Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The game is a longform endorsement of anarchism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

The game is a longform endorsement of anarchism

Considering it ends with the protagonists rejecting their super powers and resolving to work within society, um...

Like, their whole MO before then is to reveal people and have society punish them. Goro is probably the most anarchist in the cast and the game thoroughly condemns him.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I do like that it seems to be ending with the theme that social reform can only be achieved through collective public action where even people without superpowers can do good, I guess I appreciate where they went with this

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I do like the message that while it can be difficult society can be improved and reformed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Considering it ends with the protagonists rejecting their super powers and resolving to work within society, um...

Like, their whole MO before then is to reveal people and have society punish them. Goro is probably the most anarchist in the cast and the game thoroughly condemns him.

Well I also think the ending pulls a total 180 on the main themes of the game so

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

I mean it's a game about rebellion and following your own justice even if society as a whole disagrees with you. So it's not like a super bad read.

Edit:

cheetah7071 posted:

Well I also think the ending pulls a total 180 on the main themes of the game so

Sometimes you rebel so hard you have to sacrifice yourself to the prison system so you can convict an rear end in a top hat and you just have trust your friends will get you out.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean, I still don't get where you get anarchism from though?

Fundamentally they're still working within the confines of the State as the ultimate authority even before the ending. 'Changing people's hearts' has the end goal of society punishing the perpetrators, not the Phantom Thieves.

If anything the game is radically anti-anarchist, arguing that the only thing stopping the state from working are individuals who can be reformed or removed using the mechanisms in place.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean it's a game about rebellion and following your own justice even if society as a whole disagrees with you. So it's not like a super bad read.

But they all fundamentally believe in the State. Their own justice exclusively targets people who use their power to violate laws that the State enforces.

The idea being; much like people can become distorted, society can also become distorted. But the solution is to 'change its heart', or work to fix the distortion, not smash the state.

I feel like this is the whole fundamental difference between the protagonists and the antagonists; that the antagonists use the trappings of society and the state to break the rules and the Phantom Thieves break the rules to save society and the state.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 22, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

But they all fundamentally believe in the State. Their own justice exclusively targets people who use their power to violate laws that the State enforces.

The idea being; much like people can become distorted, society can also become distorted. But the solution is to 'change its heart', or work to fix the distortion, not smash the state.

I didn't mean to say they wanted to break society or anything, but they still don't really like society in it's current state though. They're Tricksters. They rebel and cause change.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Fundamentally they're still working within the confines of the State as the ultimate authority even before the ending. 'Changing people's hearts' has the end goal of society punishing the perpetrators, not the Phantom Thieves.

If anything the game is radically anti-anarchist, arguing that the only thing stopping the state from working are individuals who can be reformed or removed using the mechanisms in place.

I was partially exaggerating for comedic effect, but here's my logic:
Every single person in the entire game who is in a position of authority and uses that authority is presented as ultimately lovely. Teachers, parents, politicians, police, gods. In the world of persona 5, there are no examples of a person exercising power over another through the rules of society that comes across in a good light--or at least none I can think of. The characters obviously never come to the conclusion that the dissolution of the state is the solution to this problem, but as the player, I can come to that conclusion--that the state cannot ever be the solution in this world, and is at best an overcomable problem.

So in conclusion "the characters believe in the state" and "Persona 5 is an endorsement of anarchy" aren't contradictory.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Every single person in the entire game who is in a position of authority and uses that authority is presented as ultimately lovely. Teachers, parents, politicians, police, gods. In the world of persona 5, there are no examples of a person exercising power over another through the rules of society that comes across in a good light--or at least none I can think of. The characters obviously never come to the conclusion that the dissolution of the state is the solution to this problem, but as the player, I can come to that conclusion--that the state cannot ever be the solution in this world, and is at best an overcomable problem.

So in conclusion "the characters believe in the state" and "Persona 5 is an endorsement of anarchy" aren't contradictory.

Um, Sojiro is extraordinarily un-lovely I'll have you know.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Alright, I don't necessarily agree but I can definitely understand this argument.

I do think Tora really undermines your point though.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 22, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Um, Sojiro is extraordinarily un-lovely I'll have you know.

And he basically never exercises his parental authority

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

And he basically never exercises his parental authority

He takes his kids out to sushi, the ultimate expression of parenthood.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

One of the Confidants is about bonding with and supporting a reformist legislative candidate

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One of the Confidants is about bonding with and supporting a reformist legislative candidate

Man, Tora is so good.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Man, Tora is so good.

So-Good Tora

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zore posted:

bruh im making bombs at my desk after school so i can gently caress up my gym teacher

also hell yeah goro antifa as hell, Wokechi

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also I like that after 100 hours with this game I still got lost in Shibuya Station trying to find Ryuji

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sometimes coincidences are allowed to happen and I like that better as an explanation than "the secret evil God who was behind everything had a secreter eviler God behind him".

A secreter, eviler god is pretty much the core of Gnostic canon, though. There's like four layers.

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/origin.html posted:

Now as for the ruler Yaltabaoth, he is ignorant of the force of Pistis: he did not see her face, rather he saw in the water the likeness that spoke with him. And because of that voice, he called himself 'Yaldabaoth'.

Pistis Sophia true final boss confirmed.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

goro got what he deserved!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

goro got what he deserved!!!

A not-death?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

being forgotten completely by the plot!!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

being forgotten completely by the plot!!!

drat. Savage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Ha, I just noticed that Akechi is on the title screen with a mask.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Seriously though, gently caress Akechi. Dude deserves to be in prison for the rest of his life.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I did find it strange that the party, which included two members whose parents were murdered by Akechi, were so sympathetic towards him at the end. It did get me feeling bad for him for like ten seconds, as nonsensical as that might be

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
akechi is bae

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ha, I just noticed that Akechi is on the title screen with a mask.
his admittedly dumb mask stood out to me instantly

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I did find it strange that the party, which included two members whose parents were murdered by Akechi, were so sympathetic towards him at the end. It did get me feeling bad for him for like ten seconds, as nonsensical as that might be

Because a bunch of the characters have elements of their backstory which are somewhat similar to him. So they kinda get his deal.

Though he killed Haru's father she probably sorta understands wanting revenge against your dad for being a poo poo.
Though he's the reason Futaba's mum's dead that's the reason why she probably understands him since his mum's death is one of the reasons he wants revenge on society.
Makoto understands disillusionment with society and knew him before all this went down, and she even says she kinda had a rivalry with him.
Ryuji gets wanting to be popular and be acknowledged by people and a system that used to loving hate you.
And I guess Ann and Yusuke are just generally nice dudes and fairly empathetic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It happens though. Some people forgive the killers of their loved ones and just want them brought to justice outside of a personal grievance, just because it's the law.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also importantly, as Ryuji says "They understand him but they won't forgive him."

Which is the whole conflict between them and Goro. None of the protagonists are murderers, they're all very empathetic people. They don't kill. Goro does.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Also importantly, as Ryuji says "They understand him but they won't forgive him."

Which is the whole conflict between them and Goro. None of the protagonists are murderers, they're all very empathetic people. They don't kill. Goro does.

Ryuji has good opinions and thoughts on things.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Because a bunch of the characters have elements of their backstory which are somewhat similar to him. So they kinda get his deal.

Though he killed Haru's father she probably sorta understands wanting revenge against your dad for being a poo poo.
Though he's the reason Futaba's mum's dead that's the reason why she probably understands him since his mum's death is one of the reasons he wants revenge on society.
Makoto understands disillusionment with society and knew him before all this went down, and she even says she kinda had a rivalry with him.
Ryuji gets wanting to be popular and be acknowledged by people and a system that used to loving hate you.
And I guess Ann and Yusuke are just generally nice dudes and fairly empathetic.

Yusuke's father figure was a dick, and Shido is an even bigger dick; so there's a connection there.

Ann... ... just likes turtles I guess??

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Night Blade posted:

Yusuke's father figure was a dick, and Shido is an even bigger dick; so there's a connection there.

Ann... ... just likes turtles I guess??

Madarame stops being a thing that's mentioned so I forgot about that.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Zore posted:

I feel like this is the whole fundamental difference between the protagonists and the antagonists; that the antagonists use the trappings of society and the state to break the rules and the Phantom Thieves break the rules to save society and the state.
this is a good summation of the game's themes. coming to terms with being unable to change human nature and one's inability to exact radical change on society is suuuuuuuuper common in japanese works of fiction. i guess because of the collectivist nature. at the end a lot of works' message is "try to make the world a bit better"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Relin posted:

this is a good summation of the game's themes. coming to terms with being unable to change human nature and one's inability to exact radical change on society is suuuuuuuuper common in japanese works of fiction. i guess because of the collectivist nature. at the end a lot of works' message is "try to make the world a bit better"

They did change human nature and exact radical change through sniping a being granting the distorted desires of society's sloth in the head with a large gun though.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Persona 5 is just Chaos Route Lite

Akira Kurusu will be spared when Demi-Fiend destroys his reality

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Metallia posted:

Persona 5 is just Chaos Route Lite

Akira Kurusu will be spared when Demi-Fiend destroys his reality

I don't think Demifiend would have much of a choice after Joker kicks his rear end with Satanael

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

What do I do with my life now I've finished this game??

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Stalk the fourms and analyze it like it's a novel for the next two weeks, wondering why your friends wont talk to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

cpaf posted:

What do I do with my life now I've finished this game??

*into a microphone with a yaldabaoth voice filter*
PLAY ANIME

• Locked thread