Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So I'm gonna try to go through Devil Survivor Overclocked and Record Breaker. Is Overclocked a "Physical only Protag" or a "Magic Only Protag" kind of SMT game?

Yes because of how skills are distributed. You only have enough decent physical skills for one party member and magic is way more flexible a build for the MC and your party composition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Strange Quark posted:

Yes because of how skills are distributed. You only have enough decent physical skills for one party member and magic is way more flexible a build for the MC and your party composition.

Wizard it is then.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wizard it is then.

Overclocked does kind of make it a little more feasible to run more than one physical character, but that option really isn't going to be available until really late. Just run magic and never turn back for DeSu1. DeSu2 on the other hand makes it a lot more feasible to do either a Str or a Mag build, so go nuts.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Do Physical Builds at least have bonus damage for the Devil's Fuge? I never went Physical in DeSu but I've thought about it for that reason, if it's even valid

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think so, but my only real memories of DeSu 1 at this point are going through the late game nuking everything with Agidyne for 1000 damage

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm fairly certain Devil's Fuge scales with level and not actual Str. The only reason I put any points into Str for DeSu1's MC is so I can stick Repel Phys on him and never worry about physical damage ever again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Navarre is back and uh... rip his voice. New one's fine, but Liam O' Brien will be missed.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mandatory lesbian posted:

Do Physical Builds at least have bonus damage for the Devil's Fuge? I never went Physical in DeSu but I've thought about it for that reason, if it's even valid
Far as I remember, that fight is completely Level-based.

Captain Baal posted:

Navarre is back and uh... rip his voice. New one's fine, but Liam O' Brien will be missed.
Liam O'Brien was "perfect asshat" fit for Navarre. :(

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Random question cause P5 has me jonesing for more atlus goodness: is it just me, or does the ps3 version of dds have a bit if slowdown going on? It feels slower that it ought to be.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

BrightWing posted:

Random question cause P5 has me jonesing for more atlus goodness: is it just me, or does the ps3 version of dds have a bit if slowdown going on? It feels slower that it ought to be.

Nothing can be worse than some of the copies of DDS on PS2 which had literally 30 second + loading freezes at the start of battles and stats screens.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
My DDS copies had that and it's been the deciding factor on why I haven't played those games yet

Captain Baal posted:

[navarre voice] My name is NAVAAARHE! NAVAAAAAARHE!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I really wish there was some way to play Nocturne on my PS4. I don't need high definition or trophies just give me what the PS3 got.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kinda want to play another Persona after finishing 5. Don't want to just go to 4 right now, so I am thinking of playing the PSP copies I have for Persona 1, 2, or 3. It been ages since I beat Persona 1 (the old Revelation Persona version back in the late 90s) and Persona 3 (FES), so both versions are new experiences. I never played much of 2, but dunno if I want to play that instead of the other two.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
2 is definitely a very different experience, playwise.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Rirse posted:

I never played much of 2

Please fix this immediately.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Dragonatrix posted:

Please fix this immediately.

Please.

And keep in mind that you'll be fine as long as you find and use fusion spells.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I was thinking going with 2. I have both versions on the Vita (Innocence Sin and Eternal Punishment), but how janky will the PS1 game be when I get done with Innocence Sin, since US didn't get the PSP remake for it?

Besides, will be amusing since going to another Persona about a Joker.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Dagda sure likes to ruin the mood, huh?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Bring back Nameless for more velvet tunes please.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Yeah I was thinking going with 2. I have both versions on the Vita (Innocence Sin and Eternal Punishment), but how janky will the PS1 game be when I get done with Innocence Sin, since US didn't get the PSP remake for it?

Besides, will be amusing since going to another Persona about a Joker.

The gameplay is identical but the menus and general feel is far less sleek. The strangeness of the translation bothers me far more to be honest.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Gaius Marius posted:

The gameplay is identical but the menus and general feel is far less sleek. The strangeness of the translation bothers me far more to be honest.

Oh yeah, the names in Eternal Punishment are a hybrid of the ones from Japanese and the old Revelation Persona translation?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Captain Baal posted:

There are several scenes where you can pretty much imagine Dagda going "But mooooooom!"

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah, they got Sean Chiplock to fill in. He's not bad at all but the difference is immediately noticeable.

Not sure if you got to him yet but when you do, what do you think of Krishna's voice? Considering his... performance in P5.

Captain Baal posted:

Pureauthor posted:

There are several scenes where you can pretty much imagine Dagda going "But mooooooom!"
Dagda is cool at times but he is in fact a giant party pooper.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 22, 2017

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rirse posted:

Oh yeah, the names in Eternal Punishment are a hybrid of the ones from Japanese and the old Revelation Persona translation?

I'm not familiar with the names in Revelations but they end up being like Hama-on and Agiaon and such. Similar enough that it doesn't cause confusion but just ends up feeling off. Likewise I believe there are no honorifics, and they had to keep some of the revelations names to keep continuity even if they were changed in localization so you see Mary in the game instead of Maki.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HGH posted:

Yeah, they got Sean Chiplock to fill in. He's not bad at all but the difference is immediately noticeable.

Not sure if you got to him yet but when you do, what do you think of Krishna's voice? Considering his... performance in P5.

He sounds pretty good for the little I heard of him just now. Idk what the hell they were doing with Jalen Cassell in P5, but he sounds like absolute rear end there.

It's still absolutely amazing to me the crossover between this game and P5, it's like they got four people for P5 who weren't already in the SMTIVA dub and left it at that. I think the amount of crossover I've heard is in the double digits by this point and that's even more than what happened with VLR, a game that had this exact same thing going on. I think this is the most I have ever heard another game's cast get transplanted into another game, it boggles the mind and makes P5's dub feel the weaker one in every way.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dagda really does make the game. Especially as he gives you an insight what it is like to be alignment hero.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also good new Odin design. Idk who the new artist is they hired but all of his designs so far have been much better than the abominations that were most of the new SMTIV demon designs.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The artist is Masayuki Doi, AKA the artist who did the human designs in SMT4.

Edit: Whoops, I thought he did Minotaur. My bad.

Pureauthor fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 22, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, he also did the actual character designs in SMTIV and for this game, that's cool.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
all he wanted to do was draw doctors with time control powers and now he's drawing earth moms.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

D.C. Douglas is so drat good as Odin.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't think of a role D.C. Douglas isn't good in

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You stole my heart using your poo poo abilities

Terper fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 22, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DC Douglas was amazing as the gay dance instructor from dancing all night

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I like everything about Odin in 4A, I haven't enjoyed a norse god in a SMT game so much since senator Thorman. DC Douglas really did a good job here too. EDIT: Whoops, really late on this one heh.

Captain Baal posted:

He sounds pretty good for the little I heard of him just now. Idk what the hell they were doing with Jalen Cassell in P5, but he sounds like absolute rear end there.

It's still absolutely amazing to me the crossover between this game and P5, it's like they got four people for P5 who weren't already in the SMTIVA dub and left it at that. I think the amount of crossover I've heard is in the double digits by this point and that's even more than what happened with VLR, a game that had this exact same thing going on. I think this is the most I have ever heard another game's cast get transplanted into another game, it boggles the mind and makes P5's dub feel the weaker one in every way.
Yeah, I thought Krishna was done well enough which is why I was confused when I heard about his P5 performance.

It is in fact easier to count the people in SMT4A who DON'T reprise in P5. They're Cindy Robinson, Todd Haberkorn and the guys who does Merkaba and Maitreya. That leaves 15 other VAs(excluding unnamed extras/incidental voices) who all showed up in P5 in some capacity. And honestly yeah, I think SMT4A has a better dub, but I feel it's an overall weaker story and a much shorter script probably.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Who is the most powerful in universe SMT/spinoff protagonist?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Makoto

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's rough... People used to say Aleph cause he beat YHVH. The SMT4A guy(Nanashi I think?) might be up there though if that's all it takes. If we're going for spinoffs... Seraph maybe?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Demi-fiend in True Demon Ending. You lead the army of hell against heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HGH posted:

Yeah, I thought Krishna was done well enough which is why I was confused when I heard about his P5 performance.

Alder posted:

Demi-fiend in True Demon Ending. You lead the army of hell against heaven.

It does make sense though. The voice he used for both characters had this almost lyrical quality to it, so it works perfectly for Krishna but not at all for the Mafia boss.

Also depending on the ending you get Nanashi is the most powerful protagonist.