Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Had my oil changed at an express lube in Los Angeles on my way to Vegas for a weekend. When I cycled through my DIC my tire pressure sensors said 50 psi. The max listed on the tires. I went back and told the manager to watch his monkeys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

1500quidporsche posted:

The whole mechanic mentality drives me nuts, you talk to any of them and they'll go on about how you have to absolutely fix any minor issue but then they'll half rear end the job and cut corners when it comes time to actually do it.

You've been going to some really lovely mechanics.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fifty Three posted:

All this talk of impacts is making me realize that switching my wheels twice a year using the emergency toolkit wrench is loving dumb.

Are cordless impacts worth a poo poo for that sort of thing? I don't have a compressor nor room for a compressor. I could be convinced to use an electric impact in lieu of a cordless one. I'll use a torque stick, I promise.

Would you use it for more than just changing wheels? At the high end of the spectrum (the Dewalt I posted above, Milwaukee 2763 or IR 7150) lug nuts aren't even a challenge, but if all you're going to use it for are wheels it'd be a bit silly to spend $400+ on a tool you'll use twice a year.

That said...my DCF899 was able to extract three out of four factory original M14 subframe bolts on my 15 year old Focus (that has spent 13 of those years in the rust belt) without much trouble, fourth came out only after liberal application of penetrating oil and a blow torch.

On the upside once you have a battery & charger you can start buying additional tools in the same lineup without the battery for relatively cheap - I'm already eying an angle grinder, sawzall and leaf blower that use the same 20v battery.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Do what I do and buy a 18-20v li-ion drill and driver combo kit from one of the usual suspects (Ryobi, Ridgid, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch?) and a breaker bar. To remove a lug nut, get it started about 1/4 turn with the breaker bar, and use the impact driver to get it the rest of the way off. Installation is the reverse of removal.

I love owning an impact driver because I find the worst part of wrenching is actually turning a wrench, and it's not so powerful that it's gonna destroy your poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Fifty Three posted:

All this talk of impacts is making me realize that switching my wheels twice a year using the emergency toolkit wrench is loving dumb.

Are cordless impacts worth a poo poo for that sort of thing? I don't have a compressor nor room for a compressor. I could be convinced to use an electric impact in lieu of a cordless one. I'll use a torque stick, I promise.
As posted above, if that's all you need it for, it's probably quite an expenditure to make one relatively rare task a little easier, especially if you want to get one that has some muscle to it.

While I do use an impact gun because it's quicker to buzz stuff off with one, I only really make use of it to initially crack things loose when it's where the nature of an impact is helpful, i.e. it's on a shaft, flywheel or similar that'll turn under torque application. For most general stuff I'll use a breaker bar, and a large man on a yard-long bar gives more torque than all but the biggest guns for about :20bux:.

For small stuff, an impact driver that you smack with a hammer is fantastic for things like old Phillips screws, because the nature of how it works drives it hard into the head.

In your situation, I'd just get a simple 18"-24" breaker bar and a cheap torque wrench, and spend the rest of what it'd cost you for an impact gun on tools as and when you need to do jobs.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I find that a cross wrench works great for lugs, and although I have a jnnythndrs impact, I hardly ever drag it out for lugs unless something's real hosed or if I have it out anyway. The star wrench is kind of the best out of a speed handle and a breaker bar, plus you can use both sides of it, so I keep one in my trunk pretty much all the time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a plug-in hammerhead impact that I break out for Tire Day or Subframe Day, and just use a breaker bar for other things.

Horrible Toolchat Failures Thread

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Torn Quad Jones posted:

I am imagining this and I am completely terrified. ........what if it strips out the bone :gonk:

In most cases there's another leg just a few inches away. Also, they can go in humeral heads and the sternum!

BRAP

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

tetrapyloctomy posted:

In most cases there's another leg just a few inches away. Also, they can go in humeral heads and the sternum!

BRAP

Between you and the surgeon who posts on GRM I'm starting to wonder if I should just be doing my own work at home because I can't shake the feeling you guys are flat-rating it.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Between you and the surgeon who posts on GRM I'm starting to wonder if I should just be doing my own work at home because I can't shake the feeling you guys are flat-rating it.
The problem with doing it at home is that the diagnostic tools are really expensive. Luckily, they're not manufacturer-specific.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The problem with doing it at home is that the diagnostic tools are really expensive. Luckily, they're not manufacturer-specific.
You can use a hand-held Black & Decker to drill for bone pins just fine, according to my dad.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

rdb posted:

The 7pm on a Sunday part is why I want my own tire machines. I hate having to take a half day to sit around a tire shop only to pay markup on a half rear end install and balance job.

All I really need now is my own balancer. I think my manual changer will handle the car tires I have.

I move into my new house with a triple garage end of next week. I swear to god, if there is still room after I get all my poo poo in there I'm going to keep my eyes open for some tire mounting/balancing equipment.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
A friend and his brothers have mounting and balancing equipment they keep in their parent's garage. They do the tires to practically everyone that knows them. Biggest problem seems to be the mountain of old tires they are left with.

Couple weeks ago I went to tire shop for balancing because I wasn't able to visit my friend. Didn't fix the shaking. I just should have found a way to have the balancing done by someone that has his heart in it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I can see some insane fucker prepping a cnc machine, clamping themselves on the work table and starting it up as they lose conciousness from anaesthetic

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I can see some insane fucker prepping a cnc machine, clamping themselves on the work table and starting it up as they lose conciousness from anaesthetic

That is some pro-level post/user name combo.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Saukkis posted:

A friend and his brothers have mounting and balancing equipment they keep in their parent's garage. They do the tires to practically everyone that knows them. Biggest problem seems to be the mountain of old tires they are left with.

My local tire guy chucks the old tires into his backyard and then the 4-H club sends kids over to pick up the tires and give them to the recycling depot for the deposit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Do what I do and buy a 18-20v li-ion drill and driver combo kit from one of the usual suspects (Ryobi, Ridgid, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch?) and a breaker bar. To remove a lug nut, get it started about 1/4 turn with the breaker bar, and use the impact driver to get it the rest of the way off. Installation is the reverse of removal.

I love owning an impact driver because I find the worst part of wrenching is actually turning a wrench, and it's not so powerful that it's gonna destroy your poo poo.

Yes, the great thing about my Ryobi 18v NiCd is that it's not actually powerful enough to overtorque the lugs when I put them back on. It's still another 1/2 turn with the torque wrench after the driver maxes out.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Before pressing start they give their kid an emergency stop switch and a spatter shield, and tell them only to hit the switch if the garage catches fire.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I took a welding class at a technical school which had a device for checking compressive strength in the fabrication shop. It was capable of something like 100 tons of compressive force. The instructor told us that a former employee of the school had committed suicide by putting his head in it and turning it on.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I took a welding class at a technical school which had a device for checking compressive strength in the fabrication shop. It was capable of something like 100 tons of compressive force. The instructor told us that a former employee of the school had committed suicide by putting his head in it and turning it on.

This begs the question...

...What was the compressive strength of his dome?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

MrYenko posted:

This begs the question...

...What was the compressive strength of his dome?

Unfortunately he didn't include that number as part of the story.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

So he snapped after being unable to handle the pressure?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

God that's horrific to think about. Then I started thinking about work holding and what you would program. Then I thought about having it start with a part probe booping them on the nose to pickup z and lost my poo poo.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Saukkis posted:

Couple weeks ago I went to tire shop for balancing because I wasn't able to visit my friend. Didn't fix the shaking. I just should have found a way to have the balancing done by someone that has his heart in it.

I cut them in half and toss them in the dumpster. My former trash company didn't care, but they just got bought out. If that's no longer an option there is a tire recycler 40 minutes away who buys them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FogHelmut posted:

Yes, the great thing about my Ryobi 18v NiCd is that it's not actually powerful enough to overtorque the lugs when I put them back on. It's still another 1/2 turn with the torque wrench after the driver maxes out.

Milwaukee 18 V here. Same poo poo. Good enough to get them nice and snug, but still needs a half turn or so to torque.
I just wish that bitch had enough reverse torque to take them off. But I've got a corded electric impact for that stuff.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
It's so much faster just to use a 24" breaker bar than to sit there listening to the Dewalt 20v try to get up the oomph to get lugnuts off that I often don't even bother getting the latter out of the tool chest even though it's nice to have just for the quick ZRRCH to get the lugnuts off the whole way. Breaker bar, speed wrench, click torque wrench.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

FogHelmut posted:

NiCd? How old is that? Does it take the post or slide batteries?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

cakesmith handyman posted:

I just got a harbor fright impact driver with a NiCad battery. NiCad was the poo poo for RC cars before NiMh came out. drat I'm getting old.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
A cordless impact with enough torque to take off lugnuts is :discourse:

Hell, I use them on pretty much larger bolt. Why not make the job faster?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BloodBag posted:

I just got a harbor fright impact driver with a NiCad battery. NiCad was the poo poo for RC cars before NiMh came out. drat I'm getting old.
I still think one of my favourite bits of naming cheekiness is that there's a brand of (normal, lead-acid) car batteries called "Lion".

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

C&CC magazine has a piece this month on weight reduction. They recommend amongst other things replacing your £100 lead acid deep cycle battery with a Li-Ion powerpack at half the weight! Only £2400!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I didn't know what a speed wrench was until today. That's a nifty looking tool that I just ordered. I figure 1/2" is fine, right?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BloodBag posted:

We were looking for a small portable vacuum (like a dustbuster) for the house and was surprised to find most were NiCad. Ended up with a Lion for about $5 more.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Beach Bum posted:

I didn't know what a speed wrench was until today. That's a nifty looking tool that I just ordered. I figure 1/2" is fine, right?

A half-inch speed handle is a big motherfucker. I never carried one, but I used my 1/4 and 3/8 drive versions a LOT.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
I got a 1/2" drive speed wrench just so I can use the same socket for that, the breaker bar, and the torque wrench. Plus it all fits in the storage spot near my spare tire.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

6 or 7 years? The lithium ones were brand new at the time and these were relatively inexpensive. They work fine for the amount of usage they get.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Those will take the lithium ion batteries, it's well worth the upgrade.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Those will take the lithium ion batteries, it's well worth the upgrade.

Does it give them more power, or just lighter weight/longer life?

I would upgrade to something that would come closer to plug-in, not just battery but a whole new set if reasonable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lion batteries are smaller, allowing more voltage for the same size as a nicad. Lithium ion doesn't drain charge as fast when sitting idle either (probably not an issue for tools that actually get used).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
The biggest problem with Liion batteries only really comes up in winter and fall. They cannot take the cold, like at all. I had a Ryobi permanently die after 2 charges because I had left it overnight in the gararge when it was 10º F