Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Forcing the enemy team to concede after you had terminators and a drop pod dread wade through their army that lacked anti tank is pretty damned fun I must say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Download should be done in about 20 minutes. Anyone want to get some 2s or 3s going?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Played my first 3v3. Man my brain couldn't handle that much info. But lol at no one expecting my full regiment of boyz, shootas, and knobz to be hiding in the stealth terrain right next to a boyz shop.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Nasgate posted:

Took me an entire match to realize you have to build multiple waagh towers to upgrade dem boyz tech. Cant wait to crush some humies.

You and me both. Im the guy the other guy posted about just standing around in base doing gently caress all.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I wish the army painter was more customizable so I could create a truly disgusting patchwork of bright shiny colors.

I played two 1v1s and a 3v3 so far. I won both 1v1s by just running to capture all the points asap and regrouping once I ran into the enemy. The 3v3 had so much poo poo everywhere i never really knew what was happening and no one talked the whole game we just kind of all did our own thing. I built off to one side and was little help most of the game until I killed the enemy base while they were in the middle a giant fight with my teammates. Are resources shared or do we just all get 1/3 of what's gathered?

Seems a lot more like dawn of war one than two.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
After 10 minutes I took the middle resource node in 3v3 that enemy scout had captured but there were no resource nodes built or a listening post. No one knows what they're doing and it's great.

Anyone know if waagh towers buff allies? Spam building them is already good for defense and tech both. Also everyone's strategy seems to be "get 9 elite points" even in 1v1 so far.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I had my first real win with the orcs. (The eldar opponent sucked, but at least he did not give up upon losing his elite.) Gorgutz did good and the Morkonaut did well upon me summoning it for end game. (After my tank busters had done all the work.

Twas a fun experience.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Are Ork Kommandos in this one at all? Or is Spookums spirit forever gone?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I can't find a match and there doesn't seem to be a skirmish mode for me to look at the game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I can't find a match and there doesn't seem to be a skirmish mode for me to look at the game.
Nope! There's no AI skirmish option, even in custom games. Hope you like figuring out what everything does in live multiplayer matches.

I just had a match that really drove home why this new game mode (shield, turret, core) sucks. Both teams just sat around building poo poo after mid-game and never engaged at all. When my side was about to head over to a point and try to fight, I sent a deffkopta over to scout it out only to find it was full of eldar, marines, and a wraithknight. My allies saw this and just stopped cold. They then sat around with their thumbs up their asses and refused to move since they were afraid of a counter attack. The enemies did the same. I quit after 10 minutes of this bullshit.

With unlimited resources, there's nothing really driving the players to attack the opponents shield, turret, and core other than the basic desire to win. Capture points, like in DoWII, kept the game going because players HAD to engage or lose the match. This poo poo just leads to a stalemate that isn't fun for anyone.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Just played my first 1v1, as space marines against eldar. My opponent seemed scared to go take resource points and also didn't really use the cover system or the concealment places. I'm completely new to multiplayer RTS stuff, but it was almost too easy. Even still, I did kind of like how the game felt. It does mix and match elements from the first two games, and it creates this really good feeling of momentum. Like at one point in the match I overextended a bit, after killing a turret, and he killed my whole army. He launched a counterattack and started trying to kill my listening posts. While he wasted time doing that, I built two devastators and picked off his hover tank thing, and started pumping out infantry to send at him. He moved to engage my forces... and my Imperial Knight whatever-her-name-is became available. I plopped her down behind his army and activated her "deploy and kill the poo poo out of everything in this arc" move that wiped out his army.

After that I built up my forces, took on the remaining turret while he pushed his army into the other part of the map, and won the game while clicking every power and drop pod and whatever the hell else I could find. It was definitely fun, even though I know I was terrible.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

Nope! There's no AI skirmish option, even in custom games. Hope you like figuring out what everything does in live multiplayer matches.

Yeah I just did that and quit in about five minutes because the map was dominated and I was being pulled apart while trying to understand what the buttons do.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Dandywalken posted:

Are Ork Kommandos in this one at all? Or is Spookums spirit forever gone?

There is a Kommando Nob as one of the Ork elites in the full game, but I don't think it's in the beta.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Safety Factor posted:

I just had a match that really drove home why this new game mode (shield, turret, core) sucks. Both teams just sat around building poo poo after mid-game and never engaged at all. When my side was about to head over to a point and try to fight, I sent a deffkopta over to scout it out only to find it was full of eldar, marines, and a wraithknight. My allies saw this and just stopped cold. They then sat around with their thumbs up their asses and refused to move since they were afraid of a counter attack. The enemies did the same. I quit after 10 minutes of this bullshit.

With unlimited resources, there's nothing really driving the players to attack the opponents shield, turret, and core other than the basic desire to win. Capture points, like in DoWII, kept the game going because players HAD to engage or lose the match. This poo poo just leads to a stalemate that isn't fun for anyone.

If they have a huge army camping on a point... attack another point? Bombard them with artillery units? Even having one resource node more than your opponents will generate a very strong advantage with time.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fetterkey posted:

If they have a huge army camping on a point... attack another point? Bombard them with artillery units? Even having one resource node more than your opponents will generate a very strong advantage with time.
We had all of those options and instead everyone just sat. Both teams. Mine even had a resource advantage and wouldn't engage because the enemy had a wraithknight. We had two morkanauts! There's no driving force here. No constant chipping away or time limit or points tally to worry about. I sincerely think this game would be improved by simply adding an alternate game mode with victory points like DoWII. Why they left such a simple thing out mystifies me.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Safety Factor posted:

We had all of those options and instead everyone just sat. Both teams. Mine even had a resource advantage and wouldn't engage because the enemy had a wraithknight. We had two morkanauts! There's no driving force here. No constant chipping away or time limit or points tally to worry about. I sincerely think this game would be improved by simply adding an alternate game mode with victory points like DoWII. Why they left such a simple thing out mystifies me.

I fairly certain there will be an alt game mode. As Game mode is one of the things listed under finding matchs.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Safety Factor posted:

One would think the driving force would be "winning the game", since you never win if you never do anything. I guess you never lose, either, but....

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Attacking a diffrent less defended point is still something you can do even alone.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm probably not going to buy this until it's on sale. I got the beta to check it out and see if I like it more than I did at PAX, but I just get reamed and can't work out the game at my own pace before playing a vs game.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

Attacking a diffrent less defended point is still something you can do even alone.
Tried it. My allies wouldn't budge.

It basically boils down to I had a lovely team, but it revealed some issues with the standard game mode that I'm not too happy about.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Whelp in team matches I've discovered that ork artillery and anti-vehicle boyz win games that go late rather handily since all the big elites are vehicles, 5 artys in long range mode, 4 Rokkit boyz, and 6 tank Bustaz took out the Space Marine gaint thing real quick. Though I'm not sure what the minimum is to take out turrets which stagnated the game for a while even though I murdered their first generator with my first 3 Boyz.

What's the red resource that seems to limit unit production? Is there a cap on queued units? I had like 2k each of resource and power and only 100/250 pop used and it wouldn't let me build units.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Welp, after playing this I discovered I'm still really bad at RTS. Controlling more than a few units is really hard to me, I can't dodge the Eldar grenades that gently caress me up and other skills. I'll just go back to playing MOBAs again.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Safety Factor posted:

Tried it. My allies wouldn't budge.

It basically boils down to I had a lovely team, but it revealed some issues with the standard game mode that I'm not too happy about.

I mean, teams sitting on their hands because they're too afraid to attack happened a lot in pug games in DoW2 as well. I had a number of games end because one team felt like they couldn't breach a defense around a VP so they just sat on their hands until the timer almost finished and then threw their armies away on a useless last minute suicide charge.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

I mean, teams sitting on their hands because they're too afraid to attack happened a lot in pug games in DoW2 as well. I had a number of games end because one team felt like they couldn't breach a defense around a VP so they just sat on their hands until the timer almost finished and then threw their armies away on a useless last minute suicide charge.
That's my point. A stalemate naturally ended thanks to the victory conditions in DoW2. That doesn't happen here, it just drags.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

On the other hand, I've had plenty of boring anticlimactic DoW/CoH games where people don't really make a move for the VPs and slowly run out of gas. This method at least ensures there will be some kind of big climactic battle.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
The maps are all grey metal industrial world and the invisibility smoke things blend in. I'm sure with practice I'd get used to it but one of the eldar elites has a move to teleport to them and I had to squint and frantically try to figure out if that was the right magic smoke or just normal smoke.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Comrayn posted:

The maps are all grey metal industrial world and the invisibility smoke things blend in. I'm sure with practice I'd get used to it but one of the eldar elites has a move to teleport to them and I had to squint and frantically try to figure out if that was the right magic smoke or just normal smoke.

I think that is the same map. Cause there are three maps from what I have seen. A Rocky world, the industrial world, and the snow world.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Fetterkey posted:

Vehicle upgrades are a good requisition sink, as are listening posts on non-forward points (especially since T2 unlocks a lot more harassment options).

Another thing I've found surprisingly good is to pop out a couple forward production structures on a mid-range point. Buildings are generally pretty cheap and that saved travel time can really build up momentum, especially as orkz. Put down a forward waaagh tower and you're laughing against most of the foes I've fought online.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think that is the same map. Cause there are three maps from what I have seen. A Rocky world, the industrial world, and the snow world.

Ive definitely got the same one every time in one on one and from memory I think the one of each two on two and three on three games I played were the same tileset.

gently caress magic smoke it's a stupid game mechanic and hopefully this is the last game to copy it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Comrayn posted:

Ive definitely got the same one every time in one on one and from memory I think the one of each two on two and three on three games I played were the same tileset.

gently caress magic smoke it's a stupid game mechanic and hopefully this is the last game to copy it.

Each game mode has a different map for now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does anyone have any tips for fighting against massed Eldar snipers as Eldar? The rangers move faster than any of the other units and the spotting with the builder unit suuuucks.

I'm having issues because I've played a few matches where someone would just stutter-step with several squads of rangers and melt anything that I threw at them. I got lucky with the Storm once, but hey, they are faster than that too.

E. Talking about 3v3s here

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I got my rear end kicked by a bunch of sniper scouts as eldar in 1v1 and I don't really know what I should have done to counter them. I had a mix of avengers and banshees but he had a couple squads up on a ledge and I couldn't close the distance and from there it's a slow attrition from territory advantage.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I was doing really well during my first few games but now I keep losing and losing and losing. 1v1 really does have a problem with snowballing- If you lose a fight or two badly enough at the beginning of the match it can be really hard to make up. What are other people doing for their early game as Space Marines?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Does anyone have any tips for fighting against massed Eldar snipers as Eldar? The rangers move faster than any of the other units and the spotting with the builder unit suuuucks.

I'm having issues because I've played a few matches where someone would just stutter-step with several squads of rangers and melt anything that I threw at them. I got lucky with the Storm once, but hey, they are faster than that too.

E. Talking about 3v3s here

They're stone cold useless against heavy armour so fire prisms are your best bet outside of elites.

Elites wise the wraith Lord charge and macha's spear throw will evaporate them.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

I was doing really well during my first few games but now I keep losing and losing and losing. 1v1 really does have a problem with snowballing- If you lose a fight or two badly enough at the beginning of the match it can be really hard to make up. What are other people doing for their early game as Space Marines?

Don't lose the fight essentially, disengage. More helpfully though your typical marine first fight is 2 tacs in field and 1 sitting in the drop pod, throw down your banner and drop the squad on the bulk of their army, the banner will save you from too many losses.
If you micro correctly and win the fight then immediately move up and burn down any Req generators you see which cripples them, if the fight starts to go south you need to have built a listening post in the mid field to fall back to, the gun on that will either drive them off so you can reinforce or kill them if they're bad.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I'm having a hard time actually selecting individual units to use abilities. I swear every time I have a group of guys with grenades selected it deselects the squad as soon as I choose a spot to throw the grenade. Not to mention trying to select individual squads to use certain abilities is almost impossible to do in the middle of a fight.

Is there anything to help with this? Tab seems to just cycle through all units on the battlefield, and not the ones selected.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I actually like it more than I thought I would but it's hard to stomach the purchase knowing I'll have to wait and pay like 30 extra for whatever expansion brings Chaos in. Guess it's the waiting game for me.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
My favorite part is squinting real hard to see the tiny, desaturated unit portraits at the bottom of the screen and trying to figure which dude's which.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I want to like it as a return to DOW I style, but I'm not sure about getting my poo poo pushed in guaranteed before I have a chance at victory. An AI Skirmish mode to find out what all the units do before jumping into the meat grinder would be good. Sure the Codex is there, but that doesn't give as good of an impression as experience does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Both 3v3s I was in had huge periods where no one was doing anything, and I was in a losing game and winning game but it was weird. If you have the advantage I guess we wanted to milk the resources, and we just kinda turtled in the other game since attacking one of their points was a meat grinder. If you were going to make up a squad (say from Space Marines) to bust a point what it would look like?

1v1 does seem super snowball-y which hopefully is more indicative of bad map? In my earlier games I threw my first 2-3 squads away and realized how slow resource gathering was and then died. Next few games I was a lot more cautious and small victories rapidly compounded after only a couple fights and he couldn't take any points away from me.

And for space marines the unit distinction is basically impossible to discern, which also compounds when you get into a late-game high unit count. I kinda just a-move everything and rapidly tab through using w/e abilities I can. And the maps are pretty drat monotonous and boring visually speaking. I'll try out orkz tomorrow which I hope provides a more fun change of pace.

• Locked thread