Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

rip Canada most likely, because glorious Trump land still gets it day of release

i mean, that says "play on release day!" only for the digital version where you get a key. the physical copy probably still won't arrive until after the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cardboard Box posted:

i mean, that says "play on release day!" only for the digital version where you get a key. the physical copy probably still won't arrive until after the weekend.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oh for some reason my eyes completely glossed over that part lol

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Cardboard Box posted:

oh for some reason my eyes completely glossed over that part lol

Sorry, i shoulda have posted the most relevant part, and sorry for my loud big pixels.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just :lol: if you order physical MK8 Deluxe instead of digital

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Infinitum posted:

*struggles to change small light cartridge from time to time, dies*

Also I'll take saving 12 bucks on the front end and making back 30-45 on the back end for the insane trouble of said cart changing.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Don't you DARE try to get me into anime

Nov 24, 2014

strap on revenge posted:

can i power my switch in dock mode with usb-c phone charger? i want to take the dock overseas with me but don't want to have to take the power brick + converter

I mean try it out, but...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

A standalone macbook USB-C charger charges the switch fine, but if you plug that charger into the dock itself the switch will bitch about nonstandard chargers and refuse to switch display outputs.

Oddly the Switch Charger will charge my laptop but not my phone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinitum posted:

:yeah: I made the mistake of going physical for Zelda. A mistake I won't make for MK8D

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Also I'll take saving 12 bucks on the front end and making back 30-45 on the back end for the insane trouble of said cart changing.

Reselling games is illegal, you're stealing profits from Nintendo.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
digital games are not worth anything

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Reselling games is illegal, you're stealing profits from Nintendo.

W..wait!... gently caress. Ok time to go digital.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I think single player games are A-OK to buy physical.

Multiplayer games you always want to have access to should be digital purchases so they always live on your system.
MK8 + Splat2n should be digital, so when it's late night and you're in bed playing a quick 5min online match you don't need to go swapping carts around.

BotW + Mario Odyssey are fine for a physical purchase to try and get max savings on your purchase.
Single player games are usually a "Ok I've finished this, what's next" style experiences, so they don't need to 'live' on your system

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'll buy digital when it's not £20 more expensive

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

there are merits to both physical and digital media and it's nice that there are options so people can go with whichever suits their needs and lifestyle

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

there are merits to both physical and digital media and it's nice that there are options so people can go with whichever suits their needs and lifestyle

:yeah:

(But buy MK8 Deluxe digital yo)

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm buying MK8D PHYSICALLY

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Who the gently caress plays more than one or two multiplayer games in a span of a few hours, let alone has time for that? I seriously think the convenience of digital is overblown and hugely outweighed by savings and resale.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I'm buying physical but I'm never reselling my copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Just :lol: if you can't taste your Mario Kartridge.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Digital media rules. Especially on a system like the switch. It's basically designed from the ground up to be digital only and in fact all the testing proves that buying dumb little physical plastic carts in big plastic boxes leads to the longest possible loading times.

BUUUUUUT I'LL BE ABLE TO SAVE $10 AND THEN MAYBE GET $30 BACK WHEN I GET SICK OF PLAYING MARIO KART

Jesus loving Christ get a better job. 30 or 40 dollars? Who cares?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope MK8 distinguishes who has it physically so I can block them and never play with.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope MK8 distinguishes who has it physically so I can block them and never play with.

They'll literally be the retards holding everyone else up and wasting everyone else's time loading in slow as gently caress when everyone else is ready to start a multiplayer race

I wish I was joking

monkeu fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 22, 2017

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I already have to carry a case for my switch, and if my switch case gets stolen I lose my switch too and can't get it back. I also can lend carts to a friend.

The only benefit of digital is relying on your SD card for speed or you know, getting that few seconds of extra gaming from an easy switch to another game.

Lol if you prefer digital at all for this minor perk, double lol of you think nintendo rewards will give you anything back

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Sakurazuka posted:

I'll buy digital when it's not £20 more expensive

I can pay 32 dollars for physical Puyo Puyo Tetris, or I can pay 30 dollars for digital that I can take anywhere and can never possibly forget because it's always on my Switch.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

monkeu posted:

Digital media rules. Especially on a system like the switch. It's basically designed from the ground up to be digital only and in fact all the testing proves that buying dumb little physical plastic carts in big plastic boxes leads to the longest possible loading times.

BUUUUUUT I'LL BE ABLE TO SAVE $10 AND THEN MAYBE GET $30 BACK WHEN I GET SICK OF PLAYING MARIO KART

speaking as someone who has dealt with financial hardship where "getting a better job" was not necessarily an option, for some people that $30-40 adds up

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

monkeu posted:

:woop: there's the poverty argument I was waiting for!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

monkeu posted:

Look at this rich rear end in a top hat

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

monkeu posted:

Lol you sound like a poor with that attitude.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I can pay 32 dollars for physical Puyo Puyo Tetris, or I can pay 30 dollars for digital that I can take anywhere and can never possibly forget because it's always on my Switch.

OR you just leave the carts in a carrying case.

These aren't loving cds. Also since puyo puyo isn't a huge release it'll probs have decent resell if it's as limited run as it seems, plus the gimmicky keychains.

Also lol at the poverty argument, no wonder you don't buy carts because you have nobody to share them with. :smith:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BoI is good on the switch. I'm terrible at the game but it's good. I dunno about $40 good but....

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Don't you DARE try to get me into anime

anime and manga are insanely good

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The biggest crime voez did to me was get me to like miku songs

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

eonwe posted:

:yeah:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

eonwe posted:

Nah

Wendell
May 11, 2003

monkeu posted:

They'll literally be the retards holding everyone else up and wasting everyone else's time loading in slow as gently caress when everyone else is ready to start a multiplayer race

I wish I was joking

I wish you were too, because the reality of you being this bent out of shape over it is tragic.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
I absolutely love that the Nintendo switch thread thinks I must be rich or an rear end in a top hat if I can live my life and make ends meet without factoring the resale value of literal children's toys and games into my financial planning. Trust me, it says a lot more about you guys than it does about me :laugh:

monkeu fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 22, 2017

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I wipe my rear end with 20 dollar bills. Lol poors buying things physically

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If you can't afford the extra $10 for a digital release, then you probably shouldn't have bought a Switch to begin with. Might I recommend a cheaper alternative such as the NES classic...oh wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

monkeu posted:

I absolutely love that the Nintendo switch thread thinks I must be rich or an rear end in a top hat if I can live my life and make ends meet without factoring the resale value of literal children's toys and games into my financial planning last. Trust me, it says a lot more about you guys than it does about me :laugh:

I'm more amazed you don't realize how much 30 to 40 bucks helps people living paycheck to paycheck.

Also physical keeps jobs going for people too since retail is a large sector of employment for Americans even though they're heavily shafted wage wise.

Physical has only like two drawbacks and the fact I can't get poo poo for a bad digital game blows.

Also cool "lol poors buying entertainment" argument, glad you don't have any empathy for your fellow man lol

• Locked thread