Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Balon posted:

Any tips on the prerelease tonight? 2HG at my LGS and I haven't studied the spoilers.

Hope to open Cut//Ribbons which has the magic 2HG ruining text 'each opponent loses X life'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Balon posted:

Any tips on the prerelease tonight? 2HG at my LGS and I haven't studied the spoilers.

your new keywords are Exert (when you attack with a creature, you can exert it, it will get a bonus effect but not untap during your next untap step) and Embalm (creature based flashback, but they're white zombie creature token versions of themselves). almost all embalm cards are good, cycling is always good.

red black have heckbent synergy, if you go those colors your payoffs are having a handsize 1 or less

blue green synergy is just steady ramp and card advantage, you should be trying to win with big blue flyers or fat green cards

black green payoffs are any time you put -1/-1 counters on stuff

black blue payoffs are cycling and self discard. scarab nest and the drake nest one can unravel quickly if you're in this strategy.

white and blue, and white and black to a lesser degree, is the tokens colors.

white and red is the exert strategy. there are also avenues that allow your creatures to untap.

green white seem to just be consistent creature curve. there isn't a particular standout synergy here aside from a couple of tokens and some life gain. there is cat tribal synergy here but it is a little hard to attain.

red green is normal stompy trample stuff. standard fare here.

blue red is the typical spells/prowess archetype here but it isn't particularly strong because of how costed most of the instants and sorceries are. this is a color combo with a poor payoff.

black white is all about zombies and the support for it in limited here is really strong, especially with white embalmed cards. for color combos this is probably tier one for draft decks because its so easy to jam into this archetype.

most of the trials and cartouche enchantments are good and synergize well. the black and red monument artifacts are bad but the other ones are good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tales of Woe posted:

Hope to open Cut//Ribbons which has the magic 2HG ruining text 'each opponent loses X life'

does this work the way it sounds? i feel like it cant

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

its me glenda posted:

does this work the way it sounds? i feel like it cant

It does and it is also one of the things that made surged Fall of the Titans pretty dumb in 2HG. Ok it's not exactly the same but it works for a similar reason.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

haha wow

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I'm glad Heckbent is catching on as slang for 1-or-fewer cards in hand.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Quick rules question on cycling. So, some cards say "When X is cycled, do Y." Does the "Do Y" happen before or after the card is drawn? Here's the rules text I found that gives me pause:

quote:

702.28c Some cards with cycling have abilities that trigger when they’re cycled. “When you cycle [this card]” means “When you discard [this card] to pay a cycling cost.” These abilities trigger from whatever zone the card winds up in after it’s cycled.

This implies to me that the "Do Y" happens before I draw the card. For example, suppose I cycle Shefet Monitor. I *think* the correct sequence of events is this following:

1. Pay the cycling cost
2. Shefet Monitor hits the bin
3. Search for a land happens
4. You shuffle your library
5. You draw a card

Is that right?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Quick rules question on cycling. So, some cards say "When X is cycled, do Y." Does the "Do Y" happen before or after the card is drawn? Here's the rules text I found that gives me pause:

This implies to me that the "Do Y" happens before I draw the card. For example, suppose I cycle Shefet Monitor. I *think* the correct sequence of events is this following:

1. Pay the cycling cost
5. You draw a card

Is that right?

Right. The ability triggers on cycling being activated and put on the stack, and is thus put on the stack above it and resolves first. Whatever triggers off of cycling will resolve before cycling's own Draw A Card.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Right. The ability triggers on cycling being activated and put on the stack, and is thus put on the stack above it and resolves first. Whatever triggers off of cycling will resolve before cycling's own Draw A Card.

i thought you could order cycle triggers anyway you wanted, like with that green card that gets a land from deck when cycled, you could draw the card before getting the land if you wanted

now why you'd want to i don't know but hey options

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

1. Pay the cycling cost
5. You draw a card

Is that right?

The card says you search for the land before you draw. http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Shefet+Monitor

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
actually now that scry is evergreen there are reasons to draw the card first if you know you want it. cool only took me way too long to figure that out

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

maro was right, we do ignore reminder text when we think we know what it says lol :sweatdrop:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

whoops

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You can pay for abilities after actually activating the abilities, so does that mean you can pay for Tinder Wall's ability with Tinder Wall itself?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/MelissaDeTora/status/855453167865053184

After all this time she just now becomes a full employee? Wotc is a poo poo company.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Second opportunity from what?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

mandatory lesbian posted:

You can pay for abilities after actually activating the abilities, so does that mean you can pay for Tinder Wall's ability with Tinder Wall itself?

You can't sacrifice TInder Wall twice, so that doesn't work.

If that weren't an issue, though -- say, if you wanted to activate Epitaph Golem's ability and needed to sacrifice Epitaph Golem itself to Ashnod's Altar in order to do so -- then I think that would be legal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JerryLee posted:

They let her go a year or so ago, and took her back in a few months later.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You can't sacrifice TInder Wall twice, so that doesn't work.

If that weren't an issue, though -- say, if you wanted to activate Epitaph Golem's ability and needed to sacrifice Epitaph Golem itself to Ashnod's Altar in order to do so -- then I think that would be legal.

Ah yeah, second time not reading the card has got me tripped up today, what the hey

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I'm really excited for the midnight pre-release. This set looks fun as hell. Cycling is just the best mechanic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

JerryLee posted:

She got cut the first time for budget reasons.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
She signed up for an internship where at the scheduled end of the internship there was not the headcount to hire her even if they wanted to.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Thanks for the clarification. Normally when I hear "given a second opportunity," I parse that as "hosed up the first time."

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Thanks for the clarification. Normally when I hear "given a second opportunity," I parse that as "hosed up the first time."

Wasn't her first fuckup marrying Frank Lepore, or was that someone else?

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Okay, enlighten me: What's so bad about Frank Lepore? Because I still watch his poo poo.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Oh wow Moeller did a lot of notable Lorwyn stuff.

Notably, Pestermite and Sower of Temptation.

He is also noted for things that terrify me, such as Just the Wind. :tinfoil:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 22, 2017

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Veyrall posted:

Okay, enlighten me: What's so bad about Frank Lepore? Because I still watch his poo poo.

According to the evidence that FL has fought really hard to cover up, he was cheating on MDT with a bunch of other women at tournaments, claiming love at first sight and copy and pasting the same messages to multiple women. After the guy that broke the story posted, several women corroborated.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Veyrall posted:

He is a magic player

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Angry Grimace posted:

He is a magic player

Wow, that's hosed up

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I find him insufferable and don't think he has anything interesting to say.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
frank lepore is a herb rear end bitch

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

The best thing he ever did was drop to 1 life.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rinkles posted:

Yeah, he's a magic player, we JUST covered this.

In all honesty, knowing he's a creeper who cheats on people has made me just ignored his videos. Also, his voice isn't great for narration.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My pool is 2 Archfiend of Ilfinir and 2 UB cycling lands. Promo is the black curse - bleh.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

The Sexual Shiite posted:

According to the evidence that FL has fought really hard to cover up, he was cheating on MDT with a bunch of other women at tournaments, claiming love at first sight and copy and pasting the same messages to multiple women. After the guy that broke the story posted, several women corroborated.
Well, that's really not my business...

Angry Grimace posted:

He is a magic player
Well, we all have our faults...

80s James Hetfield posted:

frank lepore is a herb rear end bitch
I don't know what this means but you've finally convinced me!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I remember playing against Melissa de Toro in Providence, RI FNMs. I lost.
:shobon:

Edit: Am I correct that you can't withdraw from limited league queues in MTGO and get your product back? I've tried and it doesn't immediately return to my collection the way it used to and it's really frustrating considering it hasn't fired in 30 minutes.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

So during some early testing, I'm thinking As Foretold may be a really good card in UW Control if it continues to gain traction. being able to leave up tons of mana, or being able to tap out while still having counters live during your opponent's turn is super valuable. It can even let you Ancestral Vision immediately for free the same turn it comes out.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Balon posted:

My pool is 2 Archfiend of Ilfinir and 2 UB cycling lands. Promo is the black curse - bleh.

The black curse doesn't seem bad to me and LSV gave it a good review in his set review iirc

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

So this box was alright. One NO is foil.

The draft was a lot of fun too. We only had 6 people but it worked. P1P1 Urborg Uprising, then get 3 elves in a row and get cut super hard, ending up with a lot of blue by the end of the pack when a Deep Analysis wheels. P2P1 Braids over some other cards that weren't Braids so I didn't look at or care about them, and I never looked back.

My deck I lost one match to not being able to find my sideboard, which I think got mixed in with a bunch of other cards, and also pretty bad flood.

The weirdest thing: my box was already pretty decent after the draft, but I let everyone who was in open one of the 6 extra packs. The rares were, in order: GSZ, Regal Force, Top, Wasteland, Top, Top. :wtc: Also weird, my pack 1 had 2 Kor Hookmasters and neither was foil.

Braids was absolutely insane, aside from the game where I cast her on turn 3 and she got sent farming. She won me 2 games single-handedly and was instrumental in winning 2 others. My 2nd best card was actually Ichorid. Ichorid + Braids on a stalled board is just backbreaking. I also got to assemble Isochron Scepter + Counterspell at one point and kill someone with the Belcher.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this

Retromancer posted:

So during some early testing, I'm thinking As Foretold may be a really good card in UW Control if it continues to gain traction. being able to leave up tons of mana, or being able to tap out while still having counters live during your opponent's turn is super valuable. It can even let you Ancestral Vision immediately for free the same turn it comes out.
AKA, literally everything people said it could do, but then other people said that wasn't good enough because