Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

raditts posted:

I just looked this up because I didn't know there was a Nidhogg 2 and... What the gently caress?! Why did they do this, why??

Cause they're funny looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The Colonel posted:

after playing thrillville: off the rails for two hours i've realized planet coaster is a chump game for babies who have never played a real park manager

Are you befriending park guests or something?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
pro tip do not ask her about "last weekend"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

NOT FRIENDS

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I haven't followed any of the info with persona 5, what are people mad about in regards to the localization?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't followed any of the info with persona 5, what are people mad about in regards to the localization?

It's kind of stiff in places. I think a big problem is that it's really easy to compare it to Yakuza 0, which had a stellar localization.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

The translation has a few awkward or poorly written lines that are either not really a big deal or make it the worst translation ever depending on which camp you're in. The two camps want to kill each other over the internet.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

imo Persona 5 is one of the best video games i've ever played

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ostentatious posted:

imo Persona 5 is one of the best video games i've ever played

That's not really germane to the discussion.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

That's not really germane to the discussion.

counterpoint: i think it is

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok Kanye.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean again from what I've seen it looks fine, just sort of stilted in parts. It could definitely be better and there's some weirdness re: tonal stuff but that's all I've seen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the persona 5 has some rough spots that are a symptom of something going wrong with the editing process but it is possible for human beings to read and understand

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you want to play a bad game with a good translation I recommend Akiba's Trip.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
akiba's trip has a couple weird bits beyond its initial premise but its english translation is legit hilarious and has a lot of heart, and i'm looking forward to akiba's beat which will hopefully not play like poo poo and will have less weird bits and they're getting lots of fun voice actors for the dub

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

This reminds me that I should do a writeup about Jaleco's horrendously localized Rushing Beat series sometime.

When you localize a game so poorly that you accidentally break it, it's pretty impressive.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sakurazuka posted:

The translation has a few awkward or poorly written lines that are either not really a big deal or make it the worst translation ever depending on which camp you're in. The two camps want to kill each other over the internet.

God, I hope they do!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordja posted:

God, I hope they do!

:same:

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

my hot take is that the translation isn't as good as it was in persona 4 but it's still some of the best in the industry considering how difficult it is to localize japanese games for a western audience.

not being as good as the best doesn't mean it's bad or anything, just that there's room for improvement. i think persona 5 exists in a middle ground that is perfectly acceptable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol you think there's a middle ground on the internet

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6RK8o1fcs

I don't know if this is real or not (and let's face it, it's probably not), but damned if this isn't a well-constructed thing.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e6RK8o1fcs

I don't know if this is real or not (and let's face it, it's probably not), but damned if this isn't a well-constructed thing.

My money is on not real (warning:kotaku)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Don't make me regret releasing your post, Poops Mcgoots

e: okay that's a fine post :beerpal:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Eh, it's still mildly entertaining.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Don't make me regret releasing your post, Poops Mcgoots

e: okay that's a fine post :beerpal:

I still have no idea what the gently caress just happened. But yeah, even if it's not real, it's definitely a cool and well-executed idea. Also, the killing of Candace Newmaker mentioned in that article is hella hosed up and an interesting thing to base the videos around.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't understand why they even need to directly translate games, can't they just make it up based on the visual context??

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I don't understand why they even need to directly translate games, can't they just make it up based on the visual context??

I'm 99% sure that's what happened to the Rushing Beat series.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Hm, yes, because they have footage of living breathing people having interactions and not just some 3D models and portraits that change expression.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You can easily infer context from "angry foot stomp" animations and "giant anime sweat drop" sprites. Plus you have the environments, the aforementioned portraits, the music...

If nothing else it'd be a fun game of telephone

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That is basically how they translated games in the 16-bit era

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are dozens of games and instances within games where you don't have that kind of visual context to go off of, and even when you do have it it means basically nothing because dialog can get loving complicated and you won't get any details important to someone's characterization or even a general idea of how they're supposed to talk and act if the writing is more complicated than a cutscene in puyo pop fever

it'll make it possible for people to play through a game getting from point a to point b, but it's a really lovely thing to do to a story-heavy game

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 22, 2017

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I still have no idea what the gently caress just happened. But yeah, even if it's not real, it's definitely a cool and well-executed idea. Also, the killing of Candace Newmaker mentioned in that article is hella hosed up and an interesting thing to base the videos around.

Sometimes the forums just eat a post. It's pretty annoying because 1. It counts as an unread post for people who aren't you, and 2. If it's your post, you have to either double post or wait for someone else to free it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurdiak posted:

You monster.
I set a lot of videos where the people don't talk particularly fast to 1.25, means I can have more time to do other stuff without missing them! EFFICIENCY!

Very good

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
That Petscop thing looks like a very elaborate and neat hoax. Very creepy though.

And yeah, silly half-baked or joke translations can be really fun but I prefer them only for games or anime that were kind of throw-away products to begin with.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

*lurdiak voice* all anime is throw-away

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

This reminds me that I should do a writeup about Jaleco's horrendously localized Rushing Beat series sometime.

When you localize a game so poorly that you accidentally break it, it's pretty impressive.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The first four .hack// games had a parody mode that changed all the text to dumb stuff to laugh at and you'd unlock it for a second playthrough. The problem was that this was a japanese exclusive feature and instead of doing something similarly neat for western releases, they replaced the parody mode with the japanese mode, which is kind of a pretty lame unlock in comparison.

Also, I'd never heard of the candace murder before. That is hosed up, wow. People are stupid and their stupidity so regularly costs or nearly costs people their lives.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If it's the murder I'm thinking of the first thing that comes to mind about the events isn't stupidity.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

precision posted:

it kinda weirds me out to see people care so much about persona 5's translation, like this isn't text i'm reading because it's brilliant writing so who gives a solitary flying double gently caress with a lemon twist

it's a weird social life sim and demon pokemon dungeon crawler, not a goddamn Murakami novel

theres some pretty awkward, exposition heavy dialogue in the begining of the game but by all accounts it gets much better. I can see how some people could get a bad first impression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope it blows over soon so we can get back to what's important: arguing who the best waifu is.

• Locked thread