Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

:siren:BERNIE loving RULES:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I'm pro universal healthcare, except for abortions, those become illegal.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
loving after years of "we just need to compromise on basic economic and welfare principles, because that's politics, and you must make sacrifices" and "you need to be happy for the things we can pursue, not angry about what we have given up" y'all's platitudes about slippery slopes and sacrificing women's issues because a candidate is not sufficiently better than the Republican opponent (even though he's extremely better) are transparent as gently caress.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 09:27 on Apr 22, 2017

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Can't wait for Bernies signature legislation, the "Make Abortion A Felon and Create a Secret Policeforce to Shutdown Abortion Clinics".

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
tired: sacrificing women's issues

wired: sacrificing women into a volcano

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
bernie would have won

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

loving after years of "we just need to compromise on basic economic and welfare principles, because that's politics, and you must make sacrifices" and "you need to be happy for the things we can pursue, not angry about what we have given up" y'all's platitudes about slippery slopes and sacrificing women's issues because a candidate is not sufficiently better than the Republican opponent (even though he's extremely better) are transparent as gently caress.

None of the scathing Bernie/Mello takes mention for more than a sentence that he's running against a republican or her platform

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

im very confused right now just tell me what i should do

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

theflyingexecutive posted:

None of the scathing Bernie/Mello takes mention for more than a sentence that he's running against a republican or her platform

Because their goal is to cause Mello to lose and try to smear Bernie in the process, it's just a bonus when people like you show up and make well intentioned but terrible arguments that pit women's reproductive rights against economic progressivism.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

regardless of what position you have, trying to torpedo a general election and slam Bernie (the most important progressive politician in decades) for hot take points is so incredibly dumb, uninformed, and out of touch

mello took the same stance kaine did, but CC didn't make a peep when kaine was pushed as VP, while mello as mayor is a sexist step too far

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i was assured pro-life dems like kaine were ok and good for the dem party, but the second dems think they found a way to smear that annoyingly popular bernie sanders they take it, even if it means losing a race to a republican

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Bad Dems think if they hold on through Trump the worst that can happen is normal republicans. Then in 2024, The Racist Old Duck Dynasty guy will run and beat Chelsea Clinton.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mirthless posted:

you really have still not fully grasped that we lost in november

every time i open this thread i'm completely stunned by it

Actually everything is fine with the democrats and this was all part of the plan

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Aww! I miss "yikes!" Can we bring yikes back?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The lesson bad dems should take away from this is that nobody should be made to have their priorities marginalized, and that all groups forming the greater party should be supporting each other and making sure that their politicians are as representative of all interests, both mutual and particular, as much as possible. That instead of fighting a zero sum game of who gets to be represented, it is necessary to build a greater inclusive identity than that of any single self-interested person, because otherwise everybody will be stuck in a loop of making minor gains and losing them to rival groups.

But instead they will forget all about that the second the race is over, and will return to vilifying people for feeling deeply about the future of their livelihoods, because after all they are not really interested in changing things, they are interested in winning rhetorical arguments and building personal brands for themselves.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

im very confused right now just tell me what i should do

kill youre parents

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

i enjoy that when these concerns were brought up mello addressed them and made an attempt to assure those worried about his past that he would be on their side and in no way limit access to abortion

i enjoy it primarily because it makes ossoff look like a giant loving tool
has mello actually supported any legislation that would restrict access to abortion?

the only concrete policy I've seen someone reference in this thread was that he voted for compromise legislation to get clinics to be required to offer an ultrasound (the patient is not required to accept) in the fear the republicans would try to push something worse without a compromise

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

comedyblissoption posted:

has mello actually supported any legislation that would restrict access to abortion?

the only concrete policy I've seen someone reference in this thread was that he voted for compromise legislation to get clinics to be required to offer an ultrasound (the patient is not required to accept) in the fear the republicans would try to push something worse without a compromise

He also signed a bill that a physician must be present during an abortion, so I guess it depends on how you interpret that. To me it seems common sensical, but OTOH I've never had to deal with this crap.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
being a woman is tough.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

steinrokkan posted:

He also signed a bill that a physician must be present during an abortion, so I guess it depends on how you interpret that. To me it seems common sensical, but OTOH I've never had to deal with this crap.

It's not. Most abortions are non-surgical and do not require a physician present.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

That's essentially a way to make using RU486 harder, which is a drug that essentially induces a miscarriage. It's controversial, but it's pretty good, because it means that early abortions can be a lot more private and a lot cheaper.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

that's pretty lovely if it's typically not really required

if the legislation meaningfully restricted access to abortion, then it would only be excusable if Mello was on record saying he did not support the restriction aspects of the bill but only voted for it as compromise to prevent worse or because of some other stuff in the bill.

did requiring physicians to be present have a meaningful impact on restricting access to abortion in the state by reducing availability or increasing cost? is this in any way similar to the poo poo texas and other states are trying to pull with making requirements so onerous that it becomes impractical to operate an economically viable abortion clinic?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

MaxxBot posted:

I don't get why he's so bad on criminal justice issues and why CA is so bad on that in general, it's perplexing to me. They have a reputation of being ultra liberal but they're basically Jeff Sessions with regard to drug laws and their prison population.

theres a good book about this called the golden gulag

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

fb neolib update:

devolved to screaming at me for not having a uterus and mansplaining. Apparently abortion is a 100% unimpeachable human right and they got v mad when I said access to health care is not only more important for more people (Omaha does maybe a couple hundo aborshes a year), but lessens the need for abortions too and boy howdy they were not pleased

Dear Dairy,
Today I owned this female by telling her that well actually universal healthcare is more important than her ability to not die in childbirth.

PS bernouts aren't sexist

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

When Mello loses, whose fault will it be?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
yours

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zegermans posted:

Dear Dairy,
Today I owned this female by telling her that well actually universal healthcare is more important than her ability to not die in childbirth.

PS bernouts aren't sexist

Why is it OK for you to tell people their fundamental problems are not important, if you rightfully recognize it's not OK in others?

Is it because you are an irredeemable piece of poo poo?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

zegermans posted:

Outright evil, abhorrent individuals like you who would gladly let innocent people suffer as a collateral damage in a quest to make themselves feel better and more powerful through spite.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

zegermans posted:

your fault

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

People who show anger over moral issues not directly affecting them may actually be emoting in an effort to quell their own guilt, be it consciously or unconsciously, according to a new study.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Study-Expressing-moral-outrage-is-largely-just-10969478.php

huh would you look at that

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

steinrokkan posted:

Outright evil, abhorrent individuals like you who would gladly let innocent people suffer as a collateral damage in a quest to make themselves feel better and more powerful through spite.

:discourse:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

steinrokkan posted:

Because being nice no matter what has sure made the dems successful at elections 😱

When they go low we go high lol

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Condiv posted:

mello took the same stance kaine did, but CC didn't make a peep when kaine was pushed as VP, while mello as mayor is a sexist step too far

i didn't want kaine to get picked, and regardless kaine's record on abortion (as senator, not so much as governor) has been consistently perfect. and anyway, at no point in this thread have i said that bernie is bad for endorsing mello (i just questioned why he endorsed mello and not ossoff, which is now a moot point), nor have i said mello should lose or that we should have purity tests of any sort. what i did say is that mello's abortion record is extremely hosed up.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

comedyblissoption posted:

that's pretty lovely if it's typically not really required

if the legislation meaningfully restricted access to abortion, then it would only be excusable if Mello was on record saying he did not support the restriction aspects of the bill but only voted for it as compromise to prevent worse or because of some other stuff in the bill.

did requiring physicians to be present have a meaningful impact on restricting access to abortion in the state by reducing availability or increasing cost? is this in any way similar to the poo poo texas and other states are trying to pull with making requirements so onerous that it becomes impractical to operate an economically viable abortion clinic?

mello supported a 20 week abortion ban, and a statewide ban on insurance that covers abortion. the intent of requiring a physician to be present is to create another restriction that makes abortion harder to access, just like the other votes. in this case, it would be an onerous requirement on women in rural nebraska who might not easily have the means to travel to a clinic.

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 13:50 on Apr 22, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

reminds me of a certain hillary clinton

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
bad dems should be safe, legal, and rare

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

got any sevens posted:

Because being nice no matter what has sure made the dems successful at elections 😱

When they go low we go high lol

When they go low we go high isn't an expression of being nice, it's a saying used by sycophants of power, people who are slavishly devoted to decorum and optics associated with powerful institutions, and who would rather ignore the suffering that surrounds them than risk getting out of step with the establishment.

In other words, the people I talked about. Being nice in this situation generally requires being mean to a lot of bad people.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

reminds me of a certain hillary clinton
Bernie people actually did vote clinton come election day, they held up their end of the 'bargain'

so when asked to provide solidary, they provided it

clintonites have refused to do the same, making it pretty clear that they have no intention of following through on any promises they make

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

When they go low we go high isn't an expression of being nice, it's a saying used by sycophants of power, people who are slavishly devoted to decorum and optics associated with powerful institutions, and who would rather ignore the suffering that surrounds them than risk getting out of step with the establishment.

In other words, the people I talked about. Being nice in this situation generally requires being mean to a lot of bad people.

exactly.

gently caress obama and his inability to do anything other than enrich himself and his harvard buddies.

he's a loving crony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

bad dems should be safe, legal, and rare

democratic victories already are

• Locked thread