Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DeathbyMisadventure posted:

Is there anywhere to keep an eye on for sales on a JB1 or one of the at home tune kits for MK7 GTIs? I have checked around a few sites and it seems like other categories frequently go on sale, but the prices for JB1 and tunes seem to be highly regulated.

https://www.golfmk7.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Huge_Midget posted:

93 or E30? Any other mods on your RS? Please let me know how it goes, I'm trying to decide between Adam and Stratified for my tune when my RS gets here next week.

Will definitely report back. 93 can't get reliable E83 near me also don't really care to. No mods yet.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The fleet vehicle won't have a stage 2 tune flashed off when you pick it back up at least.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

AvesPKS posted:

I like the Maryland flag but I do not like the new Maryland plates for some reason. Not that I really like the 1812 plates either.

The new design for the plates is definitely better than the 1812 plates, but I'm pissed that I didn't get in on the 2014 retro black and yellow plates when they were available. Oh well. The car is still a bucket of fun, it's a 2014 Driver's Edition in not-quite-black Carbon Steel Grey and both my wife and I love taking it out around town. It's my first 'fast' car and already it has me looking with a different set of criteria at what will replace my daily driver which is an '09 Jetta SportWagen, yes the dieselgate version.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Arishtat posted:

The new design for the plates is definitely better than the 1812 plates, but I'm pissed that I didn't get in on the 2014 retro black and yellow plates when they were available. Oh well. The car is still a bucket of fun, it's a 2014 Driver's Edition in not-quite-black Carbon Steel Grey and both my wife and I love taking it out around town. It's my first 'fast' car and already it has me looking with a different set of criteria at what will replace my daily driver which is an '09 Jetta SportWagen, yes the dieselgate version.

I agree, I like those black and yellow plates too, but I'd hate to be mistaken for a New York driver. :).

The carbon steel gray is nice. I went with silver on my '16 and I still like the way it looks but I'm having some regrets over not going with gray, black or navy blue.

The new MD driver's licenses are hideous. They look like a bad Costco ID card.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Candlelight Virgil posted:

Just bought a 2012 gti today and Jesus I can't get rid of these factory wheels quick enough why are they so ugly? Will anyone buy them from me or what?

Stock photo but those are the wheels I have lol

Would you be interested in 18" Austin wheels with Conti tires from a 2016 GTI with 2500 miles on them? I'm trying to buy some 19" R Pretorias from someone and I will sell my OEM wheels/tires soon.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
austins are just as ugly

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

Would you be interested in 18" Austin wheels with Conti tires from a 2016 GTI with 2500 miles on them? I'm trying to buy some 19" R Pretorias from someone and I will sell my OEM wheels/tires soon.
If he doesn't take you up on that...
Where are you? I need 2 OEM Austins as long as they don't have any curb rash on them. I'm in Houston.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

If he doesn't take you up on that...
Where are you? I need 2 OEM Austins as long as they don't have any curb rash on them. I'm in Houston.

I'll fight you. I want those wheels too.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Radiohead71 posted:

I've gotta sell my Saab before I can get wheels :/

But no they look like blender blades

A Concrete Divider fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 23, 2017

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

I'm in FL. There is no rash on them and I'll try to keep them that way. I'll post back when they are available.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Radiohead71 posted:

I'm in FL. There is no rash on them and I'll try to keep them that way. I'll post back when they are available.
Too far for me...thanks tho.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

What's everyone here think of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta? I don't know much about it, but saw the base model is about 150 hp...is there a performance variant? I think it looks pretty clean. The front end is VERY different but I imagined it'd grow on me eventually if I got one. Are they available in the states? Is it considered a "hot hatch" for the purposes of this thread?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't think that's available in the U.S.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

What's everyone here think of the Alfa Romeo Giulietta? I don't know much about it, but saw the base model is about 150 hp...is there a performance variant? I think it looks pretty clean. The front end is VERY different but I imagined it'd grow on me eventually if I got one. Are they available in the states? Is it considered a "hot hatch" for the purposes of this thread?

The QV has 240hp 0-100km/h @ 6 seconds. I prefer the look of the MiTo, but the Giulietta is easily one of the best looking bigger hatchbacks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Are manual GTI mk7s still have clutch issues after tunes?

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I have a DSG, but from what I've read on mk7 and vwv boards a new/upgraded clutch is a foregone conclusion on any upgrades S1 or higher.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

Yes. If you tune it you're going to have to replace the clutch.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

It looks like all the reviews online say just buy a GTI not a Giulietta QV

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Residency Evil posted:

If you have an actual tune it is a ticking time bomb. If you have a JB1 and a DP you can get away with it for a long time.

I put 24k JB1+DP miles on my car, clutch was fine, never slipped. There are three things you MUST do if you want the clutch to live:
1. Remove the clutch delay valve
2. Remove the clutch spring
3. Take your time on shifts to make sure the clutch has time to fully reengage, ESPECIALLY the 1-2. There is -zero- reason to hammer a GTI in first, always short shift to second, let the clutch fully engage then hammer it.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I bought an RS despite only ever haven driven a stick once for an hour with my friend.

Probably a bad decision but I can drive it around town now without too much issue. Gotta still learn how to go fast.

Paint looks really good. Better than it does in pictures. If you get one get the blue.

edit: I hosed it up

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 26, 2017

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

SerCypher posted:

Oh no.

My first standard was an E36 BMW M3. It was hell to learn how to drive on.
It died and I picked up a GTi which was WAY easier to learn stick on.

It can be done, but more powerful cars are a lot less forgiving.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Nice pick up on the RS. If one thing Ford does well on it is their choices of blue colors. Picking up a GTI today, but I plan on wrapping it in a nice blue color akin to the RS.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

DevCore posted:

Oh no.

I hosed up the image link!

Not the car. The car is safe!

I learned on my friend's Veloster. The clutch is a lot more 'grippy' on the RS (not sure if that's a real term). It engages a lot sooner. It's faster, but at low RPM it doesn't seem that bad, as I'm guessing the Turbo isn't engaging?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

SerCypher posted:

I bought an RS despite only ever haven driven a stick once for an hour with my friend.

Probably a bad decision but I can drive it around town now without too much issue. Gotta still learn how to go fast.

Paint looks really good. Better than it does in pictures. If you get one get the blue.

As a fellow RS owner, my first recommendation is mud flaps. I out some rokkblokz on mine and I think they came out pretty decent. The inside of the front fenders gets chewed up fast.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

xsf421 posted:

As a fellow RS owner, my first recommendation is mud flaps. I out some rokkblokz on mine and I think they came out pretty decent. The inside of the front fenders gets chewed up fast.

These ones?

http://rokblokz.com/ford-focus-rs.html

I live in Orange Country, so the roads here are relatively nice. Still, those big sticky tires probably pick up rocks and stuff. Are they something a novice could mount? Do you have to take the tires off to do it?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DevCore posted:

Oh no.

Not necessarily. My MS3 was a hundred times more difficult to drive smoothly than my C5. Super grabby clutch, very small engagement zone, turbo powerband, compared to longer lighter clutch pedal with gobs of torque making it almost impossible to stall.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

SerCypher posted:

These ones?

http://rokblokz.com/ford-focus-rs.html

I live in Orange Country, so the roads here are relatively nice. Still, those big sticky tires probably pick up rocks and stuff. Are they something a novice could mount? Do you have to take the tires off to do it?

It might be better for you, I live in Detroit and a lot of our roads are just covered in gravel. They can be tricky to put on without taking off the wheels, you really need a Phillips bit for a small ratchet to do the rear ones. I'll post a picture a bit later, I got the black ones with no logo on a blue RS.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I put flaps on the GTI and it's kind of the same boat. Turning the wheel full lock and a small bit driver ratchet worked ok. If you have to drill anything it gets more difficult.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

What brand of mud flaps should I get for my gti?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Don't think I saw it here, but the new Type R set the new FF Nurburgring lap record at 7 minutes 43.8 seconds. It beat the GTI Clubsport S by almost 6 seconds. It's pretty fast. If the rumors of a lower content toned down one at a cheaper price are true I might have to take a look once the lease on the GTI is up or after it bursts into flames because they hosed up some wiring somewhere. Whichever comes first.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What brand of mud flaps should I get for my gti?

I bought the OEM ones online, about $80 for all 4. The parts that required drilling metal I skipped and they are secured very well.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Goddamnit I get to pickup my brand new 2017 RS in two hours. I've waited 5 months since I ordered it, but of course these last two hours are going to drag on for-loving-ever.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

fknlo posted:

Don't think I saw it here, but the new Type R set the new FF Nurburgring lap record at 7 minutes 43.8 seconds. It beat the GTI Clubsport S by almost 6 seconds. It's pretty fast. If the rumors of a lower content toned down one at a cheaper price are true I might have to take a look once the lease on the GTI is up or after it bursts into flames because they hosed up some wiring somewhere. Whichever comes first.

I really want one. In white, natch.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

The new Type R looks like a car I would have liked in high school, 17 years ago. I would be embarrassed to be seen in one at my age.

But, I've also complained about the boy-racer look of the FoST in this thread so YMMV.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

SerCypher posted:

Welcome to the cool kids' club. :coal:

The first time I ever drove stick was on my test drive and 1500 miles later, I'm learning to heel-toe. You'll do fine.

Huge_Midget posted:

Goddamnit I get to pickup my brand new 2017 RS in two hours. I've waited 5 months since I ordered it, but of course these last two hours are going to drag on for-loving-ever.

Post pics.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 26, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

The new Type R looks like a car I would have liked in high school, 17 years ago. I would be embarrassed to be seen in one at my age.

But, I've also complained about the boy-racer look of the FoST in this thread so YMMV.

The Focus ST is pretty restrained compared to the Type R. If you don't go for the yellow one.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Monkey Fracas posted:

The Focus ST is pretty restrained compared to the Type R. If you don't go for the yellow one.
I've got a yellow one. It still looks pretty restrained, but she's mostly stock on the outside - all I've done is put flaps on. 95% of the time I love the colour, especially when I'm looking for it in a parking lot. The other 5% of the time I really wish I got a black or white one, just because I think they're better looking aesthetically.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

Ok maybe you would've liked that R in middle school lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Night Danger Moose posted:

I've got a yellow one. It still looks pretty restrained, but she's mostly stock on the outside - all I've done is put flaps on. 95% of the time I love the colour, especially when I'm looking for it in a parking lot. The other 5% of the time I really wish I got a black or white one, just because I think they're better looking aesthetically.

The yellow is kind of the Focus ST's signature color; remember a lot of the promo photos when it was released being in that color. Gives it some extra personality.

Meanwhile I have the silver one and plasti-dipped the rims dark gray to give it the tiniest bit of flair. Maybe I'll do a light tint on the windows or something, I dunno. Needs a bit of contrast somewhere to break up the color.