Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

I mean really, no network improvements? wtf are they even thinking

They are thinking of that sweet sweet Hello Kitty demographics wallets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

thatguy posted:

This dude unironically types like :pgabz: in his videos.

Are you telling me that Major Tom is a fake? :ohdear:

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

boviscopophobic posted:

I know you're trolling right now, but while JPG lust would explain why a citizen would buy referrals possibly even over cost, it does not explain why anyone would sell referrals under cost.

In theory you could do something like sell the referral for $20 and then you still own a $40-$45 account that you could sell for $35-$40 giving you an overall gain of ~$15. Maybe they can do something else with the accounts. Melting and gifting/selling credits to some other account and there's some other angle to take advantage of to make it simpler to consolidate all the accounts and sell on at a discount.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Next thing you're telling me that Pgabz isn't a cute, if angry, dancing cat, but a fat 40-something norwegian

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

shrach posted:

In theory you could do something like sell the referral for $20 and then you still own a $40-$45 account that you could sell for $35-$40 giving you an overall gain of ~$15. Maybe they can do something else with the accounts. Melting and gifting/selling credits to some other account and there's some other angle to take advantage of to make it simpler to consolidate all the accounts and sell on at a discount.
yeah but to set up the accounts in bulk (several hundreds or thousands) you're talking a massive investment in the tens of thousands of dollar range

I'd bet the majority of these sold referrals are bought using fake or scammed CC numbers, there's no way someone is going to drop almost $100,000 on scoring a trip to Germany they can buy for $3k

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wuxi posted:

Next thing you're telling me that Pgabz isn't a cute, if angry, dancing cat, but a fat 40-something norwegian
can't we go like an afternoon without doxxing someone

jesus

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wuxi posted:

Are you telling me that Major Tom is a fake? :ohdear:

Dude's a wanker imo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/855530018981773313

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

I mean really, no network improvements? wtf are they even thinking

They're thinking they have only like 4 networking dudes to make the most ambitious multiplayer game to ever be attempted.

So scam.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

boviscopophobic posted:

CIG designers have some kind of ideological bias against being able to see things (e.g. helmet obstructions, Starfarer interior...) Their latest concept ship is no different. View from the pilot's seat:

They did a great job simulating the view of getting a lot of dental work done.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
without derek smart, these poor souls would be forced to play star citizen in its current state

they should be thanking him, not condemning him

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Missed the best part

quote:

Oh my sweet cuntiflas GentlyCaressOffGoonieTM

What is this even lol

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Just to be clear, this guy says it looks alike, but that's not enough for a copywrite claim. Yes, it is enough for a claim. If a court concludes that substantial identifying characteristics have been replicated, it's a violation. Moving the eyes, mouth, whiskers, ears, and bow around is no defense. If it's close enough to cause a rational person to think it's the protected property, you lose.

Just look at the situation of Captain Marvel. Marvel comics won a claim against DC Comics because Captain Marvel's back story was too similar to Superman. There was no explicit artwork copying, or literary copying. The character concept and behavior was enough to lose an intellectual property case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)

This Star Kitten Sally thing is a complete slam dunk in comparison, and nobody will accept it as spoof, parody, or satire.

Edit: I'm not a comic book guy. I think I fumbled up the claims between DC and Marvel as regards to Captain Marvel and Superman (and Shazam), but it's a spaghetti nightmare of intellectual property to begin with, and my fundamental point about copywrite remains unchanged. Read the wiki, you still won't really have any clear idea of anything.

XK fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 22, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

XK posted:

Just to be clear, this guy says it looks alike, but that's not enough for a copywrite claim. Yes, it is enough for a claim. If a court concludes that substantial identifying characteristics have been replicated, it's a violation. Moving the eyes, mouth, whiskers, ears, and bow around is no defense. If it's close enough to cause a rational person to think it's the protected property, you lose.

Just look at the situation of Captain Marvel. Marvel comics won a claim against DC Comics because Captain Marvel's back story was too similar to Superman. There was no explicit artwork copying, or literary copying. The character concept and behavior was enough to lose an intellectual property case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics)

This Star Kitten Sally thing is a complete slam dunk in comparison, and nobody will accept it as spoof, parody, or satire.

Star Citizen fans absolutely do not understand copyright and they use their own ignorance as justification for CIGs thieving ways

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Like all I'd have to do for the plaintiff is just print out all the subreddit posts of people referring to it as Hello Kitty.

Or just put two pictures of the two next to eachother and say lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is what CIG have reduced their own player base to :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw-zSS8P0Kk

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

shrach posted:

You are technically correct, but the margin on those accounts would only be pocket change. The grey market is trading stuff below value, and REC credits are at something like 70%. Even if you perfectly gamed it, on entirely legitimate accounts, you'd only make scraps of money. You'd have to deal with listing and selling those accounts, managing Paypal poo poo, transaction percentages, and making sure you didn't get charged back yourself.

Nobody is going to do that.

Bulk referral sales have to be some kind of fraud.

The listings even look like when hackers sell "100 credit card numbers, guaranteed good".

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

MinorInconvenience posted:

But if management wasn't stupid and they employed good programmers, is this actually possible?:
No. As soon as two instances start to communicate what you actually have is one instance.

What CIG is describing is a computer games version of a perpetual motion machine.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen fans absolutely do not understand copyright and they use their own ignorance as justification for CIGs thieving ways

This is exactly it. These are children and broken headed manchildren that collect disability that do not have professional careers in the subjects they profess to be scholars of nor any experience in those subjects by proxy. The amount of sheer ignorance is staggering.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen fans absolutely do not understand … and they use their own ignorance as justification …

Edited for efficiency.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

tooterfish posted:

No. As soon as two instances start to communicate what you actually have is one instance.

What CIG is describing is a computer games version of a perpetual motion machine.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

You are technically correct, but the margin on those accounts would only be pocket change. The grey market is trading stuff below value, and REC credits are at something like 70%. Even if you perfectly gamed it, on entirely legitimate accounts, you'd only make scraps of money. You'd have to deal with listing and selling those accounts, managing Paypal poo poo, transaction percentages, and making sure you didn't get charged back yourself.

Nobody is going to do that.

Bulk referral sales have to be some kind of fraud.

The listings even look like when hackers sell "100 credit card numbers, guaranteed good".

I was confused with what you were asking before. I thought you were asking about why a citizen would want to buy referrals. I kinda see now.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

Is this a straight up lie by the person hosting the video as well or do they intend to send 5k space cash to anyone that uses it?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Tippis posted:

Edited for efficiency.
How does it feel to be the teenage voice of Derek Smart?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Abongination posted:

Is this a straight up lie by the person hosting the video as well or do they intend to send 5k space cash to anyone that uses it?

I might be wrong but I think they get the 5k off CIG automatically when they use the code

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Loiosh posted:

Games I've played since SC 2.0:
Night in the Woods - Great
Snake Pass - Okay
Mass Effect: Andromeda - Meh
Rain World - Dark Souls the side-scroller
GTA 5 - Had a lot of fun in MP with this
Dragon Age: Inquisition - Pretty okay
Dishonored 2 - Great
Mad Max - Meh
Else Heart.Break() - Amazing, everyone should play this
For Honor - Meh
Hacknet - Fun
Owlboy - Great
Oxenfree - Great
Seasons after fall - Cute

Kind of a late reply, but.

Loiosh, your list gives the impression that you prefer smaller, more experimental "indie" type games. What was the appeal of SC? There's tons of cool small studio games out there that are crowdsourced, and many of them will actually ship. Do you give money to those type of projects as well?

e: Fixed a typo and hosed up quote tags.

Flared Basic Bitch fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 24, 2017

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Derek Smart's Home for Wayward Space Sims › Star Citizen:It's just a spoof

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

It will never not be funny watching these guys do what they do day in day out for no reason at all. Do they think one day they'll get a phone call off Columbo saying he needs their archives to crack the case wide open or something? It's loving brilliant :laugh:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

tooterfish posted:

Thank you for this. So no matter what, the backers aren't getting the game they think they are, even if it all works out in the end.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

TrustmeImLegit posted:

I was confused with what you were asking before. I thought you were asking about why a citizen would want to buy referrals. I kinda see now.

Oh yeah, it's the selling of referrals at below $45+ that doesn't make sense.

I could see one of the maniacs buying 10 referrals at $10 a piece to get that Hello Kitty shipbike for $100. Anything beyond that makes no sense whatsoever unless you're getting referrals for less than $5 each. It gets worse the further up the reward chart you go. The high end rewards would only be worth it if you're getting referrals at about $2 each.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Good to know that people getting their money refunded are false claims.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

TheAgent posted:

yeah but to set up the accounts in bulk (several hundreds or thousands) you're talking a massive investment in the tens of thousands of dollar range

I'd bet the majority of these sold referrals are bought using fake or scammed CC numbers, there's no way someone is going to drop almost $100,000 on scoring a trip to Germany they can buy for $3k

They're at most selling 10 packs of referrals. The buyer get's his Hello Kitty space bike for only $200. The seller gets $450 dollars worth of poo poo for $200. CIG gets $400 and 10 new accounts they can claim as unique people. Win win

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

XK posted:

Good to know that people getting their money refunded are false claims.

I'm running out of variations and accounts to use. Its exhausting.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

peter gabriel posted:

The Matrix: Forcing humans inside a hyper-realistic simulation to make the trapped bodies power the evil overlords with their energy.

Star Citizen: Humans power the evil overlords with their cash, in return for hearing stories about a hyper-realistic simulation that is coming REAL SOON NOW.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

thatguy posted:

How does it feel to be the teenage voice of Derek Smart?

You need to provide more context for that. :confused:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Tippis posted:

You need to provide more context for that. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Crikey!

Only registered members can see post attachments!