Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Does your meat come with the diaper sealed in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Guy Axlerod posted:

Does your meat come with the diaper sealed in?

I don't think the brisket has that diaper pad thing in it. I know some thing like hamburger, hams, steaks do.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
If the brisket is bloody there's probably no diaper. If it looks dry/fresh then it's probably got a diaper and you should re-bag it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've got an Anova on the way and picked up a vacuum sealer today. What's a good cut of steak to show off with so I can convince my wife I haven't bought another unnecessary gadget (to be fair, I have a lot of those), and what are you go to recipes when you're showing off to people who've never had sous vide anything before? Also, my vacuum sealer recommends freezing meat before I bag it, is this strictly necessary if it isn't dripping with liquid?

I'm a bit annoyed with myself because I ordered the machine yesterday thinking it'd get delivered on Tuesday ready for experimenting on the ANZAC day holiday, but of course no-one works ANZAC day so it definitely won't be arriving then, and I think same day post and delivery might be a bit hopeful on a Monday.

e: I've already vacuum sealed my wife's keys so it's going to be an uphill battle.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 22, 2017

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The texture of rare/medium rare pork tenderloin wowed my friends

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
A simple chicken breast wowed my fianceé when I first got one. But a pork tenderloin is also great too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Megabound posted:

Also, my vacuum sealer recommends freezing meat before I bag it, is this strictly necessary if it isn't dripping with liquid?

I've never heard this, let alone done it. I mean, I've cooked from frozen, but I haven't frozen just to seal better. I usually seal before I freeze something, really.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Megabound posted:

I've got an Anova on the way and picked up a vacuum sealer today. What's a good cut of steak to show off with so I can convince my wife I haven't bought another unnecessary gadget (to be fair, I have a lot of those), and what are you go to recipes when you're showing off to people who've never had sous vide anything before? Also, my vacuum sealer recommends freezing meat before I bag it, is this strictly necessary if it isn't dripping with liquid?

I'm a bit annoyed with myself because I ordered the machine yesterday thinking it'd get delivered on Tuesday ready for experimenting on the ANZAC day holiday, but of course no-one works ANZAC day so it definitely won't be arriving then, and I think same day post and delivery might be a bit hopeful on a Monday.

e: I've already vacuum sealed my wife's keys so it's going to be an uphill battle.

It's hard to go wrong with chicken breasts. Pasteurizing eggs for perfectly safe cookie dough, hollandaise or mayo is another neat trick.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
You'll want a cast iron pan for finishing whatever it is you plan on SVing. Nothing fancy (mine was £10 from amazon) but pretty essential to get a really good sear.

I recommend starting with a nice thick ribeye steak. Easy/quick to do and really impressive.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
1/20,000 eggs is contaminated with salmonella; most normal healthy people infected by salmonella experience no symptoms at all, and almost all the rest just get your usual food poisoning symptoms (diarrhea or vomiting) that resolves all on its own. Basically, you can eat a raw egg every day of your life and maybe you'll get the shits once.

Not saying it isn't neat you can pasteurize eggs, but IMO it's a waste of time unless you're feeding cookie dough to the elderly or immunocompromised. Of course, it's your time and you may balance your risks differently.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Regarding cookie dough I'd imagine you've a much higher risk factor coming from contaminated flour because apparently that's a thing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Someone somewhere said pasteurizing your flour in the microwave works. SV is way too slow to be practical.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey all! Like 5 or more years ago, The cooking forum here was my most participated and visited forum. I fell off... but I got an Anova this Christmas and I love to cook. A new year's resolution was one dinner party a month for friends. Full-service, they bring nothing.

It's been fun, and oftentimes I prepare stuff I've never made before, all for the challenge. Everything is always fresh made, even bread... I even provide a cocktail...

Im usually exhausted by the end of the day but it's so rewarding.

Anyway... I want to become active in this thread particularly because Sous Vide is the THRUTH!

Things I have done so far:

All manner of perfectly cooked steak and porkchops. With accompaniments like fresh made chimichurri, etc...

Scallops, beautiful every time. Usually with a balsamic reduction.

Egg bites like what they have at Starbucks now. (Bacon-Gruyere)

Last night I made Pinot Noir Chocolate Pots de Creme. (Pics later) as I have a dinner party tonight and holy poo poo it's like eating little chocolatey spoonfuls of god...

Anyway, Hi!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are scallops really better sous vide? If you're going to sear them anyway, you'll get a gradient that mostly spans the scallop, in my experience.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

Are scallops really better sous vide? If you're going to sear them anyway, you'll get a gradient that mostly spans the scallop, in my experience.

I will submit to you, 3 factoids about me:

1) I worry about undercooked food. I mean, I eat sushi and steak tartare, but like, when I make poo poo I buy myself, I get all worried and overcook, invariably.

2) The scallops may indeed be similar seared-only, but again, see #1. Besides, when I do a dinner party, I do it in courses, and so usually the steak comes out and I lower the temp on the water bath and then the Scallops are mindless ventures while I prep everything that take about 30 min, max, while steak is eaten.

3) Ummm, I don't know why I said 3 things... I guess 2? Oh wait, yeah, so because of #1, my steaks were always done a little past what I'd like... and now with Sous Vide, I get PERFECTION EVERY TIME. So I think it's just a good way to guarantee my proteins are not botched by me... ;)

Also, while we are talking about Searing..

I recognize that the best sear post-water-bath is a hot cast iron skillet with butter. And thankfully I have Nest Protect Smoke Detectors I can tell to gently caress off... but its insane the smoke that fills the area...

I have a decent-to-great culinary blow torch, but I feel like it takes a LOT of time and effort to crisp the surface and I fear that prolonged exposure to get that dark crispy Mailliard might cook the insides too much.

Tips and tricks for torching for sear?(or preferences between the 2?)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Feenix posted:

1) I worry about undercooked food. I mean, I eat sushi and steak tartare, but like, when I make poo poo I buy myself, I get all worried and overcook, invariably.

Scallops are safe to eat raw if properly handled (see also ceviche), but are you cooking them enough to pasteurize anyway?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Subjunctive posted:

Scallops are safe to eat raw if properly handled (see also ceviche), but are you cooking them enough to pasteurize anyway?

I don't know. I'm just saying, I tend to be overly cautious on stuff I bought myself versus restaurant expertise on the matter... (rational or not) so I love a set it and forget it bit of hive mind knowledge re: sous vide. ;)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 22, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Megabound posted:

I've got an Anova on the way and picked up a vacuum sealer today. What's a good cut of steak to show off with so I can convince my wife I haven't bought...

Before Sous Vide, I don't think I'd ever had a really proper cooked juicy pork chop. That really wowed me.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Salmon is also pretty ridiculous sous vide. It's so soft and buttery if you look at it too hard it'll come apart.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I love crunchy skin on salmon to much to bother sous vide it.

Sous vide pork tenderloin though. I don't think there's a better way to cook it.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Just purchased 25q Party Stacker Colamn cooler and other poo poo to use. Going to make one of these. I've really enjoyed SV pork for large groups and up next is a brisket so I need something bigger and more insulated for longer cook times.

Here are other people images.

Parts list for the blue cooler build.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMCLMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IZJ3TY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0098PNZLO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2ILXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007G5LP2E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Crunkjuice posted:

Salmon is also pretty ridiculous sous vide. It's so soft and buttery if you look at it too hard it'll come apart.

Spoken like someone who hasn't attempted salmon mi-cuit.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Norns posted:

I love crunchy skin on salmon to much to bother sous vide it.

Sous vide pork tenderloin though. I don't think there's a better way to cook it.

I like to sous vide skin on salmon and then dry it and crisp the gently caress out of the skin on stainless steel. Best of both worlds and with a hot enough pan, no gradient.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jan posted:

Spoken like someone who hasn't attempted salmon mi-cuit.

This looks like Russian roulette with a fish parasite

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Have you ever eaten sushi

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Top sirloin with a nice butter sear and a dollop of butter-basil-parsley-garlic-smoked Blue Cheese. (And baked garlic shrimp)

This was the main part of my 5 course dinner I hosted tonight (forgive the lovely plating)

The previously-mentioned Pinot Noir Chocolate pots de creme...

This was fantastically easy with the Anova.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I've never eaten sushi left out on the counter at room temperature for 8 hours.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

I bet you have.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

namaste faggots posted:

This looks like Russian roulette with a fish parasite

All store-bought and restaurant-served fish in the US is required to be frozen in order to kill multicellular parasites. Unless you're eating the salmon your cousin caught over the weekend and didn't freeze because he thought it would be fresher this way, you're fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

namaste faggots posted:

You might've mid-read the recipe. It's a half hour cooktime.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Steve Yun posted:

You might've mid-read the recipe. It's a half hour cooktime.

Yeah most of the time is brining or otherwise chilling in the fridge.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 23, 2017

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Just tried boiled eggs SV for the first time for breakfast this morning and while the yolks were some incredible next-level poo poo, the whites were a bit... snotty.

I followed the Anova time & temp guide for soft boiled (45mins @145) with a pre-boil for 3 mins. Any suggestions for keeping a nice runny yolk and also getting the whites properly set?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, here's a tip: don't use sous vide for soft-boiled eggs. The ideal SB egg for most people is one where the white is cooked to a higher temperature than the yolk, and to do that you want a cooking method that results in a temperature differential between the inside and outside. That means boiling water or steam.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 23, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I tried 63°C eggs, doing the whole boiling then ice bath then SV, and I was thoroughly underwhelmed. Not worth the effort.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yes I was super excited for SV SB eggs but you get snot. Use other means...

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You know what, I had to try then again just now to make sure but I don't even like sous vide for poached.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Well that's pretty unequivocal - cheers all!
Looks like it's back to the pan then, and I had such high hopes. Makes sense about needing the temperature gradient though.

I jumped on the SV egg bites bandwagon today, so hopefully tomorrow's breakfast will be a winner.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Randyslawterhouse posted:

I jumped on the SV egg bites bandwagon today, so hopefully tomorrow's breakfast will be a winner.

So good!!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah after seeing a few recipes here I've taken up doing egg bites every other week or so and it's so drat easy. I wouldn't say mine are any kind of culinary masterpiece, but they do save us from spending a few $$ on breakfasts the mornings we're running late and are just really goddamn easy.

edit:

In fact, since we're talking about them, can I put some plastic wrap inside the jars to make extraction a little easier? If I did a bit of extra over the lip of the jar would it interfere with the seal much? Right now we're running a butter knife around the edge of the egg bit to liberate it from the jar and we tend to leave a fair amount left in the jar, I'd like to have an easier and less wasteful removal.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012
Can confirm - egg bites were awesome! Made bacon & gruyere; and mushroom, spinach & blue cheese. Both were great.

Regarding extraction, I did the knife around the edge and shaking onto a plate manoeuvre too. It worked ok, but did take a while. If you're using two-part mason jar lids, I think cling film would probably interfere with the seal. A spray of cooking oil/low fat spray in the jar before filling might work though :shrug: