Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Rob and Stephen even talk about how the provider role can only take you so far (or even end up being a detriment) and that Hatch realized all the way back in Borneo that while he was providing everyone with food everyone was still willing to try to vote him out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Maybe producers should hide immunity idols in the gut of random fish in the ocean.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Ozzy seeing the feast: I can't sit out guys, I need this meal :qq:
Ozzy making his case: I feed everyone and you'd all me starving without me :colbert:

So what's the truth, Ozzy...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Was I the only person who was watching that "someone has to sit out" scene and wanting someone to say "gently caress it, rock paper scissors tournament!"?

I mean, I could see Jeff having told them they couldn't do something like that and someone had to volunteer, but still. It's all I could think I'd do if I was there.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
thinking about it, I don't think Debbie should have used her advantage. but that depends on if she knew for sure that the other side was targeting Zeke. If she knew that, then whether Ozzy or Zeke went, it would be fine for her alliance. Ozzy would be preferable, but Zeke's untrustworthy.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Why did Cirie vote Michaela "to keep them alive"?

Max posted:

I can't remember who said it, but someone mentioned that they'll just deal with having no fish for a few more days and still be able to win a million.

Pretty sure Sandra has said that at least once. And if not I can totally imagine her saying it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

pokeyman posted:

Cirie was pretty sure that Michaela wasn't going home, and her voting for Michaela makes it less likely that people will cotton on to the two of them being allies.

I mean it ultimately didn't matter since they both ended up on the wrong side of the numbers after the Ozzy vote.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

pokeyman posted:

Pretty sure Sandra has said that at least once. And if not I can totally imagine her saying it.

Cirie helped to protect Michaela while also still protecting herself.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I just don't get why you'd gently caress around with your vote like that. Votes go "wrong" (depending on perspective) all the time. Just write with your wrong hand and lie to everyone about who you voted for.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

pokeyman posted:

I just don't get why you'd gently caress around with your vote like that. Votes go "wrong" (depending on perspective) all the time. Just write with your wrong hand and lie to everyone about who you voted for.

She viewed Michaela more as security than a necessity. Basically she wasn't going to die on that hill so if it happened to end up with Michaela going home, she's still exactly where she was.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
And she has someone she promised she was trying to help all the way out the door. That's jury management.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. Michaela's gone all "I totally trust Cirie" but Cirie hasn't really reciprocated that. Michaela is a loyal number and side ally for Cirie. She's not a "ride or die." So she was just doing her best to keep Michaela in the game without actually doing anything to stick her neck out. Push comes to shove and Cirie's not going down for Michaela and probably not taking her to the end either.

It was actually a really good play to manage to get the target onto Hali without anyone seeming to suspect an ulterior motive. She completely outplayed Sierra there and did it without Sierra seeming to even notice it was happening. And gained a seemingly blindly loyal soldier in the process.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 21, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

See, I know we shouldn't play the editing game, but I did notice how the show was going out of its way to show us Cirie scenes early on even though she hasn't really been to tribal. I feel like she'll at least go far, and won't be surprised if she ends up in final tribal if she keeps playing the way she has in the merge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cirie's a really good player who also is a known threat and a good narrator. So she gets TV time. It also might get her to the end of the game.

Even though she didn't do a lot of overt gaming until this past 2 episodes she's managed to go from one of the top early targets to apparently being below Andrea on the "threat" list, which is a little surprising and probably a credit to her social game.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah shes playing really really well. i dont understand the hinky vote but apart from it i feel like she has been playing as smooth as she can. its so weird she has not been targeted yet

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Cirie is one of the best confessional narrators in the history of the show so it's no surprise she will be seen a lot.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. We just kind f lost sight of her because she wasn't really involved in the game early on and Sandra was taking a lot of the attention. But Cirie's basically Sandra without the wins.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah, I mean, since she has been a part of zero narratives that lead to a tribal council until this episode, I'm not surprised we haven't seen a lot of her.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Look at this handsome fellow.

Troyzan

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I buy those explanations for Cirie's vote, thanks y'all.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Making Ulong do an immunity challenge when they have two members left is just cruel :(

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it wouldn't be so cruel if they'd win more

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
At this point I just hope that they have one more challenge for the last player and skip the merge entirely.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Joe Anglim and Kelly Wiglesworth getting weird with their new show. I guess they realized that their past videos of Mana had a weird sex vibe that everyone picked up on so they went whole hog.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 22, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Are Joe and Wigglesworth having weird island sex? That actually doesn't surprise me and kind of feels like a missing subplot from Second Chances.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

What if... Varner did what he did but then played an immunity idol

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

the truth posted:

What if... Varner did what he did but then played an immunity idol

I think that's partially why Jeff basically skipped the vote.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I think its safe to assume that if Varner had an idol he never would have been so desperate as to do that.

But if he DID have an idol and Jeff purposely changed the rules to get around that wouldn't that be flirting with like the Van Duren game show laws? If things played out that Varner had an idol and insisted on using it every after all that I feel like Jeff would have had to just let him do it. Otherwise it would effectively be pulling him because they think he's a bad guy.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, I think its safe to assume that if Varner had an idol he never would have been so desperate as to do that.

But if he DID have an idol and Jeff purposely changed the rules to get around that wouldn't that be flirting with like the Van Duren game show laws? If things played out that Varner had an idol and insisted on using it every after all that I feel like Jeff would have had to just let him do it. Otherwise it would effectively be pulling him because they think he's a bad guy.

I doubt it would be an issue with the laws... I bet the producers have a clause allowing them to remove contestants if they see fit... that wouldn't be akin to rigging unless they specifically did it to help another player win.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But has Survivor ever removed someone because they were a dick? He wasn't a physical danger to anyone. What he did was hosed up psychologically and emotionally but there's been plenty of players who did hosed up things psychologically and emotional before and the show never seemed interested in pulling them out.

Like I said, I doubt Varner would have ever gotten that far if he had the idol. And if he did I imagine he would have had enough guilt/sense as to not want to stay in the game after that. But if Jeff had just pulled him out of the game I probably would have been a little bothered by that.

Although clearly torn on the matter since gently caress Varner.

edit: But you're right, it probably wouldn't qualify as "rigging."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Dang, Troyzan went from downright fuckable to full Steve Buschemi over the course of my lifetime.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Out of curiosity, does anybody know when Jeff started commentating during the challenges as he does in modern Survivor?
I'm up to rewatching Marquesas now, and that's the one sort of stylistic element that they haven't figured out yet.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Can't remember when exactly, but he definitely starts doing it by Cook Islands because it's the start of the three-season Penner-Probst verbal fight.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think I remember it in Vanuatu? Like when the men are making idiots of themselves in that first immunity challenge?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

thexerox123 posted:

Out of curiosity, does anybody know when Jeff started commentating during the challenges as he does in modern Survivor?
I'm up to rewatching Marquesas now, and that's the one sort of stylistic element that they haven't figured out yet.

Having just finished watching Pearl Islands again, Jeff does a lot of commentating during the challenges during that season. Also, it's really interesting that they didn't do any endurance challenges until the end on Pearl Islands. It was all shooting stuff for immunity.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Zesty posted:

Joe Anglim and Kelly Wiglesworth getting weird with their new show. I guess they realized that their past videos of Mana had a weird sex vibe that everyone picked up on so they went whole hog.

Do they still have her daughter with them?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Zesty posted:

I can't tell which one is which here.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

I can't tell which one is which here.

Just in case this isn't sarcastic, Kelly's up top.

go go jungle sex show

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Zeke is very bad at survivor.

• Locked thread