Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Testikles posted:

The internet is really what has made us all more rabid and hateful. These are my seven reasons:

1. Humans have very short attention spans. We like quick and easy digestible information. The listicle is only popular because it delivers information in an appealing format. Those short two minute UpWorthy videos are popular because they are easy to watch. Humans are lazy creatures and we enjoy getting the gist of things quickly. It take a lot of effort to sit down and read a book, and unless we're really interested in a topic, that's a high hurdle to jump over if there's something easy close by. The information delivered is less nuanced, more stark, and delivered in simplest terms.

2. poo poo that gets us riled up is more popular. For better or for worse, we like to feel things. Stuff that makes us happy, sad, angry, whatever, is going to be more popular than something overly clinical. Feelings are supposed to be quick summaries of complex information (we don't need to go over the many reasons why we should run when a lion jumps out at us, we just need to be afraid), and it's an easy system to hijack. We're therefore more inclined towards information that provokes a response, not necessarily something that is 'objectively true'.

3. There is too much information. We have near total information about the world. We always assumed that with total information we would make better choices, but now we are so flooded with it, that we can't tell what is actually important anymore. Now when faced with a complex issue we can literally bury ourselves in the details and miss the topic at large. To take a very low level example, if I wanted to go out and buy a car, in previous decades, I'd rely on the salesperson or the automaker for a select set of specs and maybe a magazine review. Maybe I'd consult a few people I know and trust and see what they think. I could mull it over and then decide. Now not only do I have that information, I now online ratings from multiple websites, I have youtube reviews, I have podcasts, I have facebook posts etc.The world is now able to weigh in on my car making decision. I now have to curate this information on my own and create trusted networks that were taken for granted before. But at the same time....

4. The gatekeepers have been bypassed. The internet has opened the floodgates for content creation. Where before we would really have to rely on a very select set of taste makers for our media, now anybody can produce content. Things that used to be hard to come by: the niche, the strange, avant-garde, conspiratorial and underground, are now very capable of being produced and delivered just as quickly as 'mainstream media.' What might have been a 'zine' trade between a few in the know, can suddenly blow up in a Vice article overnight. This has had the great advantage of bringing new talent and content to light that was missed by the gatekeepers. This served also to discredit them too. By intentionally or unintentionally missing information, the gatekeepers can appear ignorant or dishonest. It damages their credibility. People begin to ask why aren't things they find important being covered?

5. The internet destroys and creates tribes. Humans are tribal creatures. We naturally find reasons to cluster together, and they are arbitrary. In the past the easiest reason to form a tribe was by proximity. You lived in the same area and because you lived in the same area, you generally spoke the same way, dressed the same way, and did the same things. As civilization progressed, politics and economics helped shape that too. You could belong to a class, you could be part of a profession, and with proximity, and its offshoot culture, you could be an ethnicity or of a religion. So there were really only so many acceptable or reasonable dimensions of tribe. Regardless of how it forms, the tribe sets out many key things: mores and behaviours. The tribe tells you what to do, how to do it, and why it should be done. No person is completely immune to this.

On the one hand modernism and post-modernism has really screwed around with that. With the hyperfocus on originality and the individual, people feel dislocated from the world at large. People now have to find social meaning through other means and the internet has facilitated that. We can now bond over things that have stronger meanings to us like hobbies, experiences, or unsurprisingly sex. As people come together to discuss stuff, they start forming a community, and then eventually a tribe, complete with insiders and outsiders.

On the other hand, we are now exposed to how different we all are. Whereas before there were issues unspoken, and due to the limits of communication we could just assume that the world around us conformed to our expectations, with the rise of the internet, we suddenly are faced with the fact that people disagree. The large super tribes of government and nation are fraying because we can no longer take it for granted that other people elsewhere in the country, the state, the city, or even our own neighborhoods represent us. We start to cling to our fundamental beliefs in fear of losing ourselves. For conservatives, they might entrench themselves in religion, for liberals, it might be identity politics.

6. We all think we are the good guy. Nobody imagines themselves being the bad guy (excluding the rare case). At worst people might fantasize about being an anti-hero. They have unlikable qualities but these unlikable qualities are precisely what gives them an edge over their enemies. Now because who the good guys are, are defined by your tribe, there will be stark disagreement over who the good guy is in any scenario. Even groups of people who might otherwise agree will get into arguments because they are simply not the 'right' people. This might be fine if it wasn't for the fact that one aspect of being the good guys is often fighting the bad guys. The internet has created the perfect arena for this. With many clashing opinions and meeting tribes, you can now interject yourself into any fray you want to. If somebody is bashing your tribe anywhere at any time, you can be there instantaneously with little effort on your part, to fight the good fight.

Another effect is because we are the good guys, we tend to look for things on the internet that affirm our tribe and our identities within the tribe. It takes a lot to go out and challenge your own belief system and the path of least resistance is to ignore that. We build echo chambers for ourselves and even though many people might pride themselves on being open minded, they are usually only open minded to things that do not disrupt their tribal core beliefs.

7. Best of all, there are no consequences. Where tribal conflicts often meant the threat of violence or even death, the internet removes that from the equation. You can be as vile as you want with little or no repercussions. Things that you might never consider saying to a person's face are all suddenly kosher and because you will never meet this person, there is no reason to give quarter or relent. They are the enemy and their destruction can only mean affirmation of your beliefs.

The conclusion is that we have this scenario: we have rapidly reproducing unfiltered information often lacking nuance flooding the internet. It is difficult to sort through what is important and due to our tribal tendency and our own human faults, we will tend to select the easiest absorbable information, with the greatest emotional appeal, and what conforms to our beliefs. Other people are doing the same, and we are exposed to them. We realize we don't like them very much disassociate from them, and start to form our own social circles. We are constantly bombarded with contrary information, and begin to attack outwards against people who don't agree with us, because they are not like us and are bad people. On their own end they do the same. America is slowly filling up with warring tribes of people who do not follow traditional definitions, and the traditional definitions are falling apart. Everybody is splintering in every direction and there is no reason to compromise.

This is a lot of words to say Hillary lost because no one liked her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CassandraZara posted:

let me know when the most qualified candidate comes around so I don't call them weak

I don't know, george hw bush lookin a little frail these days

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pick posted:

I don't know, george hw bush lookin a little frail these days

You attacked women. It's super effective !!!

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Wow I thought those suspiciously articulate and politically-engaged toddlers of media wonks were made up but I guess they do exist, and Chelsea Clinton is one of them.

quote:

I wrote a letter to President Reagan when I was five to voice my opposition to his visit to the Bitburg cemetery in Germany, because Nazis were buried there. I didn’t think an American president should honor a group of soldiers that included Nazis. President Reagan still went, but at least I had tried in my own small way.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/04/please-god-stop-chelsea-clinton-from-whatever-she-is-doing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Maya Fey posted:

Wow I thought those suspiciously articulate and politically-engaged toddlers of media wonks were made up but I guess they do exist, and Chelsea Clinton is one of them.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/04/please-god-stop-chelsea-clinton-from-whatever-she-is-doing

well I sent a two different people packs of presidental flashcards with notes about which animal they reminded me of and what fetish they were definitely into

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
when I was 5 I asked Santa if he could bomb Libya and he said he'd work on it

shortly afterward, in 1986, we bombed Libya

thanks Santa!

and that President's name was Ronald Reagan, 30 years ahead of Chelsea's mother

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rutibex posted:

i think the trump supporters would have taken the loss more gracefully to be honest

because they wouldn't be in danger.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

Testikles posted:

The internet is really what has made us all more rabid and hateful. These are my seven reasons:

1. Humans have very short attention spans. We like quick and easy digestible information. The listicle is only popular because it delivers information in an appealing format. Those short two minute UpWorthy videos are popular because they are easy to watch. Humans are lazy creatures and we enjoy getting the gist of things quickly. It take a lot of effort to sit down and read a book, and unless we're really interested in a topic, that's a high hurdle to jump over if there's something easy close by. The information delivered is less nuanced, more stark, and delivered in simplest terms.

2. poo poo that gets us riled up is more popular. For better or for worse, we like to feel things. Stuff that makes us happy, sad, angry, whatever, is going to be more popular than something overly clinical. Feelings are supposed to be quick summaries of complex information (we don't need to go over the many reasons why we should run when a lion jumps out at us, we just need to be afraid), and it's an easy system to hijack. We're therefore more inclined towards information that provokes a response, not necessarily something that is 'objectively true'.

3. There is too much information. We have near total information about the world. We always assumed that with total information we would make better choices, but now we are so flooded with it, that we can't tell what is actually important anymore. Now when faced with a complex issue we can literally bury ourselves in the details and miss the topic at large. To take a very low level example, if I wanted to go out and buy a car, in previous decades, I'd rely on the salesperson or the automaker for a select set of specs and maybe a magazine review. Maybe I'd consult a few people I know and trust and see what they think. I could mull it over and then decide. Now not only do I have that information, I now online ratings from multiple websites, I have youtube reviews, I have podcasts, I have facebook posts etc.The world is now able to weigh in on my car making decision. I now have to curate this information on my own and create trusted networks that were taken for granted before. But at the same time....

4. The gatekeepers have been bypassed. The internet has opened the floodgates for content creation. Where before we would really have to rely on a very select set of taste makers for our media, now anybody can produce content. Things that used to be hard to come by: the niche, the strange, avant-garde, conspiratorial and underground, are now very capable of being produced and delivered just as quickly as 'mainstream media.' What might have been a 'zine' trade between a few in the know, can suddenly blow up in a Vice article overnight. This has had the great advantage of bringing new talent and content to light that was missed by the gatekeepers. This served also to discredit them too. By intentionally or unintentionally missing information, the gatekeepers can appear ignorant or dishonest. It damages their credibility. People begin to ask why aren't things they find important being covered?

5. The internet destroys and creates tribes. Humans are tribal creatures. We naturally find reasons to cluster together, and they are arbitrary. In the past the easiest reason to form a tribe was by proximity. You lived in the same area and because you lived in the same area, you generally spoke the same way, dressed the same way, and did the same things. As civilization progressed, politics and economics helped shape that too. You could belong to a class, you could be part of a profession, and with proximity, and its offshoot culture, you could be an ethnicity or of a religion. So there were really only so many acceptable or reasonable dimensions of tribe. Regardless of how it forms, the tribe sets out many key things: mores and behaviours. The tribe tells you what to do, how to do it, and why it should be done. No person is completely immune to this.

On the one hand modernism and post-modernism has really screwed around with that. With the hyperfocus on originality and the individual, people feel dislocated from the world at large. People now have to find social meaning through other means and the internet has facilitated that. We can now bond over things that have stronger meanings to us like hobbies, experiences, or unsurprisingly sex. As people come together to discuss stuff, they start forming a community, and then eventually a tribe, complete with insiders and outsiders.

On the other hand, we are now exposed to how different we all are. Whereas before there were issues unspoken, and due to the limits of communication we could just assume that the world around us conformed to our expectations, with the rise of the internet, we suddenly are faced with the fact that people disagree. The large super tribes of government and nation are fraying because we can no longer take it for granted that other people elsewhere in the country, the state, the city, or even our own neighborhoods represent us. We start to cling to our fundamental beliefs in fear of losing ourselves. For conservatives, they might entrench themselves in religion, for liberals, it might be identity politics.

6. We all think we are the good guy. Nobody imagines themselves being the bad guy (excluding the rare case). At worst people might fantasize about being an anti-hero. They have unlikable qualities but these unlikable qualities are precisely what gives them an edge over their enemies. Now because who the good guys are, are defined by your tribe, there will be stark disagreement over who the good guy is in any scenario. Even groups of people who might otherwise agree will get into arguments because they are simply not the 'right' people. This might be fine if it wasn't for the fact that one aspect of being the good guys is often fighting the bad guys. The internet has created the perfect arena for this. With many clashing opinions and meeting tribes, you can now interject yourself into any fray you want to. If somebody is bashing your tribe anywhere at any time, you can be there instantaneously with little effort on your part, to fight the good fight.

Another effect is because we are the good guys, we tend to look for things on the internet that affirm our tribe and our identities within the tribe. It takes a lot to go out and challenge your own belief system and the path of least resistance is to ignore that. We build echo chambers for ourselves and even though many people might pride themselves on being open minded, they are usually only open minded to things that do not disrupt their tribal core beliefs.

7. Best of all, there are no consequences. Where tribal conflicts often meant the threat of violence or even death, the internet removes that from the equation. You can be as vile as you want with little or no repercussions. Things that you might never consider saying to a person's face are all suddenly kosher and because you will never meet this person, there is no reason to give quarter or relent. They are the enemy and their destruction can only mean affirmation of your beliefs.

The conclusion is that we have this scenario: we have rapidly reproducing unfiltered information often lacking nuance flooding the internet. It is difficult to sort through what is important and due to our tribal tendency and our own human faults, we will tend to select the easiest absorbable information, with the greatest emotional appeal, and what conforms to our beliefs. Other people are doing the same, and we are exposed to them. We realize we don't like them very much disassociate from them, and start to form our own social circles. We are constantly bombarded with contrary information, and begin to attack outwards against people who don't agree with us, because they are not like us and are bad people. On their own end they do the same. America is slowly filling up with warring tribes of people who do not follow traditional definitions, and the traditional definitions are falling apart. Everybody is splintering in every direction and there is no reason to compromise.

:yeah:

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Groovelord Neato posted:

oh nooooooooooo the Trump Gestapo will get me!

*ignores roving gangs of black clad leftists*

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
People mad at or scared of antifa are the biggest loving babies in the world.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

oh nooooooooooo the Trump Gestapo will get me!

*ignores roving gangs of black clad leftists*

this country is going to get worse for women and minorities (jeff sessions is ag and is already whining about how mean we are to cops) and you bring up loving antifa. like how loving dumb are you.

Pick posted:

See this is very American though, which is the demonization of the loser. You ostracise them, No True Scotman them, etc. But the reality is, Hillary stood for what you wanted. You just don't want to admit that you lost because your views stood for you and not for a huge proportion of the country. SA is a bastion of 30-something white tech guys who received every benefit from Obama and stood to gain more from the next Obama at bat. But you can't swallow your pride and admit that it wasn't the candidate that was the problem, it's what you, the voter, wanted. Other people didn't want that stuff, they saw you'd gotten more than your fair share already.

this is just about as dumb as vikingskull up there. i wanted sanders because he'd make the country better for everyone who wasn't me (upper middle class straight white guy). clinton would've just been status quo for me and made things worse for those unlike me.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're insanely loving stupid.

this country is going to get worse for women and minorities (jeff sessions is ag and is already whining about how mean we are to cops) and you bring up loving antifa. like how loving dumb are you.

I'm the moron not only claiming that Trump is going to round up and exterminate women and minorities but that antifas are good.

Like maybe you watched too much Captain Planet and think that Trump is an evil dude who will of course want to stomp out diversity because as we all know diversity = power of some sort?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

theperminator posted:

I'm the moron not only claiming that Trump is going to round up and exterminate women and minorities but that antifas are good.

nobody claimed any of this. why respond to someone just to make yourself look like a loving idiot. can't wait for the next neckbeard to chime in with a bad faith argument because their brains don't work.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
the President is a dictator and the piss tape is of him urinating on checks and balances

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody claimed any of this. maybe you shouldn't be calling people what you are. why respond to someone just to make yourself look like a loving idiot. can't wait for the next braindead neckbeard to chime in.

Oh sorry you only implied it my bad

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

there was no such implication. there's quite a vast gulf between "things will get worse" and "rounded up in death camps". i know you aren't bright but meet me partway here.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

there was no such implication. there's quite a vast gulf between "things will get worse" and "rounded up in death camps". i know you aren't bright but meet partway here.

Well generally the same whiny babies who make the hyperbolic unsubstantiated claims that things are going to get worse for minorities it's because the people they don't like are nazis

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

there was no such implication. there's quite a vast gulf between "things will get worse" and "rounded up in death camps". i know you aren't bright but meet me partway here.

"things will get worse" and "people are in danger" aren't the same thing

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

VikingSkull posted:

I'm sure things are gonna totally get worse but not too worse, like mesh shirts are going to get more expensive under Trump because of import taxes or something

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
People mad at or scared of alt-right are the biggest loving babies in the world.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groovelord Neato posted:

i know that on some primitive level this idea has portions of truth to it, but i still hate you and want to disagree with you about everything and i take pleasure in knowing that those of your mindset have no political power at all at the moment.

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VikingSkull posted:

there are at least 10 different anecdotal claims going around that white supremacists etc. are doing things like attacking people in parking lots because they think they can get away with it now

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

ArgumentatumE.C.T. posted:

there are at least 10 different anecdotal claims going around that white supremacists etc. are doing things like attacking people in parking lots because they think they can get away with it now

And plenty of incidents of antifas beating up innocent people accusing them of the crime of voting

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Does she apologise for simultaneously being completely repellent and dirty tricksing Bernie loving Sanders then handing the whole world over to the Trumpenreich?

This is important info for my Amazon wishlist

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

theperminator posted:

I'm sure things are gonna totally get worse but not too worse, like mesh shirts are going to get more expensive under Trump because of import taxes or something

ah poo poo there goes my saturday nights

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Berious posted:

Does she apologise for simultaneously being completely repellent and dirty tricksing Bernie loving Sanders then handing the whole world over to the Trumpenreich?

This is important info for my Amazon wishlist

Lol no. At the end of the book she totally refuses to take responsibility for her defeat and jokingly blames "the FBI, the KGB, and the KKK". Literally the day after, Mook and Podesta go back to campaign headquarters to start work on spinning a Russians rigged the election narrative. She even blames Obama for not coming out and saying the election was being rigged. Essentially she has learned absolutely nothing and probably never will.

quote:

From Hillary’s perspective, external forces created a perfect storm that wiped her out. In this telling, laid out in scores of interviews with Clinton campaign aides and advisers for this book, the media bought into an absurd and partisan Republican-led investigation into her e-mail server that combined with Bernie Sanders’s attack on her character and a conservative assault on the Clinton Foundation’s practices to sow a public perception that she was fundamentally dishonest. From there, Comey’s unprecedented public condemnation of her handling of the server, the Russian cyberattacks on the DNC and Podesta’s e-mail account, and new voter ID laws suppressed support for her. In a twist, Clintonworld sources said, Comey’s final exoneration of her enraged Trump backers and pushed them to the polls in droves. Along the way, they said, misogyny played a quiet role in turning men against her without an offsetting boost in support from women. Her most ardent defenders maintain that she nailed every major moment of the campaign. “Those debates were her. The Benghazi hearing. Her convention speech. Her getting off the mat in New Hampshire,” said one senior campaign aide. “She just does not give up.”

But another view, articulated by a much smaller number of her close friends and high-level advisers, holds that Hillary bears the blame for her defeat. This case rests on the theory that Hillary’s actions before the campaign—setting up the private server, putting her name on the Clinton Foundation, and giving speeches to Wall Street banks in a time of rising populism—hamstrung her own chances so badly that she couldn’t recover. She was unable to prove to many voters that she was running for the presidency because she had a vision for the country rather than visions of power. And she couldn’t cast herself as anything but a lifelong insider when so much of the country had lost faith in its institutions and yearned for a fresh approach to governance. All of it fed a narrative of dynastic privilege that was woefully out of touch with the sentiment of the American electorate.

“We lost because of Clinton Inc.,” one close friend and adviser lamented. “The reality is Clinton Inc. was great for her for years and she had all the institutional benefits. But it was an albatross around the campaign.”

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody claimed any of this.

All the LIBTARDS on my FB feed did.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
One of the best parts about the whole thing was that Obama stood by and did nothing like he did for most of his term.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Harrower posted:

One of the best parts about the whole thing was that Obama stood by and did nothing like he did for most of his term.

You mean for Hillary? Because Obama killed the poo poo out of a lot of people.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

spacetoaster posted:

This is like baseline for presidents though. Literally cant get the job if you wont gladly tell america your going to use Hunter Killers to track down and slaughter arab children, and do it too

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah. Once election night came and went he just took a huge step back and barely said anything.

Of course he was signing off on drone strikes and commando raids the entire time. That was sort of his deal.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Harrower posted:

Yeah. Once election night came and went he just took a huge step back and barely said anything.

Of course he was signing off on drone strikes and commando raids the entire time. That was sort of his deal.

He didn't do poo poo because he had just told Trump to stop moaning about how the election was rigged. What was he supposed to do, turn around and say "jk it's rigged actually, im not gonna let you into the whitehouse"?

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

skasion posted:

He didn't do poo poo because he had just told Trump to stop moaning about how the election was rigged. What was he supposed to do, turn around and say "jk it's rigged actually, im not gonna let you into the whitehouse"?

If Trump is such a huge threat to America and the world in general that's exactly what he should have done. So either Trump isn't that bad, or Obama neglected his sworn duty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Harrower posted:

If Trump is such a huge threat to America and the world in general that's exactly what he should have done. So either Trump isn't that bad, or Obama neglected his sworn duty.

It's the former. Trump is a dickhead but he's not Hitler and there's frankly no convincing reason to suspect there was anything irregular about his election. Hell, even if he were Hitler, Obama doesn't get to decide who his successor is. He literally did not have any authority to deny Trump the presidency and it would have been more damaging to the republic and the rule of law if he had tried to prevent Trump from assuming the office.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i know that on some primitive level this idea has portions of truth to it, but i still hate you and want to disagree with you about everything and i take pleasure in knowing that those of your mindset have no political power at all at the moment.

i was right, there is no "primitive level" or "portions of truth". it's kinda sad you admit to having the mindset of an angry high school nerdling. you're glad the people with the moral and correct stances have no political power lol

theperminator posted:

And plenty of incidents of antifas beating up innocent people accusing them of the crime of voting

i don't think antifas should just beat the poo poo out of random folks but you're making a false equivalence - there are far more examples of hate crimes being perpetrated against minorities and the fact these same people control all the branches of government right now.

skasion posted:

It's the former. Trump is a dickhead but he's not Hitler and there's frankly no convincing reason to suspect there was anything irregular about his election. Hell, even if he were Hitler, Obama doesn't get to decide who his successor is. He literally did not have any authority to deny Trump the presidency and it would have been more damaging to the republic and the rule of law if he had tried to prevent Trump from assuming the office.

i think it's more people wanted him to (rightfully) say "this guy is an enormous dumbass".

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 22, 2017

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you're glad the people with the moral and correct stances have no political power lol

which people?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

is that more or less than what is usual in America

is it more convenient to report on said already occurring incidents to fit a narrative

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't think antifas should just beat the poo poo out of random folks but you're making a false equivalence - there are far more examples of hate crimes being perpetrated against minorities and the fact these same people control all the branches of government right now.

haha that's complete bullshit. 90% of the time the media trots out some "hate crime" it either ends up being completely imaginary or a false flag. Like the arab guy who wrote anti-muslim slurs on his own house. Or the Israeli kid calling in bomb threats to temples. Or the "vandalized" Jewish cemetery that had actually just fallen into disrepair.

fake hate crime:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-concordia-university-bomb-threats-1.4006151

real hate crimes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d31ro8cBpfk

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
That second video rules. Go back to pol you whiny poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

The shame is I bet Clinton could have run successfully on a totally Anti-Trump platform, she just chose the wrong things to highlight. Playing up Trump the con man, Trump the rear end in a top hat boss, Trump the rich, out of touch piece of poo poo who is using his voters only to gently caress them over once he's in power.

They literally did this with stunning success to a boring Mormon dad 4 years prior. Here you have the embodiment of unchecked capitalist privilege and excess and you went with... Dangerous Donald?

you're so close to the heart of the matter

• Locked thread