^ = Kume is the Lightweight King of Pancrase but I can't find any solid info if this match is for the LW championship.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 22, 2017

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I don't know names good. Perez/Martinez on LFA just now was extremely good. There was a simultaneous knockdown and a samoan drop and something Pat Miletich insisted is a "banana split."

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
As in Branko Cikatic? He's still alive?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The target audience for Pancrase shows is apparently people to whom Branko Cikatic is a relevant name. I'm glad Joe Silva put them on fight pass.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I hope they make Bader Vs Davis the ppv lead in fight and nobody buys it as a result

getting closer to being a loving stupid reality

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/855515744729264129

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Chandler's a warrior, world champion and he's only been getting better, but I think it's a little early for him to be fighting for the All-Spark.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Am I the only one who see's that lineup and goes "meh"?

Lima/Larkin is good, Chandler is fun to watch but the rest is rather lack luster.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 22, 2017

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Dan Didio posted:

Chandler's a warrior, world champion and he's only been getting better, but I think it's a little early for him to be fighting for the All-Spark.

primussucks

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Les is 53 years old. Even with the rest of the band I don't like their chances against Chandler.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Unfunny Poster posted:

Am I the only one who see's that lineup and goes "meh"?

Lima/Larkin is good, Chandler is fun to watch but the rest is rather lack luster.

It's just you, 7 billion people on earth definitely want to pay 50 dollars to see Fatt Shitrione

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

It's just you, 7 billion people on earth definitely want to pay 50 dollars to see Fatt Shitrione

Oh ok good to know it's just me.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
lima/larkin probably makes that card worth not spoiling before you illegally download it the day after. and chandler will probably beat the poo poo out of that guy he's fighting.

as far as i know mitrione is still quite good at punching so maybe the slightly less objectionable lump of poo poo will win.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i still think the first alvarez/chandler fight is the best brawl in mma history. and should not have been overshadowed by henderson/shogun which was much worse.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

i'd never heard of pico or freeman so i did some googling and it looks like this is pico's first mma fight and he is a pretty decorated wrestler, vs freeman who is a bjj guy. there's real potential for this fight to suck and i dont know why they're having it kick off the ppv.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I have so many emotions right now.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Did anyone else see Miguel Falcao get horribly hosed up in a super late stoppage last night? I feel like this just happened to him in his last fight but it may be the same fight I'm thinking about and I just now saw it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

i'd never heard of pico or freeman so i did some googling and it looks like this is pico's first mma fight and he is a pretty decorated wrestler, vs freeman who is a bjj guy. there's real potential for this fight to suck and i dont know why they're having it kick off the ppv.

I think he's kicking off the PPV because Pico signed with Bellator in like 2013 and, as you said, has never fought, so it might be a "just loving do something, kid"

Also, he trains with the same lunatic that makes Werdum do kicking leg presses on a bosu ball and poo poo

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

Biodome posted:

Did anyone else see Miguel Falcao get horribly hosed up in a super late stoppage last night? I feel like this just happened to him in his last fight but it may be the same fight I'm thinking about and I just now saw it.

I did and that would have been terrible had it happened to anyone else.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I think the stoppage was fine.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

I think he's kicking off the PPV because Pico signed with Bellator in like 2013 and, as you said, has never fought, so it might be a "just loving do something, kid"

Also, he trains with the same lunatic that makes Werdum do kicking leg presses on a bosu ball and poo poo

if anything in that fight happens except a takedown and laying in the bjj guy's guard for three rounds, i'll be surprised

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Kai Kara-France from last year's TUF just got his second KO victory over $fighter_not_found in two months, last month was in Australia and this one was China. He's angling for a slot on the Auckland UFC card, which would be awesome for him because that's his home town.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMNwVqj7YW/

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Memento posted:

Kai Kara-France from last year's TUF just got his second KO victory over $fighter_not_found in two months, last month was in Australia and this one was China. He's angling for a slot on the Auckland UFC card, which would be awesome for him because that's his home town.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTMNwVqj7YW/

that's great. he's a dude with a watchable style and i hope they give it to him. he poo poo the bed on tuf though, he really phoned in that fight he lost and dana obviously hated him for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Pancrase 286 is on Fight Pass, and there's been some pretty badass knockouts so far.